Tell me about UH

GhostofDanJones

On 3/29/2019 at 11:43 AM, Johnny Sack said:

I guess I can understand not playing when you are healthy to protect your future.  But the shit he pulled in warm ups, running all over the field at full speed and making leaping, one handed catches while clowning around was basically pissing in the eyes of his team and fans.  At least act like you're not 100% healthy.

I'm not the kind of guy to root for anybody to get injured, but if he was drafted in the first round by the Redskins or Eagles and suffered a major injury before the season started, I'd probably chuckle.

26 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Was reading the UH stuff from earlier this year (2019). I get that they don't appreciate how awesome UT is, but what's their beef with a shitty-ass program like aggy?

Patent infringement?

5008831.jpg

vs.

Edited by Goodman

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/4/8/18289189/houston-cougars-football-2019-preview-schedule-roster

It’s been a hectic few years. Call it a hunch, but I’m betting Holgorsen makes it more than Applewhite’s two years, at least. He’s got the swagger Houston desires, and the potential for this program moving forward is obvious.

Houston won’t be a P5 program any time soon, but Holgo’s going to recruit among the best in the AAC, and he’s got all the offensive chops you could ask for. (I love the Cauthen hire, too.)

It’s hard to say how Year One is going to go, though. Holgorsen never had a defense that ranked worse than 76th in Def. S&P+ at WVU. If Houston hits even that low mark in 2019, the Cougars could become AAC West favorites. The offense is loaded and exciting, but the defense, with iffy depth in the front seven and a smoking crater at cornerback, will determine whether the goal is 10-2 or 7-5.

Any more additional info on why Dana chose to go to UH ?? 
Some comments that I've seen:
  • Not happy w/support from WV administration
  • Increase in salary at UH
  • Enjoys Houston area more than WV
  • Tired of WV's lack of respect from B12
  • Remaining roster at WV poor for 2019
No Jack In The Box in WV.

No Whataburger in WV.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I was born in Houston and live here to this day.  Holgorsen has some weird affinity for this town.  He absolutely loves H town.

As does former Rockets's coach Van Gundy. Of course, the city of Houston to this day still loves Jeff as well. He might the 2nd most popular former coach behind Rudy T.

Edited by HtownHorn

• 3 months later...
24 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Fertitta's got his back. This is just the beginning, they'll take anyone who they think will help them win.

Yea he does to a point, but I am going on record that this shit will turn out really badly. UH fans always talk about how tilly fertti is "paying for all of this" when the reality is the guy is not paying for jack shit. He bought naming rights to the arena, but it is not like he cut a huge check for FREE for a bunch of other shit he basically cuts a check for those naming rights and that is about it. You can look at their donation levels throughout the years for athletics and see that there is no big donors stepping up to fund shit.

They are under huge pressure after firing an 8 win coach, paying him a buyout (even if not that big relative to a lot of others), paying a buy out to WVU and then paying another pretty much 8 win coach that was about to be fired $4 million a year. Their fans can bullshit themselves that tilly foots the bill, but when the 6 and 7 win seasons roll in and if there are player issues along the way shit will get ugly and the media will rip them a new asshole.

I have them winning 6 games at most this year and a good chance for less because I think OU is going to throttle the shit out of their QB and probably bust his ass in half. I see OU as a loss, a loss to either WSU or north Texas state, loss to Cincy, loss to UCF, loss to Memphis, and a loss to Navy.

That is 6 losses there and they could lose to both WSU and north Texas state. Of course they could beat Navy, but they also lost to Tulsa last year, and they lose to bad SMU teams occasionally and I think SMU will be a lot better this year.

I would be shocked if they win 7 games and I would not be shocked if they won 5 games or less especially if OU fucks up their QB like I think they will. I am not even saying on purpose he is way undersized and will try and be a "play maker" and will get lit up and holgar is not smart enough to put a stop to shit like that in fact he will let it keep happening.

If they win 6 games or less this year the media will be all over them even nationally and if they win 6 or less next year their academic administration and their connections to tilly ferti will probably come under pressure and that is when the money (and his lack of actual major contributions) and the massive academic subsidies will come under huge scrutiny and I would not be surprised to see some legislative actions or at least talk of it. 

Edited by ButtFumble

30 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I would be shocked if they win 7 games and I would not be shocked if they won 5 games or less especially if OU fucks up their QB like I think they will. I am not even saying on purpose he is way undersized and will try and be a "play maker" and will get lit up and holgar is not smart enough to put a stop to shit like that in fact he will let it keep happening.

How exactly is OU going to fuck up their QB?

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

How exactly is OU going to fuck up their QB?

he is small and under sized and he tries to make plays with his feet.....he is going to get the shit knocked out of him trying that against OU

the same way that those scrambling QBs never last in the NFL because they get the life knocked out of them after 2 or 3 seasons

2 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

he is small and under sized and he tries to make plays with his feet.....he is going to get the shit knocked out of him trying that against OU

the same way that those scrambling QBs never last in the NFL because they get the life knocked out of them after 2 or 3 seasons

You mean like how so many teams knocked the shit out of Murray last year?

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You mean like how so many teams knocked the shit out of Murray last year?

he plays for OU

De'Rik plays for UH going against OU

and Lincoln Riley understands about protecting a QB while holgar does not

it is the first game of the season with a new DC and a fresh memory of getting beaten at Reliant....OU is going to be pretty fired up and UH has some major OLine holes to fill

I would say it is more like how programs knocked the shit out of Tech QBs last year because those are more similar programs (although Tech is slightly better as shown on the field recently)......and Tech had a dumb ass for a head coach that did not understand shit about protecting the QB from the same coaching stump as holgar

Edited by ButtFumble

8 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

Yea he does to a point, but I am going on record that this shit will turn out really badly.  You can look at their donation levels throughout the years for athletics and see that there is no big donors stepping up to fund shit. They are under huge pressure after firing an 8 win coach, paying him a buyout (even if not that big relative to a lot of others), paying a buy out to WVU and then paying another pretty much 8 win coach that was about to be fired $4 million a year. Their fans can bullshit themselves that tilly foots the bill, but when the 6 and 7 win seasons roll in and if there are player issues along the way shit will get ugly and the media will rip them a new asshole.  I have them winning 6 games at most this year.

Great stuff... 😎

Found some info on buyouts.  Looks like:

• Major's was $1.95 mill
  • Holgy's was $1.0 mill

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

D'Eriq King is small, but fast. I highly doubt OU will knock the shit out of him. If Clayton Tune plays, then yes he'll get knocked out.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

So is he talking shit about just Major or is he taking a shot at Herman too?

Major. Most of the players Herman had were Jrs, when he arrived. His only full recruiting cycle class at UH ended up 36th. All the skill position players that will likely light up the score board for Holgo come from this class.

1 hour ago, TexasMan said:

So is he talking shit about just Major or is he taking a shot at Herman too?

he is setting expectations for the fans he knows they are willing to blame everything on Major no matter what happens so he can play into that

I am not saying Major was a great coach, but I think they are going to discover he was not as bad as they wanted to make him out to be and that coaches that have to say stupid shit about practicing hard and how much better they are doing things than the last guy are really just idiots

it is kind of a joke to hear a coach with 7.625 average wins per season over 8 seasons talk shit about a coach with 7.5 average wins per season over 2 seasons

and you can talk about what kind of a program Major took over (one with massive coaching churn) and the records the prior seasons, but it is not like holgar took over shit at WVU and he had a one win improvement his first season then a 7 win season then a 4 win season......so it is not like he is some amazing coach that immediately improves a program or turns it around and in fact his 7.625 wins per season is pretty shitty compared to the prior two coaches at WVU

Edited by ButtFumble

On 8/4/2019 at 9:08 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Man fuck U of H. Holgo is gonna average 8 wins a year and get canned after 4 years

They will do anything to win and ill be shocked if they arent going full SEC in recruiting already

Here’s how UH has been over the decade: has two outstanding 10+ win seasons and lost both of those coaches to P5 teams. Also won their conference and a NY6 bowl and are still salty about not being invited to the Big 12 or any P5. They’re becoming pretty aggy with their pettiness and desperation to win while clinging onto a hope that they’ll soon be asked to join the Big 12. Yeah, that shit ain’t happening. Unless they’re on ESPN playing a P5 or a prime time game, they can’t fill up their 40k seat stadium. Also, their fans don’t travel and they don’t have as many season ticket holders as they think. No fans means no value to the Big 12 or any P5 conference. 

Most students at UH don’t attend the games and you’ll see more students rooting for and watching Texas, aggy and LSU on Saturday afternoons. A good amount of their student body are mostly pro fans. If it ain’t the Texans, they don’t care(trust me, I know from experiencing this first hand).

Edited by Longboard Horn

The problem with UH is that every game is mainly the students attending since home games for every sport are free. All students have to do is present their student ID and the athletics department swipes them through.  Don’t get me wrong, when I was a student there briefly, I enjoyed not having to pay for the games. However, if UH ever wants to get in the Big 12 or any P5 conference they’re going to have to start to find a way to put asses in seats. 
About them not having fans is somewhat true since there aren’t very many ticket holders. Also, most of their “fanbase,” especially in the student section, isn’t loyal. Like I said earlier, 2010 UH went 5-7 and a lot of people I had classes with would say “I’m not going to the game. We suck.” But then the next season when UH started winning they started showing up to games. UH sadly is known for having bandwagon fans and a bandwagon student section. They only show up when UH is winning.  

you just described the 1989 (and other years in the 90s... that aren't 1990, and aren't Big12/Ricky years) Texas Longhorn fan experience...

tickets weren't "free," but the all sports package was some number less than $50... the IDsweren't even swiped... just looked at for a sticker (that everyone had - some paid, some counterfit).

when UT wasn't winning, football tickets were $5 from HEB... and didn't sell...

But, still... UH is mostly a commuter school. That will change if/as they become one of the better options for the tier of students who can't get in to the big state schools and dont care if they're in a college town or not. (ie, Texas State, Tech, etc...)

6 hours ago, Snacks said:

you just described the 1989 (and other years in the 90s... that aren't 1990, and aren't Big12/Ricky years) Texas Longhorn fan experience...

tickets weren't "free," but the all sports package was some number less than $50... the IDsweren't even swiped... just looked at for a sticker (that everyone had - some paid, some counterfit).

when UT wasn't winning, football tickets were $5 from HEB... and didn't sell...

But, still... UH is mostly a commuter school. That will change if/as they become one of the better options for the tier of students who can't get in to the big state schools and dont care if they're in a college town or not. (ie, Texas State, Tech, etc...)

Yes and what I just described is the present day situation with UH.

• 4 weeks later...