Bourbon

Jimbaround

13 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

First of all, I'd like to play poker with you. 

Second, interesting rankings. The blind tasting takes the label bias completely out of it. I would think I'd have Elmer higher, but I can't know that until I do a blind tasting. 

Yeah this was our first time blind tasting and we had too many guys bringing good bottles. 

Funny thing on my rankings,  I didn't think I liked Blantons that much in relation to the others.  It got my #1 vote. 

Agree that I thought ETL would have rated higher for me.  But the ones that edged out out weren't slouches by any means. 

1 hour ago, thestud said:

Basil Hayden is terrible. I wouldn’t even keep it on hand for the miscreants that like to mix their whiskey.

Dude, slow down.  It’s like the Mac12 of bourbon.  Pretty good, but not worth buying when you can get it at most local watering holes.  It has its place!  WHY IN THE FUCK IS IT IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND BUFFALO TRACE BOURBON!?

12 hours ago, thestud said:

I’ve got 217 bottles, 136 of which are open. And I’m probably not in the top 5 in this thread. I doubt you have too many

Damn son, you've been busy.  Last time I knew of your bottle count was around 130ish.  Now you have me by 100 fucking bottles.  

I've got 114 and 87 are open.

17 minutes ago, thestud said:

You’ve seen my shenanigans these last two months first hand you shouldn’t be surprised. Keep in mind a lot are multiples, i.e. the Blanton’s, OWA’s, OWA SP’s, and the 14 RR SiB Sp’s. I’m also counting the 11 bottles I have yet to pick up from Ray, Chris and Ernie. I think it’s safe to say I have a problem. I haven’t kept count of the total # of different whiskeys I have, but I would guess it’s around 80-ish?? Of course I told my wife I had 150-ish total bottles the other night, which is what led to the recount and discovery that I am horrible at the maths

14 different RR's?  That's impressive.
How many different BT SP's do you have?  I think I've got 7 or 8.

I keep a running excel spreadsheet of my collection including cost.  DON'T do what I did once and leave it open for my wife to glance at it.  

43 minutes ago, thestud said:

Yeah and I’ve still got a couple more coming in the next week or so. I should probably do a spreadsheet, would save time counting and shit. Maybe log the date purchased, date opened and date finished just to see what exactly it is I drink most often. I feel like I gravitate from one end of the spectrum to the next. There was a time a while back where I think I killed several Blanton’s in a couple weeks time. Now I bet I’ve finished one total since Christmas.

I’m up to 6 BT picks with one on the way. Which reminds me, I have a Pinkie’s BT SP for you that got pushed to the back of the closet and forgotten about.

Image result for pinky next friday

• Like 1

I think I figured out the source of the Dickel hate, the charcoal filtering. Ezra Brooks Barrel Strength does it too, with much better results. You can only pick up the charcoal on the very back end of the finish. It's much more up front with Dickel. I don't think it dominates the flavor profile, but you can definitely tell it's there. 

I'm not a fan, but I don't think plan on ditching the Lincoln County Process anytime soon. 

On 6/7/2019 at 8:58 AM, huge said:

yes

To elaborate I would immediately buy the RY10 and ETL at those prices in Houston and skip all the way to my car.

On 6/7/2019 at 9:20 AM, Chewbacca said:

RY10 is really good

On 6/7/2019 at 9:33 AM, Bert Orange said:

Sure is.  I actually grabbed a bottle of it (was a 2016) off the shelf in NY a couple weeks back when I was there on business.  Was the same $69.  I’d buy all I could in Houston for that value. 

On 6/7/2019 at 10:18 AM, thestud said:

What stinks is that about two months ago it went up $10 to $69. It was flush around here for $54-$59

On 6/7/2019 at 10:43 AM, Chewbacca said:
On 6/7/2019 at 10:18 AM, thestud said:
What stinks is that about two months ago it went up $10 to $69. It was flush around here for $54-$59

I've only seen it twice. Bought it both times and wish i could find it again.

On 6/7/2019 at 11:06 AM, Carl Spackler said:

I don't want to hear any bitching.  My local place, which has an amazing selection and is typically is quite competitive in pricing, priced RY10 at $99 as soon as it came out.  Bastards.   

On 6/7/2019 at 12:08 PM, Neonmoon said:

This is the correct answer. 

EHT Rye doesn’t suck either 

Y’all have inspired me to have a pour of my RY 10. Thank you for that. I’m enjoying it quite a bit.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 8:39 PM, thrillhammer said:

I haven't been too pleased with the barrel offerings, but two of their recent ones - infinite and dovetail, are outstanding.  I haven't bought either but have tried them both and probably will buy when my collection dwindles down some.  I got too many bottles at the moment.

Nobody has ever made this claim with a straight face. Like saying “how am i going to eat all this bacon?”

So I tried the Still Austin bourbon expecting it to be dog shit. It’s not. It’s actually (and I can’t believe I’m typing this about a new grain-to-glass Texas distilled and aged bourbon) not half bad.

They made a very good decision to not get cute and release it fairly young instead of aging for the sake of age. Their branding is terrible and the name of the Bourbon is stupid but otherwise extremely well executed for a new product. This is what Garrison Bros should have been.

I’ve got my eyes on these guys.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

So I tried the Still Austin bourbon expecting it to be dog shit. It’s not. It’s actually (and I can’t believe I’m typing this about a new grain-to-glass Texas distilled and aged bourbon) not half bad.

They made a very good decision to not get cute and release it fairly young instead of aging for the sake of age. Their branding is terrible and the name of the Bourbon is stupid but otherwise extremely well executed for a new product. This is what Garrison Bros should have been.

I’ve got my eyes on these guys.

I’ve tried Still Austin.  I think for a small outfit, they’ve got the right team and finances to prosper.  Some background...the owner’s family started this small juice company called Sunkist.  The consultants on the team are Larry Ebersole (former Master Distiller at MGP) and Nancy “the Nose” Fraley.  The young distiller named John knows his shit and hails from NY.  Their mashbills mimic MGP’s for obvious reasons.  For a two year old bourbon, it’s young but tastes good, just needs a few more years in wood.  I’ve purchased a barrel with the 95/5 mashbill and will be aging it an additional year.  Can’t wait until it’s got another Tx summer in it.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Picked up Still Austin’s first bourbon release at TW. It’s a high rye single barrel. Says one year old. This is probably going to suck. I will report back later tonight after tasting. 

I’d like to think I’m above drinking a one year old bourbon, but I have a fridge full of Keystone Ice. 

• Like 1

Still Bourbon 

So I had my first taste. Man it’s young. But you can tell it has good flavor. It just needs around 8 more years in the barrel. I was expecting it to be terrible, and it’s not something you could sip now, but after a few more years, they could have something if they keep following the MGP master distiller. 

For the negative. The branding is dogshit. The label is dogshit. I feel like it was created by a high schooler with clip art. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 9:20 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

First of all, I'd like to play poker with you. 

Second, interesting rankings. The blind tasting takes the label bias completely out of it. I would think I'd have Elmer higher, but I can't know that until I do a blind tasting. 

Same.  Would also have guessed ETL above ER - must now go replicated with maybe a EHT, Weller and BT thrown in to make it Buffalo Trace bake off....

I’m at the Public Services tasting. Y’all are missing out. 

Get your hot takes ready, I liked Old Van Rip Winkle the best out of the following: 

Old Rip Van Winkle 

Lot B 

Pappy 15 

William Larue Weller 

George T Stagg 

Handy

Come at me. 

I messed up. Selected Lot B instead of Old Rip Van Winkle this year. Terrible mistake. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, thestud said:

Not trying to give you shit at all, just an observation. Balcones averages 22-26 months, and Ironroot is similar with the outlier being some Harbinger picks that are aged up to 36 months. Not doubting your assessment at all, but if this stuff is as good as you say it is I wonder what they could blend up with some sourced stuff that has aged better than what is capable of aging here in Texas.

It does make me wonder about Texas bourbon. If you can’t age it longer than 5 years without the bourbon turning to shit. And IMO, you need the that 6-10 year age in a barrel to make it the smooth and have complex flavor. Is it possible to really create a great bourbon in Texas?

26 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It does make me wonder about Texas bourbon. If you can’t age it longer than 5 years without the bourbon turning to shit. And IMO, you need the that 6-10 year age in a barrel to make it the smooth and have complex flavor. Is it possible to really create a great bourbon in Texas?

It certainly begs the question, and I’d love to get an honest answer. 

My gut tells me no. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis