The 2018 Hunting Thread

Bert Orange

And seeing if I can get a doe to put some more meat in the freezer (and share with friends).

Been a good 24 hrs. The girl got her first college acceptance (into a fantastic program). She was so happy she was in tears. The boy got his first real buck. With a 30/06 his grandpa handed down to him.

And I had BBQ for lunch.

That’s pretty, pretty good.

• Like 5

Dammit. Just got back to the house because I noticed my blind crawling with red wasps as it got lighter. The rain caused them to climb up the blind cover to the rail. After I thumped two of them away, I shined my light at my feet and noticed more climbing the frame posts. 

Edited by jofus

Dammit. Just got back to the house because I noticed my blind crawling with red wasps as is got lighter. The rain caused them to climb up the blind cover to the rail. After I thumped two of them away, I shined my light at my feet and noticed more climbing the frame posts. 

Yesterday evening’s hunt, I was hunting wasps. Killed 7, then they left me alone. Watched another nice 8 for a while. Had a doe I was ready to shoot, but a nearby shot made her bolt.

And... for the record...I do NOT recommend eating an extra helping of my friend’s spicy three pepper chorizo meatloaf for dinner before you have to get in a deer blind the next morning. Things are...troubled.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yesterday evening’s hunt, I was hunting wasps. Killed 7, then they left me alone. Watched another nice 8 for a while. Had a doe I was ready to shoot, but a nearby shot made her bolt.

And... for the record...I do NOT recommend eating an extra helping of my friend’s spicy three pepper chorizo meatloaf for dinner before you have to get in a deer blind the next morning. Things are...troubled.

I might have stayed in the blind to kill wasps, but I’m allergic and therefore have an irrational fear of them. 

Day 2 and finally connecting.ccf01e1416928de9664963aa8565ef87.jpg

Sweet! Those gadwall eat real well. I like to cook the whole breast like a steak in cast iron. Sear, then slice when medium rare.

And his shooting will only get better - congrats!

The boys got a doe at about 200 yards and a turkey at about 75. The Hornady Custom Lite Match 308 Ammo in 125gr SST was a wee bit much for the turkey 

200? Nice shot. I missed a doe cleanly last night at almost that distance. Haven’t taken a shot that far in a LONG time...and I’m finding out my old hands aren’t as steady as they once were (I’ve made shots in the 250 range).

And yeah...shot a turkey with a .300 wby mag when I was young. No bueno. I started carrying a scoped .22 with me after that.

Just got home.  Realized the boy's deer is bigger than I thought -- I keep thinking of him as a kid, and comparing the relative size.  He ain't a kid anymore -- he's 6'1".

Did an eyeball measurement of inside spread at around 18", tip-to-tip around 14".  I'm comparing that to the buck I took out there two seasons ago -- not a prize 8 or anythign, but I had to work for him....inside of 13", tip to tip of only 6" (to be fair, they do turn in a lot).

I kinda like the fact that the boy's buck kicks mine in the teeth.  I'll bring my antlers home so he can see the difference.

Grabbed some spicy chicken tenders and gravy for lunch on the road as we passed through Brady, made good time getting home, only to be greeted by this imperious SOB next door:

9dc4842f43f7e07866933f2ac3d5e1c6.jpg

a3c18b1cfc708612b848c4c7d6044d9a.jpg

57 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

While we were hunting a two man, two feeder blind this weekend, my boy (sophomore) confided in me that he just banged his (senior) girlfriend for the first time. Then he dropped a turkey with my .308.....

The rut is in full swing. Talk about a special hunting trip.

Congrats, Grandpa!

While we were hunting a two man, two feeder blind this weekend, my boy (sophomore) confided in me that he just banged his (senior) girlfriend for the first time. Then he dropped a turkey with my .308.....

The rut is in full swing. Talk about a special hunting trip.

“But Dad, the part I didn’t understand...why did she have a dick, too?”
  • Like 1

I have plans to shoot an Axis doe in Boerne this weekend. Being a neophyte, I have some questions:
Where is the best place to take her for processing (between Boerne and Houston)?
What do I get? Backstrap of course, but what else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, PW119 said:

I have plans to shoot an Axis doe in Boerne this weekend. Being a neophyte, I have some questions:
Where is the best place to take her for processing (between Boerne and Houston)?

Everything is good on an Axis.  I’m partial to Willie Joes in High Hill but Praseks and Bellville are both delicious, but costlier. 

33 minutes ago, PW119 said:

You just jinxed yourself. 

• Like 1

Had a great opening weekend down at the ranch in Victoria.  Opening morning got to take a unique buck I was chasing.  Came out at around 9:30 am to about 75 yards away.  Took a few moments to admire him.  Attempted to get organized in the stand and he high tailed it after a couple of does.   Finally stopped and presented a shot at about 150 yards.  Ran about 20 yards and dropped in the brush.   The tine ended up measuring out 12 3/8"

Buck.jpg

IMG-3255-1.jpg

Got my buddy on a large mature 8 Saturday afternoon that ended up being his biggest buck to date.  That next morning my dad tagged a 14 pt buck.  Wasn't a great buck score wise, but he was just an old buck with a bunch of points.  Still waiting on him to send over a few pictures from his phone of that one.  No hogs to shoot which was unusual but all in all an awesome weekend with great company.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 11/5/2018 at 8:09 PM, PW119 said:

I took an Axis to Bellville last year and have been very happy with it.

If you go there absolutely get some pan sausage.  It is outstanding.  Also did hamburger, summer sausage and link.  All very good to great.  The pan sausage is excellent.

Edited by huge

On November 5, 2018 at 8:09 PM, PW119 said:

If you don't mind driving back westward when it's ready, check out Granzin's in New Braunfels.  Been my go-to for the last 20+ years.  Dried smoked sausage is like crack.  

If I have enough meat, I'll usually get 20 lb dried smoked sausage (60/40 hot), 20 lb smoked link sausage (50/50 hot), 20 lb pan sausage (50/05 hot), and the rest hamburger (50/50).  Take the straps out in the field (unless you're going to cape it).  And swing by Dripping Springs on your way to give me the tenders so I can properly dispose of those for you.  

Had a great opening weekend down at the ranch in Victoria.  Opening morning got to take a unique buck I was chasing.  Came out at around 9:30 am to about 75 yards away.  Took a few moments to admire him.  Attempted to get organized in the stand and he high tailed it after a couple of does.   Finally stopped and presented a shot at about 150 yards.  Ran about 20 yards and dropped in the brush.   The tine ended up measuring out 12 3/8"
Buck.jpg

IMG-3255-1.jpg
Got my buddy on a large mature 8 Saturday afternoon that ended up being his biggest buck to date.  That next morning my dad tagged a 14 pt buck.  Wasn't a great buck score wise, but he was just an old buck with a bunch of points.  Still waiting on him to send over a few pictures from his phone of that one.  No hogs to shoot which was unusual but all in all an awesome weekend with great company.  

Black face in Victoria eh? Racist.

Got lucky enough to send a few oz's of copper downrange past weekend.  Nice cull Spike for the freezer, and a female hog....no big antlers seen.  We did see a few Axis on our place, so I'm hopeful one of them decides to wander my way.  Their meat is just excellent. 

I enjoyed rocking the open sights this weekend...what a hoot!

imgur

On 11/8/2018 at 3:30 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

If you don't mind driving back westward when it's ready, check out Granzin's in New Braunfels.  Been my go-to for the last 20+ years.  Dried smoked sausage is like crack.  

If I have enough meat, I'll usually get 20 lb dried smoked sausage (60/40 hot), 20 lb smoked link sausage (50/50 hot), 20 lb pan sausage (50/05 hot), and the rest hamburger (50/50).  Take the straps out in the field (unless you're going to cape it).  And swing by Dripping Springs on your way to give me the tenders so I can properly dispose of those for you.  

Last year I did an entire spike in nothing but dried sausage. Grab 2 links for every fishing trip, hunting trip, road trip what have you.