2019 Women's World Cup - Do It Back to Back

ztejas

9 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

I did not see a reply of the first foul where US got a penalty kick.  I saw the second one and thought, when I first saw it, it was a BS call on Spain.  It looked to me as if she had gone for the ball first, not the shin/leg.

both were correctly called by letter of the law. First one was a no doubter. Second was soft, but right.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Not sure I agree with Roger here. Maybe the "gap has closed" a bit but I thought Spain played really well and thought our back-line and decision making up front was poor. We can play better than we did this morning, I'm not sure Spain can really play much better than they did. 

So maybe it's going to be 3 more tough matches but I wouldn't take this game as evidence of that. We still ass-blasted our competition in the group stage and should have hung more than 2 goals on Sweden. 

Yeah, that's another technical rule violation. I still think the offside rule should be based on daylight. If there is daylight between the farthest upfield part of the offensive player and the farthest downfield part of the second to last defensive player then it's offside, otherwise play on. But by the current rules that was offside.

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not sure I agree with Roger here. Maybe the "gap has closed" a bit but I thought Spain played really well and thought our back-line and decision making up front was poor. We can play better than we did this morning, I'm not sure Spain can really play much better than they did. 

So maybe it's going to be 3 more tough matches but I wouldn't take this game as evidence of that. We still ass-blasted our competition in the group stage and should have hung more than 2 goals on Sweden. 

We "ass blasted" teams from CONMEBOL and Asia that shouldn't have been in the tournament.

Spain has only recently started giving a shit about women's soccer and Real Madrid just announced they're starting a women's team so presumably it's just going to get better. TV ratings around the globe are great for the tournament. 7 million people in Italy watched their women's team play Brazil in the group stage so presumably some of the Serie A teams are going to start caring too.

If Sweden hangs on here UEFA should get 7 of 8 teams in the QF (Italy and Netherlands are favored tomorrow). UEFA is trending upwards in women's soccer, particularly in the countries where men's soccer has been dominant at the club level. How much the gap has closed remains to be seen, but the gap is undeniably closing.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, that's another technical rule violation. I still think the offside rule should be based on daylight. If there is daylight between the farthest upfield part of the offensive player and the farthest downfield part of the second to last defensive player then it's offside, otherwise play on. But by the current rules that was offside.

yeah, i get that the letter of the law makes her offside in that instance, but damn, that's some minute technical call. the spirit of offside is more in line with your daylight idea. 

1 minute ago, ATLLonghorn said:

We "ass blasted" teams from CONMEBOL and Asia that shouldn't have been in the tournament.

Spain has only recently started giving a shit about women's soccer and Real Madrid just announced they're starting a women's team so presumably it's just going to get better. TV ratings around the globe are great for the tournament. 7 million people in Italy watched their women's team play Brazil in the group stage so presumably some of the Serie A teams are going to start caring too.

If Sweden hangs on here UEFA should get 7 of 8 teams in the QF (Italy and Netherlands are favored tomorrow). UEFA is trending upwards in women's soccer, particularly in the countries where men's soccer has been dominant at the club level. How much the gap has closed remains to be seen, but the gap is undeniably closing.

Okay but surely you agree that,

Huge respect to Spain who unfurled tactical and technical skills European teams have honed to close gap with USWNT.

Is a pretty subjective way to put it, right? I don't think Spain wins more than 5 if you play that game 100 times. They had 18 fouls to our 4. 

And as far as the gap goes, let's keep in mind women's soccer is getting better in the US too. This is probably the best team we've ever had. 

We'll see what happens Friday. I haven't seen enough to tell me that the US isn't still the overwhelming favorite yet, and I would be shocked if anyone beats us.  

The emerging Euro powers are just passing the historically strong teams that are aging out of their golden generations (China is way past it while Japan, Brazil and Canada are in decline and Australia are treading water). 

Germany, France and the U.S. still have the most depth as they have for the past decade.

1 hour ago, ATLLonghorn said:

It can't be said enough how bad Fox is at broadcasting this event. One analyst put the blame squarely on Sauerbrunn for the goal when it was a horrifically dumb decision by Naeher to play the ball there and for the love of god can networks stop letting Alexi Lalas talk about anything that isn't MLS or the USMNT? He's bad enough there but at least he played in MLS and for the USMNT. He's out of his depth talking about women's soccer and other men's soccer.

By that logic, he should be allowed to comment on Serie A too.

Edited by Kringelbert Fishtybuns

It's not just a current interpretation, that's how it's always been since they changed the rule to state being level with the defensive player.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Okay but surely you agree that,

Huge respect to Spain who unfurled tactical and technical skills European teams have honed to close gap with USWNT.

Is a pretty subjective way to put it, right? I don't think Spain wins more than 5 if you play that game 100 times. They had 18 fouls to our 4. 

And as far as the gap goes, let's keep in mind women's soccer is getting better in the US too. This is probably the best team we've ever had. 

We'll see what happens Friday. I haven't seen enough to tell me that the US isn't still the overwhelming favorite yet, and I would be shocked if anyone beats us.  

95 out of 100?  When we didn't score from open play?  Neither penalty broke up what looked like an eminent threat either.

Edited by WBT

3 hours ago, WBT said:

95 out of 100?  When we didn't score from open play?  Neither penalty broke up what looked like an eminent threat either.

QpQ, the spain goal was the result of egregiously bad goalkeeping 25 feet off her line and stationary when she had 3 seconds to backpedal and easily get in position to stop a chip.

That said spain pressed high and went full aggro, it warped Morgan's brain running herself off multiple times with no situational awareness.  And instead of playing through the press with diagonals we went to the air and it was a re-run of 2015.

It's on Ellis to get them to pull their heads out of their asses and come up with a game plan for France who are going to see what Spain did and give 1980s Millwall a run for their money.  And with home soil, if we thought today's aggro was bad, just wait.

13 hours ago, alincoln said:

For all the consternation about Spain, remember that the U.S. only beat a shit Colombia 2-0 in the Round of 16 in 2015 and a very average China 1-0 in the Final 8.

Very different teams though. That team was constructed with a focus on defense, while this is a much more complete team. That team scored 14 goals all tournament. This team did that in just over 100 minutes of play.

In the end both teams had questions. The 2015 team answered theirs. Can this iteration? 

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

It's on Ellis to get them to pull their heads out of their asses and come up with a game plan for France ....

Well shit. We're fucked. I though Hope Solo was being bitter calling out Ellis before the tournament. But the adage proves true, just because you're crazy, doesn't mean your wrong.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

this is a much more complete team. That team scored 14 goals all tournament. This team did that in just over 100 minutes of play.

In the end both teams had questions. The 2015 team answered theirs. Can this iteration? 

This team is much deeper but the 2015 arguably had a better starting 11.  I would take the entire 2015 back 5 over the 2019 back 5.  I would also take a younger Rapinoe and Heath over an older Rapinoe and Heath.  Lauren Holiday was a beast in 2015 and Carli Lloyd was the best player in the world.  Morgan was hurt in both tourneys.  Horan is an upgrade over Morgan Brian but that is the only clear improvement.

We have scored 4 goals in 3 games since Thailand that weren't OGs or PKs.  

The team could use an elite coach.  

Soccer doesn’t need VAR to make its officiating any more laughable. Aren’t there more than enough clownish actors already littering the landscape to distract viewers?

On the plus side, Official reviews provide a convenient opportunity to go pee and get another cold beverage .. a break in the non-stop action we can appreciate. 

3 hours ago, alincoln said:

This team is much deeper but the 2015 arguably had a better starting 11.  I would take the entire 2015 back 5 over the 2019 back 5.  I would also take a younger Rapinoe and Heath over an older Rapinoe and Heath.  Lauren Holiday was a beast in 2015 and Carli Lloyd was the best player in the world.  Morgan was hurt in both tourneys.  Horan is an upgrade over Morgan Brian but that is the only clear improvement.

We have scored 4 goals in 3 games since Thailand that weren't OGs or PKs. 

This is a pretty solid assessment. I think that Slate article (the one that the Men In Blazers guy quoted) was WAY to nice about this team. I don't even know if this team not winning it all would be as disappointing as 2011. I think they are good, but I think there have been better teams/pieces.

And I think your closing ...

The team could use an elite coach. 

Spot on, it bring us back to this:

On 6/20/2019 at 2:07 PM, gsoda3 said:

i'd like to give jill ellis a cycle with the USMNT to see what she can do.

It would be a complete disaster. Ellis isn't a good coach. She wins because she has super talented teams, but some of her game day decisions are just bad. The Spain game exposed them too - personel, sub strategy, Horan, etc. You think the men look lost now?

19 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

It would be a complete disaster. Ellis isn't a good coach. She wins because she has super talented teams, but some of her game day decisions are just bad. The Spain game exposed them too - personel, sub strategy, Horan, etc. You think the men look lost now?

Yep. She’s below average tactically as a manager. She’s won a lot because her team is much more talented than almost everyone. There was no real adjustment to what Spain was doing.

Waiting until the 85th minute to make your first sub when it is 90 degrees and the other team had 3 more days rest is just plain incompetence. 

The longtime veterans have really run the USWNT since DiCicco left after the 99 WC.  Sermanni tried to shake things up and the players basically staged a coup