Crazy stuff you've seen at concerts

Equinox

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

At a Pink Floyd concert in '87 the guy sitting next me asked me to put out the joint my friends and I were smoking. I just laughed at him. "You're at a Pink Floyd show. I defy you to find another seat in the stadium where the person next to you isn't smoking pot." We kept right on toking.

Haha reminds me of once at Rush show in 79 at municipal auditorium in Austin. Friend and I went up to the balcony and found only 1 seat on the aisle. I sat there and my buddy sat on the stair and pulled out his bong.  I was holding the lighter and saw a cop coming down the stairs to us. I quickly turned to the front and hid the lighter.  My friend's like wtf and then the cop taps him on the shoulder. he turns & looks in horror but luckily the cop just said he couldn't sit on the steps, didn't give a crap about the dope

another show at municipal auditorium, they was a chick sitting on a dude's shoulders blocking our view. somehow somebody had an apple, I don't know why, and I grabbed it, chunked it and hit her on the head.  She stayed of his shoulders after that.

Sorry everyone I think of reminds me of another and I went to tons of metal shows. Last one, show at the Austin Opry House and they decided to have a comedian that told lame ass drug jokes instead of an opening act. I got my friends and then the crowd chanting you suck! and he was trying to play it off like we didn't mean it or something. and crowd chanted "fuck you" and "get off the stage" and other shit like that.  Always being an instigator, I crushed my beer can gave it to my friend and said, "hit him".  He did and after that the crowd broke loose and everyone started flinging shit at him and he finally left the stage.   addendum: a few years later my friend was telling the story to his friend at work and it turned out the comedian was the guy's best friend.  He never talked to my friend again hahaha

ok I'll stop, promise

• Like 1

Saw Ed Hall and Crust back at one of the first SXSWs. Ed Hall dressed up like lumberjacks, threw oranges all over the place, and began a small campfire on the stage at the old Liberty Lunch, all while a bunch of videos of old surgeries were playing behind them. Crust topped them at some tiny defunct club downtown when the singer began banging two pieces of wood together, tore off his clothes (wearing only a diaper), and pulled out gummy worms from his crotch. He threw them around the crowd and then tore off his diaper, revealing duct tape up his ass crack and a long piece of cellophane from his dong. Good show. Austin really was weird back then.

Jane's Addiction at the Backroom, when Perry Farrell and Dave Navarro kept pleading people for drugs between songs.

Slayer in 1991 when some dude emerged from the pit during At Dawn They Sleep with 666 carved in his forehead and blood streaming from his mouth. What Zlavydra above says Slayer is exactly right -- that was a different era of mosh pits. 

My favorite was seeing Anthrax just a few years ago. Some guy in a wheelchair was up near the front of the stage, just 2-3 people removed from the pit. His buddy was holding him there and making sure things didn't get out of hand, which was cool. They were both enjoying the show and the energy. Until some dumbass gets on stage and launches himself headfirst into the wheelchair. Just piledrove the poor guy in the chair. Scott Ian just looked up and screamed "What the fuck?!?" into his microphone. His buddy wheeled him out of there. It didn't look good.

21 minutes ago, Don Keibals said:

Show at the Coliseum in Austin in the 80s. for some stupid reason cops tied to maintain a space between stage and general admission crowd (no chairs) with the large crowd everyone kept getting pushed forward.  Chick got pushed by cop got pissed and kicked him in the nuts. all the cops started spraying mace into the crowd. lots of people starting running but my friend and I yanked off our shirts to cover our faces, bent down and started going forward and got right up against the stage.  Shirt had mace and got burned on the face some but wasn't too bad.

At another show there, I was at the front against wooden barricade built to allow security to stand behind it.  Started hearing pops, then saw two security guys look at each other in terror an they ran back under the stage.  All the supporting 2x4 broke and the barrer fell inwards.  People were panicking and getting pulled up on stage to "save" them.  We were too fucked up to realize if there was any danger or not. plus didn't want to lose our places.

several other times would get push around by the huge crowds all pressed together and could lift my feet up and move around with the crowd movement wouldn't fall or anything

Saw L7 open for the Beastie Boys at the Coliseum. One of the women pulled out a tampon and threw it into the crowd.

• Like 1

Compare these stories to today's concerts:

"I took my son to see Metallica. We paid $50 + $20 in service fees per ticket -- killer deal! Totally worth the convenience fees though, because I bought them online and didn't have to interact with anyone, so those fees were totally justified. Money well spent. Then we got to our assigned seats. I couldn't believe that everything was so totally orderly, clean, and well organized. It was like total chaos, except for the lack of any chaos whatsoever. Epic! Of course there was this one rebel who was vaping -- and another guy even yelled the f word. Rock and roll!! Only at a metal show do you see crazy s@*t like that! Metallica came on right on time and the video screens were intense! We could almost see them walking around the stage with our own eyes. About halfway through lightning rolled in so the show was temporarily halted while everyone was relocated safely to the covered concourses -- totally insane! When they came back out, Ride the Lightning was the perfect song, but they couldn't alter the choreographed lights and video so they played Unforgiven as planned. At one point James Hetfield told us that we were the best city on the tour and that our crowd was full of crazy motherfuckers!! Wait, my bad. He didn't actually curse. Which was cool because there were a lot of younger kids there, and people might have complained about the bad language. Little pitchers! Rock and roll! Anyway, they said they were ready to rock all night long, which totally got the crowd fired up. But due to noise restrictions in the neighborhood they had to cut it a couple songs short and head into the two song encore to end promptly at 11:00. Then on the light rail ride home, one dude was totally drunk. Man, it's crazy what happens at metal shows!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Widespread Panic - Halloween show  - UNO Lakefront Arena - 1990-something. Group in the row behind us had done some pretty heavy "tailgating" pre show. Dude on the end of the row plopped down in his chair right at the start of Galactic's set and didn't move - thought he was dead or something. About midway through Panic's set, the dude is resurrected, turns around and faces his chair, drops trou, and proceeds to piss all over the chair, turns around, plops back down in the chair and doesn't move the rest of the show. Not sure how far down the Yellow River trickled, but it was funny to see the crowd part like the Red Sea as the warm yellow river trickled down the arena rows. 

Pink Floyd. Arrowhead Stadium, KC. 1994. We were seated below the pressbox and a commotion from above us caused everyone to turn and look above us. There was a large black guy the size and shape of Derrick Thomas dog-stylin a blonde. He waved to us and carried on with his business. Great show and the weed cloud was unlike any I had ever seen. A guy in front of us was wearing a "Hemp for Freedom" tee shirt and handing out joints like a pez dispenser.

On 4/18/2018 at 11:26 AM, yoshi said:

Craziest thing I've seen was guys getting way too handsy (basically sexually assaulting) girls back when crowd surfing was a big thing in the 90's.  There were some straight up predators at some of the shows I went to back then.

Yep remember seeing this all the time.

I do remember one time when some jagoff was literally pulling at some girl's shirt trying to rip it off.  Even the other jagoffs thought he had gone too far and promptly began punching him in the head to make him stop.

And if we want to further this CSB even more, I remember when I saw Foo Fighters at Cain's Ballroom in like '96 Dave Grohl saying that if he saw anyone fighting in the mosh pit or if he saw anyone groping girls who were crowd surfing that he would end the show right then and there. 

I always remember that because it was the first time I'd ever heard a singer sort of address mosh pit/crowd surfing like that.  I remember that whole show had the most polite mosh pit I'd ever been in, lol.

On 4/19/2018 at 4:19 PM, wreckatx said:

At Rockfest at the Texas Motor Speedway in 1997 saw some white trash fellas (one wearing only super short corduroy shorts with how nuts hanging out) cutting up strips of acid right in front of their old lady's early elementary age kids.  Later on saw same corduroy shorts guy trying to climb the trackside of the safety fence from the infield to the stands.  Must have been 20 feet in the air.  

I spent 6 hours trying to drive to that show from Irving.  121 was shut the fuck down with traffic.  Getting out was just as bad.  What a shitshow.

1989 Cotton Bowl - Rolling Stones.  I'd worked my ass off mowing laws and saved up the cashish ($28.50!!!) to see the Stones from the floor.  During the opener (Living Color) I was discussing the show with the fella next to me (he was probably in his 40s, I was in my teens) who'd seen the show last night and talked about how awesome it was.  I was so hyped.  When the Stones finally came on, I looked over and that sombitch passed the fuck out.  He paid a fortune (as I saw it) to sleep in the Cotton Bowl while the Stones played.

Late 90s, on the last show of the Being There Tour, Wilco at Liberty Lunch.  Late in the show, someone chucked a water bottle at Jeff Tweedy.  He stopped right in mid song and the whole place was booing the water chucker.  Jeff was like, "Chill everyone.  C'mon up here boss."  Got the guy up on stage and he's thinking he's a king now, grinning from ear to ear.  They plop a guitar around his neck and say, "you're going to play our next song with us!" He looks like the cat who ate the canary.  They get 8 bars into the next song and immediately quit in unison, and walk right the fuck off stage, leaving this asshole there with a guitar around his neck.  People were spitting at him, and throwing shit and cussing.  They let it go on for probably 30 seconds.  Right to the point of riot.  Then they came back out, Tweedy said "Never ever do that again."  They played the rest of a kick ass show.

Early 2000s, Billy Bobs - David Allen Coe.  I was so excited for this show.  I told my dad I bought tickets, and he gave me the side eye and said, "really?"  That was it.  Then that night, David Allen Coe came out, sat on a stool, and mumbled incomprehensibly into the mic for about half an hour, before he was carried off stage by two roadies.  The magnificent David Allen Coe everyone!  I called my Dad on the way back home and he said, "Yup.  Same as when we saw him in 70-whatever."  

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yep remember seeing this all the time.

I always remember that because it was the first time I'd ever heard a singer sort of address mosh pit/crowd surfing like that.  I remember that whole show had the most polite mosh pit I'd ever been in, lol.

I remember Zack from RATM yelling at the crowd in the Honolulu Blaisdell Arena "Anyone who wants to molest a women at our show can get the fuck out!" Which at the time was a big stand to make.

25 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

I remember Zack from RATM yelling at the crowd in the Honolulu Blaisdell Arena "Anyone who wants to molest a women at our show can get the fuck out!" Which at the time was a big stand to make.

At this time there was also a comic in the Daily Texan called "Sexually Repressed Girl" and I remembered how weird it was in one strip she went to a show specifically to get groped.  I can't  imagine a strip like that running today.

August 23 1994 (I googled it and this is the date I found) - Richmond, VA.  Bad Company opened for Fleetwood Mac.  I think it was Classic Amphitheatre.  It was outside somewhere.  All I know is we drove and drove and then finally got there.

Here's the highlights -

Admission was $20 per vehicle.  Period.  We had 12 people, a keg of budweiser, and a bunch of weed packed into a chevy pickup truck.  I'm only in contact with one of those people, but I'd venture to guess that every single one of them ended up going to rehab or AA at some point.

According to the internet it shows Bad Company opened for Fleetwood mac, which sorta gibes with my memory, cause I remember the first half of the Bad company set and the last half of the Fleetwood Mac set.  It was one of those "cell phone flop out" drunk/high days to say the least.  From what I've been able to piece together from the Internet, Fleetwood Mac was Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Dave Mason, Bekka Bramlett, Billy Burnette, and Steve Thoma.  So no Lindsey, Christine, or Stevie.  From what I've read I heard a few Traffic songs as well as they dipped in to Dave Mason's songs.

Pretty sure Bad Company was without Paul Rodgers as well.

I wish I could remember why it was $20 per vehicle, maybe because the bands were going through transition and they couldn't sell tickets??

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Early 2000s, Billy Bobs - David Allen Coe.  I was so excited for this show.  I told my dad I bought tickets, and he gave me the side eye and said, "really?"  That was it.  Then that night, David Allen Coe came out, sat on a stool, and mumbled incomprehensibly into the mic for about half an hour, before he was carried off stage by two roadies.  The magnificent David Allen Coe everyone!  I called my Dad on the way back home and he said, "Yup.  Same as when we saw him in 70-whatever."  

Many moons ago, I heard from a couple of concert promoters who had similar stories about DAC.  He was real good at taking promoters' money.  He was real bad at delivering a show.  In sort, if you imagine that DAC is something of a raging asshole, you'd be right.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Many moons ago, I heard from a couple of concert promoters who had similar stories about DAC.  He was real good at taking promoters' money.  He was real bad at delivering a show.  In sort, if you imagine that DAC is something of a raging asshole, you'd be right.

Funny, but since that show, I know I've heard of DAC skipping out on shows around town because of not enough green M&Ms or some other similar contrived notion.  

The one thing I'm sure of is I've never met anyone who said they went to a DAC show that kicked ass.

Jimmy Page on the Outrider Tour, 1988. He was still obviously doing heroin. He finished a song, turned away from the crowd, and did this full-body retch. A long thing of saliva made it down to his waist, and he sucked it back in, turned back to the crowd and gave an arms up gesture. The crowd just sort of slow clapped him.

14 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I spent 6 hours trying to drive to that show from Irving.  121 was shut the fuck down with traffic.  Getting out was just as bad.  What a shitshow.

This concert was a horrible experience all the way around. Thank god I was 19 and didn’t know any better.

18 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I had lots of friends drive down for that show.  I was *this close* to going.  So glad I didn't after hearing all of the horror stories of the cluster fuck traffic getting in and out.

Wow, y'all are a bit older than I thought....

Grateful Dead, sometimes in the 70's @ Kesar Stadium in San Francisco. Kesar is an old concrete bowl of a football stadium where the 49's played in the 50's and 60"s. Brother lived in rural Orange County, in a house surrounded by orange groves. My roomie was a semi-pro baseball player.

When the dead took their usual 30 minute break, we opened the two gunny sacks of oranges we had brought from the groves , and my roomie began to distribute them, with pinpoint accuracy, throwing to people all around the stadium....even to folks waving their arms at the very top of the rim. The wind swirled a bunch at Kesar, so his accuracy and delivery was something to see. Within 10 minutes or so, the oranges were gone. 

Soon, we were  the recipients of all kinds of "goodies"  passed to us by  appreciative folk - I mean a lot. Wouldn't all fit into a large baggie.

Oh... the night before the concert, we stayed in the Stanford dorm of one of my brothers high school buds. Said bud opened a bedroom door and told me that's where I'd be sleeping , and given the fact that we were drinking Mickey's big mouths and Cuervo Gold all the way from LA, I got right to it. Sometime later a beautiful blond slide into bed with me, and fun things happened. 

Edited by otisdog
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I had lots of friends drive down for that show.  I was *this close* to going.  So glad I didn't after hearing all of the horror stories of the cluster fuck traffic getting in and out.

In retrospect, it was fun.  Probably because we got lit and had a bunch of alcohol with us for the journey.  It was zero problem to hop out, grab a beer from the trunk and keep on truckin.  I wasn't driving, of course.  

But when you invite the whole Metroplex to a free show...a fuckton of people with nothing better to do are going to show up.

Back in the 90s I used to photograph King's X shows when they were in Texas. One time I wrote the label and got permission to shoot video for the first three songs. I guess the never bothered to tell the band.

So the band takes the stage and plays about four measures, then Ty Tabor points to me and nods over to the stage lackey. Next thing I know my camera is being ripped off my face from the front of the stage. I kept waving my printed email from Metal Blade stating I had permission to shoot video, as well as the photo pass. He refused to even look at me. I was pissed, but I kept my cool and just picked up my still camera and just photographed the show.

A few songs later some guy jumps up on the stage completely naked and starts humping the band. This was some shithole club on or around 6th Street, the Metro, or one of those that changed names ever couple of years. Anyway, they just laughed it off, thought it was a riot.

That just kinda got me steamed, that some naked guy can rape the band on stage and that's totally cool, but my fucking little lame video with permission from the fucking label was banned. At least they gave me back my video camera after the show.

I downed some J in the B tacos on the way back home and shrugged it off, but every once in a while it pops into mind and kinda gets me ticked.

The worst part about it was that I was so stunned by the hypocrisy of the whole thing I never took any pics of the naked guy humping the band. I just shook my head thinking "you gotta be shittin' me."

Edited by DougO

a couple piss stories:

jazz fest in nola around 2007...saw a concert on the riverboat cajun queen, which had extremely inadequate restroom facilities for a bunch of people slamming beers. when we pulled into the dock everyone made a beeline for the nearest pisser, which was an old fashioned trough. someone had thrown a bunch of paper towels in the trough and they were clogging up the drain, which meant there was about a foot of stagnant piss sitting in there. as i was washing my hands a dude came bursting through the door and a column of puke erupted out of him and into the trough...splashing stagnant piss directly back into his face. my god it was a horrendous thing to witness. 

bonnaroo 2002, there was a plywood wall at the main stage area that became the de facto pisser once the sun went down. the ground eventually got saturated and it turned into a big mud pit that people were pissing into. after the final show that night we're walking by this piss hole and there are several spun out wookies rolling around in the mud like it's a fucking kiddie pool. 

string cheese incident and tenacious d at waterloo park in 2002, this was a few months before i turned 21. me and my buddy, knowing we couldn't drink at the concert, got loaded on jim beam in my dorm room at jester and walked over to the concert. we smoked a joint during tenacious d and my buddy started struggling. he passed out on the ground for a while sitting indian style with his head in his hands. at some point he woke up and puked into his own lap and then passed out again, covered in puke. multiple people stopped to ask me if he was ok...then promptly asked if they could take a picture. these were the days before phone cameras, so if you're one of the roughly 25 folks who has a picture of my buddy passed out with puke in his lap i would very much like a copy.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stc said:

bonnaroo 2002, there was a plywood wall at the main stage area that became the de facto pisser once the sun went down. the ground eventually got saturated and it turned into a big mud pit that people were pissing into. after the final show that night we're walking by this piss hole and there are several spun out wookies rolling around in the mud like it's a fucking kiddie pool. 

This reminds me of the 2009 ACL when it just started pissing down rain, and they'd laid out "Dillo Dirt" in anticipation of just such a thing.  I was there with the future Mrs. and another lady friend who were angling to go home.  I was like, "fuck that" and bought them each a bicycle bottle filled with wine.  They were much happier and we just hung out and watched the hilarity as people started playing in the Dillo Dirt like it was a giant Slip N Slide.  I kept thinking to myself, "That's SHIT y'all.  Y'all are playing in shit."  Then I just kept drinking and watching shows.  

On 4/23/2018 at 6:20 PM, Chad Fuck said:

Funny, but since that show, I know I've heard of DAC skipping out on shows around town because of not enough green M&Ms or some other similar contrived notion.  

The one thing I'm sure of is I've never met anyone who said they went to a DAC show that kicked ass.

I guess I caught him on a rare good night.  He put on a solid show the time I saw him.

The thing I remember about that show was that the opener, some guy I had never heard of before or since, told this story about how tight he was with DAC and that he said he would come out and play a song with him.  He gets the crowd chanting David Allan!  David Allan! for about five minutes.  He never came out.

Nine Inch Nails @ Numbers in Houston around '91 or '92 - can't really recall.  I don't remember if it was the tour where Meat Beat Manifesto or Consolidated opened for NIN.  Anyway, for this particular show they made an announcement that anybody that got on stage would be kicked out and not allowed back in.  During the course of the evening several people attempted to stage dive and were promptly escorted out the side door to the patio.

Well, I thought I'd give it a shot.  So I surf up to the stage and climb up.  One of the bouncers runs over and punches me right in the side of the head.  I was so wasted that I didn't feel anything.  His eyes get wide and he throws me back into the crowd.  I'm pumped.  I was the only person that made it back into the crowd.  As I'm jumping around in the pit people look at me with concern and tell me I should go to the bathroom and look in the mirror.  I make my way in and see that I'm covered in blood from my head down to my waist.  The bouncer had split my ear open and it was gushing blood everywhere.  Have you ever taken a piece of celery and snapped it lengthwise so it was hanging by the outer layer?  Yeah, thats what my ear looked like.  So I took off my shirt and used it to wash the blood off my head and neck, threw it away, and headed back out to the pit.

Was at Texxas Jam in 1987 at the Cotton Bowl. Had been on the floor all day, and a buddy was getting tired and a little sick, so went up and sat in the stands in the shade. Aerosmith sucked (right before a rehab stint), then Boston came on. Some fucked up SOB goes wild and climbs the light and sound booth tower thats usually at about the 30 yard line, in front of the stage. The guy gets right to the top before anyone can notice him. There was a tarp lashed to the top of the tower, about 4 stories up, to provide some shade. Well this stupid fuck must think its a trampoline, starts jumping around like a 3 year old. He slides completely off probably a half dozen times, each time your heart stops as you think you are watching someone plunge to their death. Each time, however, the SOB manages to twist around and "one hand"  a scaffold bar like a gotdamn monkey and pull himself back on. Took cops/security about 30 seconds to get up there and club him silly and haul his ass down.

Other than that, just the same tits, puke, fighting, or fucking in public stories as the rest of you.

CHIEF

On 4/17/2018 at 8:11 PM, Equinox said:

The post about Ace Frehley getting shocked onstage prompted this thread.

UFO- bass player (Pete Way) fell off the stage during one of their songs. They're jamming along, then all of a sudden KARWONNNGGGG and a low rumbling feedback. Roadies helped him climb back onstage, and the show continued.

David Lee Roth- someone almost pegged him with a beer bottle. The band played the entire song while Roth went off on a rant, then showed off his kung fu skills with the mic stand.

Nazareth- see above. No kung fu mic stand twirling this time, just an unintelligible rant all the way through the song.

David Allen Coe- Three band festival in Midland with Billy Joe Shaver and Willie Nelson. This was right after the OJ Simpson trial. The beer company mispelled his name on the banner (spelled it COLE). He was livid. So instead of the whole band, Coe came out with just a fiddle and bass player. They were all dressed up in black leather longcoats and looked more like Motorhead than a country band. They played three songs, then DAC stomped off the stage. He then comes back onstage and yells GUILTY! into the microphone. Weird shit.

Nazareth played San Antonio so many times in the late 70's I lost count of how many times I saw them, as they were usually opening for someone.
The last time I saw them the lead singer had some sort of leg injury and had a cast on his lower leg to the best of my memory.  They couldn't have been more than 2 songs into the set when he and the guitarist got into an argument and all hell broke loose.  Everyone beating the hell out each other, and needless to say they did not finish their set.  If I'm not mistaken they broke up shortly after that.  All in all it was quite comical, never seen that before.

On 4/17/2018 at 8:11 PM, Equinox said:

Cheap Trick at the Boston Garden around 1980 or so. Someone tossed what appeared a tennis ball at the stage. Robin Zander got it right in the nads. He was not amused but they continued on with the show.

Ted Nugent at the same venue and timefame. A frisbee made it to the stage and Nugent kicked it back to the audience. Mind you, all the floor seats were cheap fold-up chairs and everyone was standing up on them. A couple of people made to grab the frisbee knocking down a few people around them. It ended up looking like one of those intricate falling dominoes setups. Row after row of chairs folded up as people lost their balance.

Minor compared to others but, a buddy and I saw The Smashing Pumpkins down at the Fox in 1998 or so.  We are standing in the lobby and a cop was standing about two arm lengths away. He pulls out the joint that we were going smoke (I thought outside). I said Bubba wtf and he shrugs like no worries. 

All of the following happened at a single concert, Metallica touring to back Reload. I was in the pit. 10/10, would mosh again.

• Some guys passed around a joint with some bud they'd smuggled in one of those disposable cameras. Well, it didn't get passed around very far. After one puff, they offered it, and this six-foot chick said "Yeah," took it, exhaled, then put the thing in her lips and inhaled... and inhaled... and inhaled... and handed it back to the fella. What he got back wasn't worth holding with a clip. She sucked almost the whole thing in, one breath. The look of stunned cuckoldry on the guy's face when he got it back was the best thing I saw at the show.
  • Some dumbshit puts his girl on his shoulders. In the pit, mind you. Of course, she's not an Einstein either, so she flashes the band. One hand goes up to cop a feel. Then two hands. Then four hands. Then eight. Then sixteen. Sometime around then, the girl regretted her life choices and was scrambling to get off her boyfriend's shoulders.
  • Hetfield got full-on pegged in the center of his forehead, during a song, with an empty beer cup. Stopped the song. Got mad. Chewed out the audience. Went back to performing.
  • The usual near-knife-fight in the mosh pit (they were cool bros after), Newsted dumping beer all over Ulrich and his drums during the last few songs (it was the last stop on the tour, so they were bashin shit), all in all, a grand time.

Outside of that, I usually go to see guys like Rush and Weird Al, I reckon there are fewer felons per capita at those shows.

Edited by Rimbo

Actually, also fun was when some dickhead booked Social Distortion for the UCSD Sun God festival. This was late 1990s, right? You'd have to book Chris Rock at a Klan rally to make a worse mismatch of performer to audience. (With the exception of me. It was the only band I liked.)

Some asshole threw a Birkenstock on-stage. Mike Ness was absolutely disgusted.

Later on: "All right, who wants to hear a happy song?"

Crowd cheers

"WE DON'T PLAY ANY! Here's a song I wrote when I was in jail..."

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2018 at 2:20 AM, Rimbo said:

Actually, also fun was when some dickhead booked Social Distortion for the UCSD Sun God festival. This was late 1990s, right? You'd have to book Chris Rock at a Klan rally to make a worse mismatch of performer to audience. (With the exception of me. It was the only band I liked.)

Some asshole threw a Birkenstock on-stage. Mike Ness was absolutely disgusted.

Later on: "All right, who wants to hear a happy song?"

Crowd cheers

"WE DON'T PLAY ANY! Here's a song I wrote when I was in jail..."

Wasn’t there a live Janes Addiction album where Perry chastises someone for throwing a Birkenstock?

On 4/19/2018 at 4:19 PM, wreckatx said:

At Rockfest at the Texas Motor Speedway in 1997 saw some white trash fellas (one wearing only super short corduroy shorts with how nuts hanging out) cutting up strips of acid right in front of their old lady's early elementary age kids.  Later on saw same corduroy shorts guy trying to climb the trackside of the safety fence from the infield to the stands.  Must have been 20 feet in the air.  

I remember Rock Fest, My brothers and I went out the night before for the pre concert concert and afterwards the camp ground was fucking crazy!  cars parading around the lot with girls on cars or in pickup beds , flashing their boobs all over the place and everyone going crazy.   Craziest thing about Rock Fest itself was just the insane amount of people who were there.  we stayed up until half way through Bush's set ( they were the last band) and still it took over 3 hours to get out of the campground parking lot.

Also went to DMB at southpark meadows back in 99. buddy of mine had scored us front row tickets through the fan club.  Not 5 minutes into the show all the GA people rush into the reserved seating area and everyone had to grab their folding chairs and throw them over the barrier as people would really get hurt otherwise.. ended up closer to 10 rows back for most of the show b/c how much people were pressing to be upfront.

Edited by coolsax

13 hours ago, wreckatx said:

Wasn’t there a live Janes Addiction album where Perry chastises someone for throwing a Birkenstock?

Yes. "And this guy's a REAL moron. He threw a Birckenstock. He doesn't even know fashion!" Off of some live Ritual song, I believe, released on Kettle Whistle.

16 hours ago, DougO said:

I went to a Dream Theater show and there was an attractive female there that was a big fan. True story.

She wouldn't give me the time of day. Old familiar story.

Yeah, at the Foo show last weekend, someone was smoking some good weed and i could not pinpoint it, so I could get a drag. Later someone was smoking some skunk weed, did not try to locate that. Disappointments in life, man.

On 4/18/2018 at 1:00 PM, next2naus said:

Ann Richards on ecstasy at the Eagle's "Hell Freezes Over" concert at Texas Memorial Coliseum 1995. She was seated in the same row as my group was, somewhere in the front rows. I was out of my gourd on X, I lean forward and look down the row, and there is Ann Richards looking right back at me. Needless to say it's something I'll never forget. 

First time I read this I interpreted it as ann Richards was on X.