2021 CFB Polls/Rankings

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

They might be. Other than Clemson we haven’t done anything to prove we are better than those teams.

We lost to top 10 team on the road and beat the shit out of teams we should be beating the shit out of. Yes, that is a better resume than those teams who’ve struggled against terrible opponents.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

We lost to top 10 team on the road and beat the shit out of teams we should be beating the shit out of. Yes, that is a better resume than those teams who’ve struggled against terrible opponents.

How is that different than Auburn? How’s that different than aggy? 

None of this matters at all anyway. That’s the point. If we win our games then we will make the playoffs. If we don’t we won’t. Period. Bitching and complaining about us not being ranked 25th is dumb.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:
56 minutes ago, wood said:
Wut?

Self Awareness. The rest of the football world thinks many Texas fans lack self awareness.

OK? The thing is I'm not talking about Texas's ranking, esp compared to some of the other stupid shit in that ranking. The point is that if the very first p;oll was today, it would look far different from these polls that were released today.

28 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. He was absolutely right. I've been lucky (or unlucky?) enough to compete with and against pros in 3 sports, and I can tell you that's exactly the trait that they all had in common. Losing is the worst thing imaginable. Winning is the only remotely acceptable outcome, preferably while crushing your opponent in every imaginable way.

you left out driving your enemies before you.

and the lamentation of the women.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, wood said:

Losing is the worst thing imaginable. Winning is the only remotely acceptable outcome, preferably while crushing your opponent in every imaginable way.

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

you left out driving your enemies before you.

and the lamentation of the women.

I Want My Money And I Need It Now Sam Bernstein GIFs - Get the best GIF on  GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Well…. At least Kirk Bohls voted for us in the poll instead of against us.   That’s a positive.  Lol.  

Do enough this year to start out high enough in the next preseason poll that it works in our favor.  

and yeah if we win the rest of em this year I’d say odds are good that we are top 4.  Too good of a story and too big of a draw not to be.  I’ll start thinking about that outcome after we win in ft worth and Dallas. 

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

If we go 11-2 we will be in the conversation regardless of where our preseason ranking is. This is fucking Texas. We shouldn’t be ranked right now and the hand wringing about it is dumb. 

Wrong twice. 
1) we should be ranked

2) if we’d have started out too 5 like Clemson then we’d have pole position at 11-2 with a conference championship. Because we didn’t we wouldn’t be considered likely if we ended up in that situation. 
Is it the biggest deal in the world?  No. Do I think we will play for the playoffs this year?  No. But I’d prefer to get the benefit of the doubt over not. And right now we are firmly in “not” territory. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Wrong twice. 
1) we should be ranked

2) if we’d have started out too 5 like Clemson then we’d have pole position at 11-2 with a conference championship. Because we didn’t we wouldn’t be considered likely if we ended up in that situation. 
Is it the biggest deal in the world?  No. Do I think we will play for the playoffs this year?  No. But I’d prefer to get the benefit of the doubt over not. And right now we are firmly in “not” territory. 

Who gives a fuck if we are ranked 25th or not? We haven’t done anything to prove we deserve any ranking.

And again, if Texas is the winner of the conference, and have one of the best records in the country we will be in. We don’t need a top 5 start for that.  If we beat OU we would catapult anyway. The complaints about being ranked 25th in week 4 are dumb because it’s irrelevant 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And if we were instead say 14 before the RRR we would be the highest ranked 1 loss team in the country if we won. Now we won’t. That shit  matters. 

No it doesn’t. It doesn’t matter until selection time and we are still fucking Texas. This isn’t Baylor or some non P5 school.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No it doesn’t. It doesn’t matter until selection time and we are still fucking Texas. This isn’t Baylor or some non P5 school.

This man knows what the fuck he is talking about.  I don’t know what the rest of y’all are worried about.  Casey plays QB like Alvin Mack.  Like he hates defenses and they have to pay for disrespecting his name or something.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Who gives a fuck if we are ranked 25th or not? We haven’t done anything to prove we deserve any ranking.

And again, if Texas is the winner of the conference, and have one of the best records in the country we will be in. We don’t need a top 5 start for that.  If we beat OU we would catapult anyway. The complaints about being ranked 25th in week 4 are dumb because it’s irrelevant 

I’m taking about a situation where there’s 3 or 4 teams with same records for the 4th slot. Why wouldn’t you want every possible advantage. 
this team should be ranked 20th right now. It’s not a crime against humanity that we aren’t ranked or anything, but it’s an undeserved slight. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

What??? Why??? Why shouldn’t we be ranked? You think aggy, Clemson, Auburn, Baylor, NC State are better than us?

Well not saying much to the credit of those other teams but we shouldn't be ranked since we haven't really beaten anybody yet and got humiliated by piggy.

But we will be ranked if we beat TCU, whether we deserve it or not.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Well not saying much to the credit of those other teams but we shouldn't be ranked since we haven't really beaten anybody yet and got humiliated by piggy.

But we will be ranked if we beat TCU, whether we deserve it or not.

We've faired better in our wins against better opponents than aggy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Clemson still ranked is ridiculous. Texas out of the top 25 for a loss against a top 10ish team is equally ridiculous.

Folks over the last 10 years have been treated to the same thing we have been treated too. So I don’t blame folks for being hesitant before showing what we got versus TCU and OU. Root for piggy vs dog and lay down a beating on the frogs and we will be properly ranked for OU game for the TV hype.

36 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m taking about a situation where there’s 3 or 4 teams with same records for the 4th slot. Why wouldn’t you want every possible advantage. 
this team should be ranked 20th right now. It’s not a crime against humanity that we aren’t ranked or anything, but it’s an undeserved slight. 

There’s a list of schools that would get in before us but it doesn’t have anything to do with where they were ranked early in the season. If we have the same record as a couple SEC teams then we know they will get in. If we have the same record as a conference USA team, or a small p5 we will get in. NC State is a good example. If we finished with the same record as NC State we are getting in over them despite them currently being ranked and us left off. There’s benefits to being a brand. 
Every team ranked from 18-25 in the AP poll other than Auburn and Clemson would watch us get picked if finishing with the same record.

Edited by hobbes2702

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

55 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

This man knows what the fuck he is talking about.  I don’t know what the rest of y’all are worried about.  Casey plays QB like Alvin Mack.  Like he hates defenses and they have to pay for disrespecting his name or something.

Yeah, it's not like Texas ever barely got in by the skin of their teeth into a top 4 situation thanks to being ranked more highly to begin with over some scrub program like Cal. You dunderheads act like it could never happen to us when we nearly got dropped in favor of FUCKING CAL in 2004. Despite being a better team and having a better résumé we nearly got passed by the California fucking Golden fucking Bears.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, it's not like Texas ever barely got in by the skin of their teeth into a top 4 situation thanks to being ranked more highly to begin with over some scrub program like Cal. You dunderheads act like it could never happen to us when we nearly got dropped in favor of FUCKING CAL in 2004. Despite being a better team and having a better résumé we nearly got passed by the California fucking Golden fucking Bears.

vin diesel GIF

Winning is winning.  Last I checked we got in and they lost to Tech.

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

To add to this, there was actual for-real concern that we might have been leap frogged in 2005 until we wound up being the only other undefeated team. Which is fucking bonkers to me because we had played OSU.

I feel like Texas never gets the benefit of the doubt when it comes to national-level college football stuff. Remember when we got down voted below OU in 2008??

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And if we were instead say 14 before the RRR we would be the highest ranked 1 loss team in the country if we won. Now we won’t. That shit  matters. 

To help make your point, and that pre-season Or even first couple of weeks polls are dumb, here’s an example.  

forget next weeks games altogether, if we were rolling into Dallas at 3-1 and unranked while OU is 4-0 and ranked 4rh and we win 35-21 OU likely drops ~8 spots to 12 and we enter polls somewhere around 16-18.  

We see this shit every year, turns out it looks like our loss was to a top 10 team in week 2 with a new staff and freshman QB.  We made adjustments and. Get on a roll but the polls won’t generally jump or drop a team more than 10 spots, usually less.   There’s a chance we never catch up to them if we both win out from there  

Polls are a beauty contest and image does indeed matter  

Poll position matters, particularly when it’s so difficult to go undefeated and there are a lot of 1 loss teams vying for the same spots. But our image is approaching Michigan where pollsters are more likely to wait and see.  

On the flip side, we have certainly earned that wait and see attitude over the past decade, and we likely lose a few more games this year so...  But Moving to the SEC will help remedy that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That was a computer not a selection committee. But almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Edited by hobbes2702

3 minutes ago, SEC said:

To add to this, there was actual for-real concern that we might have been leap frogged in 2005 until we wound up being the only other undefeated team. Which is fucking bonkers to me because we had played OSU.

I feel like Texas never gets the benefit of the doubt when it comes to national-level college football stuff. Remember when we got down voted below OU in 2008??

We were never getting leap frogged in 05 lol. And like I said there’s a list of schools that would get better consideration. OU is one of them because they have been kicking our ass for a couple decades now other than two QBs for us.

Edited by hobbes2702

4 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

To help make your point, and that pre-season Or even first couple of weeks polls are dumb, here’s an example.  

forget next weeks games altogether, if we were rolling into Dallas at 3-1 and unranked while OU is 4-0 and ranked 4rh and we win 35-21 OU likely drops ~8 spots to 12 and we enter polls somewhere around 16-18.  

We see this shit every year, turns out it looks like our loss was to a top 10 team in week 2 with a new staff and freshman QB.  We made adjustments and. Get on a roll but the polls won’t generally jump or drop a team more than 10 spots, usually less.   There’s a chance we never catch up to them if we both win out from there  

Polls are a beauty contest and image does indeed matter  

Poll position matters, particularly when it’s so difficult to go undefeated and there are a lot of 1 loss teams vying for the same spots. But our image is approaching Michigan where pollsters are more likely to wait and see.  

On the flip side, we have certainly earned that wait and see attitude over the past decade, and we likely lose a few more games this year so...  But Moving to the SEC will help remedy that. 

Yep. Exactly correct. It probably won’t matter. But our fans acting like it’s irrelevant is wrong. And there’s no benefit or advantage to not being ranked. It’s a silly tripe that we see literally every year. We are the only fan base in the world that has a significant percentage of our fans rooting for us to be ranked lower than we deserve. 
It’s not like anyone is going to ignore us and we sneak up on them and get less than their best effort. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah. It really is stunning the lengths we can go to in order to downgrade our own team or act high minded and fair when literally every other fan base in the country cheers for their team to be higher rated than objective reality would say they deserve. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

10 minutes ago, SEC said:

Yep. Virginia tech was absolutely set to jump us when we struggled in Stillwater. Thankfully they fell apart. 

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

That was a computer not a selection committee. But almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

That even more proves his point. The computer got us in!  Left to the humans like it is now we’d have been aced out by a cal team that got butt fucked by a mediocre mike leach team. You are proving his and my point! 

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That even more proves his point. The computer got us in!  Left to the humans like it is now we’d have been aced out by a cal team that got butt fucked by a mediocre mike leach team. You are proving his and my point! 

Well the selection committee isn’t the AP poll. We literally see this all time in the basketball and baseball tourney. The committee’s favor blue bloods. That’s where the money comes from 

Edited by hobbes2702

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. Exactly correct. It probably won’t matter. But our fans acting like it’s irrelevant is wrong. And there’s no benefit or advantage to not being ranked. It’s a silly tripe that we see literally every year. We are the only fan base in the world that has a significant percentage of our fans rooting for us to be ranked lower than we deserve. 
It’s not like anyone is going to ignore us and we sneak up on them and get less than their best effort. 

No one is rooting for us to be ranked lower. Stop. People just don’t care if we are ranked or not because it’s week 4 and we aren’t going to be competing for the playoff anyway

16 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No one is rooting for us to be ranked lower. Stop. People just don’t care if we are ranked or not because it’s week 4 and we aren’t going to be competing for the playoff anyway

That’s simply not true. Every single year when the ore season polls come out we see people talking about how they wish we were ranked lower (or even unranked!) so that we would have a chip on our shoulder, sneak up on teams, get motivated for the season or a host of other absurdities. It’s practically something you can set your watch by. 

12 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

They never would have jumped us. That was media-fueled bullshit that never would have materialized even if they finished 12-0. 

Maybe. I give you Cal in 04 where the humans tried their best to screw us and OU in 08 where the coaches did screw us. It was real enough to be scary. 
the idea that having Texas on our jersey will protect isn’t is wishful thinking at best, and has been shown to be historically inaccurate at worst. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

We were never going to get screwed in ‘04 or ‘05. Mack’s politicking had no impact or worsened the situation. We didn’t get screwed in ‘08. Sure, Leach was a fucking moron, but that has remained consistent for the entirety of his life. We didn’t get screwed out of a title spot. We were in a 3-way tie with a team that was the #2 team in the country and the other team that beat that #2 team by 50. If we don’t lose to that #2 team, there is no 3-way tie. OU deserved to go ahead of us. 

OU didn't deserve shit. Fuck them.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Literally?  Lulz. Not sure you want to go down that road. Nice post. 

World class post by a grade-A mongoloid. I like how you tried to be hip and kitschy by posting 4chan lingo that was outdated 12 years ago. Hurry up and die already you old loser.

Edited by SEC
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, SEC said:

To add to this, there was actual for-real concern that we might have been leap frogged in 2005 until we wound up being the only other undefeated team.

This isn't true. Or if there was concern it was misguided. We were getting like 5-10 #1 votes every week in the AP. No one was ever jumping us. In fact we were 1st and ahead of USC in the 2nd week of the BCS standings. 

So, I don't know, quit making up stupid bullshit? 

I mean - you really think someone was going to leapfrog us after beating Colorado 70-3? Are you fucking dense?

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This isn't true. Or if there was concern it was misguided. We were getting like 5-10 #1 votes every week in the AP. No one was ever jumping us. In fact we were 1st and ahead of USC in the 2nd week of the BCS standings. 

So, I don't know, quit making up stupid bullshit? 

I mean - you really think someone was going to leapfrog us after beating Colorado 70-3? Are you fucking dense?

Little boy, don't talk about things you don't know about. There was concern we were going to be leap frogged *before* the CCG, dipshit.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, SEC said:

Little boy, don't talk about things you don't know about. There was concern we were going to be leap frogged *before* the CCG, dipshit.

Oh okay. Just keep moving the goalposts and clarifying your stupid fucking comment for us. Are you talking about week 12 when we received 14 first place AP votes? Help me out here. 

No one was ever playing for that title but us and SC. Who almost lost to ND and played like shit against Fresno State. Didn't seem to hurt their standing in the polls that much.