daunte wright shooting

TexasHooch

1 minute ago, XYZ said:

So big fat guy in Brooklyn (or Queens) ends up dead because he was selling cigarettes on the street. Daniel Shaver ends up dead because he was brandishing a toy gun in his hotel room. Floyd ends up dead because he passed a fake $20 bill to somebody. And whoever this last poor sap was, because of expired plates. I guess I wish if criminals had to die that it would be more of the bank robbery or violent assault type and less of the selling cigarettes or doing absolutely nothing wrong type.

Or maybe after being convicted by a jury of their peers.  And the cops' weapons should not be out when it's not a violent crime being committed.  Get a warrant and come back, and add resisting arrest to the charges. Don't put the suspect's and bystanders lives in danger to make an arrest for a broken windows violation.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Emphasis on exponentially. Don’t run/resist cops, immediately ask for your lawyer, don’t be heavily impaired in public. It’s like the golden trifecta of having the least issues possible.

But shooting someone instead of using a taser is also a mind numbingly terrible mistake

Drive to a well-lit area, at normal speed.....and have that called resisting.

Obey conflicting orders from a cop who blasts you with his "get fucked" rifle....you were resisting.

The sole arbiter of whether you can even make the right decision is a cop who puts the burden of proof on you, in an instant, to demonstrate whether you should live or die.  That's fucked.

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

A thought: if we only went after violent criminals and kept them where they need to be instead offenders charged with lesser crimes? I don’t have an answer for this shit. Odds are if you are on traffic detail and run a minority person’s license you are going to find they have an outstanding warrant. My problem with that is it’s petty shit. Why bother. They want you to run or fight or or protest. Unless they are a fucking murderer, let them be. Damn (also if you have a warrant for your arrest on something—damnit you are a dumbass)

Among the several problems presented in this post, whenever "we" get "tough on crime," it's usually the petty offenders that suffer the most.  And the petty offenders tend to include the poors and the browns.

The petty crimes are the low-hanging fruit and will always get sucked in whenever we attempt to do something to "reduce crime."  It's just an inevitablity.

• Hook 'Em 4

Drive to a well-lit area, at normal speed.....and have that called resisting.
Obey conflicting orders from a cop who blasts you with his "get fucked" rifle....you were resisting.
The sole arbiter of whether you can even make the right decision is a cop who puts the burden of proof on you, in an instant, to demonstrate whether you should live or die.  That's fucked.

There are going to be tens of thousands of incidents today and tomorrow and the next and the next that go perfectly. It’s just such a small number that go bad. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t appropriately deal with those (Chauvin for example) that do go bad, but it’s so far from the normal
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just not true. What they are trained to do is NOT let people walk away with warrants, especially if they resist arrest and there are multiple officers on scene. That’s like down the fairway part of their job, routine type stuff. They are also trained on the proper weapon to use, which in this case was correctly a taser. They are also trained to then actually fire the correct weapon, which was horrifically done incorrectly.

This officer should never hold a law enforcement job again, that’s an error that just can’t happen. But I don’t think she should be charged, maybe unlawful firing of a weapon or something.

If you’re going to charge her for murder on that, and continue to pay police $40-$60k, things are going to get worse not better. Applications from the smarter, better candidates are going to tank as the pay just isn’t worth the risk, both from harm and legal if you legitimately mess up.

Some sort of manslaughter. If you unlawfully fire a weapon and it kills someone, that seems within range.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HoustonFrog said:

There are going to be tens of thousands of incidents today and tomorrow and the next and the next that go perfectly. It’s just such a small number that go bad. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t appropriately deal with those (Chauvin for example) that do go bad, but it’s so far from the normal

Also agreed.

Where it rounds into the unacceptable is the fact that systematically, fellow cops, the union, and the PDs themselves regularly circle the wagons, lie, stonewall, etc. -- the blue wall of silence, the Omerta they enforce are all as real as it gets, and are why the problem is so profound.

Nobody expects any profession to have every person do their job perfectly.  But when they don't, especially when the result of not doing so is at worst death, and at best a deprivation of constitutional rights.....then the profession shouldn't choose to protect the bad actors with more fierceness and passion than they use to protect the people they supposedly protect and serve.

We would not have a problem with "substandard" cops if they faced consequences and weren't protected.  We wouldn't have a problem with the occasional rogue cop....if he was cracked down on by his peers.  The fact that those people have 20 year careers, inflicting pain all along the way, protected perfectly by their peers and system, is the root of the problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Helobious said:

There’s about 28 million blacks and Hispanics in this country. You think over 14 million of them have active warrants?

That many! Damn! Have you ever gone fishing? Or dragged a net? It’s just a higher probability. Is it wrong? Absolutely. Most of them have not committed a crime/ down on their luck people. 

Also agreed.
Where it rounds into the unacceptable is the fact that systematically, fellow cops, the union, and the PDs themselves regularly circle the wagons, lie, stonewall, etc. -- the blue wall of silence, the Omerta they enforce are all as real as it gets, and are why the problem is so profound.
Nobody expects any profession to have every person do their job perfectly.  But when they don't, especially when the result of not doing so is at worst death, and at best a deprivation of constitutional rights.....then the profession shouldn't choose to protect the bad actors with more fierceness and passion than they use to protect the people they supposedly protect and serve.
We would not have a problem with "substandard" cops if they faced consequences and weren't protected.  We wouldn't have a problem with the occasional rogue cop....if he was cracked down on by his peers.  The fact that those people have 20 year careers, inflicting pain all along the way, protected perfectly by their peers and system, is the root of the problem.

Not sure I agree that we wouldn’t still have issues with substandard police (I believe in a correlation between pay and quality) but I’m with you otherwise. The blue wall is an issue
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HoustonFrog said:

Not sure I agree that we wouldn’t still have issues with substandard police (I believe in a correlation between pay and quality) but I’m with you otherwise. The blue wall is an issue

I don't disagree that pay can be an issue with all such public-sector jobs (teachers, etc.), although.....cops generally get a pension that most folks could only dream of (police  and fire pensions are actually budget-crushers for many cities -- I'd rather pay them better up-front, and have them be in some sort of 401k-ish mechanism, like most of us).

But even then, there will ALWAYS be substandard members of the profession -- maybe fewer of them, but shit....I've seen some well-paid members of numerous professions who also happen to be not worth a shit when they actually get out into the real world.  Never exclude the possibility of  an utter dumbass who happens to test well.

Signed, a guy who maxed out every standardized test he ever took, but hasn't exactly won any Nobel Prizes.

• Hook 'Em 1

A quick google of "Cop accidentally uses gun instead of taser" tells me: 1) It happens more than I would have thought, and 2) whether or not the officer gets charged has a lot to do with the way the local law is written, though if there's any interpretation that allows it you can be sure this County Attorney will file.  Conviction will obviously be a different matter. 

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also agreed.

You’ve never watched that “The first 48” show. I absolutely love it. Especially the Tulsa one. Every time they get a break in their case it’s a methhead. I digress, in all seriousness, I’ve only been profiled one time. At an airport. Or unless they just thought I might be some czechoslovakian bitch they were hunting. It was super cool btw. I am not that person. No way. 

back to your point, no one person should be subjected to routine harassment as I have seen done. Period. It’s criminal. Cops should be seen as protectors not humilators/killers/racist assholes. 

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't disagree that pay can be an issue with all such public-sector jobs (teachers, etc.), although.....cops generally get a pension that most folks could only dream of (police  and fire pensions are actually budget-crushers for many cities -- I'd rather pay them better up-front, and have them be in some sort of 401k-ish mechanism, like most of us).

But even then, there will ALWAYS be substandard members of the profession -- maybe fewer of them, but shit....I've seen some well-paid members of numerous professions who also happen to be not worth a shit when they actually get out into the real world.  Never exclude the possibility of  an utter dumbass who happens to test well.

Signed, a guy who maxed out every standardized test he ever took, but hasn't exactly won any Nobel Prizes.

It’s because you are too preachy? No doubt smart though. 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

But I think rich cities should be happy to pay for high quality services, but it's got to be both. Take Austin - despite low rates we're rolling in tax revenue because of a booming economy. We've got the best paid police with the highest standard of living in the safest places in the state to be a cop (from what I hear, anyway). I'm fine with that, and I'd even be happy to pay them even more, and buy them cooler shit. I'd even be happy to pay them bonuses to live in town. 
And in return, I want the highest professional standard, I want non-core functions moved into more cost effective departments, a ton of oversight, and the least amount of slack for fuckups. I think that's reasonable. 

Bozo_Casanova for Mayor: house the homeless and fire the fuckups. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, XYZ said:

So big fat guy in Brooklyn (or Queens) ends up dead because he was selling cigarettes on the street. Daniel Shaver ends up dead because he was brandishing a toy gun in his hotel room. Floyd ends up dead because he passed a fake $20 bill to somebody. And whoever this last poor sap was, because of expired plates. I guess I wish if criminals had to die that it would be more of the bank robbery or violent assault type and less of the selling cigarettes or doing absolutely nothing wrong type.

So the Brooklyn guy, Eric Garner, had been arrested multiple times for selling illegal cigarettes, what was his end game resisting arrest?  Commit a crime and just have the officer ignore it?  Let him turn himself in when he feels like it?  The law doesn't apply to him because he disagrees with it?  Of course he doesn't deserve to die, but if he simply answers for his crime and gets arrested like before he is still alive. 

Floyd takes the cuffs, sits in the car and goes to jail for the crime he committed, he is still here.  He did not deserve to die and the officers should be held accountable for their actions.

Blake was at his alleged sexual assault victim's house, causing her to call the police in fear for her safety.  Had he answers for his alleged crime, not resisted with a weapon, goes peacefully he is still walking.  He doesn't deserve to be paralyzed. 

Rayshard Brooks was complying with officers when arrested in the drive through, if he doesn't assault the officers and fire a taser at their heads he goes to jail, not the hospital. 

Police need to be held accountable for their actions, but there is a common preventable theme here.

Just now, Nicole44 said:

It’s because you are too preachy? No doubt smart though. 

Naah, it's because "smart" doesn't always translate to "uses common sense to max advantage."  Also, having a conscience sometimes hurts.  I could be fucking rich* if I dispensed with my moral compass completely.

*  Or president.   Or in prison.   Roll of the dice and such.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  While I want police to be able to protect themselves, their priority should be to protect human life.  All of it.  Including the person they are interacting with who, as of that moment, has not been convicted of anything.  Maybe the person has a mental issue.  Maybe they're scared as shit because someone with a gun is barking at them.  Maybe they're a really bad guy intent on bad shit.  In cop world, all too often, all options except the last one are purged from the officer's mind.  And even in THAT option, no law in any jurisdiction allows a cop to kill someone "because  he was a bad guy."

Chris Rock did.  Plenty of minority leaders have.  Plenty of leaders of all stripes have.

Of course, in Arizona, it don't make a shit, you're dead anyway.  In Virginia, doing what everyone advises -- pulling over in a well-lit place -- don't make a shit.  Run, don't run.  Whether you live or die, suffer or not, depends on what a cop feels like doing in a given moment.  You have the burden of proving that you SHOULDN'T be killed.  And sometimes, you're even given the false choice -- do X, suffer consequences, don't do X, also suffer consequences.  No-win situations administered at the point of a gun, cloaked in the power of the State, are fucking bullshit.

can you provide a link from the last 24 months of one of these examples?

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Naah, it's because "smart" doesn't always translate to "uses common sense to max advantage."  Also, having a conscience sometimes hurts.  I could be fucking rich* if I dispensed with my moral compass completely.

*  Or president.   Or in prison.   Roll of the dice and such.

Or just do a podcast if you have decent radio voice. But at I doubt you make good brisket. Everyone says they do. Lmao

16 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

So the Brooklyn guy, Eric Garner, had been arrested multiple times for selling illegal cigarettes, what was his end game resisting arrest?  Commit a crime and just have the officer ignore it?  Let him turn himself in when he feels like it?  The law doesn't apply to him because he disagrees with it?  Of course he doesn't deserve to die, but if he simply answers for his crime and gets arrested like before he is still alive. 

Floyd takes the cuffs, sits in the car and goes to jail for the crime he committed, he is still here.  He did not deserve to die and the officers should be held accountable for their actions.

Blake was at his alleged sexual assault victim's house, causing her to call the police in fear for her safety.  Had he answers for his alleged crime, not resisted with a weapon, goes peacefully he is still walking.  He doesn't deserve to be paralyzed. 

Rayshard Brooks was complying with officers when arrested in the drive through, if he doesn't assault the officers and fire a taser at their heads he goes to jail, not the hospital. 

Police need to be held accountable for their actions, but there is a common preventable theme here.

Criminals need to be held accountable for their actions, but there is a common preventable theme here. 

The common preventable theme is that Police aren't being held accountable.  All of the men you mentioned died or were disabled as a result of their poor choices.  Not one of the officers in the cases you cite have been convicted (at least not as of yet).  Two of them weren't even charged.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Criminals need to be held accountable for their actions, but there is a common preventable theme here. 

The common preventable theme is that Police aren't being held accountable.  All of the men you mentioned died or were disabled as a result of their poor choices.  Not one of the officers in the cases you cite have been convicted (at least not as of yet).  Two of them weren't even charged.

100% agree

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Seriously his brisket is actually excellent. 

The most thought provoking aggravating at times want to rip your hair out poster total downer on a good day poster actually makes good brisket? Either you are his lover or a wife? That bullshit

24 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

He was from Staten Island btw. 

I wouldn’t lump in Brooks & Blake with people like Garner, Shaver, Floyd, Walter Scott, and others. The former were actively attacking or potentially kidnapping in Blake’s case. The latter were people under clear mental stress and/or high or drunk, and the cops made the situations worse than they had to be. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

can you provide a link from the last 24 months of one of these examples?

I posted it a couple days ago, but a pentagon police officer murdered two black men for "stealing" their own car. He had seen what he thought was a car break-in and "engaged the suspects who failed to follow his direction". When the "suspects" tried to "flee" in a vehicle, the Pentagon Force Protection Agency officer "discharged his service weapon". The cop lied in his report and said that they "gassed it" and tried to hit him, but surveillance video shows that he opened fire only after they were past him.

It's a rare exception where he's actually being charged with a crime, but it's only because he didn't have jurisdiction in Maryland so he couldn't hide behind his badge and sovereign immunity.

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He was from Staten Island btw. 

I wouldn’t lump in Brooks & Blake with people like Garner, Shaver, Floyd, Walter Scott, and others. The former were actively attacking or potentially kidnapping in Blake’s case. The latter were people under clear mental stress and/or high or drunk, and the cops made the situations worse than they had to be. 

Challenge in many ways is that it seems that cops have just zero training in de-escalating conflict. It may be zero interest as well, but at the very least train these guys on how to speak with someone who is drugged up/having a mental break.

36 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Or just do a podcast if you have decent radio voice. But at I doubt you make good brisket. Everyone says they do. Lmao

22 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Seriously his brisket is actually excellent. 

You forgot to mention that I actually have a voice (and to be fair, a face) made for radio.  So, I have like, TWO socially valuable skills.

The wife of a poster here has even commented that I "give good phone."  She thinks I'm pretty ugly in person, though.

15 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Surly posters are leaders?  Guess that is a "no" to the link?

Didn't understand what you were asking for.  Don't have time to dig shit up, but seriously....it's a common thread from community activists from the grass roots to the top to advise people to obey the law and follow lawful commands.  It's actually ubiquitous as hell.  The problem is, it's followed with a response that can't be argued with -- "But even if we do that, they can still pepper spray, tase, and shoot us!"  To which the answer is "yup."  And see the link I posted.  Shit, the REASON that guy did what he did is because that is what minorities have been ADVISED to do -- slow down, and drive directly to a well-lit place to pull over.  The "pull over" as in "don't run" is an inherent part of that advice.  It's pretty fucking central to it, actually -- to stay alive, do NOT run....go someplace well-lit and visible, because we know they can and will do shit to you no matter what, so make sure they're in view of people when they do it.

Edited by Brisketexan

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

You forgot to mention that I actually have a voice (and to be fair, a face) made for radio.  So, I have like, TWO socially valuable skills.

The wife of a poster here has even commented that I "give good phone."  She thinks I'm pretty ugly in person, though.

I prefer to think of you as catering to a niche audience. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

True crime girl I admit but is there any reason to think that the alleged counterfeit bill was not linked to Chauvin’s moonlighting as a security guard at a nightclub that Floyd was a bouncer for? They just can’t prove it? 

Since he knew George?

29 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The most thought provoking aggravating at times want to rip your hair out poster total downer on a good day poster actually makes good brisket? Either you are his lover or a wife? That bullshit

Well, he gave me good advice a long time ago.   My guess is that his dystopian perspective is cathartic for him and I imagine he smiles genuinely a lot.  But that is just my guess and may likely all be my imagination.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

How do Tamir Rice, Philando Castile, and John Crawford fit that theme? 

4 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Guy didn’t deserve to die but he has some blame in this unfortunately. 

Why does that matter?  The person whose salary I paid fucked up and needs to not be in a position of public trust regardless of anyone else's stupidity.

We don't blame victims in other matters.  If there were a terrible surgeon who butchered people, they'd be sued for malpractice and lose their surgical privileges and their medical license.  And even before then, the public could see what medical malpractice payments the surgeon made.  And we wouldn't go around saying, well, gee, yes he butchered that heart surgery.  But it's the patient's fault for eating a diet of Big Macs.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Well, he gave me good advice a long time ago.   My guess is that his dystopian perspective is cathartic for him and I imagine he smiles genuinely a lot.  But that is just my guess and may likely all be my imagination.  

F418BD07-6D80-44ED-92A1-720616DE9C7A.gif

Why does that matter?  The person whose salary I paid fucked up and needs to not be in a position of public trust regardless of anyone else's stupidity.
We don't blame victims in other matters.  If there were a terrible surgeon who butchered people, they'd be sued for malpractice and lose their surgical privileges and their medical license.  And even before then, the public could see what medical malpractice payments the surgeon made.  And we wouldn't go around saying, well, gee, yes he butchered that heart surgery.  But it's the patient's fault for eating a diet of Big Macs.

Not sure anyone is arguing the officer shouldn’t be fired at minimum.

Also - a surgeon is working under very controlled circumstances, at their own pace with zero risk to their own life. Completely different situation.

3 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Not sure anyone is arguing the officer shouldn’t be fired at minimum.

Also - a surgeon is working under very controlled circumstances, at their own pace with zero risk to their own life. Completely different situation.

Both are asking to be treated as professionals and with respect.  Both are in positions of authority/life and death over others.  But only one of those two "professionals" is required to pay for their own mistakes, or at least purchase insurance, and to be held to account for their mistakes, without blaming the public.

Edit to add;  This right here is the problem.  That police think they're above accountability, by constantly amping the fear for their own life.  Even when doing things like writing tickets for selling cigarettes or pulling over someone for an unregistered vehicle.  And that their fear should let them evade professional accountability.

Edited by lemonlime

21 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Guy didn’t deserve to die but he has some blame in this unfortunately. 

If you are talking about George Floyd, yes he has some blame. He was a big fella...and black. And the 140 pound manlet with a gun and a badge was skeered of him.

Dude was in the wrong profession all his years on the force if he and 3 other officers in his command can't properly subdue a guy who stopped resisting once he was out of the car. Not sure what other blame you are attributing because if it is being intoxicated in public, that shouldn't mean the death penalty or you and I would already be on death row.