Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

Texas Health and Safety Code - HEALTH & SAFETY § 365.012. Illegal Dumping;  Discarding Lighted Materials;  Criminal Penalties

(a) A person commits an offense if the person disposes or allows or permits the disposal of litter or other solid waste at a place that is not an approved solid waste site, including a place on or within 300 feet of a public highway, on a right-of-way, on other public or private property, or into inland or coastal water of the state.

Yeah, well, about that...

Greenbelt-

homelesscamp-660x400.jpg

Ben White and Burleson-

jwj-Homeless-0620.jpg

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Yeah, well, about that...

Greenbelt-

homelesscamp-660x400.jpg

Ben White and Burleson-

jwj-Homeless-0620.jpg

But... but... the new laws will make it even MORE likely that people who do this type of thing will be arrested and prosecuted!!  No really, I read it on here!

DimFinishedBangeltiger-size_restricted.g
Edited by phdhorn

4 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

The link you provided doesn't support your assertions at all. Did you even read it?  Using data from the 80s in Austin, the homeless were no more likely to commit rape and murder than the general male population.  However, for burglary, general theft, robbery, and car theft, homeless persons were much more likely to commit these offenses (see Table 3).  Do you have other references?  

I said it was a place to start, and no unfortunately I don't have a single source that encapsulates what I've learned (both hands on and on my own time, as I have no social service education) about criminal behavior and homelessness over 5 years as convenient as that would be for these kind of conversations (in fact supremely convenient enough that it's probably something I can do on company time). So I am willing to go back and find other research and sources and get back to you on it, but how about all the people spouting off vitriol and violence on the opposite topic bring some worthwhile evidence to the table as well.

Here is something I have handy right now that links to other research:

http://www.icjia.state.il.us/articles/the-intersection-of-homelessness-and-the-criminal-justice-system

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Look at you three. It’s like you just discovered hobo jungles. So now you don’t want them in the woods?

Please call Todd and Donn so they can make your mind up for you.

I'm too busy listening to Ed Clements repeat over and over what he truly beilieves are entertaining and insigtful points all the while attempting not to hurt anyone's feelings.

As to this -

So now you don’t want them in the woods?

So you hate the environment?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Cajun said:

I'm too busy listening to Ed Clements repeat over and over what he truly beilieves are entertaining and insigtful points all the while attempting not to hurt anyone's feelings..

LOL, was just listening to him/KLBJbfor the first time in ages just a few minutes ago on the way home. It was one of those episodes where you turned red with embarrassment even though there's nobody in the car, it's so embarrassing. God bless that guy for being able to get paid for that quality of radio.

I like Ed, but goddamn he just beats on the same old points over and over and he truly believes his takes are gritty and poignant.  

And the non-stop disclaimers/virtue signalling are beyond ridiculous.  It's easy to see why Ward just walks all over him when they're in the studio together.  

I mean, Jeff walks all over everybody, but Ed actually deserves it.

His breakdown today of the debate last night is why the facepalm meme was invented.

Edited by Cajun

Some poor girl was on the sidewalk at 3rd and Congress today when some homeless guy charged at her yelling, "You're so hot!", and tried to wrap his arms around her. Some random dude ran up and yanked him off her. Good job, random dude.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Deej said:

Some poor girl was on the sidewalk at 3rd and Congress today when some homeless guy charged at her yelling, "You're so hot!", and tried to wrap his arms around her. Some random dude ran up and yanked him off her. Good job, random dude.

Was it the new shirtless, barefoot guy (at least new to me) that has been wandering there and on over to Lavaca the last few days? He’s been pretty aggressive.

36 minutes ago, RCRanger03 said:

I said it was a place to start, and no unfortunately I don't have a single source that encapsulates what I've learned (both hands on and on my own time, as I have no social service education) about criminal behavior and homelessness over 5 years as convenient as that would be for these kind of conversations (in fact supremely convenient enough that it's probably something I can do on company time). So I am willing to go back and find other research and sources and get back to you on it, but how about all the people spouting off vitriol and violence on the opposite topic bring some worthwhile evidence to the table as well.

Here is something I have handy right now that links to other research:

http://www.icjia.state.il.us/articles/the-intersection-of-homelessness-and-the-criminal-justice-system

Thanks.  My read of the studies linked in this document (and others) is that the homeless are actually more likely to commit crimes than the average citizen , adjusted for race, age, etc, particularly property crime like theft and burglary.  Some studies, however, find higher rates of violent crime as well.  For example, this one (which is linked in the above document) uses national data and finds that among those arrested for violent crime, 13% were homeless (see Table 2), compared to the population rate of homelessness of about 1-2%.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Deej said:

homeless people cannot get laid due to their unsavory lifestyle.  the city council will allow them to rape people just as long as they are not impeding the flow of traffic.

Thanks.  My read of the studies linked in this document (and others) is that the homeless are actually more likely to commit crimes than the average citizen , adjusted for race, age, etc, particularly property crime like theft and burglary.  Some studies, however, find higher rates of violent crime as well.  For example, this one (which is linked in the above document) uses national data and finds that among those arrested for violent crime, 13% were homeless (see Table 2), compared to the population rate of homelessness of about 1-2%.  

Thank you for engaging in a thoughtful reasoned discussion. Now that im home its my only time witht the kids and im not spending it on here but ill follow up tomorrow with some thoughts. I believe that increased criminality is often directly resulting from effectively criminalizing homelessnes like the repealed ordinances leading to desperation of not having a secure place to sleep,eat,hydrate, exacerbated mental illness presentation due to the former.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deej said:

shame she wasn’t carrying a gun. 

Look at you three. It’s like you just discovered hobo jungles. So now you don’t want them in the woods?

Please call Todd and Donn so they can make your mind up for you.
Just like Casar and the merry band of morons make up your mind.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Good news everyone, Council is forming a "Corporation" (Their word, not mine) to accept donations to help the homeless.  

What a wonderful way to tell the non-profits that have been expending blood, sweat, and tears for decades to help this population..."Fuck you, we got it from here."  

I can't wait to hear one of you explain, after you're done lecturing us on how much you do via these non-profits to help this population, how this is better.  

Edited by Lobo

Where is the downtown Salvation Army housing?

8th and Neches. That has about 240 beds, but it’s nightly shelter only.

The Women and Children Shelter provides longer term temporary shelter, and usually gets people placed in 3 months.

Then you have the Salvation Army shelter in Mueller, and as a Mueller resident I’m glad that we were supportive and welcoming of the project instead of being dicks about it like the people losing their minds about the Ben White shelter.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

The Illinois study also says this, which is interesting in light of the current discussions going on in Austin and this thread.

Repeal Laws that Criminalize Homelessness

"Legislatively, repealing ordinances that target the homeless, like panhandling or sleeping on benches, can reduce minor nuisance crime arrests.

"The National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty recommends that governments stop enforcing nuisance crimes, even in the absence of statutory changes. Many states, including Illinois, have passed Bill of Rights for the Homeless Acts, which attempts to decrease arrests for nuisance crimes. Such legislation can mitigate the deleterious effect of laws that criminalize the state of homelessness."

47 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

We could figure out a way to solve 2 problems at once.

Put together a fund and start buying Bird and Uber gift cards to give to the homeless so they can ride the scooters around town.  Darwin will take it from there

sure.  why the fuck not.  we are already spending $8.6M and another $2.3M/year to sleep 100 of them (What a great return on investment, each bed will cost $23,000 per year to maintain, not including initial $8.6M capital.  What the fuck are planning to feed the homeless there every night, ribeye steaks?) what's a few million more to assist their mobility.  since austin city council loves spending copious amounts of money on mobility and homeless, this is fucking perfect!!!!!!!!

24 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

sure.  why the fuck not.  we are already spending $8.6M and another $2.3M/year to sleep 100 of them (What a great return on investment, each bed will cost $23,000 per year to maintain, not including initial $8.6M capital.  What the fuck are planning to feed the homeless there every night, ribeye steaks?) what's a few million more to assist their mobility.  since austin city council loves spending copious amounts of money on mobility and homeless, this is fucking perfect!!!!!!!!

May they could deliver Ribeye Steaks on scooters?  Throw in the mobile hot spot necklaces and you’ve got a stew going. 

2 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

I make a motion that hobo jungle becomes the new CR forum title.

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Second the motion. What do we need to do to make this happen? 

Don't like no one lissen to The Band no more?
Forum even would got its own theme song:

The Hobo Jungle
There was a chill that night in the hobo jungle

Over the train yard lay a smooth coat of frost
And although nobody here really knows where they're goin'
At the very same time nobody's lost

Then the fire went out and the night grew still
This old man lay frozen on the cold, cold ground
He was a stray bird and the road was his callin'
Ridin' the rods
Sleepin' under the stars
Playin' the harp from a rollin' box car