2020-2021 PGA Tour thread

Wally Fairway

Apparently Bryson cracked a 4 "iron" on that shot he sent far right on the 4th hole

Bryson’s busted 4-iron

Bryson DeChambeau lost the Players Championship by two shots to Justin Thomas and a busted 4-utility iron might be partly to blame.

After topping his tee shot into the penalty area on the par-4 fourth hole and taking a drop, DeChambeau’s third shot inexplicably sailed way right into the pine straw and bushes. The U.S. Open champ needed two shots to get on the green and up eventually wound up with a double bogey 6. Asked afterward what happened on the second shot, DeChambeau said, “My 4-iron cracked. I looked at the bottom of the thing. I couldn't use it all day. … It sounded really weird and just came off horrifically, and I'm like, oh, and there's a line in the bottom of the club.”

So how does an iron crack you ask? DeChambeau’s Cobra King Utility prototype is a hollow construction (as are most utility irons) designed to provide face flex similar to a driver. As such, there are times when metal fatigue will set in and fail. It is not unusual for PGA Tour players to have drivers crack and when you swing as fast as Bryson, utility irons apparently aren’t spared, either.

57 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

man,y'all really get butt hurt about Miller. lol

I actually thought he was talking about Bryson before reading the quoted text. Because fuck that douche.

But seriously, Miller sucks.

Gentleman's game my ass.

Edited by dieucla98

Matt Jones shot an opening round 61 and made it stick at the Honda Classic.  it wasn't wire to wire, but he was solid throughout.  great win for a good dude.

this tournament is very underappreciated.  not many big names seem to go to it, but that Bear Trap is a bitch.  when the win howls, that course is as tough as any.

On 3/23/2021 at 9:45 AM, 4th&Five said:

speaking of injuries...

I find things like this weird. Why is Faxon even commenting? "Brooks is a hell of a player, and I know he wants to be out here. I know he's seen the doctor, I saw the same instagram post you guys did. Here's hoping he's back as soon as possible, but that he takes the time to get fully healed."

Having left Austin 4 years ago, this tourney is an absolute joy to watch. It reminds me of just how unique central Texas golf is. All of these canyons, stone walls, cedars, muhly grass, the bump and runs, Texas wedges, etc, I had just taken for granted while I was there