Jump to content
Vito Andolini

South Padre Condo Fire

Recommended Posts

https://www.click2houston.com/news/texas/2020/05/16/this-is-absolutely-horrific-large-fire-reported-on-south-padre-island/?outputType=amp&fbclid=IwAR20f1BEqMPhI4rSGlrMCMbumybnHxc6aAhhxI3G1rs3DAEIt2DrqFQuO3Y
 

Flames are ripping through a condominium complex on South Padre Island Saturday morning.

Firefighters are working to contain the fire that broke out at Gulf Point Condominiums, near the Sapphire building, the Brownsville Herald reports.

Tommy J. Saenz streamed his view of the fire live on Facebook around 8 a.m. Saenz described the fire as “absolutely horrific,” noting that the strong wind made it difficult to extinguish the flames.

“This is not the way to wake up on a Saturday morning,” Saenz said in the video. “I feel really bad about this, guys.”

In the video, Saenz said the fire broke out after several thunderstorms moved through the area.

Ben Hill, who witnessed the fire from a nearby condo, also streamed the fire. His video shows the building engulfed in flame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vito Andolini said:

Benny Hill’s Facebook video (his work isn’t as good as it used to be):

 

It's because the video doesn't have Yakety Sax playing on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hate said:

It's because the video doesn't have Yakety Sax playing on it. 

Oh, I had it lined up and ready

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Insurance fire 

That was my first thought. If not, there are probably still a lot of very relieved former condo owners. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

That was my first thought. If not, there are probably still a lot of very relieved former condo owners. 

Depends on if the master policy for the HOA is adequate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Benny Hill’s Facebook video (his work isn’t as good as it used to be):

 

That was a slick move, locking his wife's cat out on the balcony to die of smoke inhalation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, conVINCEd said:

Depends on if the master policy for the HOA is adequate.

 

I was wondering about this myself since I am no insurance expert at all

is there potential for liability to the individual owners related to the owners of unrelated property like the high rise condos with videos from them of the fire and the camera people saying they have soot and smoke in their places....generally I think THEIR (the unrelated) owners policy would cover that damage...I would think the HOA would have blanket coverage, but if inadequate does that pass to the individual owners?.....is there any of that liability at all to the HOA even

if the majority of the condo owners decide to rebuild any owner that was hoping to get out of this would still be on the hook to have their individual insurance rebuild and then their mortgage would keep going I think....so they would not get out of owning the condo they would just have a new condo to try and sell and perhaps a year of no mortgage payments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

 

I was wondering about this myself since I am no insurance expert at all

is there potential for liability to the individual owners related to the owners of unrelated property like the high rise condos with videos from them of the fire and the camera people saying they have soot and smoke in their places....generally I think THEIR (the unrelated) owners policy would cover that damage...I would think the HOA would have blanket coverage, but if inadequate does that pass to the individual owners?.....is there any of that liability at all to the HOA even

if the majority of the condo owners decide to rebuild any owner that was hoping to get out of this would still be on the hook to have their individual insurance rebuild and then their mortgage would keep going I think....so they would not get out of owning the condo they would just have a new condo to try and sell and perhaps a year of no mortgage payments

I’ve never seen a total loss on a condominium complex (actually I have, Centennial in west campus, but I wasn’t doing insurance then).  It has the potential to get messy.  If the HOA’s insurance is inadequate, or the individual unit owners insurance is inadequate, you have the potential for a large out of pocket expense for the owner, and they might not have complete say so as to whether or not they have to incur that expense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, conVINCEd said:

I’ve never seen a total loss on a condominium complex (actually I have, Centennial in west campus, but I wasn’t doing insurance then).  It has the potential to get messy.  If the HOA’s insurance is inadequate, or the individual unit owners insurance is inadequate, you have the potential for a large out of pocket expense for the owner, and they might not have complete say so as to whether or not they have to incur that expense.  

 

thanks for the answer is there HOA or individual or both liability for damage to other unrelated places because of smoke, soot or flames?.....or does that go to the policy of the owners of those other places

and I would be scared to death if I was an owner that the HOA policy would not cover the cost of new "common areas" or elevators and pools ect

you need a damn good agent when you get into a condo purchase or other "common ownership" type properties to make sure you are not fucked by the lack of others proper coverage

unrelated to insurance I am sure the SPI FD is staffed with a lot of good people that do the best they can, but hearing the comments in one video it sounds like the SPI FD would not be well prepared for a fire at one of those high rise units hopefully they are all built with a lot of safety already in them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

I was at this fire when it started. It went up very fast.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Centennial in west campus, but I wasn’t doing insurance then

I was shitplowed drunk in the Hole In The Wall checking out The Gourds when that tinderbox went up...was fucking freezing and the place was suddenly packed full of crying future Karens....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

 

thanks for the answer is there HOA or individual or both liability for damage to other unrelated places because of smoke, soot or flames?.....or does that go to the policy of the owners of those other places

and I would be scared to death if I was an owner that the HOA policy would not cover the cost of new "common areas" or elevators and pools ect

you need a damn good agent when you get into a condo purchase or other "common ownership" type properties to make sure you are not fucked by the lack of others proper coverage

unrelated to insurance I am sure the SPI FD is staffed with a lot of good people that do the best they can, but hearing the comments in one video it sounds like the SPI FD would not be well prepared for a fire at one of those high rise units hopefully they are all built with a lot of safety already in them

The policies held by the homeowners and the HOA provide liability coverage for basically anything that anyone could sue them for.  I’ve had my share of fires, but I’ve never heard of a neighbor making a claim for smoke or soot.  Perhaps if the claim is small enough claims will just pay to make it go away and I never hear about it.   If the place next door catches on fire, that’s on their insurance absent extraordinary circumstances.  
 

Condos are a weird animal when it comes to insurance.  I don’t deal with many of them, but when I do, I generally over-insure them.  it’s not that much more money to be overly safe.  I’ve had people who have lived in the same condo for years have extreme difficulty in obtaining a copy of their HOA’s master policy.  Without that, you’re flying blind, so I err on the side of caution.  If I were to ever purchase a condo I would do everything in my power to serve on the board of the HOA, just so I would know what the fuck is going on.  

The nuts and bolts of condo insurance is this:  your individual policy covers the sheetrock in, and the HOA master policy covers the sheetrock out.  If it burns down and you rebuild, the HOA policy provides the structure and all common areas, and your policy provides for the finish out.  If the HOA is underinsured, you will either end up with a substandard rebuild or a special assessment (and in the event of a total loss, you’re probably gonna have a special assessment anyway, because the HOA probably went with a crazy high deductible to save a little on their premium).  A good unit-owners policy will provide some coverage for special assessments, but if the HOA is a clusterfuck it may not be enough.  If you are underinsured, you can either come out of pocket for the finish out, or have a condo with IKEA cabinets when everyone else has high-end custom shit.  Good luck with resale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember watching Centennial burn, think I was a Jr living off Leon St and strolled over with a sixer.

 

CSB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

I remember watching Centennial burn, think I was a Jr living off Leon St and strolled over with a sixer.

 

CSB

When was that?  Was Centennial the one fronting 24th behind the Theta house or the one on Pearl across from the SIg Ep house?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

When was that?  Was Centennial the one fronting 24th behind the Theta house or the one on Pearl across from the SIg Ep house?

Around ‘97ish.  Across the street from Jack in the Box.

Edited by conVINCEd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thinking it was either fall of 95 or 96.  Maybe even December because I definitely remember I had studying to do (but can't remember if for a test or finals) but like any good male I chose to peel off of that to drink beer and watch fire.

And conVINCEd nailed the location

Edited by Surly Bevo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Thinking it was either fall of 95 or 96.  Maybe even December because I definitely remember I had studying to do (but can't remember if for a test or finals) but like any good male I chose to peel off of that to drink beer and watch fire.

And conVINCEd nailed the location

Jack in the Box on Guadalupe?

Furk.  I can visualize the sign (I seen it in my head), but am having total brain cramps as to location, or C-named condoplexes.  As in just north of Orangetree?

What were the names of the places I referenced on 24th and on Pearl?

Edited by TwiceHorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was at this fire when it started. It went up very fast.
HoustonHorn doxxed herself

disaster-girl.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Jack in the Box on Guadalupe?

Furk.  I can visualize the sign (I seen it in my head), but am having total brain cramps as to location, or C-named condoplexes.  As in just north of Orangetree?

What were the names of the places I referenced on 24th and on Pearl?

It was on 26th.  One block west of the drag. Across the street from jack in the box, caddy corner from 7-11.  The places you are thinking of are St. Thomas and St. Croix, don’t remember which was which.  Apparently the builder was fond of the Virgin Islands.   I may have had a real estate license in college for the purpose of making some cash for renting apartments to my friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Jack in the Box on Guadalupe?

Furk.  I can visualize the sign (I seen it in my head), but am having total brain cramps as to location, or C-named condoplexes.  As in just north of Orangetree?

What were the names of the places I referenced on 24th and on Pearl?

Yeah around San Antonio and 26th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bevo said:

Yeah around San Antonio and 26th

That’s correct. 501 W. 26th St. 

Behind the hole in the wall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

It was on 26th.  One block west of the drag. Across the street from jack in the box, caddy corner from 7-11.  The places you are thinking of are St. Thomas and St. Croix, don’t remember which was which.  Apparently the builder was fond of the Virgin Islands.   I may have had a real estate license in college for the purpose of making some cash for renting apartments to my friends.

I believe St. Croix was the one on 24th.  A homeless-type lady, not really a dragworm, croaked in the parking lot about 1986.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve never seen a total loss on a condominium complex (actually I have, Centennial in west campus, but I wasn’t doing insurance then).  It has the potential to get messy.  If the HOA’s insurance is inadequate, or the individual unit owners insurance is inadequate, you have the potential for a large out of pocket expense for the owner, and they might not have complete say so as to whether or not they have to incur that expense.  

 

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

I remember watching Centennial burn, think I was a Jr living off Leon St and strolled over with a sixer.

 

CSB

 

1 hour ago, Foggy Notion said:

I was living in west campus when it happened, but couldn’t remember when so I looked it up. It was December 14, 1996. A week after the Big 12 championship win over Nebraska.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/1997-01-24/527261/

I lived in Rio Nueces on the ground floor cattycorner to centennial was at a party that night and was being driven back home by a friend. all the main roads to 26th & nueces were closed by the cops had to take like 8 different backways to get back to my apt. 

got out my folding chairs  and a sixer and watched that fucker burn until the sun came up. That fucker was fully engulfed for hours  The fire department totally gave up and was spraying the roofs and grass of the adjacent buildings and apartments to keep the fire from spreading.   

Edited by AUS-97HORN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Don't got talking to any sistas with questions

 

I know people that know the guy in that video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...