Ex Cop and son kill unarmed black man jogging

purplepride95

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I think the best one can hope for is a hung jury.   There are a shit-ton of southern dummies who still view lynching as a good thing and there's likely one of those scumbags on the jury. 

This is the play.

It's the best play the defense has.

With their jury, it may work.

We are not very far removed, at all, from a viable defense closing there being "who you gonna trust, these 3 upstanding white citizens, your neighbors, or some dirty n-word, a member of the criminal class?"  Shit, it seems like that WAS the closing, just without using the n-word.

SIAP but I caught a snippet of the defense’s closing on the news today.

Something songthe lines of “Arbury wasn’t a victim because he was wearing khaki shorts, had no socks on, and had long dirty toenails”. Seriously.

Anyone else see that?

*Along.
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Could she have been so bold to have invoked the old "eeny meeny miny moe, catch a tiger* by the toe(nails), if he hollers let him go" rhyme?

tiger was the whitewashed version

https://aninjusticemag.com/the-racist-origin-of-eeny-meeny-miny-moe-411e2d4815ac

Yeah, gotta tell ya, that was one that I had NO idea about the racist origins.  I'd been using the "tiger" version my whole life, had heard only that version, so had no idea there was any other implication.  Shit, I still use it in my head all the time, because for my entire frame of reference, it's just an innocent child's counting tool.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, gotta tell ya, that was one that I had NO idea about the racist origins.  I'd been using the "tiger" version my whole life, had heard only that version, so had no idea there was any other implication.  Shit, I still use it in my head all the time, because for my entire frame of reference, it's just an innocent child's counting tool.

Apparently in the slave trade grabbing a slave by the big toe was a way to see if they were suitable for field work.  If they had ingrown nails, soft feet, or other pains and he hollered when his toe was grabbed you let him go and bought the ones with good feet. So the idea of picking a person was the point of it all along, just originated with slavery.  I don't know if the second verse "My mommy told me to pick the very best one..." was in the original versions or more modern.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Say what you will about the old South, but they know how to get extremely esoteric with their racism. You're not going to get an obscure reference to dirty toenails used as a racist appeal by some Boston southies. That's some real Georgia or South Carolina shit right there.

Mah!  Mah!  Look at his fucking toenails, mah!  His toes, Mah...look at 'em!  /

11 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Say what you will about the old South, but they know how to get extremely esoteric with their racism. You're not going to get an obscure reference to dirty toenails used as a racist appeal by some Boston southies. That's some real Georgia or South Carolina shit right there.

Esoteric to the rest of the world but they all wink and nod at each other.  That's the whole point of dog whistles, to communicate in a way that your cohort understands without drawing the attention of everyone else.

Edited by TexasEd

Try to imagine being the only black juror in the deliberations. Hoping for guilty verdicts. We all hold out breath for yet another verdict until the next trial. That’s not sustainable at some point. If the jurors go by the law it should be quick guilty verdict…at least for the father/son… the third defendant’s attorney essentially called those two murderers in his closing. 

The “he was probably up to no good” defense has been asserted, and it absolutely works on some people.

A comment from Jerry Patterson’s page after he asked people to chime in with predictions (not by Jerry - Jerry’s actually a good enough guy):

“Acquittal. There's a lot of reason to believe he was up to no good and Georgia law at the time made it potentially legal for the 3 to get involved.”

Will one juror feel that way? In Glynn county Ga? The risk is material.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

The “he was probably up to no good” defense has been asserted, and it absolutely works on some people.

A comment from Jerry Patterson’s page after he asked people to chime in with predictions (not by Jerry - Jerry’s actually a good enough guy):

“Acquittal. There's a lot of reason to believe he was up to no good and Georgia law at the time made it potentially legal for the 3 to get involved.”

I'd put the odds of a mistrial at pretty close to even.  I'd be very surprised at an acquittal.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I'd put the odds of a mistrial at pretty close to even.  I'd be very surprised at an acquittal.

Agree, I don't think they get the votes for an acquittal.  But I think there's an uncomfortably strong shot at having one or more jurors who will stand fast for acquittal, thus resulting in a mistrial.  I was just posting the opinion of an exemplar person who would vote for acquittal.

Again, I'm not guaranteeing that outcome at all.  I'm just observing that it is a real and undeniable possibility....and that fact alone is troubling as shit, because this case IS an absolute no-brainer.

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

that "driveway defense" bullshit was some interesting tactics. i don't know if we know the racial makeup of the jury, but that was some white people in a good neighborhood bullshit.

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Agree, I don't think they get the votes for an acquittal.  But I think there's an uncomfortably strong shot at having one or more jurors who will stand fast for acquittal, thus resulting in a mistrial.  I was just posting the opinion of an exemplar person who would vote for acquittal.

Again, I'm not guaranteeing that outcome at all.  I'm just observing that it is a real and undeniable possibility....and that fact alone is troubling as shit, because this case IS an absolute no-brainer.

80/20 for the McMichaels

50/50 for Bryan

FWIW, it takes 94.4% of a population to agree on something to have a 50% chance of randomly drawing 12 that agree.  Jury selection and collaborative deliberation drill this down somewhat, but it's still a high bar.

Edited by JBJ

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

1) that's kinda racist

2) that's not justice.

prison is okay, but rooting for prison rape is...weird to me.

The one place where segregation by race is arguably a good thing is prison.  As gangs are organized by race.  And much violence is interracial.

I do not think people sentenced to prison should be subjected to prison violence or rape.  It is barbaric to root for that. The state of our prisons in general is deplorable.  We also incarcerate way too many people due to the failed war on drugs.  Drugs should be legal.  We should spend money on treatment for those who want it.  Or failing legalization, we should decriminalize all nonviolent drug "crimes"

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I wonder how much the impending holidays will impact the jury deliberations. Bryan is the only defendant I worry slightly about. I think father and son definitely found guilty. I know 3 days ago Bryan’s attorney approached the prosecution with a plea deal and the state turned that down flat. No doubt his attorney wanted no jail time or something ridiculous. But they did approach so they were somewhat worried about the strength of the state’s case. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I had never heard of the "N" version until I saw Pulp Fiction in the theater. I was looking around to see if anyone else had heard it or maybe I was losing my mind.

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

1) that's kinda racist

2) that's not justice.

prison is okay, but rooting for prison rape is...weird to me.

No it’s not racist it might be racial cause the black guys are probably gonna tear them up and with good reason as their crime was racially motivated.

And if you think it’s weird go Back and point that out to every other poster here whose wished that on POS like those guys for literally years.  That you single me out is what’s weird.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No it’s not racist it might be racial cause the black guys are probably gonna tear them up and with good reason as their crime was racially motivated.

And if you think it’s weird go Back and point that out to every other poster here whose wished that on  POS like those guys  for literally years around here.  That you single me out is what’s weird.

That's a lot of clicks.

50 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

And if you think it’s weird go Back and point that out to every other poster here whose wished that on  POS like those guys  for literally years around here.  That you single me out is what’s weird.

for years, i've deplored prison rape. years and years, going all the way back to the old site and the even older site.

and you used the word "brothers." that's what stood out to me. just letting you know. i mean, i didn't moderate shit, but you can get careless with your language sometimes, though i think you and i would probably get along great beside each other in a bar.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

for years, i've deplored prison rape. years and years, going all the way back to the old site and the even older site.

and you used the word "brothers." that's what stood out to me. just letting you know. i mean, i didn't moderate shit, but you can get careless with your language sometimes, though i think you and i would probably get along great beside each other in a bar.

I hear you, and certainly didn't mean anything racist by the use of the term brothers,  I used brothers, I could have said the black guys I guess. This issue is very racially connected so my response was using that as the basis for who I'd say would be pretty motivated to mete out some justice . 

You know prison rape is an oft repeated sentiment in many posts in response to horrid crimes we see in threads.  I think those fuckers deserve any prison yard punishment they get. They robbed a man of his life because of the color of his skin, and his family lost a family member, brother, sister, etc.

Yeah, I doubt most guys here would have any issue with other posters sitting at a bar.  We talk about sometimes controversial shit here we wouldn't talk to folks about.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think those fuckers deserve any prison yard punishment they get. They robbed a man of his life because of the color of his skin, and his family lost a family member, brother, sister, etc.

This is what I can't get my head around.  I don't see that as "justice."  We have laws that as a society we've chosen to create that define "justice" (for better or worse).  Rape or other violence meted out in prison is simply another crime committed.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

I had never heard of the "N" version until I saw Pulp Fiction in the theater. I was looking around to see if anyone else had heard it or maybe I was losing my mind.

Unfortunately, I’d never heard the tiger version until I was a parent. Same thing with “jury rigged”. I still don’t know what those flowers referred to as “N——- Toes” are actually named. Growing up in small town Texas fucking sucked.

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

Unfortunately, I’d never heard the tiger version until I was a parent. Same thing with “jury rigged”. I still don’t know what those flowers referred to as “N——- Toes” are actually named. Growing up in small town Texas fucking sucked.

My mom still says shit like this and then when we correct her, she likes to say, "I'm from a small town in Texas in the 50's...that's just how it was."  And I'm left wondering, "Why do people from small towns a long time ago just keep the shitty aspects of it with them all those years?"  Like mild racism, poor vocabulary, holding grudges, and chatty gossip?  They never keep the good parts of growing up in a small town like home cooking, kindness to neighbors, or a nice lawn.  It's always the shitty parts.  

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Same thing with “jury rigged”. 

I always understood that to originally have been "Jerry rigged", as in WWI Germans.  But I suppose it's been around as a perjorative for a long time.

Edit:  Apparently it has been around for a very long time.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Flowers?  That’s the colloquial racist term for Brazil nuts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I never said they should be raped in prison for fuck's sake.  I posted they should be put in adjacent cells and one night the dad hears the boy holding back sounds from his mouth.  And he tells the boy to have some southern pride and not let people see/hear him sobbing, lest he be targeted for weakness.  But the son informs him he's not crying, he's just choking on cock.  

What difference does our off-putting humor have to do with what actually happens, IRL, to these men in prison?  Where else am I celebrating prison rape?  You guys bring up shit from a year and a half ago and take it out of context like fucking women in a sewing circle.

Just now, Lobo said:

I never said they should be raped in prison for fuck's sake.  I posted they should be put in adjacent cells and one night the dad hears the boy holding back sounds from his mouth.  And he tells the boy to have some southern pride and not let people see/hear him sobbing, lest he be targeted for weakness.  But the son informs him he's not crying, he's just choking on cock.  

What difference does our off-putting humor have to do with what actually happens, IRL, to these men in prison?  Where else am I celebrating prison rape?  You guys bring up shit from a year and a half ago and take it out of context like fucking women in a sewing circle.

You're a weird dude

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

Yep.  That's a real world worry for real people who are going a real prison like these two defendants.  A bad joke I made 18 months ago won't change that fact.  

Now, if you wanna get into reality for a minute.  then we talk about how real people can put real money into real canteen accounts of other real prisoners or send real money to real prison guards so these two can have the ever living shit beat out of them on a monthly basis.