Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

20 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Take your bullshit to the music sub asshole.

What is this "sub asshole" of which you speak?  Is there an anatomy which I have yet to fully discover while in the throes of passion?  Do I really want to know?

23 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

What is this "sub asshole" of which you speak?  Is there an anatomy which I have yet to fully discover while in the throes of passion?  Do I really want to know?

The guy who laid two piles on 183 has a sub hole. 

Bozo, first of all I'm yanking your chain some here, but this ain't that hard brother.

Arguing vigourously for the rights of the homeless here in ATX to live the way they do, littering, defacating, urinating, polluting, spreading disease, etc, doesn't necessarily fit snugly in the same box with an ideology tethered to the welfare of the environment.

C'mon man, it's all ball bearings these days!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Really.. I toss a Beatles softball and you of music kind choose not to knock it out of the park.

To be in line with this thread... You're a real nowhere man... 

We all live in a Yellow Sub Asshole?

• Like 1

Obvious is obvious

https://mobile.twitter.com/DoubleO7akaTheC/status/1156598642121293824?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1156604456731127808&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kvue.com%2Farticle%2Fnews%2Finvestigations%2Fnew-homeless-shelter-could-cost-taxpayers-5-million-more-than-appraised-value%2F269-80b795b7-b829-4e31-8659-378de5eea60f

Or why that building had to be purchased when the city owned the Home Depot on St.Johns and 35 ? Large enough to accommodate a shelter , clinic and a full array of services.”

Kitchen: “In our quest to support the poor we must make sure we reward the rich first. Double the tax estimate is clearly lower than triple the estimate.  We need to make the property owner whole.”

Edited by ChickenSandwich

As I mentioned upthread my daughter works downtown. Evidently producers from the local news keep calling the business and coming by asking her and the managers about how it’s been since the end of the camping ban. Apparently when they say “pretty much the same” the producers are disappointed.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

8th and Neches. That has about 240 beds, but it’s nightly shelter only.

The Women and Children Shelter provides longer term temporary shelter, and usually gets people placed in 3 months.

Then you have the Salvation Army shelter in Mueller, and as a Mueller resident I’m glad that we were supportive and welcoming of the project instead of being dicks about it like the people losing their minds about the Ben White shelter.

Actually, it is 8th and Red River. I went there today to talk to the director.

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

As I mentioned upthread my daughter works downtown. Evidently producers from the local news keep calling the business and coming by asking her and the managers about how it’s been since the end of the camping ban. Apparently when they say “pretty much the same” the producers are disappointed.

Have her go talk to Joe Koen & Sons.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

You should call in to Todd and Donn

• Like 1

FWIW I've been in Seattle for almost a week, and I haven't seen any homeless camping except under the freeways.  Of course I've been staying in Belltown and haven't been to eastern downtown. There have been some panhandlers and a few sitting around, but it seems more tame than Austin.  I'm probably in the wrong part of town.  I was led to believe it was unbearable here.

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

FWIW I've been in Seattle for almost a week, and I haven't seen any homeless camping except under the freeways.  Of course I've been staying in Belltown and haven't been to eastern downtown. There have been some panhandlers and a few sitting around, but it seems more tame than Austin.  I'm probably in the wrong part of town.  I was led to believe it was unbearable here.

You evidently didn't watch this

9 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Have you ever been camping?  The human feces spread around the whole park, it's usually just in a few spots.  

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

Actually, it is 8th and Red River. I went there today to talk to the director.

8th and Red River is the former Mohawk/Caucus Club location.Salvation Army is 2 doors up 8th to Neches. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/501+E+8th+St,+Austin,+TX+78701/@30.2688693,-97.7360544,139a,35y,244.79h,44.99t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8644b5a68e0af97b:0xd48d3dbedf26e354!8m2!3d30.2682422!4d-97.737172 

16 hours ago, Fico said:

City is looking to re-trade on the price.  The appraisal didn't come in to support $8.6 Will probably be about a million bucks less.

CIty will find a way to get the appraisal to something north of $7MM.  But It's not worth that much. 

Well never mind the in accuracy nor the stupidity of the last comment,  but both of those statements contradict one another .

Mostly and any are not synonyms you fucking child.   I don’t want to mince words with a career attorney and politician , But then again his linguistic ineptitude keeps costing me money

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Fuck, I was driving there off of memory and I thought you had written 8th and Nueces. When I got there I used Siri and it took me to 10th and Red River and then to 8th and back a block.  None of it was out of the way because I was coming from N. Austin via Mopac.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Fuck, I was driving there off of memory and I thought you had written 8th and Nueces. When I got there I used Siri and it took me to 10th and Red River and then to 8th and back a block.  None of it was out of the way because I was coming from N. Austin via Mopac.

No worries - It's actually kind of a strange phenomenon that everybody has a mental picture of the Arch on the corner of Red River and 7th, and The Salvation Army a block up on Red River, even though both abut Neches. I've heard staff at St. David's say it, which is bizarre because they are across a huge surface parking lot from both. 

Interesting how you did it,  maybe it's because people conflate "Nueces" with "Neches".

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well never mind the in accuracy nor the stupidity of the last comment,  but both of those statements contradict one another .

Mostly and any are not synonyms you fucking child.   I don’t want to mince words with a career attorney and politician , But then again his linguistic ineptitude keeps costing me money

He lives in the linguistic gray area.

Without that and statistical cherry picking he doesn't exist.

58 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Listened to Adler on morning radio this am.

Pure comedy.

"These people are mostly from Austin..."

"I don't believe there's any migration of homeless to Austin..."

Can't make this shit up.

connect the dots. 

(city gov talking point #1: real estate prices) real estate price increase is driving people from their ancestral homes which dates back to independence from mexico. 

(city gov talking point #2: gentrification) these poor people are victims of gentrification of the east side. 

(city gov talking point #3: affordable housing) these victims had to move out to the burbs to find affordable housing which should be readily available in austin proper, nevermind that the city is willingly and knowingly over paying (over 2X) for property to sleep said victims thereby also driving up real estate prices, but i digress.

(city gov talking point #4: more bike lanes) these people had to quit their jobs because the commute into the city took forever so that's why we need even more mobility money for bike lanes, cause why the hell not?.

(city gov talking point #5: mandatory 2 week vacation) if these people had mandatory 2 week vacation, they could've dealt with the stress of the commute from the lack of mobility.

(city gov talking point #6: mental health services) due to the stress getting kicked out of the east side by whitey, stress of having to find affordable housing in the burbs, stress of not having bike lanes so that they can ride their bikes from hutto into town for work, these people had to quit their jobs, get addicted to meth, and lose their house due to not having mental health services readily available.

(city gov talking point #7: $15 min wage) after losing their job, they found work at mcdonalds but it only pays $11/hr.  if they had $15/hr, they could afford to upgrade to a faster bike. so they had to quit again and become more homeless.

(city gov talking point #8: all homeless are from austin) all of the above issues made these native austin people homeless.

Edited by crash_davis

44 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Wonder how many of those 70-100 would welcome a shelter next door to their home?

0-1?

That's a very interesting question. It's worth mentioning again that there has been no protest of the Rathgeber Center in Mueller, which will have 2X the number of beds that the Ben White Shelter will. It's genuinely interesting.

Do you think that's more a result of Mueller residents buying into a relatively new and constantly evolving neighborhood understanding that it was going to be a dense, mixed use, city project that would include substantial housing for the working poor/lower middle and a variety of social services, or the fact that Rathgeber is a Salvation Army shelter and not a Front Steps/COA shelter?

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

I think a big point of contention for the folks in that area was the proximity to two elementary schools.  Mueller has young people nearby but not in such a concentrated number so close to this new proposed location.  I get what you're saying though.  My issue with the Ben White property was the cloaked transaction that just screams stupid and/or corruption.

Fucking-A, all of this makes me look at Pinnacle and think about how much actual change we could affect as a city for this population if ACC would quit spending money like a drunken sailor on shore leave.  

Ben White people are pissed because the area is already overrun with homeless.  They are fearful, and rightly so, that putting a homeless shelter in the area is going to be a big fucking beacon to attract even more homeless to the area and make an already bad situation worse.  May or may not happen but their fears are founded.  If I had property in the area, I sure the fuck would be against the new center.

Or hey, have the city pay the $3Mish market price and dole out the other $4-5M that the city was going spend to the people around that area for their troubles.  At least they would be getting a reach around before they get butt fucked with no lube.

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Ben White people are pissed because the area is already overrun with homeless. 

Not sure what you mean by overrun by. Do you think there are more homeless people in the neighborhoods surrounding that location than in and around Mueller? That seems extremely far-fetched. The picture on the chronicle cover story is next to Mueller. There are at least three good sized homeless camps in Mueller. Mueller abuts I35. We don't have a bad situation, by the way. I'm extremely that a Ben White shelter will "attract" homeless more than a larger Shelter in Mueller will.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think a big point of contention for the folks in that area was the proximity to two elementary schools.  Mueller has young people nearby but not in such a concentrated number so close to this new proposed location.  I get what you're saying though.  My issue with the Ben White property was the cloaked transaction that just screams stupid and/or corruption.

Fucking-A, all of this makes me look at Pinnacle and think about how much actual change we could affect as a city for this population if ACC would quit spending money like a drunken sailor on shore leave.  

I get what you are saying, but just as an FYI Mueller has an extremely high concentration of young families and children by virtue of the housing and price point mix, and because of the design of the place kids here tend to be more "free range" than most neighborhoods in Austin.