Active Shooter - El Paso

Rip76

14 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

What should happen?  What do you do?

I ask this in all seriousness.

I want to dig deeper into your question, because I like & respect you, although we're on opposite sides of the debate to some degree here.  I want to keep this out of CR territory, so my only question is:

How on earth do you not know what people who are concerned about the status quo would suggest we do?  It's not like you haven't had this debate 100 times.  If you have to ask, you weren't paying attention.  Is there one popular "solution"?  No, it varies by degree.  That said, it's pretty fucking clear what direction the people you're asking this of would head.

We should probably make semiautomatic rifles (over .22lr) as hard to get as fully automatic rifles. Also limit civilian magazine capacity to 15.  

This would likely reduce the body count in mass shootings and is my compromise approach that wouldn’t ban anything. 

The problem is more complex than the guns tho...

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I want to dig deeper into your question, because I like & respect you, although we're on opposite sides of the debate to some degree here.  I want to keep this out of CR territory, so my only question is:

How on earth do you not know what people who are concerned about the status quo would suggest we do?  It's not like you haven't had this debate 100 times.  If you have to ask, you weren't paying attention.  Is there one popular "solution"?  No, it varies by degree.  That said, it's pretty fucking clear what direction the people you're asking this of would head.

Nope, just torn between a couple of different issues.

Do I have the right to protect myself at home or when I travel?  I believe that I do.

Do I think I need an assault rifle to do that?  I don’t believe that I do.

🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Nope, just torn between a couple of different issues.

Do I have the right to protect myself at home or when I travel?  I believe that I do.

Do I think I need an assault rifle to do that?  I don’t believe that I do.

🤷🏽‍♂️

Fine.  Despite the fact that, had it been me who used that phrase, I'd be excoriated for not knowing what an "assault rifle" is, I would suggest that there is a massive amount of information out there, and on surly itself, as to how a compromise might be struck that balances those competing influences.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Fine.  Despite the fact that, had it been me who used that phrase, I'd be excoriated for not knowing what an "assault rifle" is, I would suggest that there is a massive amount of information out there, and on surly itself, as to how a compromise might be struck that balances those competing influences.

You would have?

Certainly not here.  

1 minute ago, Rip76 said:

You would have?

Certainly not here.  

Are you kidding?  If you mean this particular forum, maybe.  If you mean surly in general, no way.  The word parsing and gaslighting about auto, semi-auto, "painted black", magazine VS clip is tedious and it happens all the fucking time.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Are you kidding?  If you mean this particular forum, maybe.  If you mean surly in general, no way.  The word parsing and gaslighting about auto, semi-auto, "painted black", magazine VS clip is tedious and it happens all the fucking time.  

Just here, not in general, in Texas.

11 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Nobody gives a fuck.  Nobody gave a fuck when kids were mass murdered at Sandy Hook. 

Nobody will do shit. 

Oh, plenty of people will pretend to give a fuck....for a few days. But then a Kardashian will fuck an Al Qaeda fighter, or Trump will call someone an Oriental, or Hillary will say something stupid, and the country moves right along. Mass shootings are now part of the American landscape, as American as a beautifully pitched no-hitter on a Saturday afternoon, only more common.  If something was gonna "get done" it would have happened after the first couple. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fozzz said:

Gonna be tricky for Texas politicians for a few days regarding the need to toughen the border. Maybe they’ll lean into it and say this is what happens when you don’t build the wall. 

I'm not attacking you, as I assume you're trying to make a point, but I have no fucking idea what you are saying.  Please clarify.

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm not attacking you, as I assume you're trying to make a point, but I have no fucking idea what you are saying.  Please clarify.

That if you don’t want white supremacist psychopaths to blow away scores of people then you need to give them what they want. 

Just now, Gil Bang said:

So you're saying if we were building a wall, this guy would have been home pulling his pud?

No, I don’t think so. I do wonder though how people like Cruz and our esteemed governor, who share 80% of the politics of the shooter, can keep pulling from that well when the costs of doing so have been made so manifest. 

8 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

No, I don’t think so. I do wonder though how people like Cruz and our esteemed governor, who share 80% of the politics of the shooter, can keep pulling from that well when the costs of doing so have been made so manifest. 

How bout because a gun isn't the root cause of the mental illness that leads someone to actually shoot as many random people in a random place as possible.  

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, TxEx99 said:

How bout because a gun isn't the root cause of the mental illness that leads someone to actually shoot as many random people in a random place as possible.  

Odd that mental illness sufferers are shooting way more people here than other 1st world countries.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Sickening and maddening that this fuckwad’s justification was because of a so called “invasion” in an area like other border communities in Texas that have been majority Latino since the Spanish conquest. God this pisses me off.

Shut the fuck up you stated you wanted to shoot illegals for fun.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Sickening and maddening that this fuckwad’s justification was because of a so called “invasion” in an area like other border communities in Texas that have been majority Latino since the Spanish conquest. God this pisses me off.

giphy.gif

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

my cousin's husband on FB. I think it actually was their sports group that you've seen on CNN laying wounded on the ground outside WM

Hello everybody, team *** was not doing a fundraiser at the Walmart at Cielo vista but some of our parents were there doing a fundraiser for there girls soccer team . Myself and coach Jimmy where in the area raced over there to help out . 3 of our parents were injured. I was with Coach Memo until paramedics took him and Coach Jimmy found the kids and our team Mom’s. Kids are ok . Please keep them in your prayers . Thank you for everybody who has reach out .

36 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

It wins them elections.

• Like 1