The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

EMG pickups...let's talk about 'em.

Love 'em? Hate 'em? I generally like them, as much as anything due to their dead-quiet performance. One thing I have known about for years, but never tried until recently, is running them at 18 volts (two batteries in series). It makes a big difference especially on clean tones, which is mainly what I have EMGs for (89s with coil split).

One thing people complain about with active pickups is their tendency to sound compressed. The 18 volt mod does quite a bit to alleviate that. If you have EMGs, give it a shot.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Equinox said:

Love 'em? Hate 'em? I generally like them, as much as anything due to their dead-quiet performance. One thing I have known about for years, but never tried until recently, is running them at 18 volts (two batteries in series). It makes a big difference especially on clean tones, which is mainly what I have EMGs for (89s with coil split).

One thing people complain about with active pickups is their tendency to sound compressed. The 18 volt mod does quite a bit to alleviate that. If you have EMGs, give it a shot.

I had a Strat Squire and put an EMG in the bridge position. For a cheapo guitar, that thing screamed and had great tone.

10 hours ago, Equinox said:

I have zakk wyldes in my Gibson les Paul and they are loud and noisy 

More info on that double Florentine cutaway big bodied Gibson please.
Also, your friend obviously has a thing for P-90's.

It’s the Trini Lopez Custom. I did not know such a thing existed until recently. I thought the only Trini Lopez model was an Es-335 with a Firebird headstock and diamond shaped sound holes (now the Dave Grohl model). Not so. Now I’ve seen the one my friend has and this one on the same month.

Those Gibson vibratos that are just a handle attached to a stiff piece of metal that the strings run over can’t possibly be worth a shit, right?

It’s a vibrola. My Jeff Tweedy SG has one. If you absolutely, positively MUST have a guitar that will never stay in tune, put a vibrola on it.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Tall Dark And Texan said:

Damn. and damn.

Also that "Not for sale" tag on that Broadcaster a few posts up was just ruthless.

I thought that was a serious piece of "Nyah-nyah."  Almost as bad as the $365k LP.  But the LP was worse, because it's not that it isn't for sale, just that you can't have it.

Maybe this has been posted before, but it’s uh, something.

40,000 MATCHSTICKS yes I started this guitar in 1998 and it took 18 years to make in between life and life’s activities and the guitar is made entirely out of Matchsticks, this isn’t a guitar covered in Matchsticks it’s made entirely out of Matchsticks. It took 18 years to make using Matchsticks Issued to me in our 24h ration packs (MRE) to our American friends to start with then normal Matchsticks whilst serving in the British Armed forces as a infantryman

The guitar plays and sound as good as any high end guitar should do

I will be leaving the guitar with a good friend Richie Peters for a week very soonI am sure he will let you know how it plays/sound.

Body all Matchsticks
Neck all Matchsticks
Pickguard all Matchsticks
Pickup covers all Matchsticks
Jack socket all Matchsticks
Trem cover all Matchsticks
Switch tip all Matchsticks
Trem tip all Matchsticks
Knobs all Matchsticks

89a9858454ee78b34862c784d1a1ab7a.jpg

a48378d226d48f2dc64f286752b14ca3.jpg

aa44bb682d39df7a3da8baf82340a7af.jpg