The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Playing at my kids arts academy school tomorrow.  Taking the partscaster strat with me.  Get to play Billie Jean and Twist and Shout.  Dragging the Vicky Bassman and a pedalboard along.  Kicking in the phaser and envelope filter during BJ because the kids deserve to hear the awesome.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Playing at my kids arts academy school tomorrow.  Taking the partscaster strat with me.  Get to play Billie Jean and Twist and Shout.  Dragging the Vicky Bassman and a pedalboard along.  Kicking in the phaser and envelope filter during BJ because the kids deserve to hear the awesome.

...you wins the innanet today. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Are those funky offset pickups on the Comanche supposed to be a combination of a humbucker and a single coil?

From the site:

The G&L Comanche® is Leo’s final word on the traditional double-cutaway bolt-on axe. Fact is, the first thing you’ll notice about the Comanche is the distinctive shape of the Magnetic Field Design Z-Coil pickups designed by Leo Fender† himself. These pickups deliver a bright and sparkly top end while offering a robust bottom end, all without any 60-cycle hum.

You’ll find plenty of power in the Z-coil pickups, but what’s surprising is how glassy and detailed they become as you roll back the volume and bass controls, the latter a part of the Comanche’s PTB (Passive Treble and Bass) system. What’s more, the Comanche includes a mini-toggle expander switch to allow neck+bridge or all three pickups together. In a pinch, the neck+bridge combo does a convincing faux ASAT® Special. Talk about versatile!

G&L custom shop just built one for Jake Cinniger from Umphrey's McGee, which is a pretty good endorsement. They put the pickups on ASATs too.

So I think it's a single coil that tries to get the best of both worlds from your EAD strings and GB high E strings.

Edit: Or maybe it's a weird attempt at having 6 single coil pickups. If you're super curious, call G&L. They'll definitely tell you about them.

Edited by Grandioso

I own a Comanche. The Zs do not hum like single coils. The tone from mine is particularly bright, but that might have to do with the stainless bridge (I was told it would result in tinny tone).  That said, the neck and middle pickups definitely have a single coil vibe to them.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tbone_ said:

What does an envelope filter do?

Imagine an wah with a bit of "quack."  But yes, as mentioned above, it's a turn on and play type thing.

Show felt like a bit of a shitshow.  Singer forgot the words for the most part, which threw me off.  But when I watched the video later, it was mostly good.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

Pretty sure that Edge used a Lovetone "Meatball," which sell for over $500 used these days.  

I got something very similar - 3leaf audio "wonderlove."  As I understand, the dude who makes the wonderlove is a bass player/engineer who used to make meatball clones, then started modding them, and later just started selling them.  

It's a pretty freaking fun toy... can't say that it's useful on tons of different songs, but it's a fun change-of-pace pedal, and a very high-quality build and reasonable price.  

Analogman makes one too, which I've also played around with.   Only has three knobs (compared to tons of knobs and switches on a wonderlove), so less versatile, but the thing it does, it does amazingly well.

(edit... whoops, probably should have put this in the pedal thread).

Edited by Paul Wesley

I’ve posted before about my coworker who owns Southland Guitars. He recently restored this from pieces:

7f2c2634aa4c2ee135689e96812c39cf.jpg

1943 Banner J-45

Sounds good too but I can’t figure out how to share a .m4a file.

Man, how long till my j-45 looks like that? I should buy one and just set it under a window.

1 hour ago, Grandioso said:

Some beautiful Prisma and Kauer guitars to ogle at this Monday morning:

n6qevdovdhy5t4qdidly.jpg

qtqirbnpwom8gslsaay9.jpg

hpguivsqe5f8lw9xjj8a.jpg

hrgh0mh5iwfwimjmfogv.jpg

express_deluxe-1.jpeg?format=750w

161594736.JrTYREph.DSC_0202.JPG?format=7

onorq6vjohpsavfssffy.jpg

candy+apple+red.jpg?format=750w

So...... those exist.

KInda makes sense. Tuning bottom side headstock keys is always a little weird for me.

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

ive been reading all the posts about G&L guitars but have never owned or played one.  why so much love for them? are they built better then just buying a Mexican fender?

I can't speak to the lower end models, but the USA ones are very high quality.  Our lead singer bought one and it's one of the smoothest playing, well made, high quality fit and finish guitars I've ever seen.  

That said, we live in a golden age of guitar making.  There are tons of small shops turning out very high caliber instruments these days.  This page is just one example.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

I can't speak to the lower end models, but the USA ones are very high quality.  Our lead singer bought one and it's one of the smoothest playing, well made, high quality fit and finish guitars I've ever seen.  

That said, we live in a golden age of guitar making.  There are tons of small shops turning out very high caliber instruments these days.  This page is just one example.

im not a fan of the head stock but wasn't sure if they had higher end models because most pics posted on here looked like stupid deal of the day guitars. 

Just now, Bogeywon said:

im not a fan of the head stock but wasn't sure if they had higher end models because most pics posted on here looked like stupid deal of the day guitars. 

I think most of them are, except when Grandioso posts links from the CA shop.  But even the guys posting the foreign-made ones seem to have good results.

I agree the head stock looks wonky.  But CBS wasn't about to let Leo have his headstock design back.  

There is a 2012 American Tele on consignment in a local music shop, asking a grand at this point, with the tweed case. I made the mistake of picking it up and it feels as beautiful as it looks. Flawless natural wood finish (probably ash), and had a tortoise shell pickguard (not stock) on it, rosewood fingerboard, which I prefer, great combo. N3 pickups, I don't really know about those, but it sure felt great, really easy playing. It's one of those things that will be in the back of my mind until its gone. If I hadn't just bought the SG it would be tougher to resist the urge.

2 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Natural ash and tortoiseshell is a top combination for me. You should buy it, of course.

If it ends up at $900 or less I may not be able to resist. Slow playing it at this point.

2 minutes ago, DougO said:

If it ends up at $900 or less I may not be able to resist. Slow playing it at this point.

You know that's a "go" then.  If you showed up and offered $750, maybe they'd take it.

I seem to recall someone at the last place (could've been AUTF, maybe Paul Wesley), saying the N3s just didn't sound like a Tele to them.  Of course, I know you know how to switch pups out.

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I commented that I like the N3's in my Tele, Paul said he couldn't get used to them. He has a better ear than me, must be annoying as fuck. :)

I can't deal with the noiseless pups. I need a bit of that hum. It's what all the music I like used.

Man i just wanna learn how to play like this

is he just using a thumbpick, or does he have a fingerpick on his index too?  I feel like I could almost do it minus the fingerpicks.  Has anyone who has made any progress at all with fingerpicks.... had better experience with some than others?

Edited by Celery Man

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

You know that's a "go" then.  If you showed up and offered $750, maybe they'd take it.

I seem to recall someone at the last place (could've been AUTF, maybe Paul Wesley), saying the N3s just didn't sound like a Tele to them.  Of course, I know you know how to switch pups out.

I never even listened to it plugged in so I don't know what it sounded like amplified. Like you say, pickups can always be changed pretty easily, and that's the way I always look at it. I even have a Van Zandt tele bridge pickup stashed away that I could pop right in there if I wanted, as well as a little 59 if I ever decided to go humbucker.

I almost have myself talked into buying it eventually, but I want to give a much better and more deserving player a shot at it right now while I sock away a few backs and see if I can get it a little cheaper. The prices of new American Teles now makes it seem like a great deal, but I've only spent that much on a guitar twice in my life and both were in the previous millennium.

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I just have very little willpower over decent cheap guitars. In the case of the Indonesian G&L Tele, 1) I was on drugs and 2) it turned out to be a pretty darn good cheap guitar.

The Stupid deal price on those guitars is pretty irresistible, though I have resisted so far. They're probably gonna get me one of these days.

9 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

ive been reading all the posts about G&L guitars but have never owned or played one.  why so much love for them? are they built better then just buying a Mexican fender?

Perfectly reasonable question. My case for G&L:

1. First, I don't vouch for the Tribute stuff. I'm talking about the handmade guitars made by legit luthiers in Fullerton, California. It is totally a small scale mom and pop operation. Phyllis Fender, who is like a sweet old grandma, is literally still a chairperson. I don't think they publicize their staff much because they poach dudes from Fender. I know the dude that designed and builds a lot of the Dohenys was the manager of Jazzmasters at the Fender Custom Shop.

2. They are incredibly well constructed. I have put my ASAT Special through hell over the course of 11 years and I only had it serviced once to change out the saddle. And mind you, it was probably 10 years old already when I bought it! Now, the drawback to it being a tank is that many models are heavy. My semihollow 2015 Fender tele with a tummy cut feels like a feather in comparison.

3. Their necks feel so good. They are just fast enough without feeling like a dainty little thing.

4. They have so many customization options. I bet the Fender Custom Shop couldn't top them. And if you buy a custom guitar, you just pay whatever the dealer would sell it for. I.e., there's no charge just for "uh, yeah bro we need an extra $200 cause, uh, this is custom." There is a new Doheny for sale on Reverb right now with all the options I got on mine: painted headstock, rosewood fretboard, pearl dots, vibrato, quirkly pickguard. It is the exact same price as the one I had them make for me. And when they sent mine, they included a fancy black and silver packet captioned "Custom Build Specifications."

5. Leo's post CBS innovations are all G&L property. And there are fucking good ones. And even the dudes who inherited R&D kept improving on Leo's stuff. Read about their dual fulcrum vibrato. I have one on my Doheny and it's simply insane how good it feels and also keeps the guitar in tune. It stays in tune like a fixed bridge. Other good shit: Saddle lock bridge. So simple and effective. Fender would steal the design if they could. And I don't understand pickups very well beyond the fact that they are just primitive microphones, but G&L makes awesome ones - the MFDs and the Z-coils. 

6. Even the American ones are so reasonably priced. A handmade guitar that looks even better than most fenders? For $1,500 or so? Cannot be beat. This is the Classic Bluesboy and my favorite G&L. I don't have one (yet) but it's simply perfect. $1,599.00. And if you get a bunch of bells and whistles, you're not going to break $2,000 unless you get it made out of some kind of crazy wood. 

ipyq4lxbcviludxze1zg.jpg

Bottom of the barrel Fanos are $1,900. Grosh's and Tom Anderson's are a little more. Suhrs start at $2,100. 

7. They don't have a ton of huge artists that play them (Jerry Cantrell, Jake Cinniger are two notable ones though) but they are a working man's guitar. Even if Keith Richards doesn't play a G&L, he definitely knows about them.

8. Just look at these:

9. Finally, I think G&L is a loyalty kinda culty thing. People who stumble on them LOVE them and become fanboys. My obsession all started with looking at a rack of telecasters and saying to the store clerk - "whoa, what is that?" The rest is history.

TLDR: G&L Rocks and we should all each buy a custom version of our own favorite model.

• Like 6