Jump to content
Landomatic

I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Recommended Posts

I love Serious Eats, but I have a few issues with his conclusion. He doesn't mention how thick his "test" steak was, and he cooks it standard sear, so any benefit of decreasing the temperature gradient was neutralized (that reduction of gradient is the whole reason behind reverse sear).

He also doesn't provide his temp readings for each check, only the 20min and the 1h:50min, which were 2 degrees and 12 degrees, respectively. If it's a linear change, the 1 hour mark would put him around 5-6 degrees, which is the difference between one "step" of doneness, rare to med-rare, med-rare to med, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

HEB has/had these bad boys on sale for 9.99 lb.  One of the better steaks I have cooked.

IMG_20200713_174620.jpg

That is a very pretty cut of beef, Farting Monk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HouTex said:

Get a rope. Oops, am I not supposed to say that now?

That is exactly the correct reaction to that photo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

IMG_6049.thumb.jpg.287f7bdd15b5175e0dca5b689c694c59.jpgIMG_6050.thumb.jpg.6e5a85e66f866d70e269a1e667bdf3da.jpgSomething new at the butcher, Wagyu Zabuton ("pillow" in Japanese).

 

 

Edited by Mach 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, huge said:

Tell me more about this “pillow”

Probably the same way Aaron Franklin talks about the fat in his brisket & what he's looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2020 at 9:55 PM, Both Tacos said:

All hail the pillow. How much per lb.?

$38/lb.   It looked so awesome I said fuck it and shelled it out.   Guy who sold it to me insisted that I sear it 90 seconds per side, no more, no less.

It was pretty good but not earth shattering. I read somewhere that the Japanese usually slice it and quick sear it on hot rocks.  I think that would kick it up a notch.

 

 

Edited by Mach 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That potato wrapped green onion is interesting.

That steak on the left is incredibly lean, what cut is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

That steak on the left is incredibly lean, what cut is that?

filet, imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Little steak dinner at the house before heading down to the ranch 08664ca1236dd464bb10dec210d3d6cf.jpg

your asparagus:bacon ratio is awfully high. not sure I agree with the approach there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, futureman said:

your asparagus:bacon ratio is awfully high. not sure I agree with the approach there. 

Sorry brother. Well I was going to post some pussy pics of my wife but you rained on my parade

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Sorry brother. Well I was going to post some pussy pics of my wife but you rained on my parade

 

If it was also over stuffed with asparagus I think we are ok without those pics 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any thoughts on best way to transport cooked steak for 30 minutes? Cooking one place then plating somewhere else 30 minutes later and want it to be correct temp etc. back in broiler for just a bit or in oven for a minute or so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gale Snoats said:

Any thoughts on best way to transport cooked steak for 30 minutes? Cooking one place then plating somewhere else 30 minutes later and want it to be correct temp etc. back in broiler for just a bit or in oven for a minute or so?

there’s a usable kitchen at the final destination?  why not just cook the steak there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Tonight’s steak. More Flannery dry-aged magic

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

how much did that thing weigh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 7:36 PM, Errestaurants said:

Little steak dinner at the house before heading down to the ranch

Funny...I did a little steak dinner at the boat before heading down to the house

3TOQst.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

Any thoughts on best way to transport cooked steak for 30 minutes? Cooking one place then plating somewhere else 30 minutes later and want it to be correct temp etc. back in broiler for just a bit or in oven for a minute or so?

Not 100% sure but it involves foil, that much I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, futureman said:

how much did that thing weigh?

32 oz.  The rib bone in this cut (the “Jorge”) is small, so it’s a lot of meat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

 

So they are pricey, but Flannery's prices are better than other places.  Thus cut was $68, so $34 per pound.  If you want smaller cuts, they have then and sell them in different sizes and styles.  For this cut=, the price per pound is About what HEB charges for their dry-aged at the places they have the dry-aging chambers, and Flannery is better quality and longer-aged.  Snake River Farms sells a similar 32 oz cut for $99.  Pat LaFrieda's similar cut is $82.  And Allen Brothers has a different system where you have to order 2 steaks, but they work out to $55-60,lb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
there’s a usable kitchen at the final destination?  why not just cook the steak there. 

I should have been more clear. A friend was bringing food from a steakhouse including but not limited to steaks but wasn’t getting to our ultimate destination for 30 or 45 minutes after picking up. I wanted to mark the occasion with as near a steakhouse like experience as possible moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gale Snoats said:


I should have been more clear. A friend was bringing food from a steakhouse including but not limited to steaks but wasn’t getting to our ultimate destination for 30 or 45 minutes after picking up. I wanted to mark the occasion with as near a steakhouse like experience as possible moment.

order the steaks extra rare and then sear the shit out of them at the house.  should be gold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah that should work well. might even get an uber crust on em searing twice. don't be afraid to use a thermometer if done-ness is a question, I haven't ever cooked a par cooked steak before, not sure if that would make a difference on texture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AustinMT said:

So they are pricey, but Flannery's prices are better than other places.  Thus cut was $68, so $34 per pound.  If you want smaller cuts, they have then and sell them in different sizes and styles.  For this cut=, the price per pound is About what HEB charges for their dry-aged at the places they have the dry-aging chambers, and Flannery is better quality and longer-aged.  Snake River Farms sells a similar 32 oz cut for $99.  Pat LaFrieda's similar cut is $82.  And Allen Brothers has a different system where you have to order 2 steaks, but they work out to $55-60,lb.

Another nice thing about buying from Flannery is that you end up dealing with Bryan Flannery directly.  Despite the accolades, it's still a small, family-run business, and Bryan is the nicest guy.  They'll also age stuff to order, so if you want beef with 60 or 90 days on it, it's your place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, futureman said:

order the steaks extra rare and then sear the shit out of them at the house.  should be gold. 

that's what i did and it worked well.  thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

that's what i did and it worked well.  thanks!

anyone found bipedal in five wears his ass for a hat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2020 at 12:07 AM, ROFL BOX said:

Tried the rev. sear thing tonight on some ribeyes.

 

Will go oven / cast iron skillet on the stove next time I have a run @ it.

 

3d6ba21019cba9784420f201389fc5e9.jpg

 

038a0e68b1627e938e9ecd885095e7ea.jpg

 

b2767ed04064cbfdb7f2b8277dc67f92.jpg

 

e70db97e96ec5f16624c0f5b07dd7692.jpg

 

fffebe1cd69a622478adcb7f3bf18e25.jpg

 

3a058347f25e6222aa71a9de4da22141.jpg

 

0117423c3bf2e42ef902aab7365125a7.jpg

 

9eaaa4f2ec6db37db734b7780d7dcd43.jpg

 

efa66212fdaeb88c711f4459b57c4f5b.jpg

 

38e5660b4da933f9eb54710553b0dc65.jpg

 

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

What's with the steak chips?  2" or go home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Good shit at the ranch. We need a surly party. I'll bring the beeaa8a99d52edc1fe13207e9a37e99eeef.jpg
 

ColorfulGloomyHornet-size_restricted.gif

 

I kid, I kid.

(Cute kid, by the way).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2020 at 10:39 PM, AustinMT said:

Tonight’s steak. More Flannery dry-aged magic

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

So I picked up a handful of Flannery NY strips this week.  Wife was like, "WTF is this?".  Stuck them in the freezer to cook next week.

 

Daughter (no pics) showed up this afternoon with a huge bag of vacuum packed Allen Brothers steaks (various cuts).  Probably a dozen or more.  I figure I'm set for steaks unti Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
$56/lb is a little pricey

Or maybe I’m just a poor.

It’s very pricey especially with shipping.

He ran a special 40 percent off when I pulled the trigger.

And yes you’re just a poor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:


It’s very pricey especially with shipping.

He ran a special 40 percent off when I pulled the trigger.

And yes you’re just a poor.

I ordered right before father's day and he had a pretty hefty discount on the tomahawks (38oz @ $32.84 a lb) and a few other cuts.  There is a wine board, I forget which one at the moment, where he posts and they have a thread that will pop whenever he posts a discount. 

Edited by Anastasis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...