40 people shot in 3 days

Stros

2 hours ago, Lagunamadre said:

Fix the public schools, pour money into competent teachers and adequate facilities. It will pay off in 10 years, but gotta start now. I'm sure Devos is on it. 

Yeah. That’s it. Public schools in Chicago don’t spend enough.  That $17k per student is way too low. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pancho Negro said:

I just don't get the sense the OP (and others in this thread) really give a shit about Chicago and their shootings.

They don't. Easier to make it a political football to be passed back and forth.

And I don't know what the answer is.

1 hour ago, pokeNbeans said:

Just legalize drugs and the killings will drop 20-30% overnight.

Okay... maybe 10-15%.

I'm not so sure that will work. "Those people" aren't suddenly going to find a lucrative legal job.

from what i remember last summer - this is a decline in shootings.

that place is unfortunately fucked. and every day that ticks by with teh same BS makes it even that much harder to save and reverse. very sad

Just turn the city into a penal colony. Business and law abiding citizens will adjust on their own. The gangs will grow at first but when you only out police on the outskirts of town in order to contain the mess then the population will eventually gather in the center of the city where the good real estate is after business and law abiding citizens move out (they’ll all want to occupy the trump penthouse I’m sure). At that point they’ll all kill each other. Chicago sucks anyway. Fuck it. Give it away. I’m sure the criminals will come up with some system to make it a sprawling metropolis. 

1 hour ago, relapse98 said:

I'm not so sure that will work. "Those people" aren't suddenly going to find a lucrative legal job.

Legalizing drugs would absolutely reduce gang violence.  Gangs don't kill each other because they are poor and don't have access to lucrative legal jobs, they kill to protect turf for selling drugs.  Eliminate the reason for the killing and you go along way to solving the problem.  Just look at how the end of prohibition reduced gang violence.  The mafia had to find new avenues to make money...none of the options in South Chicago would be even close to as profitable as drugs, so there would be fewer gang members, and much less incentive to kill.

With fewer gang members, and fewer flashy cars/jewels to distract them, more children in lower income neighborhoods would likely go to and stay in school. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

Just turn the city into a penal colony. Business and law abiding citizens will adjust on their own. The gangs will grow at first but when you only out police on the outskirts of town in order to contain the mess then the population will eventually gather in the center of the city where the good real estate is after business and law abiding citizens move out (they’ll all want to occupy the trump penthouse I’m sure). At that point they’ll all kill each other. Chicago sucks anyway. Fuck it. Give it away. I’m sure the criminals will come up with some system to make it a sprawling metropolis. 

8155731__36336.1492236300.jpg?c=2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, staboner said:

from what i remember last summer - this is a decline in shootings.

that place is unfortunately fucked. and every day that ticks by with teh same BS makes it even that much harder to save and reverse. very sad

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/01/us/chicago-crime-drop-april/index.html

Edited by Blotto

Show me a good poor public school district.  Not a single school,  but an entire school district.  Don’t Stand and Deliver it as a singular example,  but show the pre-K, elementary, and middle school have good scores with 75%+ free lunch statistics, as well as the unique magnet program.   Show me Eanes ISD, but with a 1/2 the funding. 

I’ll wait. 

Edited by Bateshorn

47 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Show me a good poor public school district.  Not a single school,  but an entire school district.  Don’t Stand and Deliver it as a singular example,  but show the pre-K, elementary, and middle school have good scores with 75%+ free lunch statistics, as well as the unique magnet program.   Show me Eanes ISD, but with a 1/2 the funding. 

I’ll wait. 

Chicago spends a fuck ton on public education. And its results sucks. 

Edited by Johnny Sack

6 hours ago, David Dennison said:

What about integrated neighborhoods?

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Disarm liberals and their constituencies by any means necessary. Our homicide rate would look like Belgiums. That’s if you want something that would actually work. 

Yep, democrats shouldn’t own guns. 

3 hours ago, Jhawk said:

You consistently have the dumbest, least thought out posts on here.

Edited by Jack Burton

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

That’s not what I asked.

Because what you asked was purely bait.

By what metric do you really want to measure school funding?  Avg. salary, highest salary, total funding,.......

Let me guess, it isn’t enough?

everyone wringing their hands about what to do for the poor black folk in chicago and beyond.  the only people that can help them is themselves.  period.  I believe that someday they will.  

pity from white people hasn’t really helped them out a whole lot anyway. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

everyone wringing their hands about what to do for the poor black folk in chicago and beyond.  the only people that can help them is themselves.  period.  I believe that someday they will.  

pity from white people hasn’t really helped them out a whole lot anyway. 

That's not true, but whatever. White people had a ton of help from the state. Who do you think removed Indians? Who do you think opened up territory for the land rush in the late 1800s? Who do you think subsidized development of the suburbs? Who do you think supported the mortgages used to buy the houses in those suburbs? Who do you think established land grant universities? Who do you think set up all of the conditions in this country that made it possible for white people to build wealth and hand it down to their children and grand children? Who do you think provided the courts that enforced racially discriminatory laws for centuries?

Black and brown people don't need pity from white people. They need white people to stop being racist.

Edited by David Dennison

12 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That's not true, but whatever. White people had a ton of help from the state. Who do you think removed Indians? Who do you think opened up territory for the land rush in the late 1800s? Who do you think subsidized development of the suburbs? Who do you think supported the mortgages used to buy the houses in those suburbs? Who do you think established land grant universities? Who do you think set up all of the conditions in this country that made it possible for white people to build wealth and hand it down to their children and grand children? Who do you think provided the courts that enforced racially discriminatory laws for centuries?

Black and brown people don't need pity from white people. They need white people to stop being racist.

white guilt must be an awful thing to deal with. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Because what you asked was purely bait.

By what metric do you really want to measure school funding?  Avg. salary, highest salary, total funding,.......

Let me guess, it isn’t enough?

It’s a simple question: show me a high performing school district that is doing it on limited resources. 

You can poorly educate kids for a lot of money.  You can also educate them well for a lot of money. What you can’t do is educate them well on the cheap.  If you could, every politician in America would point at that district as a success story

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

It’s a simple question: show me a high performing school district that is doing it on limited resources. 

You can poorly educate kids for a lot of money.  You can also educate them well for a lot of money. What you can’t do is educate them well on the cheap.  If you could, every politician in America would point at that district as a success story

So lack of money is not the problem?  What is the problem?

7 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I hate to be a buzz kill, but that's never going to happen.  And it's not just "white people", there's not a race, creed, or ethnic group on the planet that doesn't have bias against at least one other race, creed, or ethnic group. I've lived in several countries, and there was always an "other" that was discriminated against on a personal, and or policy level.

As much as you, me, or anyone else doesn't want that to be the case, it always will be.  So the truth is that Future Man is right.  The only way for any minority group to succeed is to band together and do it themselves.

That's not racist, it's just a fact of life.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I wish I cared about anything as much as certain white people who have never even been to Chicago pretend to care about crime in that city.

Chicago is an amazing city with some very real and massive issues that a lot of people would rather not talk about and don't spent a second thinking about when they are there visiting. Sadly the long history of being run by Democrats, the corruption, massive debt issues make it a pretty easy target for those on the right. 

Throw in the fact that it's our former President's hometown just adds more fuel to the fire. 

They don't care about the City they like to use it to rub it in the other sides face with regards to a large number of failed Democratic ideas. 

If only it was that easy............... 

2 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Chicago is an amazing city with some very real and massive issues that a lot of people would rather not talk about and don't spent a second thinking about when they are there visiting. Sadly the long history of being run by Democrats, the corruption, massive debt issues make it a pretty easy target for those on the right. 

Throw in the fact that it's our former President's hometown just adds more fuel to the fire. 

They don't care about the City they like to use it to rub it in the other sides face with regards to a large number of failed Democratic ideas. 

If only it was that easy............... 

Kind of like the finger wagging Democrats like to do regarding Republican policies in Kansas.  

148 murders in Kansas

762 murders in Chicago

Both just under 3 million in population.

baffling discrepancy between msn's report and gunviolence.org.

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/last-72-hours

According to them only two incidents in Illinois.  They report the most shootings have been in Virginia, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana - all with three incidents each.  But these are probably all Obama's and Emmanuel's fault too.

9 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

baffling discrepancy between msn's report and gunviolence.org.

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/last-72-hours

According to them only two incidents in Illinois.  They report the most shootings have been in Virginia, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana - all with three incidents each.  But these are probably all Obama's and Emmanuel's fault too.

black on black crime isn't sexy enough for the news. 

11 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I’ll wait. 

The problem isn't that enough money isn't spent on them, its that the parents do not give a fuck about their own kids.

Even with twice the amount of money poured into those schools would mean nothing if nobody cares once those kids leave school. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, whatup said:

The problem isn't that enough money isn't spent on them, its that the parents do not give a fuck about their own kids.

Even with twice the amount of money poured into those schools would mean nothing if nobody cares once those kids leave school. 

can't be said enough.  if the parents don't care the kids won't care.  there is so much work and time that needs to be invested in at home from the time the child is a baby to the time they graduate.  how do you get them to care?  and after you get them to care how do you get them to know what to do?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

I just don't get the sense the OP (and others in this thread) really give a shit about Chicago and their shootings. 

Call me crazy...

I do care, or I wouldn't have started the thread. It's very sad that many of the victims are kids, and young teens.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, whatup said:

Yes and no. 

The parents (or in most cases parent) love the shit out of their kids. But when they aren't around the street tends to raise them. There are a shit ton of problems with the inner city but to assume that most parents don't love their kids is a really bad take. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Call me crazy...

I care about the kids and bystanders that get shot. I dgaf, a single fuck about the gangbangers that receive the wrong end of it. They have no regards for their life or others. The faster they leave this earth the better. Fuck them. 

Edited by fattyflattie
Commas.
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, whatup said:

Focusing on the nuclear family is the correct answer, but be prepared to get called a racist. 

• Like 1