Do you FIRE? Financial Independence, Retire Early

UTGrad98

Not exactly FIRE since my mother is 72 (and no I won't tell her you said hi but I'll have her cook something for those with helpful responses).  She is house rich but doesn't have much else.  I'm considering paying off her mortgage and then telling her to stop paying her property taxes.  I believe in TX if you are over 65 the county can't kick you out of your home until you pass but they levy an 8% interest charge. 

Her annual property taxes are $15k and mostly frozen.  After 10 years of non-payment with interest the amount due would accrue to $250k.  Her home is easily worth $1M so subtracting that $250k still leaves $750k for her heirs.  She can afford maintenance on the house so I think this is a good way for her to stay in her home.

Even if she lives 20 years and owes $787k in back taxes the house is likely to have appreciated and if not I'd rather her use up her equity on herself than leave it to us.

What do you pros think?  Her mortgage is only at 3.75% but I doubt you can do this while having a mortgage.

I don't think a reverse mortgage, home loan, or HELOC would be better alternatives but y'all tell me.

5 hours ago, brownboy said:

Not exactly FIRE since my mother is 72 (and no I won't tell her you said hi but I'll have her cook something for those with helpful responses).  She is house rich but doesn't have much else.  I'm considering paying off her mortgage and then telling her to stop paying her property taxes.  I believe in TX if you are over 65 the county can't kick you out of your home until you pass but they levy an 8% interest charge. 

Her annual property taxes are $15k and mostly frozen.  After 10 years of non-payment with interest the amount due would accrue to $250k.  Her home is easily worth $1M so subtracting that $250k still leaves $750k for her heirs.  She can afford maintenance on the house so I think this is a good way for her to stay in her home.

Even if she lives 20 years and owes $787k in back taxes the house is likely to have appreciated and if not I'd rather her use up her equity on herself than leave it to us.

What do you pros think?  Her mortgage is only at 3.75% but I doubt you can do this while having a mortgage.

I don't think a reverse mortgage, home loan, or HELOC would be better alternatives but y'all tell me.

I would vote for selling the home, and paying cash for a smaller place. As for a deliberate strategy to not pay taxes, I find it hard to believe that is a good choice.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, brownboy said:

The risk of the unknown is sky high in this scenario. At the very least, you would need a thorough review by a financial/bankruptcy lawyer to make sure it would work out the way you think it would. And then cross your fingers that no laws change.

• Hook 'Em 2

Can't you take up to 250k profit and not owe any capital gains tax in Texas? Sell it and buy a 750k home cash preferably in a low property tax state.

Better yet have a sham wedding and she can pocket 500k since she would be married. Just write up a contract and pay the guy 5k or so. 

12 hours ago, brownboy said:

Call me old fashioned, but I believe people who own million dollar homes should pay their taxes.  Rather than "paying off her mortgage" just use that cash to pay the taxes.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Call me old fashioned, but I believe people who own million dollar homes should pay their taxes.  Rather than "paying off her mortgage" just use that cash to pay the taxes.

The taxes get paid just later PLUS significant interest, i wouldn’t even call it a loophole.

Purposefully accruing interest/penalties is effectively lighting future cash on fire. If the recipients of the inheritance are ok with the estate covering the tax+interest debt later, why not have the recipients pay the tax for her today? It will mean more money for them at a later date.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I have to assume mom doesn't want to leave her home and she doesn't have the income/savings to cover the bills. As someone with an older parent, there comes a time when you have to tell them what to do. Maybe that isn't today but eventually. In the meantime I would work to convince her that she would be happier in a smaller (cheaper) place. Benefits can include:

• fully paid off; lower taxes
  • less stress. No more worrying about bills, or how to manage repairs
  • a new and modern house
  • more money for things that make life happier: Travel, gifts, whatever. 

Or she can remain "poor" in her current house.

Side note. I wouldn't go down the path of a HELOC or reverse mortgage. The HELOC is more debt which doesn't seem to be a good idea, and reverse mortgages advertise on TV for a reason. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, brownboy said:

I believe in TX if you are over 65 the county can't kick you out of your home until you pass but they levy an 8% interest charge. 

Do you really want to trust that the local government and law enforcement know EXACTLY what the laws are and they won't just drag your mom out of there and maybe toss her in jail for a while? How many times have we seen cops or government folks just pull rules and regulations out of their asses and deal with the fallout later? Not a gamble I'd be willing to take.

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Do you really want to trust that the local government and law enforcement know EXACTLY what the laws are and they won't just drag your mom out of there and maybe toss her in jail for a while? How many times have we seen cops or government folks just pull rules and regulations out of their asses and deal with the fallout later? Not a gamble I'd be willing to take.

Great point. It's one thing if you need to rely on these law if you find yourself in this position. It's another to plan to go down this path as a short-term cost cutting scheme.

As others have said, this would not be tax avoidance, just tax deferral.  And at 8% I would pay the taxes rather than defer.  I'm not sure you have to pay off the mortgage to do this, but I'm not an expert.  You may be able to keep the mortgage and just tell the county you are deferring taxes.  Since the taxes are frozen, they are being eaten away by inflation now so they'll be cheaper every year.

I think the deferral is until death or until you sell the property, which ever comes first, but again I am not an expert.

There are other things to think about.  If she keeps the property until death, whoever gets it will probably get a step up in basis on the value of the house at the time of death.  It's potentially a big capital gains savings.  But, do you think she will own the home until death?  The last years of life can be expensive and difficult, particularly if you don't have a younger spouse as a caregiver.

And as an aside:

We are NOT prepared for what is coming in eldercare.  Today we are caring for folks born in the depression and early war years.  The first of the baby boom is just now getting to the point where things are really going wrong.  The first boomers are maybe five years away from the wheels coming off.  It will be rough for the middle and late boomers, because we don't have the facilities to take care of them.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

And as an aside:

We are NOT prepared for what is coming in eldercare.  Today we are caring for folks born in the depression and early war years.  The first of the baby boom is just now getting to the point where things are really going wrong.  The first boomers are maybe five years away from the wheels coming off.  It will be rough for the middle and late boomers, because we don't have the facilities to take care of them.

Best two retirement decisions if you can swing it - delay retirement (but only if you find or have found truly enjoyable work and balance that you desire) and die quickly and outside the system. 

my ex-wife’s grandfather (he was like my own grandfather and I think about him probably once a week I miss that old angler) died tending to his lawn. Here one day, gone the next. My wife’s father stroked out and is in year 2 of assisted living care with his wife and he’s now showing signs of dementia. The bill isn’t small. It very likely will deplete all their assets and mom will have to live with one of the three daughters as effectively an 85 year old dependent.

Edited by troph

I really appreciate y'alls thoughts on this and am unlikely to do it based on the responses.

A few minor details.  She's considered downsizing but says since her taxes at the new place will be based on today's valuation and she claims she'll be paying $22k/year in taxes at the places she's looking at that she can buy for cash.  Obviously she needs to downsize further.

Note that Travis county says they'll help you keep your tax savings as a senior if you move and that they charge 5% instead of 8%.

Expecting tax laws to remain the same for a decade or more is definitely risky.  Today's politicians talk about property tax relief but that can change though I wouldn't think they'd go after seniors since they vote.  Only screwing with veterans is worse.

I like the idea of the kids paying the taxes now and it's in their interest since letting it accrue at 8% leaves less to inherit in the future.

At least I got her to an estate attorney to make a will a few years ago.

Again, I appreciate the great advice.

On 9/6/2023 at 10:58 PM, Larry T. Spider said:

Wouldn’t 22k a year in property taxes have her downsized house in the 1.5 million range?

That's what I would expect.  She thinks that an $850k house is going to give her a $22k property tax bill based on a neighborhood she looked it.  This doesn't make sense and I'll try to find the specific house.  Thanks for the response.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Anyone else notice a lot of "actually FIRE people are miserable" articles recently? I'm not particularly conspiracy minded... but its almost like there is a concerted effort in business press to discourage that kind of thing. 

Being responsible with your finances isn’t really good for anyone. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2023 at 7:50 PM, CleverNickname said:

Anyone else notice a lot of "actually FIRE people are miserable" articles recently? I'm not particularly conspiracy minded... but its almost like there is a concerted effort in business press to discourage that kind of thing. 

I took off / "retired" for about nearly a year and a half. I've been working between 70-90 hours a month for a hair over 2 years now.

While I wasn't working, I finished my honey-do list, got bored of playing golf, and had almost no one to hang out with during the day in my age range (late 30s at the time, mostly only students and olds were available during the day). Check that, there were a handful of people to hang with, but you can't do a shitload of day drinking with kids <5yo and a tired wife.

I thought I would be happy when I quit, but I am an extrovert and missed the free and easy socialization that work provides. So I went back.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/15/2023 at 6:50 PM, CleverNickname said:

I don't believe it's a effort to discourage people because the extremes are just that, extremely few people. And it makes for good stories when someone is saving 90% of their income by living in a tent and remote working out of coffee shops that don't require them to buy coffee. People read those stories and can't wait to share them over dinner out with their friends, "Can you believe these people..."

I would strongly recommend someone carefully think about it before they decide to embark on a life of pursuing FIRE.

I didn’t pursue it as a concept. I just fell into it after saving a lot of money over the years and making enough money to do it.  For many people (MOST?), I don’t think they would be happy with either the accumulation phase or the FIRE phase. 

The problem is that I don’t think a person can figure it out themselves. Having gone through all of it, I think I finally have a good handle on all of the factors to consider. It’s more complex than one would think. 

image.jpeg.12e74eb815a232f6b2f72a4f371b391d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

I would strongly recommend…

It definitely looks like the accumulation phase could suck from working super hard and living like a pauper, and the RE phase could suck if you still live like a pauper to make the money stretch. Any interesting anecdotes from your journey?

11 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I would strongly recommend someone carefully think about it before they decide to embark on a life of pursuing FIRE.

I didn’t pursue it as a concept. I just fell into it after saving a lot of money over the years and making enough money to do it.  For many people (MOST?), I don’t think they would be happy with either the accumulation phase or the FIRE phase. 

The problem is that I don’t think a person can figure it out themselves. Having gone through all of it, I think I finally have a good handle on all of the factors to consider. It’s more complex than one would think. 

image.jpeg.12e74eb815a232f6b2f72a4f371b391d.jpeg

Having lived the accumulation phase and now the semi Re phase, I can say it definitely helps to have dual income earners and be upper middle class. In fact i think that is who FIRE is designed for and where you hear of most success stories. 

FIRE is not designed for the poor unfortunately. It's not for the wealthy/rich. They don't need it. It's really not for the middle class although it could work. This is where you see the extremes of FIRE and where I could see the most regret. It's really for the upper middle class.  And really all it takes is living below your means for a certain amount of years.  For me, I've lived in one of the best suburbs not only in Texas but in the US,  flower mound.  I pay 2k a month for mortgage and another 500 for bills and live in a great neighborhood. We go on 2-4 trips per year to mexico,  both resorts and family and had no cares in the world for money while saving. It honestly wasn't hard at all to do this. All it took was saving excess cash diligently each month for 7 years and avoiding lifestyle creep. I never cared to keep up with the jones. The accumulation phase was actually quite painless. As for the FIRE phase,  so far I am loving every second of it and am so proud of what I did and am now reaping the benefits. 5 days off a week is glorious and my off days are filled to the brim. 

I think dual incomes of 100k or more each can easily achieve fire in 10 years while living a comfortable mostly upper middle class life.  The dual incomes also imo relieve the stresses of money. It did for us. Our standard of living was set to 1 income. That way if one of us lost our job it wouldn't affect us. I think being the only earner could cause someone who wants to achieve fire quite a lot of pain and suffering. And all it takes is one person saving. My lovely wife spent her excess money and saved about 5k a year. It didn't make a shit. Just be sure to invest in the market. Nothing fancy. SPY or VOO will get you there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 9/15/2023 at 6:50 PM, CleverNickname said:

22 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't believe it's a effort to discourage people because the extremes are just that, extremely few people. And it makes for good stories when someone is saving 90% of their income by living in a tent and remote working out of coffee shops that don't require them to buy coffee. People read those stories and can't wait to share them over dinner out with their friends, "Can you believe these people..."

Maybe. Then again, there's a worker shortage in the united states, demographic decline, and lots of businesses are frustrated dealing with Millenials and Gen Z, who have some demands/ideas about work/life balance that don't really give with Older Gen X and Boomer generations. I hear it from people all the time, they'll try to hire a Boomer 10 out of 10 times over a Gen Z kid, becuase they know the Boomer will work on their terms. I'm sure lots of folks are happy to try and prod boomers into working as long as they can get them, and Gen X as well. 

9 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

Having lived the accumulation phase and now the semi Re phase, I can say it definitely helps to have dual income earners and be upper middle class. In fact i think that is who FIRE is designed for and where you hear of most success stories. 

FIRE is not designed for the poor unfortunately. It's not for the wealthy/rich. They don't need it. It's really not for the middle class although it could work. This is where you see the extremes of FIRE and where I could see the most regret. It's really for the upper middle class.  And really all it takes is living below your means for a certain amount of years.  For me, I've lived in one of the best suburbs not only in Texas but in the US,  flower mound.  I pay 2k a month for mortgage and another 500 for bills and live in a great neighborhood. We go on 2-4 trips per year to mexico,  both resorts and family and had no cares in the world for money while saving. It honestly wasn't hard at all to do this. All it took was saving excess cash diligently each month for 7 years and avoiding lifestyle creep. I never cared to keep up with the jones. The accumulation phase was actually quite painless. As for the FIRE phase,  so far I am loving every second of it and am so proud of what I did and am now reaping the benefits. 5 days off a week is glorious and my off days are filled to the brim. 

I think dual incomes of 100k or more each can easily achieve fire in 10 years while living a comfortable mostly upper middle class life.  The dual incomes also imo relieve the stresses of money. It did for us. Our standard of living was set to 1 income. That way if one of us lost our job it wouldn't affect us. I think being the only earner could cause someone who wants to achieve fire quite a lot of pain and suffering. And all it takes is one person saving. My lovely wife spent her excess money and saved about 5k a year. It didn't make a shit. Just be sure to invest in the market. Nothing fancy. SPY or VOO will get you there.

Definitely people, seeking to replace their income with investment income, will have an easier path if they have a high wage income with relatively low expenses. As income push downwards, the ability to save becomes more difficult since there are somewhat fixed costs in being an adult. 

Also FIRE can mean different things to different people. Does everyone not seek to be financially independent and hope to retire one day? I also believe it's a false statement to say that FIRE means to retire fully funded by 35. Someone can shoot for that, but IMO that is a very small percent of people following the tenets of FIRE. In my view, most FIRE folks are people that want the option to retire with a full replacement income by 55 but it doesn't mean they will retire.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

I think you are right. We looked into FIRE and it didn't work for us, but I love reading the experiences here. Maybe it can be for us one day, but to your point, we are a big family and a single income. Now granted my single income is basically what two upper middle class incomes would be to equal the same household income, but between having a big family and a single income, to retire early would mean to be a bit more austere than I'm comfortable with. 

Also, you bought your house at a time when it's only $2k. That same house in that same area is easily a $5-6k mortgage the past 5 years.