impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

8 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Ya know, most days I consider myself pretty smart. I’m no genius or anything but a reasonably intelligent person.

Then someone like Fiona Hill comes along and makes me realize, damn, I’m an idiot.

That's because you spend time on Surly

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This is incredible.  The R's are so overmatched by Hill/Holmes that they've stopped asking questions altogether.

That was why when she originally testified that so many people ran to Barr, ran to Fox and ran to ground. The overwhelming truth was that the President leveraged foreign aid to have the announcement made that Ukraine would be investigating Burisma ergo Biden. Everyone knew it was Biden and everyone knew that while they were leveraging that, they were also twisting their arm further for the gas contacts.  

Just now, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Explain 

Why give the Republicans a chance to control the proceedings in a trial and give the president a much needed victory?

These hearings have done a tremendous amount of damage on their own. A trial can only help the president politically. 

It will be interesting to see how leadership moves forward.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Why give the Republicans a chance to control the proceedings in a trial and give the president a much needed victory?

These hearings have done a tremendous amount of damage on their own. A trial can only help the president politically. 

I could see the argument, but they better fucking get Bolton to testify and dig a little deeper into the upper levels of the Donald administration first 

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Anyone uninformed enough to be "swayed" by a Senate victory would most likely have voted for Trump anyway.

And you are not taking into account the momentum an acquittal would create on the left.  That would make it very clear that elections are the only way to remove this guy.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Anyone uninformed enough to be "swayed" by a Senate victory would most likely have voted for Trump anyway.

And you are not taking into account the momentum an acquittal would create on the left.  That would make it very clear that elections are the only way to remove this guy.

These hearings are having the opposite political effect than I thought they would. Support for impeachment is going down. I did not think that was going to happen.

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Testimony from people like Hill, Vindman, and Yovanovich make me thankful that there are intelligent, moral people who are working to ensure our country doesn't slip down into the fifth level of hell under the Asshole In Chief. 

The difference between how smart and put together the career professionals vs the bumbling ineptitude of the appointed officials is pretty staggering 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

These hearings are having the opposite political effect than I thought they would. Support for impeachment is going down. I did not think that was going to happen.

Not disagreeing that its happening, just curious if that can be quantified with the people that are actively watching the hearings versus getting sound bites and roll-ups from the media.  

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

And this is why you *must* see this through. I can't imagine a bigger punch in the gut to the left's momentum than not impeaching this traitor. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Eh, maybe polls say this but he continues to degenerate and the damning evidence stands up, i think you won't have to worry about independents because democratic voters will actually show the fuck up

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

And this is why you *must* see this through. I can't imagine a bigger punch in the gut to the left's momentum than not impeaching this traitor. 

Agreed.

But that doesn't change the fact that Donald Trump will emerge from this with the largest political victory of his first term and ride it all the way to election day.

4 hours ago, horncyclist said:

Probably. There is a strategy available to just move forward and roll everything up into the obstruction. My main point was that if this was the democrats entire case, they would be fine moving forward. Bolton will have a lot to say and probably has a lot memorialized. I just don't know how long it's going to take for that to resolve itself. There's benefit to not dragging it on too much. In any case, Schiff and Goldman have done a masterful job prosecuting this. 

Also Bolton has some crazy and that's not what you want the public to dwell on since that would be what would get reported 24-7.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

Eh, maybe polls say this but he continues to degenerate and the damning evidence stands up, i think you won't have to worry about independents because democratic voters will actually show the fuck up

National Security matters should not be determined by polls.  

(This is where Dennison tells me I don’t know how the world works and it’s just politics)

Only Democrats could be concerned with the way these hearings are going.  The objective is to reveal the truth, nothing more.  If you were hoping for more, you are a fool.  Stop with the hand wringing, the pearl clutching, the "oh my goodness this isn't a home run" reactions.  We were down 11-2 in the bottom of the 9th, a home run wasn't enough to win this particular game.  

Grow up.  This is about something far more important than chicken-scratch political points.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Only Democrats could be concerned at the way these hearings are going.  The objective is to reveal the truth, nothing more.  If you were hoping for more, you are a fool.  Stop with the hand wringing, the pearl clutching, the "oh my goodness this isn't a home run" reactions.  We were down 11-2 in the bottom of the 9th, a home run wasn't necessary.  

Grow up.  This is about something far more important than chicken-scratch political points.

That's naive.

If the majority of people are only getting manufactured soundbites then it would be easier to fall into the ‘I don’t want to think about it’ trap that is followed by, “it will all work out. “

This is not for now, this is for many many years from now. For when we have a more concerted effort by the GOP or other subversive players to turn America into a minority majority Christian Fascist nation.  

• Like 3