Best 2-point plays?

Tex Long

What two-point plays have you seen, or just like?

I think my two all-timers were 1) Team lines up for a kick, sidelines go crazy, getting as far toward the endzone as possible, jumping up and down, yelling "NO, NO, NO!' and  waving to the kicker to get off the field. Kicker reluctantly trots toward sideline. Ball is snapped to the holder, who throws a pass... to the kicker if he's not covered, but to any other eligible player otherwise; 2) Holder or other designated back looks at the DL, walks to the Center shouting "Penalty! Penalty! That's a penalty ref!! Here, gimme the ball." The center, who is standing up, reaches down, hands the ball to the yelling back, who walks into the end zone. The first I've seen several times, from Jr Hi through college, I think LSU ran it a few years back, with that kicker who xferred here. The second I saw in a HS playoff game, probably in Odessa - took some 'splainin' before it was called good. Prolly illegal now due to trickery... or covid...

That coach at Pulaski in Little Rock probably has a slew of 'em. Whatta you got?

4 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

What two-point plays have you seen, or just like?

I think my two all-timers were 1) Team lines up for a kick, sidelines go crazy, getting as far toward the endzone as possible, jumping up and down, yelling "NO, NO, NO!' and  waving to the kicker to get off the field. Kicker reluctantly trots toward sideline. Ball is snapped to the holder, who throws a pass... to the kicker if he's not covered, but to any other eligible player otherwise; 2) Holder or other designated back looks at the DL, walks to the Center shouting "Penalty! Penalty! That's a penalty ref!! Here, gimme the ball." The center, who is standing up, reaches down, hands the ball to the yelling back, who walks into the end zone. The first I've seen several times, from Jr Hi through college, I think LSU ran it a few years back, with that kicker who xferred here. The second I saw in a HS playoff game, probably in Odessa - took some 'splainin' before it was called good. Prolly illegal now due to trickery... or covid...

That coach at Pulaski in Little Rock probably has a slew of 'em. Whatta you got?

I can't read.  need movies

On 11/21/2020 at 7:08 PM, Parliament said:

If he's moving backwards, is that illegal motion?  I dunno.

I think in general that type of play can get flagged. Didn't Cleveland try something silly like that with Manziel in one of his first games, and it got flagged for something like unsportsmanlike conduct because of the chicanery aspect of it? I may not be remembering that right, it was (giggle) a long time ago that Manziel was taking NFL snaps.

It wasn't a two-point conversion AND it failed, but I always liked the design of the play OU ran on fourth down against us in 1994, a sort of reverse action to James Allen out of the backfield. Stonie Clark made a great stop and he wasn't the only defender there, but they ran it from the four yard line and got down within inches of the goal-- it very nearly worked. 

For all the times I have to watch Carlos Francis, our punter, and PMIII get KTFO on here...  at least Whitlock was a class dude.  Always loved it that he’s the one who made that play...right in front of the student section.

and bell-ringer is funny, regardless.

2 pointers on defense are hard to do...

Edited by slorch

For all the times I have to watch Carlos Francis, our punter, and PMIII get KTFO on here...  at least Whitlock was a class dude.  Always loved it that he’s the one who made that play...right in front of the student section.
and bell-ringer is funny, regardless.
2 pointers on defense are hard to do...

I mean, it’s a Texas message board, what do you expect? When they lined up for that play, I called a safety and figured Texas would lose. Hated that I was right on both.
  • Like 1

has there ever been a defense that covers the TE dragging across the field (towards the opposite side that he lined up on) just past the LOS?   it's like fake blocking for 2 seconds make him invisible.

Why can't a D play man on the skill players in those goal line situations?  If you are guarding the TE and he fake blocks for 2 seconds, just stay with him when he heads up the field and into end zone.

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

That and it wasn't for 2 points. 

As to OP's question, the obvious answer is the ones that work. 

Surly be slippin...

Wait wut?

How much a safety get you these days?

On 11/23/2020 at 12:11 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

I think in general that type of play can get flagged. Didn't Cleveland try something silly like that with Manziel in one of his first games, and it got flagged for something like unsportsmanlike conduct because of the chicanery aspect of it? I may not be remembering that right, it was (giggle) a long time ago that Manziel was taking NFL snaps.

It wasn't a two-point conversion AND it failed, but I always liked the design of the play OU ran on fourth down against us in 1994, a sort of reverse action to James Allen out of the backfield. Stonie Clark made a great stop and he wasn't the only defender there, but they ran it from the four yard line and got down within inches of the goal-- it very nearly worked. 

It was a great call, and though Stonie made the big stop Robert Reed was the one who saved that play by staying home, stringing Allen out and then turning him back inside once he committed. You can’t see RR on the replays but he’s the sole reason Allen juked and stuttered a couple of times before cutting toward the goal line; without him there he walks into the end zone.

Dude was out on and island with a RB and did a great job. And of course, without Stonie dropping Allen in his tracks like the land thief sack of shit he was, that would have been for naught.

I was in the 1st row of the end zone in the Cotton Bowl and the shit happened right in front of me, just three rows down and a n aisle over from where I watched Bubba Jacques scoop and score to win the game 3 years earlier. A lot of shit happened at that end in the 4th quarter between 1989 and 1994 (I had my first behind the goddamn support beam experiences in both 89 and 90)....

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Jkwellborn said:

Wondered the same thing.

It's all good.  He understandably assumed it was the unnamed play at the end of the game.  Yeah, that would have been pure bullshit to post.

I like the Whitlock play, and not just because it was UT. He was  was a hard ass worker and one of those guys you can't help but root for.

Goddamn that fucking game. Tech outplayed us for more minutes than we outplayed them, but we still had a fucking golden opportunity to win that game.

We weren’t the best team in the country in 1983 when Craig Curry (who should not have been back there in a million years) muffed that punt. Nebraska would have rolled us.

We weren’t the best team in the country in 2001 when Chris Brown was running off tackle on 3rd and 15 for first downs or when Ced got hurt, or when Simms had 4 turnovers in 17 plays. Miami would have rolled us.

That fucking game is the biggest gut punch in my years as a Longhorn fan, not just because of how quick the end came and not just because we had the chance to seal it the play before.

It’s because we were the best team in college football in 2008 and we would have made Teebus cry like a bitch again after the national title game.

Goddamn that fucking game...

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Safeties were not part of the original premise, but I thought I'd not mention it and just wait and see who'd bring it up first. Figured it would be a TCEHer. That 2008 game overall was a perfect demonstration of Mack and his asshole "scares ya ta death" schtick, shoved home with the completely asinine idea of a handoff, five yards deep in the endzone, to a not fleet-of-foot 250-pound running back who was standing still. I had - and still have - no doubt that was Mack's idea. He was so scared ta death that we were behind 19-0 before we finally scored.