Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

Royce Hamm has played just 11 minutes through two games- 9 against UTRGV, and just 2 today. I dunno what that's about but it's dumb, especially considering that Sims and Cunningham were both in foul trouble today. We're going to need him in both league play and the postseason- for him to not be getting minutes now doesn't make sense. Then again this wouldn't be the first time that Shaka's usage of his roster was just straight up nonsensical. 

Edited by shadow_operative

I think the criticism of Coleman is overblown.  He has shown decent progress in his shooting and decision making, especially considering that he was already pretty good as a freshman. He hasn't been too different from many of the past guards who have played at Texas for 4 years (which is actually a fairly small list). 

Consider the below players.  Not a single one of them had better improvement than Coleman.  The only one who improved their shooting percentages as much as Coleman was Holland on waaaaaay less volume. Well, I suppose Balbay improved his free throw shooting too...  up to a whopping 59%, lol.  Felix got better, but still barely scored more than 10 ppg and a measly 2 apg as a senior...

Matt Coleman

First 2 yrs:  10.0 PTs, 3.7 AST,  1.0 STL, 1.9 TO with 39.9% FG, 30.9% 3PT, 78.6% FT

Last 2 yrs:  12.9 PTS, 3.5 AST, 1.3 STL, 2.3 TO with 47.6% FG, 39.5% 3PT, 80.0% FT

Javan Felix - Much better FG% and 3 PT%, but less than Coleman.

First 2 yrs:  9.2 PTs, 3.4 AST, 0.9 STL, 1.9 TO with 35.6% FG, 32.4% 3PT, 77.3% FT

Last 2 yrs:  9.7 PTS, 2.0 AST, 0.6 STL, 1.3 TO with 42.3% FG, 37.3% 3PT, 81.0% FT

Demarcus Holland - Meh. FT% still horrid

First 2 yrs:  5.3 PTs, 1.7 AST, 0.9 STL, 1.6 TO with 38.9% FG, 23.4% 3PT, 59.7% FT

Last 2 yrs:  5.1 PTS, 1.4 AST, 0.4 STL, 1.3 TO with 47.3% FG, 41.0% 3PT, 60.6% FT

AJ Abrams - Good FG improvement given his increased usage

First 2 yrs:  10.8 PTs, 2.3 AST, 1.0 STL, 1.5 TO with 39.8% FG, 41.3% 3PT, 90.6% FT

Last 2 yrs:  16.5 PTS, 1.4 AST, 1.5 STL, 1.9 TO with 44.4% FG, 38.9% 3PT, 83.2% FT

Jai Lucas - Meh. Got worse from his time at Florida

First 2 yrs:  8.5 PTs, 2.3 AST, 0.5 STL, 1.6 TO with 46.0% FG, 43.5% 3PT, 71.4% FT

Last 2 yrs:  2.9 PTS, 1.2 AST, 0.2 STL, 0.7 TO with 37.6% FG, 32.4% 3PT, 63.6% FT

Dogus Balbay - Lol at his 3 PT and FT percentages.

First 2 yrs:  3.5 PTs, 3.5 AST, 1.1 STL, 1.5 TO with 45.6% FG, 14.3% 3PT, 47.4% FT

Last 1 yrs:  4.1 PTS, 2.2 AST, 0.8 STL, 1.1 TO with 59.4% FG, 0.0% 3PT, 57.4% FT

Justin Mason - Dude seriously got worse across the board

First 2 yrs:  7.3 PTs, 2.4 AST, 0.9 STL, 1.3 TO with 42.3% FG, 37.1% 3PT, 62.6% FT

Last 2 yrs:  4.9 PTS, 2.9 AST, 1.0 STL, 1.5 TO with 42.6% FG, 21.6% 3PT, 51.9% FT

Kerwin Roach - Pretty solid improvement by his senior year

First 2 yrs:  8.7 PTs, 2.4 AST, 1.2 STL, 2.1 TO with 42.0% FG, 30.3% 3PT, 62.9% FT

Last 2 yrs:  13.4 PTS, 3.4 AST, 1.3 STL, 2.4 TO with 43.9% FG, 35.9% 3PT, 67.1% FT

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, I've been pretty impressed with Greg Brown's rebounding so far.  Granted it is just a sample size of two games, but from what I have seen he makes a real effort to track down rebounds and definitely has a nose for the ball.  Here is how he compares to our best rebounders of the last few years (so far at least):

2021 - G Brown:  15.6 TRB / 40 min, 28.6 TRB% and 12 ORB%  

2020 - J Simms:  12.0 TRB / 40 min, 17.8 TRB%, 12.5 ORB% 

2019 - Osetkowski:  10.0 TRB / 40 min, 14.5 TRB%, 9.9 ORB%

2018 - M Bamba: 14.0 TRB / 40 min, 20.2 TRB%, 12.2 ORB%

2017 - J Allen: 10.5 TRB / 40 min, 14.6 TRB%, 10.9 ORB%

2016 - C Ridley: 15.0 TRB / 40 min, 21.5 TRB%, 16.9 ORB%

2015 - M Turner: 11.8 TRB / 40 min, 16.7 TRB%, 7.2 ORB%

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I think the criticism of Coleman is overblown.  He has shown decent progress in his shooting and decision making, especially considering that he was already pretty good as a freshman. He hasn't been too different from many of the past guards who have played at Texas for 4 years (which is actually a fairly small list). 

Consider the below players.  Not a single one of them had better improvement than Coleman.  The only one who improved their shooting percentages as much as Coleman was Holland on waaaaaay less volume. Well, I suppose Balbay improved his free throw shooting too...  up to a whopping 59%, lol.  Felix got better, but still barely scored more than 10 ppg and a measly 2 apg as a senior...

Matt Coleman

First 2 yrs:  10.0 PTs, 3.7 AST,  1.0 STL, 1.9 TO with 39.9% FG, 30.9% 3PT, 78.6% FT

Last 2 yrs:  12.9 PTS, 3.5 AST, 1.3 STL, 2.3 TO with 47.6% FG, 39.5% 3PT, 80.0% FT

Javan Felix - Much better FG% and 3 PT%, but less than Coleman.

First 2 yrs:  9.2 PTs, 3.4 AST, 0.9 STL, 1.9 TO with 35.6% FG, 32.4% 3PT, 77.3% FT

Last 2 yrs:  9.7 PTS, 2.0 AST, 0.6 STL, 1.3 TO with 42.3% FG, 37.3% 3PT, 81.0% FT

Demarcus Holland - Meh. FT% still horrid

First 2 yrs:  5.3 PTs, 1.7 AST, 0.9 STL, 1.6 TO with 38.9% FG, 23.4% 3PT, 59.7% FT

Last 2 yrs:  5.1 PTS, 1.4 AST, 0.4 STL, 1.3 TO with 47.3% FG, 41.0% 3PT, 60.6% FT

AJ Abrams - Good FG improvement given his increased usage

First 2 yrs:  10.8 PTs, 2.3 AST, 1.0 STL, 1.5 TO with 39.8% FG, 41.3% 3PT, 90.6% FT

Last 2 yrs:  16.5 PTS, 1.4 AST, 1.5 STL, 1.9 TO with 44.4% FG, 38.9% 3PT, 83.2% FT

Jai Lucas - Meh. Got worse from his time at Florida

First 2 yrs:  8.5 PTs, 2.3 AST, 0.5 STL, 1.6 TO with 46.0% FG, 43.5% 3PT, 71.4% FT

Last 2 yrs:  2.9 PTS, 1.2 AST, 0.2 STL, 0.7 TO with 37.6% FG, 32.4% 3PT, 63.6% FT

Dogus Balbay - Lol at his 3 PT and FT percentages.

First 2 yrs:  3.5 PTs, 3.5 AST, 1.1 STL, 1.5 TO with 45.6% FG, 14.3% 3PT, 47.4% FT

Last 1 yrs:  4.1 PTS, 2.2 AST, 0.8 STL, 1.1 TO with 59.4% FG, 0.0% 3PT, 57.4% FT

Justin Mason - Dude seriously got worse across the board

First 2 yrs:  7.3 PTs, 2.4 AST, 0.9 STL, 1.3 TO with 42.3% FG, 37.1% 3PT, 62.6% FT

Last 2 yrs:  4.9 PTS, 2.9 AST, 1.0 STL, 1.5 TO with 42.6% FG, 21.6% 3PT, 51.9% FT

Kerwin Roach - Pretty solid improvement by his senior year

First 2 yrs:  8.7 PTs, 2.4 AST, 1.2 STL, 2.1 TO with 42.0% FG, 30.3% 3PT, 62.9% FT

Last 2 yrs:  13.4 PTS, 3.4 AST, 1.3 STL, 2.4 TO with 43.9% FG, 35.9% 3PT, 67.1% FT

More than any other player Coleman's numbers are a reflection of the talent around him.  With both more experience and better talent across the roster I look for his assist to turnover ratio to be marketed improved over his 1st three years.  Other than that I'd like to see him and the other guards get to the FT a lot this year.  

32 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Also, I've been pretty impressed with Greg Brown's rebounding so far.  Granted it is just a sample size of two games, but from what I have seen he makes a real effort to track down rebounds and definitely has a nose for the ball.  Here is how he compares to our best rebounders of the last few years (so far at least):

2021 - G Brown:  15.6 TRB / 40 min, 28.6 TRB% and 12 ORB%  

2020 - J Simms:  12.0 TRB / 40 min, 17.8 TRB%, 12.5 ORB% 

2019 - Osetkowski:  10.0 TRB / 40 min, 14.5 TRB%, 9.9 ORB%

2018 - M Bamba: 14.0 TRB / 40 min, 20.2 TRB%, 12.2 ORB%

2017 - J Allen: 10.5 TRB / 40 min, 14.6 TRB%, 10.9 ORB%

2016 - C Ridley: 15.0 TRB / 40 min, 21.5 TRB%, 16.9 ORB%

2015 - M Turner: 11.8 TRB / 40 min, 16.7 TRB%, 7.2 ORB%

Pretty disingenious even if you did make the sample size concession. He's played against a bunch of stiffs so far. 

(I am high on his rebounding, though - he boards well in traffic, for one)

22 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I'll update as we go along. Just given what I've seen so far, I think he will end up better than a lot of the guys I listed.  But agreed, I don't expect that the numbers will stay this high.

He is nowhere near as polished as Myles was at his age when it comes to finishing, shot blocking and shooting. The others I might give you - although Bamba has a much bigger frame so it's not quite apples to apples. He was also used horrendously innefectively here.

Quick note - IU is favored by 1.5 today. That seemed strange to me. I bought it up to 2.5 and put $40 on it. So I'm fully expecting to watch Shaka fuck this one up somehow.

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Royce Hamm has played just 11 minutes through two games- 9 against UTRGV, and just 2 today. I dunno what that's about but it's dumb, especially considering that Sims and Cunningham were both in foul trouble today. We're going to need him in both league play and the postseason- for him to not be getting minutes now doesn't make sense. Then again this wouldn't be the first time that Shaka's usage of his roster was just straight up nonsensical. 

glad to see him in early today. from the game thread:

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Royce Hamm in early and he immediately rearranges a shot. glad to see him in there. 

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

outstanding job boxing out by both Royce and Liddell there. 

also from the game thread:

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lol, we've been called for 4 or 5 travels already. 

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Hamm with the block and rebound. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

Courtney Ramey STILL just dribbles with his head down for 10 seconds before wildly throwing up a contested shot. 

I've truly never seen a coach just completely fail to address his players' most obvious flaws the way Shaka Smart does. It's like he doesn't even see them. It's insane.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

WTF is Ramey doing?  Pass the fucking ball. He's either taking a terrible shot or turning it over every damn time.

different year, same shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

glad to see him in early today. from the game thread:

also from the game thread:

different year, same shit. 

Yep. Same shitty coaching as every other year just with a more talented roster this year. Nothing will change and if he sticks around next year once a bunch of these guys leave, we'll be absolutely awful. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

They look pretty good so far. Pretty much dominated Indiana today. But, I refuse to get sucked in. They've looked good early in the past, only to totally shit the bed once conference play starts. 

I’m treading lightly. This team is fun to watch, plays hard, has a lot of depth, athletes everywhere and has senior leadership. 

The ball moves on offense and is aggressive to the rim and defense is all over.   Finally some defense that Shaka was suppose to bring with him from VCU 

7 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

They look pretty good so far. Pretty much dominated Indiana today. But, I refuse to get sucked in. They've looked good early in the past, only to totally shit the bed once conference play starts. 

Some of that was Indiana playing like absolute dogshit. Our defense looked pretty good but when you throw the kind of athletes out there that we have it’s hard not to look good. We still have no clue what to do on offense. So tired of them jacking up contested 3’s for no reason. Eliminate JUST that, and we win that game by 35. We shot under 40%, and under 30% from 3. The rebounding is a sight for sore eyes though.

• Like 1

He had a nice drive off of a curl cut today. He caught the ball near the elbow, drove to the basket, jumped stopped, pump faked, and then dunked it after his man went by. I distinctly remember it because it's the type of play you rarely see a player finish with a dunk. Have to keep him out of foul trouble. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He had a nice drive off of a curl cut today. He caught the ball near the elbow, drove to the basket, jumped stopped, pump faked, and then dunked it after his man went by. I distinctly remember it because it's the type of play you rarely see a player finish with a dunk. Have to keep him out of foul trouble. 

reminded me of Damion James, or any number of athletic Big XII wings over the years. his sheer athleticism + a couple of basic moves is too much for most to handle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I’m treading lightly. This team is fun to watch, plays hard, has a lot of depth, athletes everywhere and has senior leadership. 

The ball moves on offense and is aggressive to the rim and defense is all over.   Finally some defense that Shaka was suppose to bring with him from VCU 

I'm cautiously optimistic

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, justhookit said:

Some of that was Indiana playing like absolute dogshit. Our defense looked pretty good but when you throw the kind of athletes out there that we have it’s hard not to look good. We still have no clue what to do on offense. So tired of them jacking up contested 3’s for no reason. Eliminate JUST that, and we win that game by 35. We shot under 40%, and under 30% from 3. The rebounding is a sight for sore eyes though.

^^^THIS

The balance and depth is encouraging.  Scoring so far:

Ramey:  15.7 ppg

Coleman:  14.3 ppg

Jones, A:  12.5 ppg

Jones, K:  10.3 ppg

Brown:  8.0 ppg

Sims:  8.0 ppg

It will be nice to see this continue, instead of our usual "which guy is gonna step up (if any) and drain 25 pts today?".

15 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Kai Jones is yet to miss a FG so far this season. 10-10 on 2pt FGs and 2-2 on 3pters.

5-7 on FTs. 

15 hours ago, BowleggedMonkey said:

All on put backs. No designed plays to get bigs action

Ahh the ol' put back 3-pointer. It's a helluva play. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I would like to see the below lineup on the court together.  I would prefer to keep two of Greg Brown, Kai Jones, Sims and Hamm on the court at any given time.  Let Brock essentially eat into Ramey's minutes by sliding Andrew Jones down to SG.

• PG - Coleman
  • SG - Andrew Jones
  • SF - Brock Cunningham
  • PF - Greg Brown
  • C - Kai Jones

I have also seen enough of Greg Brown to try a big lineup where he plays some small forward.  He can certainly handle the ball. Something like this:

• PG - Coleman
  • SG - Andrew Jones
  • SF - Greg Brown
  • PF - Jericho Sims
  • C - Kai Jones

• Like 1

Maybe the best line I remember Walton saying was something about getting Bruce Hornsby to put on a justice benefit for Brown getting shafted by the refs. Typically you doing hear them call out the refs like that but they were trying to hand it to NC for most of that 2nd half

I would like to see the below lineup on the court together.  I would prefer to keep two of Greg Brown, Kai Jones, Sims and Hamm on the court at any given time.  Let Brock essentially eat into Ramey's minutes by sliding Andrew Jones down to SG.
  • PG - Coleman
  • SG - Andrew Jones
  • SF - Brock Cunningham
  • PF - Greg Brown
  • C - Kai Jones
I have also seen enough of Greg Brown to try a big lineup where he plays some small forward.  He can certainly handle the ball. Something like this:
  • PG - Coleman
  • SG - Andrew Jones
  • SF - Greg Brown
  • PF - Jericho Sims
  • C - Kai Jones

Sliding Ramey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Maybe the best line I remember Walton saying was something about getting Bruce Hornsby to put on a justice benefit for Brown getting shafted by the refs. Typically you doing hear them call out the refs like that but they were trying to hand it to NC for most of that 2nd half

As one of the 3 people watching the game yesterday that know that Walton referenced Hornsby because he played with Walton's favorite band, the Grateful Dead, for a few years...I appreciate this take.  Walton is the worst Dead Head I've ever encountered.  But Texas basketball is no longer the December Dumpster Fire it's been in recent years.  So Hook 'Em, Steal Your Face, etc..

Andrew Jones was 1-7 from the field last night w/ 5 turnovers. He wasn't much better against IN. I'd like to see Brockingham and Kai get more of his minutes. He's been a liability at this point. Unfortunately I'm afraid the Leukemia might have done him in. Would love to see a turnaround and I hope I'm wrong, but at this point he needs to see the court less. Febres can't get back soon enough.

3 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Andrew Jones was 1-7 from the field last night w/ 5 turnovers. He wasn't much better against IN. I'd like to see Brockingham and Kai get more of his minutes. He's been a liability at this point. Unfortunately I'm afraid the Leukemia might have done him in. Would love to see a turnaround and I hope I'm wrong, but at this point he needs to see the court less. Febres can't get back soon enough.

We're 4 games into the season and Andrew has only played in 3 of them.  At this time last year a guy like Kai had barely played yet proved to be a significant contributor later on in the season. Tap the breaks a little. I'm still waiting on Donovan Williams to make an impact after his offseason surgery. Same goes for Jase. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

We're 4 games into the season and Andrew has only played in 3 of them.  At this time last year a guy like Kai had barely played. Tap the breaks a little.  

Overreact much?? Andrew is not a Freshman. I said I hope I'm wrong, but until he starts putting it together there's other players that deserve his minutes more.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Don't follow CBB particularly closely. Is Texas actually good this year or is this another early season mirage?

The proof is in the baked pudding cake...or something.  What usually happens is that a team will find and exploit one or more of our glaring weakness, and all other opponents pick up on it.  Shaka not being able to adjust to our opponents adjustments has been perhaps his most glaring weakness.  Talent and insane athleticism can make of for a lot of deficiencies.  Whether or not we have enough for season-long success remains to be proven.  It is also possible that Shaka has learned some things or has better help around him than in years past, but that too remains to be proven. 

6 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

The proof is in the baked pudding cake...or something.  What usually happens is that a team will find and exploit one or more of our glaring weakness, and all other opponents pick up on it.  Shaka not being able to adjust to our opponents adjustments has been perhaps his most glaring weakness.  Talent and insane athleticism can make of for a lot of deficiencies.  Whether or not we have enough for season-long success remains to be proven.  It is also possible that Shaka has learned some things or has better help around him than in years past, but that too remains to be proven. 

We have a full set of experienced guards. That's the major difference between this year and all the others sans his first, which also happened to be his best year at UT so far. That being said, after watching Baylor last night our guards still have a ways to go, outside of Coleman,. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Andrew was the superior player to Febres in 2019 when he was down 20 lbs and played with a PICC line in his body... relax. He’s 3 games in for christ sake, let him find a rhythm.

Edited by CheesePie
  • Hook 'Em 1

JFC can people express any disappointment in players not playing up to expectation so far without getting told to relax or calm down? 

I did with GBIII and was told most Freshman don't come in averaging 15-20 a game, well after some quick and easy research out of the top 10 2020 recruits GBIII 8ppg is dead last and one other guy is at 11ppg and everyone else is averaging between 14-18ppg so to act like wanting our Prize 5 star recruit to be scoring in that range is crazy is just dumb. I even said I am sure he will snap out of it I was just hoping he would come in and dominate from the tip or you know maybe average at least 10ppg like the other top 10 guys have been doing and not having any issue with "It's just 4 games". 

No one is saying He sucks or that Jones is terrible we are pointing out areas of concern and it's not like we haven't seen Shaka teams have early success only to implode so we have reason to be worried about guys turning it over, struggling to score, not rebounding well and missing free throws. Those aren't great areas to struggle in if it want long term success in basketball.

The positives have been dully noted and I am glad we are winning and fighting back and pulling games out. I will give Shaka his due when he does well and so far It's only been 4 games though right?

Well, if it's mid-day basketball you crave....ESPN just announced that in addition to Villanova this Sunday at noon, we've got Baylor on 12/13 at 2:00p on ESPN.  So that's something.

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well, if it's mid-day basketball you crave....ESPN just announced that in addition to Villanova this Sunday at noon, we've got Baylor on 12/13 at 2:00p on ESPN.  So that's something.

Mid-week, mid-day basketball.  

I like having an excuse to work from the couch for 2-3 hours.