GottaB

Affordable Watches

Just heard that Seiko is officially discontinuing the SKX line of watches as of early this year.  The plan on replacing them with a rebranded Seiko 5 line with 27 different model/colorways.  That's a bummer.   I've only got one but I'll probably pickup another midsize 013 before they start going up in price online.

On 11/2/2019 at 11:54 AM, Steel Shank said:

Just for the record, it varies some.  Occasionally you find a steal/deal at overstock, it's worth checking.  Most of the time, though, Amazon has the best price on most everything.

I'm thirsting for another dive watch. I have a modified SKX007 with flieger dial/hands and SS bezel; and a SSC017. Those are my weekend watches, especially the solar one which has become my kids' pool toy.

I wear either a Speedy or Archimede Klassic as my weekday watch. But the Archimede really isn't doing it for me. A nice(r) dive watch would fit the bill just fine. What are your thoughts on these 2 Seikos?

Left is the SBDC06x - aka MM200 or Baby Marine Master. It comes with round hour markers and flat sapphire crystal. The case is also more rounded. I like the skinny bezel ring A LOT. $820 for black, $690 for blue.
https://www.gnomonwatches.com/products/prospex-200m-automatic-black-baby-mm-ref-sbdc061?_pos=2&_sid=e903f4936&_ss=r
https://www.gnomonwatches.com/products/prospex-200m-automatic-blue-baby-mm-ref-sbdc063?_pos=1&_sid=679fd75da&_ss=r

Right is the SBDC05x - modern reinterpretation of the 62MAS dive watch. Trapezoidal hour makers and domed sapphire crystal. The case is more angular and pointy. But DOMED CRYSTAL. $770 for black, $670 for blue
https://www.gnomonwatches.com/products/prospex-200m-automatic-black-ref-sbdc051?_pos=1&_sid=163b6db55&_ss=r
https://www.gnomonwatches.com/products/prospex-200m-automatic-blue-ref-sbdc053?_pos=1&_sid=a1d9f4a6a&_ss=r

And yes, I hate the hands on these watches. Anything in the $750 - $1,000 range that you would get instead?

Spoiler

Watch compare.jpg

Posted (edited)

Take a look at Spinnaker and Panzerra brands. I've purchased 3 in the last few months.  2 dive watches, and  pilot watch form Panzerra.  Both of the Spinnakers are dive watches, one a titanium model, and the other another hefty stainless steel model.  Fit, and finish are both nice, and they Have Miyota (I believe the supply Seiko automatic movements) and at less than $400 I think they're a real bargain.

I made the decision in '08 to step back on the big brand watches, and focus on smaller co's.

FullSizeRender-172.jpg

FullSizeRender-171.jpg

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Some really nice looking pieces on the Spinnaker site. A lot of homage pieces, especially the Panerai ones. Doesn't really say what kind of movement they are using.

Just now, Superhero said:

Some really nice looking pieces on the Spinnaker site. A lot of homage pieces, especially the Panerai ones. Doesn't really say what kind of movement they are using.

Miyota movements I believe.

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Take a look at Spinnaker and Panzerra brands. I've purchased 3 in the last few months.  2 dive watches, and  pilot watch form Panzerra.  Both of the Spinnakers are dive watches, one a titanium model, and the other another hefty stainless steel model.  Fit, and finish are both nice, and they Have Miyota (I believe the supply Seiko automatic movements) and at less than $400 I think they're a real bargain.

I made the decision in '08 to step back on the big brand watches, and focus on smaller co's.

FullSizeRender-172.jpg

FullSizeRender-171.jpg

Miyota is Citizen.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Miyota is Citizen.

Ahh thanks must be mistaken about the Miyota brand.  The site calls out a Japanese  NH 35 A (made by Seiko) for my Dumas model.

13 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Go to the specification box on each model, that calls out the specific movements in each watch.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Ahh thanks must be mistaken about the Miyota brand.  The site calls out a Japanese  NH 35 A (made by Seiko) for my Dumas model.

I think Citizen and Seiko are roughly equivalent at the lower to mid-range.

Seiko Instruments (SII), a Seiko company but separate from the watchmaker, also makes movements that are used in Seiko watches, and sells to third parties, which Seiko does not.  Some of the SII movements are similar or identical to Seiko calibers, but branded differently.  I believe the NH 35 is an SII movement.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

What’s the band on that second one?

A stainless steel mesh band. I usually prefer rubber, but bought this one as something different. I like the bands quality and its looks, but the keeper doesn't hold the end of the strap very well. I'm going to modify the keeper by dipping it in a liquid rubber to make it a better friction fit.

FullSizeRender-171.jpg

Edited by Onboard 2.0

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Is that Bibendum smoking a cigar? 

I believe so. It's the cover of a poster auction catalogue from a few months ago.

Anyone tried one of the subscription services like watchgang? I have nothing right now, but used to enjoy wearing one when I was younger. Thinking about doing a quarterly sub just to build a small collection.