Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

"The city is running out of strategies," Anna Suarez told Fox. "I'm moving to Austin."

San Francisco homeless stats soar: city blames big business, residents blame officials

https://www.foxnews.com/us/san-francisco-homeless-stats-city-blames-big-business-residents-officials

and there in lies the problem... For the love of all that is holy please stay out of our city.. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TexasBeta said:

and there in lies the problem... For the love of all that is holy please stay out of our city.. 

This is where we are headed. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/20/homeless-people-los-angeles-la-builds-pricey-koreatown-apartments/1984064001/

$700K for an apartment? The cost to solve the homeless crisis is soaring in Los Angeles

• Projected per-unit cost of apartments for homeless ($700K) is greater than the county's median sales price for a home ($618K)
  • LOS ANGELES — As this city tries to cope with thousands of people living on the streets, a few homeless and low-income senior citizens will be luckier than most next year.
  • They will receive keys to one of 72 new apartments,complete with a fitness center, in the heart of trendy Koreatown, built at a projected cost of $690,692 for each unit, according to the city controller's office. Two additional projects in the pre-approval phase are expected to top $700,000 per unit in total costs.

"This kind of cost is utterly unacceptable," Controller Ron Galperin said. "I believe we need a fundamental course correction."

Oh shut up Ron, you heartless bastard.  What could you possibly know about ‘spending too much money to give homeless people apartments’?, you charlatan!

Narrator:  Ron was the Los Angeles Controller and chief budget examiner m, but after asking too many questions became head of delinquent billing at L.A. County Septic Services.  

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

This is where we are headed. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/20/homeless-people-los-angeles-la-builds-pricey-koreatown-apartments/1984064001/

$700K for an apartment? The cost to solve the homeless crisis is soaring in Los Angeles

• Projected per-unit cost of apartments for homeless ($700K) is greater than the county's median sales price for a home ($618K)
  • LOS ANGELES — As this city tries to cope with thousands of people living on the streets, a few homeless and low-income senior citizens will be luckier than most next year.
  • They will receive keys to one of 72 new apartments,complete with a fitness center, in the heart of trendy Koreatown, built at a projected cost of $690,692 for each unit, according to the city controller's office. Two additional projects in the pre-approval phase are expected to top $700,000 per unit in total costs.

"This kind of cost is utterly unacceptable," Controller Ron Galperin said. "I believe we need a fundamental course correction."

For reference, that would be one of the highest priced homes in Cedar Park.

Gavin Newsom’s ridiculous claim: ‘Vast majority’ of San Francisco’s homeless people come from Texas

https://www.politifact.com/california/statements/2019/aug/14/gavin-newsom/gavin-newsoms-ridiculous-claim-texas-responsible-s/

The Los Angeles Times first pointed out Newsom’s questionable statement about Texas, leading the California Republican Party to later call it "a baseless claim." 

As we all know, the city halfway located between San Francisco and Austin, where the homeless exchange continues to thrive is Tucson, Arizona.  They're the real enemy!  

They are creating a permanent dependent class. Zero incentive to better your situation when you are given free housing the middle class can’t afford. If you are a Public school teacher, nurse or janitor how you feeling?

ahould be temporary with the goal of being a stepping stone. Instead it’s the hobo home lotto. 

• Like 2

So I'm guessing enough businesses/rich people bitched.

https://www.kut.org/post/austin-looks-limit-camping-and-resting-public-it-pursues-housing-first-solutions

And also, yeah, gonna spend a shitload more money.

Austin Looks To Limit Camping And Resting In Public As It Pursues Housing-First Solutions

The Austin City Council provided some clarity Tuesday over where it will limit camping and resting in public, as well as its overall strategy to boost citywide, housing-focused initiatives and investments.

Council members heard a briefing from city staff on a memo released last week on solutions to homelessness in Austin – one that suggested the city abandon the prospect of city-sanctioned camping and parking areas for Austinites experiencing homelessness. City staff also suggested curtailing public areas where people could sit, lie or camp, saying neither align with the city's housing-first strategy.

Before the meeting, council members released a document outlining possibilities going forward, suggesting the city could limit camping or resting near:

• Streets with heavy foot traffic like Congress Avenue, Guadalupe Street and Sixth Street
  • the Austin Resource Center for the Homeless or other service facilities
  • schools and child care facilities
  • medians or other areas near roadways
  • sidewalks and areas in front of businesses

District 4 Council Member Greg Casar – who pushed for the city's June 20 scale-back of homelessness ordinances – said he was interested in "carefully tailored, nondiscriminatory restrictions." But Casar expressed concern that council not backslide into the old rules, which he and others said criminalized behavior associated with homelessness.

The discussion Tuesday also centered around longer-term solutions to house people experiencing homelessness, including the city's investment in the Salvation Army's 225-bed Rathgeber Center in East Austin, its establishment of a public-private fund to house chronically homeless Austinites, and transitional and permanent housing efforts funded by the 2018 housing bond.

Council Member Kathie Tovo questioned staff on short-term efforts to provide cleanups outside the city's pilot program– known as the purple bag program – which provides trash bags for encampments and pickup at four sites.

"I can't explain to people why we have not been able to do that at our underpasses, along Red River and in other areas where we need them," she said. "I really very much appreciate the purple bag pilot, but we have so many more sites that need trash pickup."

Tovo also requested updates on the city's efforts to provide three public restrooms. Mendoza said two of those portable toilets should be delivered to the city in November and the third is expected to be in Austin by the first of next year.

Council Member Alison Alter said the city is in an "in-between place" as it relates to homelessness. Camps have proliferated and become more visible since the June 20 vote, as the city awaits long-term solutions like more permanent and temporary housing for people transitioning out of homelessness.  

"I think we're trying to find ways to move in the short-term. We have plans in place to provide a lot of the housing-first solutions, but that takes a lot of time and it takes money," Alter said. "And we now have to deal with a situation on our hands – and we can debate how we got to that situation – but the fact is, we have a problem on our hands that we, as a community, have decided to address."

19 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Gavin Newsom’s ridiculous claim: ‘Vast majority’ of San Francisco’s homeless people come from Texas

https://www.politifact.com/california/statements/2019/aug/14/gavin-newsom/gavin-newsoms-ridiculous-claim-texas-responsible-s/

The Los Angeles Times first pointed out Newsom’s questionable statement about Texas, leading the California Republican Party to later call it "a baseless claim." 

Well, I did once meet a dragwork in Cancun so maybe just maybe...

Also, the City Manager said: “Homeless Strategy Office will respectfully not bring forth recommendations for authorized encampments nor options for parking areas.” which may get rid of the "we are going to have encampments in each district" spiel some were pushing.

I like that they increased the areas homeless can camp in, increasing their visibility and freaking a lot of people out, and now they are coming back and saying we need to actually house them.  Which was probably their goal all along.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

No fucking way they are that smart. This is them being reactionary as they have always been.

They've created a sense of urgency with some 90-day plan that they HAVE to come up with or something.  So that probably means buying up more buildings/real estate with little to no public input, etc.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Why does it take 3-6 months to get a portable toilet in here?  I get that it's not your run-of-the-mill portable toilet, but are they buying them from Switzerland or something?  Do they have those fancy European getups that completely spray down and sanitize every so often?

Built in Bidets

Edited by ZB'Tejas
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They've created a sense of urgency with some 90-day plan that they HAVE to come up with or something.  So that probably means buying up more buildings/real estate with little to no public input, etc.

Sounds like the kind of plan a group about to spend $9.0mm on real estate would have at least discussed prior to...you know...writing the check.  

Honest question---there are dozens of her voters on this board.  Can one of y'all please weigh in?  We all dislike Trump, I get it.  But what's your infatuation with her?  Why her?  What am I not seeing about her?  Everything she says and does makes my fucking teeth itch.  What did/do you all see in her that was not there with Dave Floyd?  

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Honest question---there are dozens of her voters on this board.  Can one of y'all please weigh in?  We all dislike Trump, I get it.  But what's your infatuation with her?  Why her?  What am I not seeing about her?  Everything she says and does makes my fucking teeth itch.  What did/do you all see in her that was not there with Dave Floyd?  

Not my district, but some did try and force a recall vote over her ride-sharing shenanigans, and they fucked up and didn't get the pages notarized or something (Austin conspiracies: Her supporters were handling the petitions and knew they weren't going to get them notarized).

Honestly, with how sucky the city council/management currently is, her suckiness has been diluted a little bit.

edit: In 2014, she won by 10,000 votes in a race that saw 16,000 votes.  Name recognition.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Isn't the saying never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity?

I'd eat my hat if Adler actually did that.  I really think it's a moot point though, unless the South Austin shelter is hit out of the park every other neighborhood is going to fight like hell to keep this from happening in their district.  Given the city's track record running homeless facilities what would you expect the chances of it getting off the ground without some bumps actually is?

RE: Kitchen, most recently she ran unopposed IIRC.  Much of her district is old (Austin) and thus love her, and probably the majority of the rest of her constituents are young and either a) don't vote at very high rates or b) aren't very informed and went by name recognition.

On 6/24/2019 at 3:45 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

lol, no they don’t. If they did they would support solutions rather than pour out in droves to testify against shelters. 

Some of it isn’t solvable at the local level, because you would need to make mental healthcare available to indigent people outside the criminal justice system.

But for the long term homeless population (which is who we are talking about) you need more projects like Community First. The main problem there is a lack of support for appropriate zoning inside the city limits. That’s why there’s only one Community First- any property available for stable housing for this population in high opportunity areas inside the city limits would (and has) faced intractable, furious opposition, which is ironic, because many of those people erecting barricades to housing also support the totally ineffective camping ban.

Here’s the main lesson I learned when my mother was a mentally ill homesless person in Austin: there are a many priests, even more Levites, and even a few Good Samaritans, and a vast majority who like the Jericho road just fine the way it is.

Like is said early on this thread:

On 8/19/2019 at 3:57 PM, atomheartbevo said:

If iWednesday is the first day of school,, then why the fuck am I dropping my kid off at school tomorrow morning?

but seriously, yeah, they could have done this last week or next week.  

Because 45% of the City of Austin does not live in AISD boundaries.  I realized when I typed that not everybody likes in another Austin-area school district.  And the rate at which districts like Del Valle and Pflugerville, et. al. are booming and the rate at which AISD is compressing...it'll be within the next decade that more Austinites don't live in AISD than do live within there.  

I know he wanted to host the event on Thursday morning (22 August), but we're busy throwing a $5,000 at him to have him come speak to a big pro-development real estate group tomorrow morning at the SFA Hotel.  And we're told that questions about homelessness are very discouraged, just stick to the script on new development codes, responsible growth, mobility, etc.