2021 Texas Baseball

petscii

We’re both using a lot of words to say “hey, maybe having a short stop that doesn’t boot everything hit at him and a catcher that can, you know, catch, may lead to more wins this year!” That’s how fucking bad we were defensively. How many times in 2019 did we have like a 6 run lead only for our infield to play hot potato? Just having a DJ and Hamilton in 2019 probably would’ve won us a lot of those wtf games. Faltine and DJ or Powell are worth like 10 wins alone cause they can actually play the position. And I think you’re way overestimated baseball chemistry. Shit I guarantee most of the kids have been playing pick up ball and shit since the season was cancelled back in March 

Watching the 05 Wheeless Baylor game. Peoples just fucked up that cunt catcher of theirs. Peoples was ahead of his time. I wish every single one of our players in every sport would do that against Baylor. More Peoples, less Deshon Elliots against Baylor, please  

On 8/14/2020 at 6:59 AM, Snake Diggity said:

Updated roster projection:

CF Antico

SS Faltine

1B Zubia

3B Williams

RF Todd

LF Kennedy

DH Dixon/Hodo/Melendez

2B Campbell/Stehly

C Petrinsky/Ardoin/Powell

SP: Witt, Madden, Cobb, Hansen, Sthele

RP: Duplantier, Quintanilla, Kubichek, Southard, Stevens, Walbridge, Gordon, Johnson, Wenzel, Shifflet 

Antico and Johnson were big gets.

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

So dumbfuck Dr. Beeper got me thinking about our team this year. We finally have some catchers, an ocean of outfielders, solid infielders and what could be an elite pitching staff. @torre got a projected roster or something like that. I can’t believe I’m doing this but @LTtxfan, you got anything?

Not my wheelhouse.    SnakeDiggity has a good projection in post 189 (above).

I will say the expanded roster due to the virus may be a challenge to manage.   May be difficult to get everyone reps/innings and keep morale/chemistry high.  So important.

(Dr Beeper is a sharp guy,  gives me advice on royalty interests)    :)

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/14/2020 at 6:59 AM, Snake Diggity said:

Updated 2021 roster projection:

• CF Antico
  • SS Faltine
  • 1B Zubia
  • 3B Williams
  • RF Todd
  • LF Kennedy
  • DH Dixon/Hodo/Melendez
  • 2B Campbell/Stehly
  • C Petrinsky/Ardoin/Powell

SP: Witt, Madden, Cobb, Hansen, Sthele

RP: Duplantier, Quintanilla, Kubichek, Southard, Stevens, Walbridge, Gordon, Johnson, Wenzel, Shifflet 

Antico and Johnson were big gets.

so @Fletch I found above post...  Maybe @Snake Diggity has more on 2021 Horns Baseball outlook???

Also found this...

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2020/7/22/21333728/david-pierce-texas-longhorns-mlb-draft-tanner-witt

Also this summary page for TEXAS Baseball stuff...

https://www.burntorangenation.com/baseball

Edited by LTtxfan
Torre beat me to it... HaHa
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The last game was Abilene Christian, no?  It was on that Wednesday night before every single sporting event got cancelled the very next morning (including our Big XII Tournament game versus Texas Tech).  I remember that game though because everybody was finally talking about Coronavirus (or least more people than I had ever heard before talking about it despite it hanging heavy over us for several weeks already).  But I got a bad feeling that night that all baseball and basketball would be cancelled within weeks, maybe days.  Instead it was a matter of hours.  

• 2 weeks later...

Disappointed there have been no Fall practice reports which began in early Sep.

Sthele (pronounced Steely) will be missed.   Saw him in baseball playoffs in '19 vs Westlake.  "makeup and competitiveness"  is correct along with leadership - like  Sam Ehlinger.   Starting QB for SA Reagan since sophomore year.

Google search seems he may have been overworked in '19,  likely played this Summer.    Excerpts.  Link has vid and interview.  Story is from '19.

Sthele has been the Rattlers' starting quarterback since his sophomore season. He passed for 2,169 yards and 19 touchdowns last year, when Reagan advanced to the playoffs for the 12th time in 13 seasons.

Sthele, who has committed to play baseball at Texas, has been resting after a busy summer on the diamond.

"There is no injury," Reagan football coach Lyndon Hamilton said. "This is strictly a preventive-type measure."

A right-handed pitcher with a 96 mph fastball, Sthele played with some of the country's elite high school players in developmental leagues and all-star showcases this summer.

"He was in Florida, he was all over the United States all summer long and if he doesn't get some rest, then basically he's going to overwork that arm," Reagan football coach Lyndon Hamilton said. "He is legit to go this week. 

"We're just making sure his arm, and elbow and shoulder were good to go. He will more than likely be all in the mix this week for sure," Hamilton said.

"When you work all summer long on that shoulder, and you go straight from last year's football season to baseball season, and from baseball season into summer, when you're pitching throughout the summer, if we don't give these young kids some rest, and allow some time off for those elbows, arms and shoulders, ultimately they may have a breakdown," Hamilton said.

https://www.kens5.com/article/sports/reagan-quarterback/273-e9b8f40e-a9fa-4a3e-9418-e6facba4776e

Edited by torre

6 hours ago, Fletch said:

So....is is baseball season yet? And can we please win the fucking conference and host? Thanks 

I'm not optimistic about anything.  I listened to a few head coaches podcasts and none of them have any clue what is going to happen next spring.

We have no schedules and everything is out the window/ or on the table I guess.

The open dates thing is a dumpster fire as well.

https://collegebaseballinsider.com/open-dates/2021-open-dates/

I think we can play a truncated conference schedule starting in very late March/early April.  Maybe a handful, and I mean on one hand, of mid-week local non-conf. matchups.  

Yeah I’m thinking we get started mid March and end the year in July

I’m feeling pretty confident about this team. Todd, DJ, Kennedy and Zubia are some solid experienced veterans. We’re legit 4 deep at catcher. Cam Williams looks like a stud. Faltine looked solid at short. Stehly looks to be a solid 2nd basemen. Is lance ford still on the team? He’s a solid backup. Good depth dude. 

Little worried about starting pitching. I’d like to see something like Madden or Bryant Friday night, then Quintanilla as the Saturday dude and whoever doesn’t get the Friday spot between madden and Bryant as our Sunday guy with Coy Cobb as our Tuesday dude

23 hours ago, Lobo said:

I think we can play a truncated conference schedule starting in very late March/early April.  Maybe a handful, and I mean on one hand, of mid-week local non-conf. matchups.  

I don't see an issue with this. 3 game series in the Big 12 (over 3 days as usual or do Friday night/Saturday DHs) + local non-conference teams who can bus to you - Texas State, TAMUCC, UTA, DBU, UH type teams.   No big tournaments with teams from all over. 

On 10/4/2020 at 1:43 AM, Fletch said:

So....is is baseball season yet? And can we please win the fucking conference and host? Thanks 

Yeah I am already bored with basketball season and we haven't even started yet. Football sucks.

I am mostly just counting down the days until the alumni game and hoping COVID will be gone by then. Come on Texas Baseball! Bring some joy to UT sports again.

• Hook 'Em 1

@Valmy77 maybe it’s just me looking for optimism but this team seems pretty loaded. 4 deep at catcher. Upper class leaders. Guys like Cam Williams, Trey Faltine and Payton Powell. Enough arms to find a solid weekend rotation and Tuesday guy. Duplantier seems like the shut down closer we’ve been missing since....Curtiss? Kenebal? Then you got guys like Murphy, Hodo, Dixon and Stehly who have that looked to have aggressive approaches at the plate. Then lance Ford is pretty much the ultimate depth guy. Damn we’ve come a long way from McKenzie and Hibbeler and Tate Shaw being key players(they were solid but they were what they were. Walk ons and an average juco transfer). We got the pieces, let’s make some fucking noise. Do or die, David. Love ya buddy but top 3 in conference and potentially host or GTFO

On 10/5/2020 at 3:50 AM, Fletch said:

Yeah I’m thinking we get started mid March and end the year in July

I’m feeling pretty confident about this team. Todd, DJ, Kennedy and Zubia are some solid experienced veterans. We’re legit 4 deep at catcher. Cam Williams looks like a stud. Faltine looked solid at short. Stehly looks to be a solid 2nd basemen. Is lance ford still on the team? He’s a solid backup. Good depth dude. 

Little worried about starting pitching. I’d like to see something like Madden or Bryant Friday night, then Quintanilla as the Saturday dude and whoever doesn’t get the Friday spot between madden and Bryant as our Sunday guy with Coy Cobb as our Tuesday dude

I highly doubt Quintanilla will be a regular starter, he had the second highest ERA on the team. if anyone is going to fill a starting role regularly, it will be Ivan or Hansen. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Fletch said:

Any word on when they’re starting the season? Also are they doing that fall camp?

No reports that I have seen.    No publicity about Fall Camp except limited info on the baseball twitter site.   Statesman stated they may do an interview with Pierce in the near future.

NCAA Baseball Committee met earlier this week.   Kendall has info behind paywall.    May want to check his twitter for free info.

Yeah, when LHF told me to hang tight on changing my season tickets up a bit, I knew we aren't starting at Disch-Falk Field in February.  I think we start conference play in April with limited home series, and possibly some peppered local non-conf. games midweek (maybe 5 or so).  

I'm also hearing that due to Covid-19, Iowa State won't be playing any baseball this season.  Damn shame.