Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

7 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Working for Apple is worth a lot more than $10k in millennial street cred though.

We can take it to another thread but the few Apple L1’s we’ve hired over have been extremely inexperienced and know next to nothing about coding or log reading which is essential to move up in the tech area.  Make 10k more at most companies while getting real world/applicable experience is worth far more than their stupid name recognition street cred.

so what about camping on the front stoop of an empty building?

right at the entrance to our neighborhood is a building, used to be a tanning salon but has been empty for about 6-9 mos. as of this past weekend, someone is camping by the front door, it is covered and is pretty large.

if you turn on the street you drive by the back, and there's clearly 'car camping' going on back there.  it's pulled up as close as it can to the back of the building...trunk is open, clothes and blankets are draped over the trunk lid and windows, other belongings spread around...

it's maybe 50 yards from the first house on the street. 

i don't want to be a hardass, but i'm afraid it's going to grow. not a great look for the entrance to a neighborhood in 78757 🤨

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

right at the entrance to our neighborhood is a building, used to be a tanning salon but has been empty for about 6-9 mos. as of this past weekend, someone is camping by the front door, it is covered and is pretty large.

if you turn on the street you drive by the back, and there's clearly 'car camping' going on back there.  it's pulled up as close as it can to the back of the building...trunk is open, clothes and blankets are draped over the trunk lid and windows, other belongings spread around...

i don't want to be a hardass, but i'm afraid it's going to grow. not a great look for the entrance to a neighborhood in 78757 🤨

I'm a former resident of The Woo in 78757. Is this off of Burnet next to Bill Millers?

If so, maybe ask Victor from the neighborhood FB page for his thoughts. He's usually money on issues such as crosswalks and birds in the area.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomahawk dunk said:

I'm a former resident of The Woo in 78757. Is this off of Burnet next to Bill Millers?

If so, maybe ask Victor from the neighborhood FB page for his thoughts. He's usually money on issues such as crosswalks and birds in the area.

Holy shit. That guy is nuts on the neighborhood page. Thanks for letting us know about the 1000th of an inch of rain you got, buddy 

• Like 2

Wife and I saw a guy passed out on the sidewalk getting medical attention in the west 6th area last Saturday afternoon. About an hour later we were in an Uber to the east side and saw him on the sidewalk near Dell Seton, hanging out near an encampment talking to people. Pretty sure he used the ambulance as an Uber home.

giphy.gif

Edited by BradInATX

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Wife and I saw a guy passed out on the sidewalk getting medical attention in the west 6th area last Saturday afternoon. About an hour later we were in an Uber to the east side and saw him on the sidewalk near the hospital, hanging out near an encampment talking to people. Pretty sure he used the ambulance as an Uber home.

giphy.gif

Bill's in the mail.  

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

other cities around the country.

"hey cool, austin has $63M to splurge on the homeless, let's send our homeless there.  one way bus tickets for everyone!"

Yep.  Your $28.5k/person problem is someone else’s $200/person bus ticket problem. 

Houston has reduced its homeless population by half since 2011 by following the example of Salt Lake City and has offered permanent housing, addiction treatment and other resources to the homeless. It is a cheaper and more humane solution to house them in an apartment than allowing them to camp in public areas and have them wallow in filth, creating an unsafe environment for everyone. My church used to serve breakfast every weekday to the homeless for more than 2 decades. That stopped after coordinating with the city and other charities when it was determined that it was not actually beneficial to ending homelessness. You'd think Austin would follow the examples of Texas cities like San Antonio and Houston with their successful programs than the awful examples of Seattle, LA and SF. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/07/02/why-homelessness-going-down-houston-dallas/

gsoda's recommended action for Austin, which was blithely dismissed by bozo, has been successful in Houston:

"The change was achieved with a lot of coordination among Parker, HUD, police, businesses and about 100 organizations. Eva Thibaudeau-Graczyk, chief program officer of the Coalition for the Homeless, said the collaboration “brought new partners to the table with resources that had never been there before.”

Among them was the Houston Housing Authority. “Prior, they’ve never seen themselves as a leader or a main partner in ending homelessness,” Thibaudeau-Graczyk explained. But since then, this agency was key, allowing the city to complement the funds for homelessness provided by HUD with the resources that were already available for affordable housing.

“This starts off with a simple dictate: The solution to homelessness is a home,” said Andy Icken, chief development officer for Turner, the current mayor. “Our focus was to create permanent supportive housing, so that we're not continually cycling people in and out of shelters, temporary or more permanent shelters.”

The good results translated into more funds from HUD because part of that money was tied to performance. From 2008 to 2018, Houston added more than $18 million. To put that in perspective, in 2018, Dallas’ total funds from HUD were $16.5 million.

The scenario from 20 years ago, when different organizations would serve food, give clothes or offer shelter — all done separately — has changed. There’s now constant communication between these institutions and a digital database called the Homeless Management Information System, which allows people at several organizations to understand each case. Most cities today have HMIS in place, but Houston was quick to adopt it, and that helped organizations strategize, analyze, share information and find personalized solutions."

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, mchookem said:

The post office on Far West has provided overnight lodging to transients for a few years now with the doors being unlocked 24/7.

I am Katfid.

I was driving from Cabo Bobs on Anderson Lane and saw a homeless guy fall down 3 times in the 15 seconds it took to drive by. I called 9 1 1 to inform them of the emergency and the guy asked for the details and then asked what the guy looked like. Homeless? The fuck do I know? What was he wearing? Clothes. The fuck do I know? At least I could provide the intersection.

On 8/7/2019 at 2:20 PM, Iconoclast Texan said:

Houston has reduced its homeless population by half since 2011 by following the example of Salt Lake City and has offered permanent housing, addiction treatment and other resources to the homeless. It is a cheaper and more humane solution to house them in an apartment than allowing them to camp in public areas and have them wallow in filth, creating an unsafe environment for everyone. My church used to serve breakfast every weekday to the homeless for more than 2 decades. That stopped after coordinating with the city and other charities when it was determined that it was not actually beneficial to ending homelessness. You'd think Austin would follow the examples of Texas cities like San Antonio and Houston with their successful programs than the awful examples of Seattle, LA and SF. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/07/02/why-homelessness-going-down-houston-dallas/

gsoda's recommended action for Austin, which was blithely dismissed by bozo, has been successful in Houston:

"The change was achieved with a lot of coordination among Parker, HUD, police, businesses and about 100 organizations. Eva Thibaudeau-Graczyk, chief program officer of the Coalition for the Homeless, said the collaboration “brought new partners to the table with resources that had never been there before.”

Among them was the Houston Housing Authority. “Prior, they’ve never seen themselves as a leader or a main partner in ending homelessness,” Thibaudeau-Graczyk explained. But since then, this agency was key, allowing the city to complement the funds for homelessness provided by HUD with the resources that were already available for affordable housing.

“This starts off with a simple dictate: The solution to homelessness is a home,” said Andy Icken, chief development officer for Turner, the current mayor. “Our focus was to create permanent supportive housing, so that we're not continually cycling people in and out of shelters, temporary or more permanent shelters.”

The good results translated into more funds from HUD because part of that money was tied to performance. From 2008 to 2018, Houston added more than $18 million. To put that in perspective, in 2018, Dallas’ total funds from HUD were $16.5 million.

The scenario from 20 years ago, when different organizations would serve food, give clothes or offer shelter — all done separately — has changed. There’s now constant communication between these institutions and a digital database called the Homeless Management Information System, which allows people at several organizations to understand each case. Most cities today have HMIS in place, but Houston was quick to adopt it, and that helped organizations strategize, analyze, share information and find personalized solutions."

Please point to where bozo blithely dismissed the notion of giving the homeless a home.

On 8/7/2019 at 2:20 PM, Iconoclast Texan said:

Yeah but if they follow Houston’s example they don’t get to take sightseeing trips to LA and SF where they can spend the whole time sniffing their own farts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

Yeah but if they follow Houston’s example they don’t get to take sightseeing trips to LA and SF where they can spend the whole time sniffing their own farts.

It also means that the individuals who qualify would be scattered around the city in permanent supportive housing like they are in Houston. There would not be a central location away from the city core.

And that's cool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

No need to worry about that.  They can just take shits on the sidewalk and smell their own real thing.

Asking for a friend...serious question:

can you now take a piss downtown on a tree and when the police approach you, Declare yourself homeless and be okay?   

I mean maybe the ordinance repeal didn’t expressly say “piss on the streets”,  but when you allow “camping” outdoors in public spaces downtown.......everybody of every political stripe knows that part of camping is pissing outside.  They don’t have to also expressly say “homeless can now eat outside as well”.  We know living outside means you eat outside.  You sleep outside.  We also know it means you piss outside.  

Where does the all-star city council weigh in on this hot topic?   

Can’t wait to hear the reaction of Texas fans and visiting fans, especially LSU fans, to the new homeless free for all. The LaTech game will be my first visit to Austin since our last game. I will be staying downtown like usual and am curious to see the difference.

42 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Can’t wait to hear the reaction of Texas fans and visiting fans, especially LSU fans, to the new homeless free for all. The LaTech game will be my first visit to Austin since our last game. I will be staying downtown like usual and am curious to see the difference.

You'll notice a difference because you want to. 

Most people will see a typical big city.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2019 at 1:35 PM, Bevo said:

I am Katfid.

I was driving from Cabo Bobs on Anderson Lane and saw a homeless guy fall down 3 times in the 15 seconds it took to drive by. I called 9 1 1 to inform them of the emergency and the guy asked for the details and then asked what the guy looked like. Homeless? The fuck do I know? What was he wearing? Clothes. The fuck do I know? At least I could provide the intersection.

spacer.png

I've actively used the shit app in San Francisco before.  Please tell me there's one for Austin already?  Because between the needles, condoms, broken glass bottles, and piles of steaming human feces...I think this tech savvy startup town of ours has its next project right in front of it!  Some sort of reverse, iToilet by Costanza

Edited by Lobo

So the mayor and a few All-Star council members have decided to have a open forum Townhall at the convention center on Wednesday morning.   9:00 AM on the first day of public school was the best idea they could come up with to get a fair and representative cross-section of Austin stakeholders on this issue. 

I’ll let the pissing contest resume on who cares the most about homeless issues.

Just remember the  politicians that you masturbate to at night literally thought the morning of the first day of school was the fairest idea with which to hold a forum 

It’s impossible some of you were this stupid

Edited by Lobo

So the mayor and a few All-Star council members have decided to have a open forum Townhall at the convention center on Wednesday morning.   9:00 AM on the first day of public school was the best idea they could come up with to get a fair and representative cross-section of Austin stakeholders on this issue. 
 I’ll let the pissing contest resume on who cares the most about homeless issues.
 Just remember the  politicians that you masturbate to at night literally thought the morning of the first day of school was the fairest idea with which to hold a forum 
It’s impossible some of you were this stupid

The meetingocracy in action