Surly #Stonks

Wally Fairway

How is this gonna affect nio?

I saw so much demand for XPEV that I figured it would sky rocket and I could ride it for literally a few minutes. Long term I wasn’t bullish on it. I think NIO and all others at this point benefit from everyone trying to find the next TESLA so there is more time to ride that horse. I’m not sure about your philosophy and if you’re in long term on any of these or if you’re just trying to ride a wave.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I got this in an email from Fidelity (401k plan provider)
You may be invested too aggressively for your age, based on your current stock holdings. While this helps improve your opportunity for growth, it may also mean you’re taking on too much risk. 

And this is because I'm putting 50% into the S&P 500 fund and 50% into the FID Growth Fund - their suggested "model" is either a target date fund or moving a portion to bond or income fund. I'm thinking about replying and asking for a #stonk fund to be added as an investment option. I will tell them that Surly will direct investments in this fund, for a small fee + a not insignificant % of profits. 

Their email just makes me laugh

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

You may be invested too aggressively for your age, based on your current stock holdings. While this helps improve your opportunity for growth, it may also mean you’re taking on too much risk. 

And this is because I'm putting 50% into the S&P 500 fund and 50% into the FID Growth Fund - their suggested "model" is either a target date fund or moving a portion to bond or income fund. I'm thinking about replying and asking for a #stonk fund to be added as an investment option. I will tell them that Surly will direct investments in this fund, for a small fee + a not insignificant % of profits. 

Yes. You should put all of your money in bonds making .0000000000001% return so that we can flip them daily and bleed your account dry.

4 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I got the exact opposite saying I was too conservative which is probably true. But I really don’t feel like adding to equity positions when everything is at ATH with no fundamental reason for that to be the case. 

Hell, I’m thinking about taking more off the table if anything. 

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

damn this stock actually traded in the 50's many moons back  wtf happeened 

IBIO had a 10-1 reverse split 2 years ago, so that price in the 50's is split adjusted. Trading at around $0.30 earlier this year, they were going to enact another 10-1 reverse split before the Covid bump helped them out, but generally a company that is cranking out 10-1 reverse splits every 2 years is one I would avoid. I don't have the background to sort out the truth from bullshit in their press releases, but they have been publicly traded for 12 years and still haven't managed significant revenue, so there are probably other bio-tech/pharma stocks I would gamble on before this one. 

• Hook 'Em 2

What do you all think about APPLE and TESLA stock splits? Especially TESLA. What's the purpose for them to do that in a world where one can purchase fractional shares? If Elon Musk himself said he thought his stock was over-valued when it was at what, $700 I think? That means he was already weary of the expectations brought on by that stock. Of course these are businesses so they want to raise the most money they can so I could see that the only reason it's being done is to take advantage of the current stock market hype. Are they just embracing it and hoping to squeeze as much juice out of it that they can while the getting is good? Just greed? And yes I know that it has worked for TESLA since they are up so drastically since the announcement. 

Edited by dad

11 minutes ago, dad said:

What do you all think about APPLE and TESLA stock splits? Especially TESLA. What's the purpose for them to do that in a world where one can purchase fractional shares? If Elon Musk himself said he thought his stock was over-valued when it was at what, $700 I think? That means he was already weary of the expectations brought on by that stock. Of course these are businesses so they want to raise the most money they can so I could see that the only reason it's being done is to take advantage of the current stock market hype. Are they just embracing it and hoping to squeeze as much juice out of it that they can while the getting is good? Just greed? And yes I know that it has worked for TESLA since they are up so drastically since the announcement. 

I like Wally's thesis on options. 

I like Wally's thesis on options. 

What is that? Only joined this thread yesterday. I have yet to touch options because I don’t fully understand them and I like things that can only devalue not go to 0 immediately. They sound like expensive lotto tickets.

33 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Thanks for the feedback on the other thread. Bought MMM, JNJ and MNST today.

My sister works for MNST. The outlook there is good. It's trading at $85. She got options at $55. Fucker.

Care to share the feedback that made you like those? I don't know how how to read the charts but from an ignorant bird eye view I see that every time there is a sharp climb in MNST, like the one it's on now, there is an equally sharp drop right after. 

Edited by dad

7 minutes ago, dad said:

I don't know how how to read the charts

Learn to read the charts or understand the markets that those individual stocks "play" in. Honestly, man, if you don't have a decent background, your best bet is to throw it in a Total Stock Market Fund with low fees and go from there.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:
Learn to read the charts or understand the markets that those individual stocks "play" in. Honestly, man, if you don't have a decent background, your best bet is to throw it in a Total Stock Market Fund with low fees and go from there.

One more semester of grad school and I’ll have time to try to learn how read the charts. Definitely don’t have any finance background. Mechanical engineering degrees and software engineer.

I’ve had it all in something that follows the S&P 500 for years but all my friends are making so much money on all of these tech or e-commerce stocks that I want to join the club. So far I've made some money in my investments in AAPL, ARKW, BIGC, FOUR, FSLY, MFST, RKT, STNE. Definitely not blind to the fact that I'm not green on the basis of my finance knowledge and that it's mainly on timing and as was said above, TINA lol. 

Edited by dad

Just now, dad said:

One more semester of grad school and I’ll have time to try to learn how read the charts. Definitely don’t have any finance background. Mechanical engineering degrees and software engineer.

I’ve had it all in something that follows the S&P 500 for years but all my friends are making so much money on all of these tech or e-commerce stocks that I want to join the club.

They aren't "making so much money". They are just like gamblers who go to Vegas every weekend. You only hear about the BIG WINS. never the WALLY FAIRWAYS BIG LOSES.

Trust me as an old guy who has well over a million dollars in equities, I didn't get there overnight. Max out your 401K/IRA. Stay out of debt. Don't get divorced. Don't splurge on cars/houses. Live within your means. Low fee Total Stock Market funds should be 95% of your portfolio right now. If you want to "gamble" with options/puts/etc., just know that you are gambling, not investing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah one of them was negative 30k in Robinhood not long ago during the recent low and now he's 60k mainly on the basis of riding two SQ calls. Seems like a lot of luck lol. I have yet to buy an option though because I'm too cheap to risk it going to zero. Thanks for the advice. I'm 33 and certainly fall victim to FOMO, chasing what seems like easy quick money. 

55 minutes ago, dad said:

What is that? Only joined this thread yesterday. I have yet to touch options because I don’t fully understand them and I like things that can only devalue not go to 0 immediately. They sound like expensive lotto tickets.

That the splits make options more accessible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you're young, taking a smallish percentage of your portfolio and throwing it on some long shots is fine in my book. 

But just as with gambling, plan as though you're going to lose every cent of that money. If you can't afford that, you're risking too much. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I envision the MNST office dress code requiring Affliction t-shirts and sunglasses indoors. Ask her if I'm right.

LOL, I asked about Ed Hardy shirts, but she didn't knows what I was talking about.

They have a lot of drift wood on the walls, and "bike tracks" on the concrete floors and some walls.

Things she talks about - their gym, their cafeteria, and the Monster Girls.

3 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

They aren't "making so much money". They are just like gamblers who go to Vegas every weekend. You only hear about the BIG WINS. never the WALLY FAIRWAYS BIG LOSES.

Trust me as an old guy who has well over a million dollars in equities, I didn't get there overnight. Max out your 401K/IRA. Stay out of debt. Don't get divorced. Don't splurge on cars/houses. Live within your means. Low fee Total Stock Market funds should be 95% of your portfolio right now. If you want to "gamble" with options/puts/etc., just know that you are gambling, not investing.

I am by and large #bogleheadforlyfe but man that 5% is fun as fuck to run up/down.

4 hours ago, dad said:

Care to share the feedback that made you like those? I don't know how how to read the charts but from an ignorant bird eye view I see that every time there is a sharp climb in MNST, like the one it's on now, there is an equally sharp drop right after. 

No chart reading for MNST. I just know my sister (in regulatory) is busy AF opening up new Asian markets. Her counterpart is doing the same for European and ME markets. If it wasn't for Covid, she'd be in Asia now hiring reps, and meeting with local versions of their FDA.

I'm too dumb to do option trading, so I usually buy and hold. But based on what she tells me about her job, and the fact they are dominating Red Bull and Rockstar, I don't think they're going away anytime soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dad said:

Yeah one of them was negative 30k in Robinhood not long ago during the recent low and now he's 60k mainly on the basis of riding two SQ calls. Seems like a lot of luck lol. I have yet to buy an option though because I'm too cheap to risk it going to zero. Thanks for the advice. I'm 33 and certainly fall victim to FOMO, chasing what seems like easy quick money. 

I had a similar eagerness right out of school. Went straight into options, bought a bunch, made a little in first 1-2 months then lost 100% of my portfolio. It was a good lesson. Then I read all of Bill O’Neils books, founder Investors biz daily, read all of Cramer’s, read Buffetts bio, read a number of others. Boggleheads.org has tons of info. Max all tax advantages plans and put them in index.  Experiment with small cash while you read and study, real world experience>academics. Before you know it you’ll have a pile of equities and be on your way to an “expert”. 

Also realize the 2020 market is very unusual. TSLA is very unusual. It won’t go up 7x in a year again.