Herman: "If you want proof of how this Team is doing... Watch the Game"

LTtxfan

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Brady Quinn, Urban Meyer critical of Tom Herman after Texas-ISU

By DEAN STRAKA       5 hours ago

Texas football found itself losing another winnable game on Saturday, and head coach Tom Herman wasn't spared from taking another round of criticism.  The Longhorns fell to 6-4 on the season after losing at Iowa State on a last-minute field goal, 23-21. Texas, after rallying back from a 20-7 deficit, carried a 21-20 lead entering the final minute, but a lack of discipline throughout the afternoon proved ultimately proved to be too much for the Longhorns to overcome.

The dagger: Texas jumped offsides with 2:12 to play as Iowa State was lining up for a go-ahead 42-yard field goal. Even if Connor Assalley made the kick, Texas would’ve gotten the ball back with more than two minutes to play. Alas, the penalty allowed the Cyclones to get a fresh set of downs and run the clock down. Assalley’s 36-yard try split the uprights with no time on the clock.

And as the celebration began for the Cyclones at Jack Trice Stadium, the questions surrounding Texas' true identity under Herman -- Herman now in his third season with the program -- only became that much louder. Ex-Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn and former Ohio State and Florida head coach Urban Meyer -- both now part of Fox Sports college football studio team -- didn't hold back from taking a dig or two at Herman after the Longhorns underwhelmed for yet another occasion.

"To me, I think the thing that stood out to me is coaching," Quinn said on air after the game. "You have a fourth-and-four scenario, and Iowa State ... they're going to try to draw the defense offsides. How Tom Herman doesn't have his team prepared for this moment where they aren't jumping offsides -- even though this is a game-winning kick -- that to me is a direct reflection of what Matt Campbell has done at Iowa State in coaching and where Tom Herman stands. Look I know there are a lot of injuries and young players on defense, but this team shouldn't be losing out to a team at Iowa State that hasn't recruited as well and doesn't have as many talented players as Texas does. It's disappointing -- I think that's the only way you can put it -- for Texas."

Meyer, whom Herman worked under while serving as an assistant at Ohio State from 2012-2014, spent more time focusing on the big-picture issues for Texas that were highlighted by the outcome on Saturday.

"There was a time when a game like that would have been a 'stop the presses' upset," Meyer said on the Fox Sports' postgame show. "It wasn't (today). Iowa State was picked to win. You watched the game, and Iowa State may have been the better team. Texas ... they're recruiting well. A little bit like (Michigan), you might need to look under the hood and find out what's going on, because (that ending) shouldn't happen."

With an 8-4 regular-season finish now the best-case scenario for Texas, the Longhorns are now staring at the reality -- if they weren't already -- of a season that will undoubtedly fall far short of expectations. Texas, after all, began the season ranked No. 10 in the AP Top 25 poll. At this rate, just finishing the season ranked, period, will be a moral victory for the Longhorns.

Barring a miracle, the chance to play for the program’s first conference title since 2009 will have to wait another year. If that indeed comes to fruition -- that Texas doesn’t make a return trip to AT&T Stadium in December for the Big 12 title game -- it will mark the first time in the era of the Associated Press Top 25 that the Longhorns will go through a full decade without winning a conference title.

https://247sports.com/Article/brady-quinn-urban-meyer-critical-of-tom-herman-after-texas-iowa-state-game-138745523/  

Edited by LTtxfan

Joe Cook 's analysis pretty solid here... Thx for info @satyanash 

Joseph Cook: Longhorn offense disjointed in last-second, 23-21 loss to Iowa State

Texas’ offense had more drives resulting in zero or fewer yards than drives ending in touchdowns in a 23-21 loss to Iowa State that eliminated the Longhorns from Big 12 Championship contention. Two of those scoring drives came in the second half, the second giving Texas a 21-20 lead. The Longhorns had an opportunity to bleed the final few minutes of clock out as they had against Kansas State one week prior. UT put together a fourth gain-free drive for its eighth three-and-out, and put the ball back in the hands of a Cyclone offense that drove to the Texas 19.

With four seconds remaining, ISU kicker Connor Assalley nailed a 36-yard field goal to win the game. “Obviously, a really, really poor performance by our offense in the first few quarters,” Texas head coach Herman said postgame. “We've got to really examine our gameplan in the run game and our execution. To not be able to run the ball the way that we thought we would be able to, that was the biggest difference.”

The problem side of the ball for most of the season for Herman was the defense. This time, it was the offense, his specialty, that struggled to do much of anything save for two remarkable drives. The Longhorn offense took the field for the final time with 4:01 remaining in the game. Draining the clock was the goal, and it would be a difficult task considering how effective Iowa State was on defense most of the night.

Any success Texas had on offense came through the air. Ehlinger totaled 165 of his 273 passing yards on Texas’ two second half scoring drives, including 63 yards after his team was penalized into 2nd-and-35. However, for the Longhorns to win they would need to run the football. What was true most of the night held true once again. Running plays on first and second down gained nothing, and a third down screen to Devin Duvernay fell incomplete after ISU’s Jamahl Johnson batted it down.

Following the game, Herman stated he believed the prudent strategy was to run time off the clock and force Iowa State to use its timeouts, believing his team would gain yardage on the ground. He then said he believed the prudent third down playcall was to throw a screen, and credited Johnson for his play. It wasn’t what Texas was expecting, even though it was a similar result to most of Texas’ efforts on the ground. One week after rushing for 214 yards versus Kansas State, Texas amassed 54 rushing yards on 26 carries. “We pride ourselves on being able to run off the clock and keep our defense off the field and we weren’t able to do that when it came down to it,” Ehlinger said.

The final three-and-out created by the Cyclone defense gave Iowa State the ball back with 3:00 remaining in the game. Their offense received huge boosts from two defensive pass interference calls on Jalen Green and Caden Sterns, but the Longhorn defense held for a third down stop that brought Iowa State kicker Connor Assalley on the field for a 42-yard field goal.

However, penalties once again hurt Texas as Joseph Ossai was flagged for being offside, giving the Cyclones an opportunity to set up for a closer kick. Three plays later, Assalley hit the 36-yarder as time expired. Texas’ defense performed admirably and held Iowa State in check for most of the game. Even though the Longhorns put together eight sputtering drives, Todd Orlando’s defense did get off the field at several key junctures.

The two notable lapses resulted in 14 Cyclone points. On ISU’s first drive, multiple Texas defenders fell for Iowa State quarterback Brock Purdy’s pump-fake. Charlie Kolar was left wide open in the end zone for a two-yard score. On the first play of the second half, Purdy escaped what looked to be a sure sack and heaved a ball for Deshaunte Jones. No Longhorn defender was near Jones and his jaunt to the end zone extended ISU’s lead to 17-7. Still, it was an effort that kept Texas in the game despite a poor offensive showing.

“I thought our defense played admirably given all the three-and-outs, poor field position, and all of the things,” Herman said. It took 29:13 of game time for Texas to even get on the scoreboard. Five of the first six Longhorn drives ended in a Chris Naggar punt. The only outlier was a six-play, 17-yard drive that began via a D’Shawn Jamison interception, and ended with Sam Ehlinger falling short of the yard to gain. The lone first-half score for the Longhorns was a highlight-play catch by Brennan Eagles for a 14-yard score.

With the result, Texas falls to 6-4 with a 4-3 conference record, removing Texas from Big 12 Championship contention. The expectations for the season included a return trip to Arlington, but the chances of that occurring nosedived to zero with this loss. Still, two games remain and Ehlinger believes Texas will play hard even without the trip to AT&T Stadium as a possibility.

“I believe the guys in the locker room love each other enough to keep each other focused and keep working,” Ehlinger said. Should that happen, Texas could very well win its next two games for eight regular season wins. If his belief doesn’t hold true, topping Baylor and Texas Tech could prove difficult.

So many coaching mistakes are just killing this team.

• Poor gameplans each week
  • Horrible starts
  • Stupid blitzes 
  • Not utilizing personel properly
  • One of worst special teams nationally
  • One of most penalized teams nationally
  • Mistakes on 4th downs not taking FGs
  • Inability to run the ball effectively
  • Lack of play designs to free up WR/TE/RB
  • Terrible blocking by TEs and WRs
  • Problems with technique at LB and DB
  • Player development issues in many areas
  • Talented young players regressing & unhappy
  • Poor playcalling at critical times
  • Unwillingness to change (Last Texas offensive series against Iowa State)
  • Lack of accountability from coaching staff
  • Like 9

12 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

“I want my kids to win. Winners get the corner office, the big house, the hot wife, the whole nine.” Tom Herman

What an arrogant prick. His wife is really not as hot as he/she thinks she is. 

Do they have kids? Honestly curious.

Edited by Girdwood

• Horrible starts
  • Stupid blitzes 
Put it on a banner. Might need a 747 though.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Couple more tweets questioning coaching  (Thx @satyanash )

vqFFOvD2_normal.jpg  EricInsideTexas@EricNahlin
People ask me if they should elevate Fedora. Let's wonder together: is his input good and being ignored? Is it not worth implementing? The game plans, as proven by output, are lacking. It seems more complicated that just giving him the reins. https://twitter.com/josephcook89/status/1195861118637330433 

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

• Horrible starts
  • Stupid blitzes 

You left off - The most missed tackles in the country!!😪

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The next time Herman leaves points on the field by going for it on fourth down with some stupid play that has no chance of working I’ll ....

Actually I won’t do anything because I won’t be watching. After over decade of futility I’m done caring, or watching

I'll keep watching but I don't care anymore.  I didn't care yesterday.  I was numb and the inevitable loss was 100% expected.  The loss to Baylor is going to be ugly. 

Edited by utee94

1 hour ago, Hard Times said:

You left off - The most missed tackles in the country!!😪

Great Point!!  😄

Since Herman is probably returning for 2020, I started thinking about what Mensa/CDC could do to turn things around immediately.  Hopefully good games against Baylor and Tech happen over the next 2 weeks.

One immediate idea Mensa should consider...  

Fire Mehringer Now -- before Baylor

Drew is Herman's buddy but has been reported to be a cancer... show the Team that everyone is accountable.

Move Coleman to interim WR Coach.

I think immediately getting rid of the assistant WR coach that players continue have conflicts with would be a great start to Herman's necessary changes for 2020.

Oh, I’ll always watch. But son of a bitch If isn’t difficult sometimes. 
Unlike many who are beating the dead horse about the offsides jump. The real issue was the not one, but two PI calls that allowed State to continue their final drive. Terrible time to pick up those penalties.

The one called on Sterns was utter horseshit
  • Like 2

Make no mistake, this team is talented.  When your offense barely functions most game in the first half, that is coaching.  When your defense gives up TDS on the first series of every game, that’s coaching.  When you make stupid decisions in 4th downs, that’s coaching.  When your team is one of the worst penalized teams in the country, that’s coaching.  When you’re dead last in special teams, that’s coaching.  

We have 3 years worth of results to sample.  Notice a trend that Texas only wins close games regardless of competition?  It’s because of our idiotic moron of a head coach only runs his stupid 11 personnel as soon as we get a lead regardless of it’s working or not.  We had 8 three and outs against Iowa state trying to run plays out of that formation.  We switch to 4 WRs sets and all of the sudden we are passing all over them.  We get a lead.... what does Herman do, goes back to 11 personnel for another 3 and out backed up in our own end zone.  That is coaching....

This is the same moron that started garret gray all fall camp his first year here not being able to see that he shouldn’t even be playing D1 football.

Losses to Maryland twice (once when they didn’t even have a fucking head coach)

Losses to Iowa State, TCU, Okie State, Tech, and soon to be Baylor since he has been here.  A game winning FG to save his ass from losing to Kansas at home.  We got EMBARRASSED by ou this year.  Don’t let the score fool you.  That was an ass beating.  We hired a arrogant HC that thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room.  Other coaches hate him.  His players don’t really give a shit for him either.  Trust me, no player will miss him when he’s fired except maybe Sam.  Losing record to our rival.  Barely scrapes by teams with lesser resources and recruits we wouldn’t even let walk-on in our program.  That is coaching folks.  I will ride it out but fuck this coach.  He is a fraud and I’m not going to waste my efforts and time going to any more games until CDC fires him.  CDC can go fuck himself too if you he’s going to be another AD that only cares about money.  

Your newsletter. Please forward it to me so I can wire the standard $9.95.

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

• Horrible starts
  • Stupid blitzes 

And we are regressing. Mentard didn't change his approach even w/ his close losses that could have been Ws, and close wins that could have been Ls.

He does not learn well. Even gutting the assistants won't help with this attitude.

Densa will need to hit rock bottom professionally and/or personally (after he is pushed out of the plane w/ a golden parachute), before he can ever become a great coach. He isn't yet a good one on the 40 Acres. 

Edited by El Squared
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

We have 3 years worth of results to sample.  Notice a trend that Texas only wins close games regardless of competition?  It’s because of our idiotic moron of a head coach only run this stupid 11 personnel as soon as we get a lead regardless of it’s working or not.  We had 8 three and outs against Iowa state trying to run plays out of that formation.  We switch to 4 WRs sets and all of the sudden we are passing all over them.  We get a lead.... what does Herman do, goes back to 11 personnel for another 3 and out backed up in our own end zone.  That is coaching....

The worst part about this is that the 11 personnel wasn't working when there was the element of surprise - i.e. maybe we'll pass in the 1st and 2nd quarters.  Knowing full fucking well that we were going to run the ball on that last possession, Mensa thinks that it'll now work?

39 minutes ago, El Squared said:

And we are regressing. Mentard didn't change his approach even w/ his close losses that could have been Ws, and close wins that could have been Ls.  He does not learn well. Even gutting the assistants won't help with this attitude.  Densa will need to hit rock bottom professionally and/or personally (after he is pushed out of the plane w/ a golden parachute), before he can ever become a great coach. He isn't yet a good one on the 40 Acres. 

Great stuff!!  Interesting that both Saban (Miami) and Belichick (Cleveland) also hit a rough patches that they learned from and got better. 

Not saying Mensa is anywhere close to a Saban or Belichick, but sometimes a Coach can struggle at one place, and then change jobs after mistakes and have success elsewhere... they key is learning from their mistakes and hiring better staffs.

On another topic:  

Nahlin may be right that CDC may not want to invest a whole lot more in Herman without seeing significant improvement in 2020... 

image.png

We may see CDC decide something like the following:

• Herman returns for 2020
  • Orlando probably stays thru final year of his contract (2020)
  • Beck gets a 1yr extension thru 2020
  • Naiver & Washington 1yr extensions for 2020
  • Mehringer, Meekins, & Warehime are let go
  • Texas tries to bring Samples back on 2yr contract and hopefully assign him TEs job
  • 2yr Contract for new WR/Pass Coord Coach
  • 2yr Contract for new LB/Recruiting Coach

If Herman doesn't learn from his mistakes and the Team struggles in 2020 with Ehlinger at QB,  then CDC moving on to a new football coach for TEXAS will be justified.

From watching game Tom, more indictments of poor coaching and poor player development.  Thx @satyanash,

(Scipio Tex) Iowa State Postmortem: Defense/Special Teams

I'll begin with special teams. Despite the positives of Chris Naggar's punting in tough wind conditions, this unit once again showed itself to be poorly coached and led, most glaringly in situational football. There is no single voice with ultimate authority for that unit in-game, which means that smart football isn't being coached or reinforced to players who do not grasp the game situation or are simply caught up in the emotion of the moment. Most players (and fans) can only see the game in terms of an individual making a play. Coaches exist to remind them of the value of doing your job or the larger game context.

These are not bang-bang plays either. Each of these coaching and player failures happens after a change of possession or time outs. Plenty of time for coaching and the bottom line reinforcement of game situations they should have talked through in practice. When team captain Malcolm Roach went offsides on 4th and 4 with 2:16 left on the clock with Texas up 1 point and ISU about to attempt a 42 yard field goal (a distance where the Cyclones are 3 of 7 on the year), the deficits on our sideline hit home enough for even the casual fan to see.

Anyone want to bet me that the most obvious coaching point that needed to be made during the timeout when it was 4th and 4 and ISU was about to line up with 2:16 on the clock was not made? I mean explicitly explained. In the moment. Not hinted at. Not covered three weeks ago in special teams walk thru on a Friday. I mean explicitly made. With a coach looking his charges in the eyes, instructing them on the game situation.

"Guys, it's 4th and 4 and we're up a point. He misses, we win. If he makes it, it's fine. We have the ball with plenty of time on the clock, Sam is kicking ass, and we have a good kicker of our own. We'll drive down and win. The only way to guarantee a loss is gifting them a new set of downs by jumping offsides. Ya'll hear me? We can't do that. They may even try to hard count you. Ignore it. Watch the ball. Hold your water, then get a good push when the ball is snapped. Keep your poise."

Roach jumped trying to "make a play" by anticipating the snap count. ISU was gifted with a new set of downs, burned down the entire clock and got a favorable 36 yard field goal attempt centered in the middle of the field. That's how you lose a game. That's how you lose a season.

Defense

Texas was absolutely terrific on money downs, holding ISU to a combined 3 of 16 on 3rd and 4th down. That includes holding ISU to 1 of 9 in the second half. That's how ISU was held to 23 points despite two blown coverages for touchdowns, some poor LB play and our typical containment issues.

After a predictable stumbling Orlando opening drive score which highlighted several old bad habits (the delay six man jogging blitz paired with off coverage at 11:26 in the first quarter was remote thru the television screen worthy), Texas woke up and consistently played press man outside with at least one safety deep (often two) and matched coverages to the front.

Unfortunately, an offseason of instructional neglect and stumbling into a sane base defense sometime in the second quarter against KSU means that our issues are multifactorial. Issue #2? Assignment knowledge. Playing guys in a different position every week comes at a cost. Some of that's injury. Some of that's coaching.

Two blown coverages surrendered 14 points. An uncovered TD to their best red zone option when Texas had 4 on 3 outside (4 covered 2 and left the biggest threat Kolar alone) and a wide open 75 yard touchdown to Deshaunte Jones after a Brock Purdy scramble that revealed that some Longhorn DBs thought they were in man while others thought they were in zone. That wasn't hurry up confusion. That was the first play out of the half.

Texas also surrendered 101 yards to Breece Hall on 24 carries, but Hall did his primary damage with 14 carries for 79 yards at halftime exploiting Longhorn LB play and containment issues. After the half, he went 10-22. Texas continues to struggle with containment and edge principles, both at the line of scrimmage and outside at the cornerback position. It's simply not being properly taught.

Even with all of that considered, the Texas defenders played hard and the Longhorn cornerbacks, particularly Jamison, showed tantalizing glimpses of what might have been if this staff had played their cards differently starting back in the Spring and Fall. Amazingly, you can blow coverage assignments, have terrible ILB play and not play the edge particularly well, but if you play to the strengths of your DBs and don't zero blitz from Guatemala every third down, you can play respectable ball by just owning money downs with superior athletes and a QB throwing off rhythm.

DB

D'shawn Jamison had long streaks of total dominance in press coverage and he totaled 9 tackles to go with his interception. He's not afraid to squat on routes and that makes him incredibly dangerous against Big 12 QBs who are accustomed to certain route concessions. His interception was a classic example of showing the WR a clean release, surprise setting him, then standing in the slant target area for the pick. He was really good on 3rd downs when we walked him up. He struggled with containment in the screen and run game. He is a very instinctive player who benefits from simple assignments with his face mask about eighteen inches from the receiver.

Jalen Green had a fantastic PBU to set up the fateful ISU field goal attempt. He also played the ISU screen game extremely well, unlike his counterparts. He didn't always exhibit an understanding of the coverage we were in or game situation and had some ill-advised penalties. Probably very hard to jump into a game mid-stream. I still believe has elite potential with the right coaching.

Kobe Boyce had a very nice PBU in the end zone when he got his head around (a miracle!) on an ISU 3rd and 9 from our 18. Could've been a pick. Like Jamison, he struggled with contain. Anthony Cook was solid until his injury. He can play credible press coverage against big body wide outs. Caden Sterns played hurt all game and limped through the entire second half. Hat tip to him for battling through. Nice close and tackle on a Purdy bootleg. He also had a sack.

Demarvion Overshown had a dazzling TFL where he split two ISU OL who outweighed him by 90 pounds each. He is so damn sudden and can play bigger than he is. I know where he'd be playing at the other Big 12 schools. He also lost the edge or ran straight up the field to take himself out of a play multiple times. The most egregious example was surrendering a 12 yard gain to Hall when an unblocked Overshown simply ran by him straight up the field. When you feel yourself unblocked on the edge, flatten and take a look around. That's Football 101.

BJ Foster now plays 3-4 different positions at an average level. I'd like to put him at one and let him excel. Brandon Jones was valuable in clean-up and had a brilliant PBU on a 3rd and 18 attempt late in the game. Chris Brown did a nice job claiming space and using the sideline on Kolar when they were iso'd. Also had two clean open field tackles.

LB

Orlando believes that he can play prototype OLBs inside because the word LB appears in their title. It doesn't work. Ossai failed as a run diagnostician and looked like a guy being asked to play an alien position. Because he was. Just because he's fluid in pass coverage doesn't make him Luke Kuechly as a run game diagnostician. He doesn't know the fundamentals. When he blitzed or played on the edge, he looked a lot better and had two QB hits on Purdy. This was a silly misuse.

Juwan Mitchell is a terrible player right now. He has no idea what's happening in there. Blitz him, I guess. For him to demonstrate fewer skills the longer he's under the care of our staff is a bit of an indictment. Orlando thinks he'll get better if he squats more though. Alternatively, you could teach him football. There was no second level pursuit or LB play. Either the run got stopped at the LOS or behind or it went straight to the secondary.

DL

Some puzzling snaps early when we seemed to be asking our DL to take a lateral step before engaging instead of attacking up field. Perhaps that was too muddy ISU blocking assignments, but it didn't work. I saw Coburn get doubled and pancaked doing this. I couldn't always tell based on camera angle. What was clear is that ISU was often doubling two Texas DL playside, leaving the inside linebackers unblocked and letting any exterior DB contain guys sprint up the field and then run in that open Breece crease. Once Texas effectively forced ISU into 1 on 1 match-ups by run blitzing , the DL cleaned up on the ISU running game.

ISU also simply bypassed the interior of the Longhorn DL and attacked the edge with some success. Coburn had a nice pressure on a pass rush. Ojomo did as well, nearly sacking Purdy. Roach had 4 tackles and a tipped ball. Graham was active, but asking #49 or #32 to be arc runners in certain pass rushing sets is counterproductive. Particularly with Joe Ossai standing inside off of the ball doing his best Mike Singletary impersonation.

Final

It was encouraging to see Texas play press man-under coverage paired with more sane blitz schemes that don't vacate the middle of the field or concede hot routes. Marrying your coverage to your front is groundbreaking stuff. I thought this would be our core identity back in March. We stumbled into it last week. As surprising as it may be for you to read given the season struggles of the Texas defense, the recipe for a good college defense is on this roster. Unfortunately, ingredients don't cook their own meal.

• Like 1

Former RB Coach of Texas (Bucky) said this morning that the RBs alignment on Saturday vs Iowa State was still tipping running plays for Texas.

Previous post:

If below is accurate, it's disturbing.... WTF !!

Thanks to @bschoolprof for this info:

bschoolprof:  "There’s been lots of talk on pay sites about how predictable our offense is and how they tip run vs pass by alignment. OB asked some “sources” inside the program about this and below was the response. It’s probably 995 clickbait, but smacks so much of Herman’s arrogance to maybe be true...

Orangebloods:  Occasionally, the demand for answers from our community is so overwhelming, hard questions need to be asked.  Alex Dunlap recently analyzed the Longhorn offense, and came to the conclusion that Texas was tipping its plays. It was a fascinating analysis by Dunlap. It was one of Dunlap’s most enlightening Deep Digs.  Initially, I was content with Dunlap’s insight. However, Longhorn fans wanted feedback from folks inside the building. After declining to ask questions about another reporter’s research, which can create a slippery slope if you want to challenge Texas football coach Tom Herman’s play-calling at a press conference without having your ducks in a row for his inevitable rebuttal, I eventually agreed with the masses. Somebody had to do some digging, and I had to pick the brains of multiple sources this week.   As a warning, some of you may not like what I uncovered, and my only request is you keep the profanity to a minimum.  If you missed Dunlap’s initial article, now would be a great time for a review. 

“There were 73 plays versus TCU where a running back was lined up somewhere in the backfield alongside Ehlinger. On 31 of those plays, the running back was clearly lined up "behind" him, meaning either in pistol, or in a fashion to where, if looking from the sideline directly down the yard marker, one player would not block your view of the other. If it would, that was considered an "even" or staggered alignment. All things very easy for the eyeballs to gauge from the defensive side of the football, thanks to the miracles of human depth perception and natural visual acuity. There were 42 snaps where the running back was lined up alongside Ehlinger, or just ever-so-slightly staggered, as described above.

“Of the 31 times the running back was lined up clearly behind Ehlinger, Texas ran the football 23 times, or 74% of the time.  “Of the 42 times the running back lined up at an equivalent or slightly staggered depth to Ehlinger, Texas dropped back to throw the football in all but one of those instances where Roschon Johnson was handed the football coming directly across Ehlinger's body on a relatively rare outside-zone call.  “For Patterson and his defense's sake, they could basically depend on this pre-snap, run-versus-pass read like clockwork.”

I wanted to get the general opinions of Dunlap’s assessment, and if there was any concern about the Texas offense tipping its plays. As expected, I was questioned about Dunlap’s football background. Once we got past that part of the conversations, I received a very interesting explanation.   From what I was told, a member of Herman’s support staff must self-scout the Longhorns and look for tendencies every week. That person reviews the game film, without the benefit of knowing what plays are being called, and he charts the propensities from each game.  According to one source, there are tendencies in a shotgun offense. Those tendencies are not limited to depth and width of a running back, but where he aligns in relation to the tight end (opposite and same side). The person in charge of that self-scouting aspect writes down everything he sees and presents his findings to the football staff on Mondays. 

Dunlap said, “of the 31 times the running back was lined up clearly behind Ehlinger, Texas ran the football 23 times, or 74% of the time.”  That number is not high enough to create too many concerns behind closed doors.  I was told the Longhorn staff only worries about that number when it approaches at least 90 percent. When that number is somewhere between 90 and 95 percent, they will put in a few new wrinkles on offense to decrease that number. 

The people I spoke to do not believe opposing teams will game-plan anything off a 70 percent predictability number. As it was explained to me, an opposing team might have an idea what is coming seven out of 10 times. However, that team is not willing to risk giving up a touchdown on the other three plays when the unexpected occurs.  In addition, I learned there is pride in the building about being able to impose their will.  
One source noted that Texas’ offense is ranked fourth in the country with a 53.7 percent passing completion rate.  “You know what is?” the source said. “It is because Tom’s offense knows how to impose their f-ing will on other teams. That’s why. They do the same thing over and over again on third-down. Why? Because it works.”  

Dunlap’s original research was definitely enlightening.  Nevertheless, you also know why nobody associated with the program is concerned about tipping plays.

(Bunch of Dumbasses!! )

Edited by LTtxfan

22 hours ago, victory88 said:

Make no mistake, this team is talented.  When your offense barely functions most game in the first half, that is coaching.  When your defense gives up TDS on the first series of every game, that’s coaching.  When you make stupid decisions in 4th downs, that’s coaching.  When your team is one of the worst penalized teams in the country, that’s coaching.  When you’re dead last in special teams, that’s coaching.  

We have 3 years worth of results to sample.  Notice a trend that Texas only wins close games regardless of competition?  It’s because of our idiotic moron of a head coach only runs his stupid 11 personnel as soon as we get a lead regardless of it’s working or not.  We had 8 three and outs against Iowa state trying to run plays out of that formation.  We switch to 4 WRs sets and all of the sudden we are passing all over them.  We get a lead.... what does Herman do, goes back to 11 personnel for another 3 and out backed up in our own end zone.  That is coaching....

This is the same moron that started garret gray all fall camp his first year here not being able to see that he shouldn’t even be playing D1 football.

Losses to Maryland twice (once when they didn’t even have a fucking head coach)

Losses to Iowa State, TCU, Okie State, Tech, and soon to be Baylor since he has been here.  A game winning FG to save his ass from losing to Kansas at home.  We got EMBARRASSED by ou this year.  Don’t let the score fool you.  That was an ass beating.  We hired a arrogant HC that thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room.  Other coaches hate him.  His players don’t really give a shit for him either.  Trust me, no player will miss him when he’s fired except maybe Sam.  Losing record to our rival.  Barely scrapes by teams with lesser resources and recruits we wouldn’t even let walk-on in our program.  That is coaching folks.  I will ride it out but fuck this coach.  He is a fraud and I’m not going to waste my efforts and time going to any more games until CDC fires him.  CDC can go fuck himself too if you he’s going to be another AD that only cares about money.  

But did you watch the game, tho?

23 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

I never see any other team (high school, college, or pro) run so many plays where the receivers run down the field, stop, stay in the same place, and have a defender directly in front of them.

This is spot on and it infuriates me.  Sam is trying to avoid a sack and no one is trying to find an open spot to give him a target.  They stand there next to a DB and watch him get sacked.  And of course the reason is that our recievers are completely incapable of getting separation.  They've run their route and can't get open so they just quit and stand there.  Horrible coaching (meh) on so many levels.

On 11/17/2019 at 9:21 AM, LTtxfan said:

Great Point!!  😄

Since Herman is probably returning for 2020, I started thinking about what Mensa/CDC could do to turn things around immediately.  Hopefully good games against Baylor and Tech happen over the next 2 weeks.

No, no, no!! We are going to have the idiot around here next year. Really successful people have always had failure. It is needed to grow. Herman needs to finish 6-7 to see if he grows or just goes further into the dumpster. Either way we win. If he grows we get someone that might win next year. If he crashes and burns then he is gone next year. If he wins the next three games, he will continue to think what he is doing is working, when it is clear to everyone but him that it is not working. Then we will have to suffer mediocrity for two to three years before he gets fired.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

The people I spoke to do not believe opposing teams will game-plan anything off a 70 percent predictability number. 

I'm too fucking lazy/busy to look it up, but a few years ago when pattern matching coverages was the new hotness, wasn't the goal to get the defense an advantage 50% of the time, and that was considered a win by the defense?  Knowing what the offense is going to run fucking 70% of the time is crazy high.  Generally the offense has the advantage because the exact opposite is true.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Former RB Coach of Texas (Bucky) said this morning that the RBs alignment on Saturday vs Iowa State was still tipping running plays for Texas.

Previous post:

If below is accurate, it's disturbing.... WTF !!

Thanks to @bschoolprof for this info:

bschoolprof:  "There’s been lots of talk on pay sites about how predictable our offense is and how they tip run vs pass by alignment. OB asked some “sources” inside the program about this and below was the response. It’s probably 995 clickbait, but smacks so much of Herman’s arrogance to maybe be true...

Orangebloods:  Occasionally, the demand for answers from our community is so overwhelming, hard questions need to be asked.  Alex Dunlap recently analyzed the Longhorn offense, and came to the conclusion that Texas was tipping its plays. It was a fascinating analysis by Dunlap. It was one of Dunlap’s most enlightening Deep Digs.  Initially, I was content with Dunlap’s insight. However, Longhorn fans wanted feedback from folks inside the building. After declining to ask questions about another reporter’s research, which can create a slippery slope if you want to challenge Texas football coach Tom Herman’s play-calling at a press conference without having your ducks in a row for his inevitable rebuttal, I eventually agreed with the masses. Somebody had to do some digging, and I had to pick the brains of multiple sources this week.   As a warning, some of you may not like what I uncovered, and my only request is you keep the profanity to a minimum.  If you missed Dunlap’s initial article, now would be a great time for a review. 

“There were 73 plays versus TCU where a running back was lined up somewhere in the backfield alongside Ehlinger. On 31 of those plays, the running back was clearly lined up "behind" him, meaning either in pistol, or in a fashion to where, if looking from the sideline directly down the yard marker, one player would not block your view of the other. If it would, that was considered an "even" or staggered alignment. All things very easy for the eyeballs to gauge from the defensive side of the football, thanks to the miracles of human depth perception and natural visual acuity. There were 42 snaps where the running back was lined up alongside Ehlinger, or just ever-so-slightly staggered, as described above.

“Of the 31 times the running back was lined up clearly behind Ehlinger, Texas ran the football 23 times, or 74% of the time.  “Of the 42 times the running back lined up at an equivalent or slightly staggered depth to Ehlinger, Texas dropped back to throw the football in all but one of those instances where Roschon Johnson was handed the football coming directly across Ehlinger's body on a relatively rare outside-zone call.  “For Patterson and his defense's sake, they could basically depend on this pre-snap, run-versus-pass read like clockwork.”

I wanted to get the general opinions of Dunlap’s assessment, and if there was any concern about the Texas offense tipping its plays. As expected, I was questioned about Dunlap’s football background. Once we got past that part of the conversations, I received a very interesting explanation.   From what I was told, a member of Herman’s support staff must self-scout the Longhorns and look for tendencies every week. That person reviews the game film, without the benefit of knowing what plays are being called, and he charts the propensities from each game.  According to one source, there are tendencies in a shotgun offense. Those tendencies are not limited to depth and width of a running back, but where he aligns in relation to the tight end (opposite and same side). The person in charge of that self-scouting aspect writes down everything he sees and presents his findings to the football staff on Mondays. 

Dunlap said, “of the 31 times the running back was lined up clearly behind Ehlinger, Texas ran the football 23 times, or 74% of the time.”  That number is not high enough to create too many concerns behind closed doors.  I was told the Longhorn staff only worries about that number when it approaches at least 90 percent. When that number is somewhere between 90 and 95 percent, they will put in a few new wrinkles on offense to decrease that number. 

The people I spoke to do not believe opposing teams will game-plan anything off a 70 percent predictability number. As it was explained to me, an opposing team might have an idea what is coming seven out of 10 times. However, that team is not willing to risk giving up a touchdown on the other three plays when the unexpected occurs.  In addition, I learned there is pride in the building about being able to impose their will.  
One source noted that Texas’ offense is ranked fourth in the country with a 53.7 percent passing completion rate.  “You know what is?” the source said. “It is because Tom’s offense knows how to impose their f-ing will on other teams. That’s why. They do the same thing over and over again on third-down. Why? Because it works.”  

Dunlap’s original research was definitely enlightening.  Nevertheless, you also know why nobody associated with the program is concerned about tipping plays.

(Bunch of Dumbasses!! )

70% of the time, our play calls fail every time.

• Like 1