Bourbon

Jimbaround

Here’s some industry news that will make the rounds this morning.  Al Young, longtime brand Ambassador for Four Roses, passed on Christmas Day.  I’ve had the pleasure of dining with Al and picking barrels with him.  A great man and a great bourbon historian.  RIP Al  

^^^ Thats a shame... will have to pour out a 4R tonight

4 hours ago, Whiskyteer said:

Here’s some industry news that will make the rounds this morning.  Al Young, longtime brand Ambassador for Four Roses, passed on Christmas Day.  I’ve had the pleasure of dining with Al and picking barrels with him.  A great man and a great bourbon historian.  RIP Al 🥃  

Will crack a 4R SBS tonight and shed a Whiskytear. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Anyone have an opinion on Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection Batch Proof?  I was talked into a bottle but haven’t opened it yet.  

I remember it being pretty good, but not worth the money. I think the initial shock of seeing it on the shelf at a bad Total Wine is what propelled me to buy it. 

On 12/26/2019 at 4:19 AM, Whiskyteer said:

Here’s some industry news that will make the rounds this morning.  Al Young, longtime brand Ambassador for Four Roses, passed on Christmas Day.  I’ve had the pleasure of dining with Al and picking barrels with him.  A great man and a great bourbon historian.  RIP Al 🥃  

RIP Al. Really cool story Whisky. 

I'm sure Brent Elliott and the rest of the Four Roses crew are pretty shook up. Based on the press release, it seems Al's death was sudden and unexpected. 

Be careful, 9k feet is no joke coming from sea level. If youre good there, welcome to Colorado!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I’m from western KS and come up several times a year but that first night always hits different. I’m getting pretty wound up in short order. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I’m from western KS and come up several times a year but that first night always hits different. I’m getting pretty wound up in short order. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Met a guy from Kansas a few days ago at The Jane in Winter Park. He was commenting about how much water once needs to drink at altitude. Be like him.

35 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I have the opportunity to buy Little Book 3 for$180. Worth it?

Hard pass.  I’ll stockpile another one before they get hard to find but it’s all over Spec’s for $90 now. Just passed on a few Book 2s today at $89 a full 14 months after its release.  Just be patient and it will come to you.  With that said I did it side by side with Booker’s and a 15 year Knob pick last night and it’s clearly better so definitely pick one up at MSRP or less. 

Hard pass.  I’ll stockpile another one before they get hard to find but it’s all over Spec’s for $90 now. Just passed on a few Book 2s today at $89 a full 14 months after its release.  Just be patient and it will come to you.  With that said I did it side by side with Booker’s and a 15 year Knob pick last night and it’s clearly better so definitely pick one up at MSRP or less. 

Retail is 125 for Book 3.

39 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Cracked this open tonight. Quite hot at 136 proof but also very tasty.37123d3eca0ac10c4ce40768d2f0429f.jpg9455fb73e541131c26820a9bfbda60c2.jpg

The C918 was knock your socks off good. One of the best high proof bourbons I've ever had. 131.4 proof, but smooth as hell. 

I think consistency is Heaven Hill's problem. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof quality swings wildly. They do better in the single barrel programs. It's a great product run very poorly. The Popeye's of distilled spirits. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

Perhaps a stupid question, but if bourbon can go into the barrel at max 125 proof, how can it come out at 136? Can the proof go up during aging?

To my knowledge, they'd have to blend it to increase the proof. Most distillers cut it with water to increase yield/decrease proof.

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Perhaps a stupid question, but if bourbon can go into the barrel at max 125 proof, how can it come out at 136? Can the proof go up during aging?

The bourbon can be distilled up to max 160 proof. Then diluted with water down to 125 proof to enter the barrel. Water molecules are smaller than alcohol molecules. Therefore, they escape the barrel much easier when it’s hot, especially at the top of the rickhouse, hence concentrating the alcohol and driving the proof up. The longer the aging, the higher it can drive up the proof. From 125 up to 150. In contrast, barrels at bottom of rickhouse are cooler and moisture will enter the barrel and proof down the barrel. 

Note, it doesn’t have to enter the barrel at 125 proof. That’s just the max. Many quality bourbons enter at less, Pappy at 115 for example 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 5

The bourbon can be distilled up to max 160 proof. Then diluted with water down to 125 proof to enter the barrel. Water molecules are smaller than alcohol molecules. Therefore, they escape the barrel much easier when it’s hot, especially at the top of the rickhouse, hence concentrating the alcohol and driving the proof up. The longer the aging, the higher it can drive up the proof. From 125 up to 150. In contrast, barrels at bottom of rickhouse are cooler and moisture will enter the barrel and proof down the barrel. 

Note, it doesn’t have to enter the barrel at 125 proof. That’s just the max. Many quality bourbons enter at less, Pappy at 115 for example 

That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out response.
  • Like 2

I'm very grateful to have it because that's my "and coke" bourbon, but It's a sad state of affairs when somebody has to pull a handle of Weller Special Reserve out of the back room.
I'm not posting a pic because it's depressing. 

Had that happen to me this week.. was told they had some Weller’s in the back and that’s what came out. Still bought it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This was awesome. I took my wife to buy more. Scored two bottles of Weller Full Proof, two bottles of Antique, two bottles of Blanton’s, and two Eagle Rare 10. 

damn i forgot about it till about 9 and didn't go, wanted the full proof as my er and blantons supply is fine

I'm very grateful to have it because that's my "and coke" bourbon, but It's a sad state of affairs when somebody has to pull a handle of Weller Special Reserve out of the back room.
I'm not posting a pic because it's depressing. 

You want depressing? How about this for ya...

Went to a regular honey hole today that I hadn’t visited in months, only to see all this behind the counter and nearly lose my shit:

91b900ed86abd5312e5f2f8910a0cce3.jpg

Being of sound mind despite my excitement, I asked the lady behind the counter for a few price checks:

Weller Special Reserve: $300
GTS: $600
Sazerac: $800
WLW: $1500
Old Fitz: $400

I laughed and walked to the back, found a bottle of 1910 for $49 and took that out the door.

Such a shame to see so many bottles I’ve been searching for in a single location only to be confronted with aftermarket prices. Fuck the prospectors!
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Went to a regular honey hole today that I hadn’t visited in months, only to see all this behind the counter and nearly lose my shit:

Being of sound mind despite my excitement, I asked the lady behind the counter for a few price checks:

I laughed and walked to the back, found a bottle of 1910 for $49 and took that out the door.

Such a shame to see so many bottles I’ve been searching for in a single location only to be confronted with aftermarket prices. Fuck the prospectors!

I’ll take the WLW and 2 cans of Kodiak.

• Like 2

Why give them any business at all? Places who want to mark up like that can fuck off, and I won’t spend any money with them.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Weller Special Reserve for $300 is the craziest s*** I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Okie State said:
3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:
My friend was in line by 915 am. When we reached the Weller Full Proof they had an entire table of bottles. 

Do they do this every year?

I don’t remember them doing it last year, but I could be wrong. It seems like a drastic change from what Spec’s normally does. 

Both the Full Proof and Blanton’s are store picks so it could be a promotional thing related to that. Regardless, Buffalo Trace hooked them and sent an unusually large amount of Weller Full Proof and Blanton’s. I don’t expect I’ll ever see more bottles of both in the same place for the rest of my life. 

An entire table covered in Weller Full Proof is crazy.