DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

2020 Coaching Staff

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

It's also becoming a false dichomoty with increasing option-calls and screens.  I saw an ESPN stat that some team lead the nation in "drop back" passes at only 35%.

Kind of an interesting dynamic with a possible "Air Raid" OC at Texas, too, given the worries some folk have about the QB room not being designed for that scheme. Thing is, that scheme isn't the same as it used to be -- pinpoint accuracy is still great, but "accurate enough" also works, if the QB is a threat to run, also. Still have to be at last Sam Ehlinger accurate, because Tebow accurate isn't good enough. But Ehlinger accurate didn't used to be good enough, either.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The first and second movies are fucking great and there are many pop cultural references built off of the content from them.

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Is that why he’s always chewing gum?

Waiting for the leaking of a shitty sideways-filmed video of someone who might be Herman hollering out for Beck while staggering through a hotel lobby supported by two buddies.

7 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Waiting for the leaking of a shitty sideways-filmed video of someone who might be Herman hollering out for Beck while staggering through a hotel lobby supported by two buddies.

Dude. Don't be fucking absurd. We all know it would be Mehringer, or at the very least Wareheim, not fucking Tim Beck. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Dude. Don't be fucking absurd. We all know it would be Mehringer, or at the very least Wareheim, not fucking Tim Beck. 

Tim Beck is the Mike Pence in this deal. (No CR). Doesn't drink, want to be left alone with women, wraps himself in God Squad etc etc.

Would definitely be Meh & Wareheim propping Herman up.

Oh is rapelor run first now?
Depends on how you define that, but they run more than they pass and their passing game doesn't scare anyone. They're certainly not slinging it at air raid levels of quality or quantity.

B12 top 5:

OU
Baylor
Texas
OSU
KSU

Four teams that rely on the run significantly more than the pass, and one with no offensive identity/cohesion. That said, we all know Herman is a run first guy because he runs first, and second, almost every time he has the ball. OU has put a stranglehold on this league because of its dominant run game under Riley. Part of why their defense is better this year is because they're holding the ball longer. Texas went to the title game last year with an offense predicated on ball control, sometimes to a fault.

But sure, y'all go on believing you can't win in this league with a run first or ball control approach.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There is a difference between having a balanced offense that leans on the run like OU and the three yards and cloud of dust stone age offense.

OU's offense is balanced in the sense that they're good in both the run game in the passing game. It's not balanced in terms of philosophy. It's a fuckton of running and screens, which are basically runs, with some downfield shots to their absurdly talented WRs.

No, Addizao's antiquated brand of offense wouldn't work. That's because it's schematically simple to defend and very few prospects come up in similar systems. It's not an issue of run first, ball control philosophy though.

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

OU's offense is balanced in the sense that they're good in both the run game in the passing game. It's not balanced in terms of philosophy. It's a fuckton of running and screens, which are basically runs, with some downfield shots to their absurdly talented WRs.

No, Addizao's antiquated brand of offense wouldn't work. That's because it's schematically simple to defend and very few prospects come up in similar systems. It's not an issue of run first, ball control philosophy though.

Correct. You need to run sets and formations that you can BOTH run and pass from to be successful in today's CFB.

It's a lot of modern option-ball.  Like I said above run/pass isn't a fair breakdown any more.

OU's favorite plays are QB Counter Option-Bash Z-Post and Inverted Veer with some playside passing options (RB-bubble, X-Slant).  Neither is strictly run or pass.

Post-Mayfield they hardly ever simply dropback to pass.  Those two QBs aren't built to do that.

13 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Whhhhooolllleeee lot of judgement in here from a bunch of alcoholic, narcissistic, assholes 

Shaggy posters in a nutshell:

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Correct. You need to run sets and formations that you can BOTH run and pass from to be successful in today's CFB.

giphy.gif

It's a lot of modern option-ball.  Like I said above run/pass isn't a fair breakdown any more.
OU's favorite plays are QB Counter Option-Bash Z-Post and Inverted Veer with some playside passing options (RB-bubble, X-Slant).  Neither is strictly run or pass.
Post-Mayfield they hardly ever simply dropback to pass.  Those two QBs aren't built to do that.

These are both fair points. Creativity and creating assignment conflict on defense are more important than typical run/pass balance.

29 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

Here’s a new name I haven’t seen brought up yet

Gimmee Harrell. 

Edited by Fud

30 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

Admittedly i know nothing about DeBoer other than what I just read on his wiki - but the Indiana offense was pretty good and DeBoer won several titles as a NAIA head coach.  So he's got that going for him - which is nice.

So this is the wild speculation/sniping at other posters thread? Cool. The Indiana guy sounds like someone Herman could actually hire, but absolutely nobody should be excited about that 

26 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

These are both fair points. Creativity and creating assignment conflict on defense are more important than typical run/pass balance.

This is exactly what Lincoln does so well.  He's got a dozen or so variations to each play from a handful of basic plays.  Which defender to read, what the passing option is, how he sets the formation (inline TE vs H-Back).  Simple stuff for the offense becomes increasingly complicated for the defense.

He doesn't put plays back in his pocket.  He's got a way it will work for however you choose to defend.

Edited by JBJ

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

DeBoer is interesting as a backup to Harrell

Kind of a diamond in the rough, if you will.

(spelling is close enough for a terrible joke)

Edited by Huckleberry

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

ISWYDT

DeBoer's S&P+ Offense stuff (the 2019 SP+ ESPN stuff might have a slightly different formula). This is all assuming he actually ran the offense. 

2013 Eastern Michigan (year before he got there): 109

2014 Eastern Michigan: 118

2015 Eastern Michigan: 90

2016 Eastern Michigan: 72

2017 Eastern Michigan (year after he left): 107

2016 Fresno State (year before he got there): 72

2017 Fresno State: 106

2018 Fresno State: 37

2019 Fresno State (year after he left): 47

2018 Indiana (year before he got there): 55

2019 Indiana: 14

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Diamonds-family-guy-39997504-225-159.gif

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I assume this is an Aladdin reference.

Just now, XYZ said:

Our offense is “zero yards and a cloud of rubber pellets”.

The concept is good, see Ohio State, but the lack of execution is all our player’s fault. /TH

41 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'll take Harrell, with the clause in his contract that if he mentions Michael Crabtree or the 2008 game he forfeits all salary.

Im in your boat, but I’d rather him just agree to a one time ass beating and he can then talk all he wants with the caveat that he admits that the refs forgot how to call holding. 

Edited by Doc Reeves

This is the first time I haven’t been excited about a coordinator reshuffle. When Mack did it was probably the most exciting time. When Charlie did it I was foolishly hopeful that it would succeed and drank the koolaid. This time I know we’re just delaying the inevitable and it’s depressing.

Hell, I’d hire him and Michael Crabtree and let them re-enacts the catch at every spring game if their coaching helped bring a national championship.

Edited by Casual Encounter

2 minutes ago, jet black said:

This is the first time I haven’t been excited about a coordinator reshuffle. When Mack did it was probably the most exciting time. When Charlie did it I was foolishly hopeful that it would succeed and drank the koolaid. This time I know we’re just delaying the inevitable and it’s depressing.

The 7 stages of grief
  • Shock and denial. This is a state of disbelief and numbed feelings.
  • Pain and guilt. ...
  • Anger and bargaining. ...
  • Depression. ...
  • The upward turn. ...
  • Reconstruction and working through. ...
  • Acceptance and hope.

1 minute ago, jet black said:

cool. now that this point has been made roughly 75 times on this thread alone, can we refrain from posts that are nothing but pussy-wringing? Yes, this is depressing. You don't have confidence Herman will do the right thing. We get it. 

The purest form of the Air Raid is only run in Pullman currently. Most of Leach's disciples have moved on to RPOs, but with the same route trees. Also, most of his disciples have also moved more towards a balance of run and pass. I look at OU's offense and want that, giant holes for the RBs to run through due to the defense taking false steps and being outnumbered play side. Riley has also always had a DT QB since he's been at OU, which lines up nicely with Thompson, Johnson, Card, Jackson, and Milroe all in the pipeline after Sam.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I'll take Harrell, with the clause in his contract that if he mentions Michael Crabtree or the 2008 game he forfeits all salary.

Or just one quick kick in the nuts from Gideon so we can all move on

8 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Well I don’t think Riley will be our OC. 

I am praying for Jerrah to write him a 10 mil per year check and remove him from our situation. 

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I am praying for Jerrah to write him a 10 mil per year check and remove him from our situation. 

lol and then have Urban Meyer spanking our ass every year? no thank you

2 hours ago, Burntcowboy said:

only if he brings Nicole with him.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Diamonds-family-guy-39997504-225-159.gif

52 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

What the heck.?  They cut it off just as she's bending over for the obligatory blowjob.

I remember listening to the audio commentary and Seth was saying they had to go back and forth with the censors to find out how low they were allowed to have her head go down.

5 minutes ago, Cap Hooked said:

lol and then have Urban Meyer spanking our ass every year? no thank you

Urban is savvy. He's not going to follow Riley or Saban or Dabo.

He's going to follow Helton or Herman or Zook or Tressel's ruins.

10 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Urban is savvy. He's not going to follow Riley or Saban or Dabo.

He's going to follow Helton or Herman or Zook or Tressel's ruins.

Riley doesn't belong in the same sentence as Saban or Dabo. It's not like he's following a legend that has won multiple national championships. He'd be following a guy that coached transfer QBs extremely well, lost one game he shouldn't have every year, and got whipped in the playoffs. 

57 minutes ago, jet black said:

Then we're golden!

You were excited the first two times, and it turned out to suck. You're cynical this time. So reserve those tickets for the CFP next year, baby!