Formula 1 2021

wood

From what i have read, he ran out of gas.

He didn’t have enough left for a full 1L sample for post race scrutineering, but they are saying maybe the lift pump was broken so they’re going to have to dissemble some stuff to get that fuel out. They say the fuel is there they just have to access it differently.

He didn’t have enough left for a full 1L sample for post race scrutineering, but they are saying maybe the lift pump was broken so they’re going to have to dissemble some stuff to get that fuel out. They say the fuel is there they just have to access it differently.

That's what i meant, yes.

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Damn, big mistake from Alonso

Mission accomplished, though. Alpine won the race largely because of Alonso sacrificing his pursuit of Sainz to hold off Lewis. It was remarkable that Alonso kept Lewis behind for as long as he did, on older, harder tires and with a slower car. That lap after lap battle between him and Lewis was just epic, and the best thing I've seen in F1 in a long time. Anyone who doubts Alonso is back needs their eyes checked.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Stroll looked like he was trying to avoid wrecking by aiming at the grass and failed.

Yeah that was a shockingly stupid choice, even for him. Should stayed outside where he was, especially once he realized he was having trouble stopping.

13 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

i do love when a driver from a mid or bottom tier team gets on the podium or, by hook or crook, somehow wins the damn race.  reminds me of Gasly winning Italy last year.  so happy for Ocon.

and every week, us newbies learn more and more about the race strategies that play such a huge role.  that stuff doesn't come out as much on the Netflix show, which is more about personalities and drama.  today was just a great example of how the decisions made on the pit wall can dictate the results as much as the drivers' abilities.

now i'm kinda pissed i didn't start watching F1 until last year.

Yeah I'm pissed I didn't get more into it until the early 2000s. I completely missed the 90s.

Yeah I'm pissed I didn't get more into it until the early 2000s. I completely missed the 90s.

To be fair, the races weren’t really shown in the US in the 90’s, other than Monaco. You could find one here or there, but for the most part, it was hard to follow. I started as soon as COTA opened.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, 52-80 said:

going way the fuck off the track and getting exit speed to pass is apparently okay now

https://streamable.com/y88zjd

Are you talking about the first try in that clip, at T1? He immediately gave the position back and started over. After that, Max never went off in that clip. Or maybe you're referring to something else I didn't notice.

14 hours ago, kevwun said:

Him bumping tires with Schumacher wasn't even looked at by the stewards.

It happens fairly often and very rarely gets even a notation from the stewards when it's just a side-to-side touch & doesn't cause any significant damage. I don't necessarily like it, but that's how it is.

19 minutes ago, wood said:

Are you talking about the first try in that clip, at T1? He immediately gave the position back and started over. After that, Max never went off in that clip. Or maybe you're referring to something else I didn't notice.

the completed pass which was to the right of schumacher, was a direct continuation from his going off track.  if that section was grass or gravel instead of paved, the pass would have never happened. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

the completed pass which was to the right of schumacher, was a direct continuation from his going off track.  if that section was grass or gravel instead of paved, the pass would have never happened. 

No, any momentum he gained by going wide at T1 was given up when he slowed to let Schumacher back in front. He was no closer after letting him past than he was entering T1. Max got completely back behind Schumacher before trying another move. That's all that's ever required from anyone when they've gone off on an overtaking attempt.

14 hours ago, kevwun said:

Him bumping tires with Schumacher wasn't even looked at by the stewards.

Same thing happened with Alonso and Hamilton. That kind of slight contact is almost never reviewed. Also, people talking about Max’s driving and using this race as an example is pretty unrepresentative. He didn’t even have a right barge board and was dealing with all sorts of aero issues causing unpredictable losses of downforce and handling issues. 

• Hook 'Em 1

BTW, Lewis on the podium ... I thought the dude was gonna fall out right there. He was clearly in significant distress. After effects of the 'rona?

That’s what he has stated. Said he’s been dealing with health all year and the race was particularly difficult.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

It was a great display of teamwork.  Russell offering to sacrifice his race for Latifi was impressive as well.

Yup.  Several examples of effective teamwork in that race.  Fred holding off Lewis for many laps, Russel offering to sacrifice his race, and Bottas cratering himself in order to take out both RBRs and most of the rest of the competition.  

Just a lot of great teamwork all the way around!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, wood said:

BTW, re: the truly epic battle between Alonso and Lewis, my hat goes off to both drivers there, not just Alonso. What we saw from Alonso & Lewis there is what happens when two of the best ever at close, wheel-to-wheel racing go at it.

Agree, it was great.  Makes me wish all the more for Fred to be in a TRULY competitive car.  Then we wouldn't just see him racing wheel to wheel with Lewis only in situations where Merc is out of the typical order because they screwed up the strategy after yet another red flag they caused...

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Agree, it was great.  Makes me wish all the more for Fred to be in a TRULY competitive car.  Then we wouldn't just see him racing wheel to wheel with Lewis only in situations where Merc is out of the typical order because they screwed up the strategy after yet another red flag they caused...

Yep. Who knows. Maybe next year. Alpine is currently running a 2 year old PU design. Their new one was ready for the new car that we were supposed to see this year before COVID delayed it. Apparently it's a significant upgrade, and now they have an extra year to refine it and make it more reliable. 

1 hour ago, wood said:

BTW, re: the truly epic battle between Alonso and Lewis, my hat goes off to both drivers there, not just Alonso. What we saw from Alonso & Lewis there is what happens when two of the best ever close-quarters, wheel-to-wheel racers go at it. This one will be talked about for decades as a shining example of close, fair, hard racing between two titans of the sport.

Ok, boomer. We millennials and gen zers much prefer Charles and Max just punting each other off the track at the first turn they go wheel to wheel. If we’re lucky, we’ll get an unsafe re-entry to boot. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Haha 3

No, any momentum he gained by going wide at T1 was given up when he slowed to let Schumacher back in front. He was no closer after letting him past than he was entering T1. Max got completely back behind Schumacher before trying another move. That's all that's ever required from anyone when they've gone off on an overtaking attempt.

Well, most of the time! This incident in 2008 was pretty BS IMO, but yeah it was quite a long time ago. It was determined that he did not give it up “enough”, even though Kimi later crashed out. This incident actually kind of set the rule going forward, which I believe now says that you cannot try to reovertake until the next corner or straight or something.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, wood said:

BTW, Lewis on the podium ... I thought the dude was gonna fall out right there. He was clearly in significant distress. After effects of the 'rona?

The announcers said a couple things about it in passing like it was a "tough race" but yeah, he seemed ready to collapse.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

every time i saw alonso or ocon i couldn't help but notice how thiccc the area just behind the airbox is on the alpine. 

really enjoyed nico on commentary

Yeah it's thicccc. They went for a higher COG solution. They felt was worth that disadvantage versus the bigger gain in aero efficiency.

Re: Nico, he and Paul are the best imho, followed closely by Ant, who's been too seldom seen this year imho. Karun is a mess and needs to learn shorter-windedness, imho. Dude just talks and talks, then Paul, Ted, or Ant, or even Crofty correct his mistakes.

I also really enjoyed Ted being so informative on the grid vs Martin who just looks around for famous faces to chat up, mostly unsuccessfully these days. 

Edited by wood

7 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

I want to do a that one day, with part of the weekend on a boat. No idea if I’ll ever pull it off.

The costs weren't as bad I thought they might be and there's a post near the top of this thread where the poster talked about losing out on the chance to go with his dad to COTA...and that's the kind of shit I've been thinking about for several years now.  It obviously wasn't just that post that influenced me but I started talking to my dad a year or so ago when he turned 70 that if we are ever going to do these kinds of sporting events together, we need to get to them sooner than later.

We're both flying to Austin and going to COTA with his nearly 80-year old brother in October, and now the two of us are going to Monaco next May.   I'll consider myself eternally lucky if everything goes the way I hope it does.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, pops said:

Corby davidson:  are all these blue bloods pissed an American energy drink is kicking their ass?

Geezus fucking christ. 

Another reason not to listen to the Ticket. And he thinks RB is American?

2 minutes ago, pops said:

Bob is his cohost. What do you think. They don't know fuck all. 

Shit like that is why I stopped listening to sports talk radio 20+ years ago. They're 99% fucking hack shockjocks that know less than the average avid fan...just like the typical sports 'journalist' these days.

Edited by wood

9 hours ago, wood said:

Shit like that is why I stopped listening to sports talk radio 20+ years ago. They're 99% fucking hack shockjocks that know less than the average avid fan...just like the typical sports 'journalist' these days.

if you are listening to the ticket for sports talk you are doing it wrong.

that said, fuck corby.

• Hook 'Em 2