Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

What were the board's thoughts on Jay Graham? Looks like he may be Saban's new "Jeff Banks" in Texas based on his recent follows of Denver Harris, Campbell, and Perkins

I'm certain he is on staff to coach the TEs and Special teams seeing that he played RB in college. He also is associated with some top characters.

Miami (OH) (2008)
Running backs coach

South Carolina (2009–2010)
Running backs coach

South Carolina (2011)
Running backs & tight ends coach

Tennessee (2012)
Running backs coach

Florida State (2013)
Running backs coach

Florida State (2014–2017)
Running backs coach & special teams coach

Texas A&M (2018–2019)
Running backs coach

Tennessee (2020)
Running backs coach

Alabama (2021–present)
Special teams coordinator & tight ends coach

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

What were the board's thoughts on Jay Graham? Looks like he may be Saban's new "Jeff Banks" in Texas based on his recent follows of Denver Harris, Campbell, and Perkins

Wasn’t Graham that rain maker that Jimbo brought in to replace Brewster but never lived up to the hype?

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Some folks do not feel good about Brooks going anywhere but Alabama now that they've keyed in on him. His dad knows the drill and talking points

Allen, Anderson and Hullaby could be your safety class if the chips fall right. It's looking like Texas could take 6 if they're the right 6, so someone like Hyphen could still be in the mix, or a 3rd CB. 

No read on Neto, so all of those schools are candidates, apparently. If this guy is of Nigerian descent, Texas should have a great case to make with all of the success they've had with those guys over the years, Ossai included. I'm not an expert on country-specific naming conventions from the African continent, so don't katfid me if the guy's family is from somewhere other than Nigeria. 

Would you mind elaborating? Does this mean he knows how to hint around that he could use a new job in Alabama?

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Would you mind elaborating? Does this mean he knows how to hint around that he could use a new job in Alabama?

Sorry. I meant that he knows what being recruited is all about and he knows that Alabama's argument for going there pretty much trumps everyone else's if he really believes that his son has NFL-caliber talent. I have no idea whether or not bags matter, but let's face it, the dude was recruited out of Dallas Carter by Jackie Sherrill. I doubt he will hint about shit if he thinks $$ should be a part of the deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

BTW, I'm interested in other peoples' opinions, but I think Brooks is ridiculously underrated. If Texas somehow landed him and Harris in the same class, holy shit. Doesn't sound likely, but I don't think they'll be giving up on either guy until the ink is dry. Getting Harris alone is a big deal, to me at least.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bevo said:

There was a famous Little from before my time. Larry Little - might have been a hall of  famer. He had a son David Little who also played in the NFL. They were from Florida. I wonder if Earl Little is related. 

His dad played for Miami - seems like a different Little family: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Little

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

BTW, I'm interested in other peoples' opinions, but I think Brooks is ridiculously underrated. If Texas somehow landed him and Harris in the same class, holy shit. Doesn't sound likely, but I don't think they'll be giving up on either guy until the ink is dry. Getting Harris alone is a big deal, to me at least.

Some people think Brooks is a borderline 5*

Similar to Stewart, I'm watching to see if Bama starts to land other players at the same position, since they're always juggling a bunch of elite players at every position 

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My opinion is the only one that matters, and I think he's a witch. The second play of his HUDL is NFL shit.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't want to be that "Jamal Charles comp" guy, but a sudden, vicious force in the run game while playing press corner and getting back on the ball, playing the ball extremely well... that guy is coaching high school football in Arizona.  Brooks reminds me of him, sue me.

And as I said before, Harris is an island CB.

Edited by cafe society
gerunds

Eric Nahlin: Offer scarcity is out the window, prospects now feeling urgent

(Urgent, urgent)

Unless you’re a Foreigner to recruiting you’ve noticed Steve Sarkisian is highly involved in the offer process. That makes sense for a number of obvious reasons, but his high work rate is noticeable in tweet after tweet of newly offered recruits mentioning him. The increased offer activity is in contrast to Tom Herman’s previous approach of offering less to increase the perceived value of a Texas offer.

That only works when you’re winning, and even then it’s ill-advised because nobody wins more while “offering” more than Alabama. At the same time, Alabama’s offers meant more and much less and that never hurt the all-too-often defending national champs. In years past we’ve watched Alabama flood the Texas market with offers that weren’t in anyway real, but they created the perception mighty Alabama was interested while arrogant Texas wasn’t.

That puts Texas in a pickle because fake offers can come back to haunt you if you’re the flagship university of the state. The increase in offers is more telling with the 2023 class than 2022. Rather than doing months of diligence on a recruit’s background, often while falling behind with recruits, the new staff is saying, “here’s an offer, we’ll find out if you’re our timber along the way, then proceed accordingly.”

Herman’s approach of less supply equaling more demand is at least defensible if Texas is winning, but Sark understands the winning method is to create urgency with a lot of prospects vying for only a few spots. He’s flipped scarcity on its head. As a not-so-random example, think about how Texas handled offensive line recruiting last cycle. Rather than offering 8-10 prospects for two spots, they’d offer one player at a time, often very late and to no avail. Then they’d offer someone else with the same results.

Again, we’ll contrast that with Sarkisian: though Texas is in great shape for Westlake interior offensive lineman Conner Robertson, the staff also elected to offer Frisco’s Cole Hutson. If Robertson doesn’t want to decide in a reasonable time, they’ve set themselves up to push for Hutson, a player who is far too good to be considered a contingency. There’s little to no risk in Sarkisian’s approach at this time. On occasion, they may have to speed a guy up, or slow him down, but he‘s learned those techniques from the master.

Edited by satyanash

This kid likes us; specifically mentioned Texas as a program he wanted an offer from. https://247sports.com/Article/Arizona-pass-rusher-Zac-Swanson-Oregon-Oklahoma-USC-160702363/

I spent *entirely* too long on this but he might have a girlfriend on the swim team. Might doing a lot of work there.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TenCarryTom said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see banks commit very soon. Might be what Coach O is referring too. 

Would be amazing. That one is interesting, seems like Texas sources have been bullish lately but he got those low confidence CBs to aggy yesterday and it doesn’t seem like their mods have been preparing them to be let down like they have done with Anderson. 

5 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Didn’t someone just put a pick for A&M for Banks? 

OU mod and Ok St mod put in picks of 6 and 5 confidence respectively. But because of the “Crystal Ball Day” that 247 just had, it’s difficult to tell if they’re anything more than a shot in the dark.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

For those of you worried about the Banks CBs

Screenshot_20210218-192414_Chrome.jpg

We all know to ignore early aggy cbs as they are not predictive but rather attempts to manipulate the system to help generate momentum. 

Banks is a little different. Some regional guys took their best guess because the service asked them to, and they guessed aggy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting