Cops break into EMT’s apartment and kill her while searching for a suspect they already had in custody

Buzzrock

Yep.
And I think that was bullshit.  Want to fix that shit?  The DA calls the chief into her office.  She lays out in front of him not just that report, but a dozen others on which one of his cops told a brazen lie.  She tells him "you've got a problem -- your cops think it's okay to lie.  You need to fix this, and fast.  Here's what's waiting for you if you don't: I'm going to spoon feed every one of these stories, and 50 others, to the press.  It will include individual officer names.  It will include a discussion of this meeting, and the fact that I gave you a chance to clean things up, and you didn't take it.  And it will finish with my office prosecuting every one of those officers for perjury.  Do your job.  Do it honestly.  I don't ever want to see any of your officers submit false statements to this office again.  I presume you don't either, right?  Good.  Then you'll do what needs to be done, and we won't have to have the next conversation about this.  Have a nice weekend."
That requires some spine.  Haven't seen a whole lot of that.  Because, what do you think the cops' reaction to that will be?  How much you want to bet that the reaction will include tailing the DA wherever she goes, looking for her to do anything that gives you cause to arrest or hassle her?  Or maybe they'll do that to her kids, or her spouse, etc.  
When you understand that you're dealing with a criminal gang, the dynamic is really, really different.

The only former assistant DA I know thought of himself as a supercop and got a serious charge out of carrying a gun and a badge. They are on the cops’ side. This isn’t going to happen.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Now we’re talking. This is what I was trying to get at in the CR thread but I was (predictably) drummed out for the mortal sin of asking questions. I think this is a great idea and the analogy to predatory teachers is perfect. Guess what? Sometimes some good teachers get caught in that net. But it’s worth it.

For the law holds, that it is better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer.”

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Would go a long, long, long way.  I know I've related this before, but a couple of years ago, had a candid discussion with a federal judge, and he disclosed that around 80% of his docket was what he called "border related," and almost all of that was drug cases (some human trafficking, but mostly drugs).  Later, I commented on how I thought it would be cool to try a case at the new Federal Courthouse in Alpine, it's really beautiful:

03_Alpine-Courthouse.jpg

He chuckled.  "They don't try cases down there -- they built that just to arraign drug smuggling defendants."  Before, they had to keep buses running in the parking lot, with the AC on, because there wasn't room inside the old small structure for all the defendants each day.

Look at the resources spent in terms of time and money....and your ability to get a bump of coke at the club is the same that it was 50 years ago.  We have broken ourselves, we did it on purpose, and we refuse to change.

I know that place very very well.  Used to live about a 3 iron away.

And he's not kidding, they do not try cases there. Ever.

Perhaps they should also use it for some of the Swinger meet-ups withing the Sheriff's office, local Alpine PD, and Border Patrol open marriage types out of Marfa.  Lot of weird shit goin' on out in Brewster Co HOLLA!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

I know that place very very well.  Used to live about a 3 iron away.

And he's not kidding, they do not try cases there. Ever.

Perhaps they should also use it for some of the Swinger meet-ups withing the Sheriff's office, local Alpine PD, and Border Patrol open marriage types out of Marfa.  Lot of weird shit goin' on out in Brewster Co HOLLA!

Oh, among the LEO crowd, that stuff is going on EVERYWHERE.  Many years ago, I briefly handled some cases involving DPS officers.....holy crap, the high-school level of behavior, but with a LOT more booze and sex, was jaw-dropping.   Everyone boning everyone else's spouse, petty revenge plots -- seriously, soap opera shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, among the LEO crowd, that stuff is going on EVERYWHERE.  Many years ago, I briefly handled some cases involving DPS officers.....holy crap, the high-school level of behavior, but with a LOT more booze and sex, was jaw-dropping.   Everyone boning everyone else's spouse, petty revenge plots -- seriously, soap opera shit.

So, like law school or countless local Bar communities?

I had a cousin that was with the ATF at the Branch Davidian raid, and my best friend retired as the Senior Investigator for Ellis County DA's office. Both of them didn't care for No-Knock raids. Both said that it would be so much easier to nab suspects when they went to the store to get bread and milk. It seems as though some departments get off on a show of force, others won't take the time for surveillance to catch a suspect out in the open. My buddy that retired from Ellis County said he could usually get the DA to allow him a few days to attempt to locate and arrest the suspect before they executed a raid. It would make much more sense for any new investment in law enforcement to be for surveillance equipment, such as tracking devices, drones, and stealth cameras.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Sat next to her once at some local bar function/lunch. Most hungover person if ever seen in my life and it was noon. 

Yeah, but if you had run out of GooBGone (or whatever that shit's called) and needed to change out your registration tags, I'll bet she'd come in handy out in the parking lot.

Give her a chance to "go look for something" under her car seat while y'all are at it.

Errrrrbody wins!

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Easy joke is easy... but it was a college girl at a party not a stripper iirc.

I saw that one. It was Forensic Files and a truly horrible case. She left a party and a complete stranger passed her on the road and stopped his car a block or so up and started firing a weapon into her car. Later they found out he was also a serial rapist. She was wounded too badly to continue driving and he caught up to her car after she hit the median and put her in his vehicle and then later dumped her on the side of the road in a ditch to die. Which ultimately happened. 

sorry. Didn’t mean to go off track but I saw that episode. And yes, forensics is ridiculous now. So much they can find out. You can’t destroy all the evidence.

clearly the police had been out in front of Taylor’s house (as the ambulance that had been there was sent away some time before the officers made entry.) A simple phone call would suffice. “Hey we are out front. We are about to bash your door in. You have 30 seconds to answer the door. Or we are coming in. We are the police.” 

I am sure that sounds foolish but honestly look at the outcome of how it went down. Worried about the destruction of evidence that wasn’t there. They may very well have announced themselves before aggressively knocking but it allegedly and (it makes sense) likely was not heard. Just the knocking. Jmo.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Between 1) many judges being lazy, cowards, or both (and thus they just accept what a cop says at face value), 2) having the time -- each warrant application contains a crapload of statements; if a court subjected the affirming officer to detailed examination on each statement in each warrant application, the court would gum up to the point of paralysis.

Credibility in a courtroom matters -- as lawyers, it's one of our most valuable assets.  I have had judges expressly tell me that - "counselor, I know you need me to act on this today, and I simply don't have the time to read your entire application here -- you haven't led me astray before, so I'm asking you -- are all of the statements here on the conclusion page accurate?"  I answer yes. "Okay, I'm doing this based on the fact that I can trust you  - I'm sure you don't want to lose that trust."  And I don't.  Because if I hoodwink a judge, every other judge in town will know about it within a week, and my name will be mud, and they won't trust anything I tell them.

The point is, the workload of a court is almost always heavy enough that they have to simply trust people, particularly "repeat players" before them.  And in the abstract, it's definitely not ideal.  The court SHOULD read every word on every page. The court SHOULD subject a cop to examination on any statement that reads like it's canned, seems suspicious, etc.  Whether because of practicality, cowardice, laziness, or corruption (and they all look the same, when you're looking up at the bench), it doesn't happen, and really can't happen the way things are structured.

Personally, I would like to see some significant reforms to the way that warrants are issued, particularly any warrant that involves creating a dangerous situation (no-knocks aren't the only ones, but they're the glaring ones).

And, I'm not quoting myself for vanity here, I thought about this some more, and realized that it's worth saying that perhaps it's a dirty secret that more people need to understand: our systems, whether they be of justice, laws, politics, or businesses, are HEAVILY dependent on honesty and good faith.  Seriously, you can write all the rules and laws you want, create procedures that are detailed down to the nth degree.....and if the players don't conduct themselves with some measure of honesty and good faith, it all falls to shit.

The common thread -- and COMMON WEAKNESS (that's the really important part) -- of all of our institutions, from top to bottom, is that in the end, they rely on the players conducting themselves for the most part with honesty and in good faith.  If they simply refuse to do so, or if the right ones (the most powerful ones) simply refuse to do so, it all falls apart.

We can reform everything we want.  We can enact rules and procedures for cops.  And DAs.  And congressmen, and presidents, etc.  And if they simply decide that they aren't going to conduct themselves with honesty and good faith, we're fucked.  The most important social change we can bring about is to renew a civic belief in the importance of honesty, integrity, and conducting yourself in good faith.

Society is nothing but a web of agreements.  If we decide to dispense with the most foundational of those, then the rest goes to shit, in a heartbeat.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It's on steroids in Alpine.  

On top of that, you've got other dumbassery like the two Border Patrol agents this past summer who got kicked out of the Crystal for being too drunk and acting like complete A-Holes.  Nothing really bad, just got shown the door.

Well, someone that night came and shut off the outside power breaker to the joint essentially ruining a shit ton of $$$s worth of their craft beer in the coolers.  Dumbasses forgot two things - to remove their uniforms AND avoid the outside night vision enabled security cameras.  You'd think they would have thought of that, being Heroes and all.  Luckily for them the owner, who is a friend of mine, went to their Supervisor and said, "Write me a check for 'X' amount or I go to Ronnie Dodson (the Sheriff) with these videos tomorrow".

She got her check.

And, yeah, the amount of swinging/wife swapping that goes on between all of those Mensas is the stuff that this guy would stand in awe of...

LivelyEnchantedAiredaleterrier-size_rest

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cajun said:

It's on steroids in Alpine.  

On top of that, you've got other dumbassery like the two Border Patrol agents this past summer who got kicked out of the Crystal for being too drunk and acting like complete A-Holes.  Nothing really bad, just got shown the door.

Well, someone that night came and shut off the outside power breaker to the joint essentially ruining a shit ton of $$$s worth of their craft beer in the coolers.  Dumbasses forgot two things - to remove their uniforms AND avoid the outside night vision enabled security cameras.  You'd think they would have thought of that, being Heroes and all.  Luckily for them the owner, who is a friend of mine, went to their Supervisor and said, "Write me a check for 'X' amount or I go to Ronnie Dodson (the Sheriff) with these videos tomorrow".

She got her check.

And, yeah, the amount of swinging/wife swapping that goes on between all of those Mensas is the stuff that this guy would stand in awe of...

LivelyEnchantedAiredaleterrier-size_rest

I'm just going to pretend the border patrol guys got fired, even though I'm sure they didn't, so I don't have to think poorly of your friend.

11 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

I'm just going to pretend the border patrol guys got fired, even though I'm sure they didn't, so I don't have to think poorly of your friend.

My cousin was a BP agent.  He was a good one -- both in terms of treating people decently, and having a knack for catching illegals (he was a lifelong hunter, we used to hunt together, and he just enjoyed the thrill of tracking and finding).  He was a good agent in every sense of the word.  He got caught up in politics with a superior at another station....he made the mistake of counterattacking by stating certain illegal/unethical actions he was aware of....he was drummed out posthaste.  And they're VERY good at destroying evidence and covering their tracks (he was hopelessly naive -- like I said, he was a good guy who followed the rules, and foolishly thought everyone else would, too).

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My cousin was a BP agent.  He was a good one -- both in terms of treating people decently, and having a knack for catching illegals (he was a lifelong hunter, we used to hunt together, and he just enjoyed the thrill of tracking and finding).  He was a good agent in every sense of the word.  He got caught up in politics with a superior at another station....he made the mistake of counterattacking by stating certain illegal/unethical actions he was aware of....he was drummed out posthaste.  And they're VERY good at destroying evidence and covering their tracks (he was hopelessly naive -- like I said, he was a good guy who followed the rules, and foolishly thought everyone else would, too).

That sucks about your cousin.  Is your point that the bar owner went and got her money from the Supervisor because she knew if she went to the Sheriff the Border Patrol would have caused her many future problems and she would've likely lost her business for making waves?  If so, is that the silence is collusion I've been hearing about? She kept quiet, got her money, and asshole who abuse authority get to keep doing so?  

13 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

If so, is that the silence is collusion I've been hearing about? She kept quiet, got her money, and asshole who abuse authority get to keep doing so?  

That's a very good example of "silence is collusion", you also hear it referred to as the "thin blue line". It's bad cops covering for good cops. It's when two cops go and destroy a bar's products in an act of retribution like in Cajun's story - they get away with it scot-free.

There's so many people involved with those situations and yet somehow these uniformed peace officers continually get away with behavior that would get you or I fired from our jobs and ruin our careers.

Edited by Captainant

1 hour ago, gernblansten said:

They did not.

She's not dumb.  The risk of retribution and loss of business from ending the careers of two BPAs out in that Wild Wild West atmosphere is not worth the "reward" and she knows that.

Go ahead and think poorly if you must.  Given where it happened she made the smart move.

56 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

That sucks about your cousin.  Is your point that the bar owner went and got her money from the Supervisor because she knew if she went to the Sheriff the Border Patrol would have caused her many future problems and she would've likely lost her business for making waves?  If so, is that the silence is collusion I've been hearing about? She kept quiet, got her money, and asshole who abuse authority get to keep doing so?  

Yes.  Make whatever judgements you see fit.

I know some good (well one) BP agents out there who spoke up about some shady shit that was going on and low and behold he was passed over for promotions, not given reimbursement for medical (he hurt his back falling off a train trussel chasing OTMs), and a bunch of other bad stuff to the extent that he quit before earning full retirement after decades of service.  

They have grudges, have long memories, and get even.

Edited by Cajun

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Spot on and almost blow for blow what my Alpine BP friend described as happening to him.

He lives in SA now and is a Federal Marshall.  Much happier.

Just now, Cajun said:

Spot on and almost blow for blow what my Alpine BP friend described as happening to him.

He lives in SA now and is a Federal Marshall.  Much happier.

Yeah, my cousin borrowed money and opened one of those stand-alone Sears appliance stores in a small town.  Ooof.  Really a good and decent guy....but not the smartest businessman.

9 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Nothing happened to Antonio Buelher’s uniformed assailant when he lied on his police report . That was under Art Acevedo’s watch, and the DA & local judges did nothing.

And the thing is, if they are willing to lie on their reports, that means they are A) comfortable with lying, and B) would lie to their superiors in a heartbeat.

One gets the impression that a lot of these cops would not be able to handle working in the civilian or military worlds, where accountability can run quite high,

On 9/23/2020 at 3:34 PM, DigglerontheHoof said:

Color me shocked.  More cops get away w/ murder.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I don't give a rat's ass when a cop gets killed.  He/she likely deserved it. 

Eye for an eye. They want it that way. So let it be that way. 

• Fuck You 1

I just don't get this to be honest. I absolutely would excuse the cops for shooting the man who fired his shot.

I think the cops put themselves and citizens in a bad situation. I would never expect somebody to hear cops announce themselves at midnight, when they are most likely in bed sleeping or watching tv loudly in bed.

I just can't fathom excusing the murder of an innocent bystander, who had no gun and never fired a shot.

Are we absolving police of any responsibility for the safety of innocent citizens whenever police get shot at? If a bank robber stands next to an innocent person and fires a shot.  Is it now acceptable if that innocent person is killed by police? What about a hostage? A child? If Breonna was a 4 yr old child, would that be acceptable?

I just don't get this to be honest. I absolutely would excuse the cops for shooting the man who fired his shot.

I think the cops put themselves and citizens in a bad situation. I would never expect somebody to hear cops announce themselves at midnight, when they are most likely in bed sleeping or watching tv loudly in bed.
I just can't fathom excusing the murder of an innocent bystander, who had no gun and never fired a shot.
Are we absolving police of any responsibility for the safety of innocent citizens whenever police get shot at? If a bank robber stands next to an innocent person and fires a shot.  Is it now acceptable if that innocent person is killed by police? What about a hostage? A child? If Breonna was a 4 yr old child, would that be acceptable?

Do you want the answer? Yes, it is all acceptable. We long ago decided that it is, so it is.

The question going forward is whether we’ll change our mind, and change the law and the system of accountability to match.

Don’t hold your breath.

15 minutes ago, pacman said:

Yes. The police would get away with it. Up to and including flashbanging a baby in a crib during a *checks notes" no knock drug raid, resulting in a 19month old in a medically induced coma and a family getting crushed by the american healthcare system.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-georgia-deputy-acquitted-after-flash-bang-grenade-hurts-toddler-n479361

Edited by Captainant

26 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Better than a molotov. I have quite a few of those (flares, not Molotovs) in my jeep. In part of Europe it is mandatory to have flares in your car. 

Let me know when they are throwing them at civilians. Then I might worry. For now we live in a nation where our police officers can do things which go against what we preach abroad. We decertify countries over shit like the Taylor case. Time we clean up our own act. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
Had to clarify. Don't want to piss off certain elements.

Yes. The police would get away with it. Up to and including flashbanging a baby in a crib during a *checks notes" no knock drug raid, resulting in a 19month old in a medically induced coma and a family getting crushed by the american healthcare system.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-georgia-deputy-acquitted-after-flash-bang-grenade-hurts-toddler-n479361

Or a grandmother here in Atlanta

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Kathryn_Johnston

2 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

I hope you 2 dipshits are making a crude joke. If not, karmas a bitch.
Shell come around eventually

Justice is currently ignoring an entire segment of our society. I won't begrudge them taking justice into their own hands. One side started this, we'll see if the other side finishes it. And yes, karma will be coming for every pig that attempted to and did murder Breonna Taylor. Glad we can agree on that. Same for the murderer of Tamir Rice. Sadly, the list goes on and on.

• Like 1

For much of my life, I would wonder how ordinary Germans participated in the Holocaust.  I wondered how ordinary Christian Americans could participate in the slave-trade.  I could not picture anyone I knew, had they lived in a different time and place, participating in those horrors against humanity.  Everyone I knew, and everything I knew about them, they were simply beyond that type of tacit involvement in those awful atrocities.  But how could we know for sure?  If we were put in those places, in those eras, how could we know for sure?  Maybe we wouldn't have hidden Jews in our attics or helped run the Underground Railroad, but surely we could count ourselves as those who at leasts didn't actively participate in the inhumane evil of genocide or slavery...right?  

There just was never a way to know though, no time machine...no magic polygraph machine to see whose heart and soul lie where on the spectrum.  We all just take each other at our word...that none of us would have partaken in those crimes against history.  There was just never a way to determine who walked among us; who would have happily taken up efforts against their fellow man in the name of what they felt was justified and patriotic.  

But now we see them.  No matter the era or historical station, they've been living among us the whole time.  Even here...in 21st Century America.  Millions of people who would have happily clamored to help load the trains.  They just express themselves differently for there are no more trains to load.  

Any idea what this is about?  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nkhxCZkJb7_9wgJuYXBn3acxcC7tOebx/view   Grand juror asking for grand jury evidence to be made public.  I didn't even know you could ask for that.  My best guess is the juror realized after serving on the jury that the prosecutors misled them/held back evidence.

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

Any idea what this is about?  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nkhxCZkJb7_9wgJuYXBn3acxcC7tOebx/view   Grand juror asking for grand jury evidence to be made public.  I didn't even know you could ask for that.  My best guess is the juror realized after serving on the jury that the prosecutors misled them/held back evidence.

NBC picked up the story, seems like a grand juror is actually calling bullshit

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/grand-jury-member-says-kentucky-ag-used-jurors-shield-seeks-n1241294

A member of the grand jury in the Breonna Taylor case filed a motion in Louisville, Kentucky, on Monday to have the sealed grand jury transcripts and records released "so that the truth may prevail."

The motion, filed in Jefferson County five days after the jury’s decision was announced, also asks that the jurors be allowed to speak on the case as a matter of public interest, according to the petition.

In the petition, an attorney on behalf of the anonymous juror notes that Kentucky Attorney General David Cameron made public statements that “attempted to make it very clear that the grand jury alone made the decision.”

“The citizens of this Commonwealth have demonstrated their lack of faith in the process and proceedings in this matter and the justice system itself,” the filing said. “Using the grand jurors as a shield to deflect accountability and responsibility for these decisions only sows more seeds of doubt in the process while leaving a cold chill down the spines of future grand jurors.”

10 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

what could that possibly mean?  the GJ wanted to indict and the DA said no?

It means that he withheld material information from the GJ in order to lead them to the decision not to indict.  If you keep from the GJ material evidence that would establish that there's probably cause a crime was committed, then you are manipulating the facts to get a no-bill.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Small update: the AG's office will release recordings of the GJ deliberations.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A juror in the Breonna Taylor case contends that the Kentucky attorney general misrepresented the grand jury’s deliberations and failed to offer the panel the option of indicting the two officers who fatally shot the young woman, according to the juror’s lawyer.

The unnamed juror filed a court motion on Monday seeking the release of last week’s transcripts and permission from a judge to speak publicly to set the record straight. Hours later, the office of Attorney General Daniel Cameron granted both requests, saying that the juror is free to speak and that recordings of the session will be made public.