Landomatic

I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

I love Serious Eats, but I have a few issues with his conclusion. He doesn't mention how thick his "test" steak was, and he cooks it standard sear, so any benefit of decreasing the temperature gradient was neutralized (that reduction of gradient is the whole reason behind reverse sear).

He also doesn't provide his temp readings for each check, only the 20min and the 1h:50min, which were 2 degrees and 12 degrees, respectively. If it's a linear change, the 1 hour mark would put him around 5-6 degrees, which is the difference between one "step" of doneness, rare to med-rare, med-rare to med, etc.

13 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

HEB has/had these bad boys on sale for 9.99 lb.  One of the better steaks I have cooked.

IMG_20200713_174620.jpg

That is a very pretty cut of beef, Farting Monk.

11 hours ago, HouTex said:

Get a rope. Oops, am I not supposed to say that now?

That is exactly the correct reaction to that photo.

Posted (edited)

IMG_6049.thumb.jpg.287f7bdd15b5175e0dca5b689c694c59.jpgIMG_6050.thumb.jpg.6e5a85e66f866d70e269a1e667bdf3da.jpgSomething new at the butcher, Wagyu Zabuton ("pillow" in Japanese).

Edited by Mach 1

3 hours ago, huge said:

Tell me more about this “pillow”

Probably the same way Aaron Franklin talks about the fat in his brisket & what he's looking for.

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2020 at 9:55 PM, Both Tacos said:

All hail the pillow. How much per lb.?

$38/lb.   It looked so awesome I said fuck it and shelled it out.   Guy who sold it to me insisted that I sear it 90 seconds per side, no more, no less.

It was pretty good but not earth shattering. I read somewhere that the Japanese usually slice it and quick sear it on hot rocks.  I think that would kick it up a notch.

Edited by Mach 1

That potato wrapped green onion is interesting.

That steak on the left is incredibly lean, what cut is that?

47 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

That steak on the left is incredibly lean, what cut is that?

filet, imo

2 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Little steak dinner at the house before heading down to the ranch 08664ca1236dd464bb10dec210d3d6cf.jpg

your asparagus:bacon ratio is awfully high. not sure I agree with the approach there. 

16 minutes ago, futureman said:

your asparagus:bacon ratio is awfully high. not sure I agree with the approach there. 

Sorry brother. Well I was going to post some pussy pics of my wife but you rained on my parade

5 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Sorry brother. Well I was going to post some pussy pics of my wife but you rained on my parade

If it was also over stuffed with asparagus I think we are ok without those pics 😆

Any thoughts on best way to transport cooked steak for 30 minutes? Cooking one place then plating somewhere else 30 minutes later and want it to be correct temp etc. back in broiler for just a bit or in oven for a minute or so?

1 hour ago, Gale Snoats said:

Any thoughts on best way to transport cooked steak for 30 minutes? Cooking one place then plating somewhere else 30 minutes later and want it to be correct temp etc. back in broiler for just a bit or in oven for a minute or so?

there’s a usable kitchen at the final destination?  why not just cook the steak there. 

On 7/31/2020 at 7:36 PM, Errestaurants said:

Little steak dinner at the house before heading down to the ranch

Funny...I did a little steak dinner at the boat before heading down to the house

3TOQst.jpg

12 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

Not 100% sure but it involves foil, that much I know.

6 hours ago, futureman said:

how much did that thing weigh?

32 oz.  The rib bone in this cut (the “Jorge”) is small, so it’s a lot of meat.

21 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

So they are pricey, but Flannery's prices are better than other places.  Thus cut was $68, so $34 per pound.  If you want smaller cuts, they have then and sell them in different sizes and styles.  For this cut=, the price per pound is About what HEB charges for their dry-aged at the places they have the dry-aging chambers, and Flannery is better quality and longer-aged.  Snake River Farms sells a similar 32 oz cut for $99.  Pat LaFrieda's similar cut is $82.  And Allen Brothers has a different system where you have to order 2 steaks, but they work out to $55-60,lb.

there’s a usable kitchen at the final destination?  why not just cook the steak there. 

I should have been more clear. A friend was bringing food from a steakhouse including but not limited to steaks but wasn’t getting to our ultimate destination for 30 or 45 minutes after picking up. I wanted to mark the occasion with as near a steakhouse like experience as possible moment.

1 minute ago, Gale Snoats said:

I should have been more clear. A friend was bringing food from a steakhouse including but not limited to steaks but wasn’t getting to our ultimate destination for 30 or 45 minutes after picking up. I wanted to mark the occasion with as near a steakhouse like experience as possible moment.

order the steaks extra rare and then sear the shit out of them at the house.  should be gold. 

yeah that should work well. might even get an uber crust on em searing twice. don't be afraid to use a thermometer if done-ness is a question, I haven't ever cooked a par cooked steak before, not sure if that would make a difference on texture.

15 hours ago, AustinMT said:

So they are pricey, but Flannery's prices are better than other places.  Thus cut was $68, so $34 per pound.  If you want smaller cuts, they have then and sell them in different sizes and styles.  For this cut=, the price per pound is About what HEB charges for their dry-aged at the places they have the dry-aging chambers, and Flannery is better quality and longer-aged.  Snake River Farms sells a similar 32 oz cut for $99.  Pat LaFrieda's similar cut is $82.  And Allen Brothers has a different system where you have to order 2 steaks, but they work out to $55-60,lb.

Another nice thing about buying from Flannery is that you end up dealing with Bryan Flannery directly.  Despite the accolades, it's still a small, family-run business, and Bryan is the nicest guy.  They'll also age stuff to order, so if you want beef with 60 or 90 days on it, it's your place.