Meet Samuel Little, America's most successful serial likker

Parliament

A Texas prosecutor said Friday that investigators have linked more than 60 killings in at least 14 states to a 79-year-old California inmate who may be the most prolific serial killer in U.S. history.

Ector County District Attorney Bobby Bland said Samuel Little continues to cooperate with investigators from around the country who interrogate him in prison about cold case killings dating back to the 1970s. Among those who spoke to him were investigators from Ohio, where Little grew up and where he’s suspected of killing at least five women.

Little was convicted of killing three Los Angeles-area women and pleaded guilty to killing a Texas woman, and he’s serving life sentences in California. Little, who lived a nomadic lifestyle, claims to have killed 93 women as he crisscrossed the country over the years.

https://www.apnews.com/3bb015f58147476e8e5a50a97ed460b3

Investigators who interviewed a serial killer about two victims he said he killed described him Friday as a friendly, normal-appearing person with chillingly abnormal desires.

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters announced that Samuel Little has been indicted for the 1981 murder of Anna Lee Stewart. She was last seen alive in Cincinnati. Her body was dumped in Grove City, near Columbus.

Little, who claims to have killed more than 90 women, is also charged with a second murder in Cincinnati. He confessed to killing a woman whose identity remains a mystery.

Little, who turned 79 Friday, told investigators he targeted women who wouldn’t be missed right away, such as street people or prostitutes, and whose necks appealed to him for strangulation, which gave him sexual gratification.

“To him, strangulation was sex,” said Mark Piepmeier, chief assistant Hamilton County prosecutor. “That’s how bizarre this person is. That struck both of us as ‘this cat’s different than anybody we normally deal with.’ ”

https://apnews.com/07cf426c8e9a48b3818c9ddc4ec702f7

Samuel Little entered his plea in the West Texas city of Odessa, where the body of Denise Christie Brothers was discovered in a vacant lot about a month after she disappeared. He received another life prison term, Ector County District Attorney Bobby Bland said in a statement.

“Due to the efforts of law enforcement agencies from around the country, dozens of victims’ families now have answers,” Bland said. “Although this is a conviction in Ector County, Texas, I hope it will serve as justice for all those atrocious murders committed across this nation in this unprecedented era of terror and mayhem caused by Samuel Little.”

https://apnews.com/f33b1fa5a7034c6b8ef9360c0b54e061

11 hours ago, Parliament said:

“To him, strangulation was sex,” said Mark Piepmeier, chief assistant Hamilton County prosecutor. “That’s how bizarre this person is. That struck both of us as ‘this cat’s different than anybody we normally deal with.’ ”

That's some first rate detective work there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’ve been told that all serial killers are white. My whole life has been a lie. 

It’s interesting that most of the time they use the race of the victims to aid in helping profile the race of the serial killer, and this holds true in this case as well. Even though there isn’t a sexual component in these, he still held within the expected racial stereotype.

Also interesting that he was a child of a prostitute, grew up around that lifestyle and he targeted women from that environment. The real question is did he do it out of anger towards his current situation or that they were just “easy” targets that he knew  people wouldn’t miss. 

It is an unfortunate fact of our society that those that prey on the “unwanted “ of our world are less likely to get noticed than other groups of people. I wonder how many of these serial killers would have never been caught if they stuck to the “unwanted “ fringe of the society.

24 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

It’s interesting that most of the time they use the race of the victims to aid in helping profile the race of the serial killer, and this holds true in this case as well. Even though there isn’t a sexual component in these, he still held within the expected racial stereotype.

Also interesting that he was a child of a prostitute, grew up around that lifestyle and he targeted women from that environment. The real question is did he do it out of anger towards his current situation or that they were just “easy” targets that he knew  people wouldn’t miss. 

It is an unfortunate fact of our society that those that prey on the “unwanted “ of our world are less likely to get noticed than other groups of people. I wonder how many of these serial killers would have never been caught if they stuck to the “unwanted “ fringe of the society.

I believe he did say he targeted women he knew wouldn't be missed.. 

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I believe he did say he targeted women he knew wouldn't be missed.. 

But why is the question. 

One of the more interesting things about serial killers is their consistent manipulation of the truth and desire to control their own narrative. 

Is he killing people that wouldn’t be missed to protect himself and help hide his crimes or did he kill people he had an uncontrollable rage towards and escaped notice because they were a class of people that wouldn’t be missed.

If it was a conscious choice, then he is in a totally different class of monster than if it was unconscious. If is victimology was subconscious and therefore his victim choice and its implications to why he wasn’t caught sooner is one thing, but instead if it is all premeditated and thought out then that is a whole other level of evil. Knowingly seeking out people that won’t be missed would put him in a rare category of serial killer that kill purely because they want to willingly embrace their evil.

We are talking about a rarity on the level of the fictional Hannibal Lector, a true sociopath. That is something that rarely gets captured.

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

But why is the question. 

One of the more interesting things about serial killers is their consistent manipulation of the truth and desire to control their own narrative. 

Is he killing people that wouldn’t be missed to protect himself and help hide his crimes or did he kill people he had an uncontrollable rage towards and escaped notice because they were a class of people that wouldn’t be missed.

If it was a conscious choice, then he is in a totally different class of monster than if it was unconscious. If is victimology was subconscious and therefore his victim choice and its implications to why he wasn’t caught sooner is one thing, but instead if it is all premeditated and thought out then that is a whole other level of evil. Knowingly seeking out people that won’t be missed would put him in a rare category of serial killer that kill purely because they want to willingly embrace their evil.

We are talking about a rarity on the level of the fictional Hannibal Lector, a true sociopath. That is something that rarely gets captured.

I must confess a morbid fascination with serial killers.  I think they are often highly intelligent if still completely deranged.  (SEE:  T. Bundy). His victims were often a type/look, and he had no fears about them being discovered.  I think that was part of his game. I'm too smart to get caught.

This guy was the product of a fucked up childhood, and his victims seemed to be part of that class. Coincidence ?  Who knows, but knowing that your victims won't be missed, and increasing the time between discovery, and the crime decreases the chance of capture can't be lost on these animals.

I think much of their methodology is a conscious thing, that evolves as they hone their craft.  It's the desire/infatuation to kill that seems to be the subconscious initial driver.

I actually don’t believe this guy or the other guy from a year or two ago who claimed a ton of victims. I think there are some nobody one-but murderers who later in life decide to go all in on a lie and try to leave a legacy since they’ve been all but living dead people and forgotten about for 40 years in a state institution. 

Maybe I’m naive, but it’s not realistically possible even in the 70’s, to kill 90 people and have nobody catch you. I just don’t believe that the extremely low odds of probability and luck you need befall some of these average mentally ill losers.

Just now, Rougarou said:

I actually don’t believe this guy or the other guy from a year or two ago who claimed a ton of victims. I think there are some nobody one-but murderers who later in life decide to go all in on a lie and try to leave a legacy since they’ve been all but living dead people and forgotten about for 40 years in a state institution. 

Maybe I’m naive, but it’s not realistically possible even in the 70’s, to kill 90 people and have nobody catch you. I just don’t believe that the extremely low odds of probability and luck you need befall some of these average mentally ill losers.

There's that angle as well. Attention whores playing a game.

I disagree about there be no chance of that kind of success rate.  I've held the theory there are serial killers out there that do move from place to place killing people and getting away with it because the crimes aren't connected due to many factors, or they change their MO to keep ahead of capture.  And like Iv'e said I don't think all of these killers are low intelligence animals.  Just look at the thousands upon thousands of undocumented people in this country today.  It's a paradise for a serial killer who can control their acts and opportunities.

2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Part of it was prior to the 90s it was really hard to aggregate the type of data to notice a series or serial pattern. The Green River killer is a horrifying example of this, and it was localized to one region of the country.

Pick a random homeless person or prostitute and have her be found strangled in say Atlanta. 3 months later a different random body gets found in say Cleveland. 3 months later another in Shreveport. Without DNA and without a specific pattern or signature the cops will go with the just another dead hooker/bag lady and treat it as such.

I am much more leery of those that claim to have done this with a huge body count in a limited geographic location and with a more specific victimology. That is so much harder to assume that they fell through the cracks as the links become much easier to see to the layman. 

• Like 1

I’m just saying that the media seems to be running with sensational and flimsy data points here:

”He chose a certain neck type” lol okay

”He has described how he killed 90 but we’ve found 3 and he can’t remember names; but he gives generic details everyone knows about serial killers like preying on prostitutes and paints!”

etc.

i believe he killed 3; not 93

1 minute ago, Rougarou said:

I’m just saying that the media seems to be running with sensational and flimsy data points here:

”He chose a certain neck type” lol okay

”He has described how he killed 90 but we’ve found 3 and he can’t remember names; but he gives generic details everyone knows about serial killers like preying on prostitutes and paints!”

etc.

i believe he killed 3; not 93

I hope you're correct.

My bigger question is how aren’t detectives more suspicious? Either they are withholding information we don’t have that makes this make sense or they are happy for the high profile “win” and clearing out 90 cold cases to  keep efficiency reporting and desks clean. Raises for everyone!

2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

My bigger question is how aren’t detectives more suspicious? Either they are withholding information we don’t have that makes this make sense or they are happy for the high profile “win” and clearing out 90 cold cases to  keep efficiency reporting and desks clean. Raises for everyone!

There are 23(?) I think he has provided some form of additional details that have been released  with some form of combination of when or where and who. That isn’t 90, but if he can link 23 more to specific times or locations or victim descriptions to the ones he is already known to have done and how frequently his pattern suggests he was active 90 is not an impossible number.

2 to 5 a year for say 30 years is scary to even think about, but what is more creepy is that this would be a pace that neither escalated into a noticeable spree or had major dry spells and the level of control over himself then points back to this is something he wants to do vs being compelled. The level of control over himself on this is hauntingly terrifying because if he could control it he could have stopped himself or even potentially never started, but instead he did it because he wanted to.

The other part is that data and dna make this way more difficult to just add to your body count for publicity than it was previously. There have been many in the past to do so, but it seems to have leveled off a bit because there was many that were proven to be doing  just that and so all claims are even more discounted.

So far he has described 93 killings, 39 of which have been confirmed by the available evidence — like those of Rosie Hill, killed in 1982 in Marion County, Florida; Daisy McGuire, killed in 1996 in Houma, Louisiana; Nancy Carol Stevens, killed in 2005 near Tupelo, Mississippi. Little’s first murder — the first one he told me about, of the blonde woman in Miami — was recently confirmed, but her name hasn’t yet been released.”

11 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’ve been told that all serial killers are white. My whole life has been a lie. 

Every idiot who has watched Dateline NBC and thinks that they are therefore a criminal expert brings up the above “fact” as well as “ it’s always the husband” when a married woman is murdered. 

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Like that's a stretch of the imagination...

We’ll sure, it’s usually correct, but not always. My main problem is that these people think they are dropping knowledge when they blurt out these two generalizations that literally everyone knows. 

Looks like the 93 number is way more credible than we thought. It is a number a Texas Ranger that has been interviewing him for a while is comfortable with, not just the claim of Little.

Seems like the dude has exhausted all of appeals and is in poor health and wants to give all the details. More than likely it is to “cement “ his legacy, but regardless it hopefully provides some closure.

19 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Whites cant compete with the numbers South American serial killers put up

Wiki

#1 on the list got 22 years for killing 138 proven and oved 300 suspected.  Holy Shit.

Edit**. #2 served 18 for 110.  What the fuck?

Edited by Incredulity

9 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

#1 on the list got 22 years for killing 138 proven and oved 300 suspected.  Holy Shit.

On that list is a dude from China with 67 confirmed murders.... in a 4 year span.

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

HH Holmes is disappointed his name is left off if this list.

He was a fascinating character, but how many have been attributed to him as fact, and how many as just speculation ?  Americas first known serial killer. I think there have been serial killers forever, it wasn't till the 19th c. we really knew what was going on with these fuckers.

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

He was a fascinating character, but how many have been attributed to him as fact, and how many as just speculation ?  Americas first known serial killer. I think there have been serial killers forever, it wasn't till the 19th c. we really knew what was going on with these fuckers.

I wonder how many of the boogeyman stories from history are tied to the earliest know serial killers? Think about how easy it would be to misunderstand the reason to why keep keep dying in your region and instead imply a supernatural reason.

Violent killer preys on the people around a forested region and people find wolve tracks around the cabin (maybe smelled blood and wanted to scavenge) and poof you have the birth of the local wolf man legend 

26 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

It’s pretty crazy. Years ago I heard a story about a European guy who seemed to get relatively few years for serial killings. Wonder what their rationale is?  That a guy who killed a hundred can be rehabbed in 20 years?  That 20 years later he’ll be more frail and less dangerous?  That the lives of victims are of low value?  Cost of imprisonments?  It’s almost as though the life of a single killer has more value than the dozens of his victims. Odd.   

5 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I wonder how many of the boogeyman stories from history are tied to the earliest know serial killers? Think about how easy it would be to misunderstand the reason to why keep keep dying in your region and instead imply a supernatural reason.

Violent killer preys on the people around a forested region and people find wolve tracks around the cabin (maybe smelled blood and wanted to scavenge) and poof you have the birth of the local wolf man legend 

Yep,  There's a great story I read in a magazine about a family on one of the trails west in the early to mid 1800's. They set themselves up as a tavern on the road west.  Unsuspecting travelers would stop in for a drink, rest or a meal.

They'd be seated, back against a curtain.  At some point while eating bang bang Maxwells river hammer would cave their skull in.  I can't remember how many were said to have fallen victim over the years, but the number was north of 30 if I remember correctly . They may not be a strictly serial killer profile as the over riding motive was reported as simple greed.

50 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Austin’s own Servant Girl Annihilator was active before Holmes.  

The American West would have been a serial killer’s paradise, if they stuck to the fringes of the westward expansion, where their. victims could be blamed on Indians, or just never recovered.  Not to mention if you kill somebody near one town, the surrounding towns might not hear about it for weeks, if not months, if ever.  Lack of rapid communication and lack of organized law enforcement would have aided them greatly.  

7 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Be wary of the pig farmers...

Interestingly that is from both the Hannibal series and Snatch...

Is there any other pop culture references to this or better yet a reason why this became a thing? The truth is generally stranger than fiction, so I wouldn’t be shocked to hear it has some form of factual basis.

I was thinking of Deadwood in response to atomheartbevo's mention of the American West as a paradise for serial killers.  Mr. Wu's pigs consumed a lot of evidence of murders.  Seems like a very plausible and useful tool for any would-be serial killer not wanting to be caught.

While not known for feeding victims to pig, Robert Pickton is probably the most famous pig farmer turned serial killer.  He ground his victims and gave the meat to his neighbors...

• 1 year later...