Jump to content
Yarbr

The Boat Fanatic Thread

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Just signed a purchase agreement. Being delivered from South Carolina...

33e9a0e6755e2e652c0c46d3bdace047.jpg

c39c5fa5d3090d93cd21377736db0fc1.jpg

Dog not included, but I already have my own.

Anyone have experience shipping a boat? I’m hiring someone through the Centurion dealer, so presumably a reputable professional. Things I should look out for? I figure I’ll get it on my insurance policy before it heads this way. Should I have it wrapped for shipping or is that unnecessary?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, unless it's ridiculously expensive, have that thing wrapped.  Having been a road warrior in a former life driving most all of the deep South, you wouldn't believe the things that would fly off of other vehicles and hit my car.  

Goddamned logging trucks around Starkville and throughout Arkansas damned near killed me on several occasions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Thanks! That color is called Pretty Penny metal flake, which looks straighter than it sounds.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

being a homo isn't as bad as you might think.  especially the lesbian kind.  so take a deep breath and just enjoy the ride.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were a little darker you could get away with calling it Longhorn orange.  Heck I think you can still refer to it as a Longhorn boat.

 

Hook 'em!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted on the Catalina 36 FB page.  Guy has his boat in Pensacola.  All was well until megayacht break loose and smashes into his dock pinning his neighbor into him.  Damage still TBD.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have friends that lost their sailing cat (sister boat to ours) in that storm. My heart breaks for them knowing that they've put a couple of years into building towards a dream and it's gone just like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that was a really nice fucking boat.

My god that was hard to watch.  Kinda Theismanesque.  

I knew it was coming and wanted to look away, but couldn't, and then 3 seconds later I wanted to puke.

Edited by Cajun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the key questions there is why in the name of everything holy would you enter a parking garage while towing a boat? Or anything, really.

Even if it was a jonboat with no clearance issues, where in the blue fuck are you going to park it?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One of the key questions there is why in the name of everything holy would you enter a parking garage while towing a boat? Or anything, really.

Even if it was a jonboat with no clearance issues, where in the blue fuck are you going to park it?  

The roof is the only answer that would even be remotely possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cajun said:

Well, that was a really nice fucking boat.

My god that was hard to watch.  Kinda Theismanesque.  

I knew it was coming and wanted to look away, but couldn't, and then 3 seconds later I wanted to puke.

when he's already hit it and guns it a second time is where I actually said "aw fuck!" out loud. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

The roof is the only answer that would even be remotely possible.

Still seems like it would require parking douchebaggery.  I'm not sure the most erstwhile and accomplished trailer handlers would want to try to back a trailer into a head-in spot in the limited confines of a parking garage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

One of the key questions there is why in the name of everything holy would you enter a parking garage while towing a boat? Or anything, really.

Even if it was a jonboat with no clearance issues, where in the blue fuck are you going to park it?  

That was what I was thinking?  In what world does it make sense to tow a boat into a covered parking structure?  Alcohol perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Still seems like it would require parking douchebaggery.  I'm not sure the most erstwhile and accomplished trailer handlers would want to try to back a trailer into a head-in spot in the limited confines of a parking garage.

The roofs on a lot of those parking garages are basically empty because everyone wants their cars under cover and out of the sun. We had a 3 story garage at the last large office I worked at, and you could have parked anything you wanted on the roof, any way you wanted to park it.  Boat parked sideways taking up 6 spots?  No problem.  Getting it up there and back down would be the issue.  If you did it after hours or on the weekend you could probably pull it off, but there would be no fucking way during  business hours.  Those turns are really tight for large SUVs when there are cars on both sides of the aisle.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, strangulation! said:

i thought about @ing him, but decided against it.

that would have been a bridge too far.

I wish you would raise your standards and stop going for the low-hanging fruit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
One of the key questions there is why in the name of everything holy would you enter a parking garage while towing a boat? Or anything, really.
Even if it was a jonboat with no clearance issues, where in the blue fuck are you going to park it?  
Lots of trailer boaters around here will head into a parking deck (hopefully after some scouting / measuring) to park a boat during a hurricane. Protects your sled from the rain (and to a lesser extent) flying debris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Anyone have any experience with these tri-hull bay boats?  Look intriguing but not sure what the benefits other than stability would be. Still run shallow?

50353671073_9b79a60e0a_b.jpg50354535377_39d70579be_b.jpg


X3 or something

They run shallow-ish, especially for the size.  Pretty good at near shore too.  It’s ALOT of glass. I always thought they were kinda over priced but maybe that’s just because they aren’t for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ordered this as an accessory to the "new" MC NXT.  I has the excite...

 

iu-3.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
Epic wakesurfing and party cove titties to come. At least that's how I dreamed it in my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Just ordered this as an accessory to the "new" MC NXT.  I has the excite...

 

iu-3.jpeg

 

Nice.  I haven't had the balls to take mine out over the lake in a boat, but the tracking mode should be fun to chase someone surfing.  Just be careful if it goes into return to home mode.  Unless you are launching from shore it might try to land in the drink. 

Edited by Anastasis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

 

Nice.  I haven't had the balls to take mine out over the lake in a boat, but the tracking mode should be fun to chase someone surfing.  Just be careful if it goes into return to home mode.  Unless you are launching from shore it might try to land in the drink. 

I was out on a boat with a guy running one last year. His got stuck in hover mode and would not move off it’s spot. When we went back to get it he was more than a little stressed trying to land it on the boat while it was rough out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

 

Nice.  I haven't had the balls to take mine out over the lake in a boat, but the tracking mode should be fun to chase someone surfing.  Just be careful if it goes into return to home mode.  Unless you are launching from shore it might try to land in the drink. 

Good tip.

The amount of boats I've seen out on Lake Austin  with these things trailing perfectly behind the wake surfer is to the point where I'm almost surprised when see a boat without one.  That coupled with the fact that I pass by close enough to see that the collective IQ of the driver and passengers in said boat is most likely under 100 gives me the courage to try.

Probably unfounded courage, but it's there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Oh, and did the boat town guys give you any guidance on setting for the NXT for setting a surf?

Yeah, my cousin took my oldest daughter and me out on Lake Austin in it last week.  He put on a full clinic with the Gen 2 gadgetry.  As usual, video doesn't capture anywhere near the full effect, but here's a short clip I took while he was showing me how the tabs work (fat sacs about half full I think)...

 

Edited by Cajun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So speaking of not knowing fuck all…

I know fuck all about surfing. I’ve never pulled a surfer and I’ve never surfed. And yet, I have a very nice surf boat being delivered shortly. Fortunately, I have at least some experience driving and trailering boats, and I’m very interested in learning. My boat has a pretty complicated surf system that I’ve been reading about on the Internet and will toy with a bunch when the boat arrives. But if anyone has recommendations on great ways to learn more than just what I can find on YouTube and FB groups, please let me know.

Also, I don’t have a lot of the equipment I’ll need. I own one very nice surfboard (which I found on the lake) and couple of things for the kids. I’m in the market for a good surf rope, a tube (and rope) , a skimboard, and a hydrofoil. Damn, those hydrofoils are $$$! At the moment I’m looking at just buying those things on Amazon, but I would love a recommendation for a better place to shop and specific brands.

Thanks!

I was thinking about buying these today:

Leader Accessories 3-Person Towable Tube, Front & Back Tow Points https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SKDFLV6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VPmzFbKZ1CNNF

SWELL Wakesurf 25' Premium Braided Rope with 10" Handle - Wake Surfing Rope https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GCRPH9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CQmzFbF08TBK3

That and my board should get us and the kids off to good start for now. Hydrofoil and skim board on the wish list.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Yeah, my cousin took my oldest daughter and me out on Lake Austin in it last week.  He put on a full clinic with the Gen 2 gadgetry.  As usual, video doesn't capture anywhere near the full effect, but here's a short clip I took while he was showing me how the tabs work (fat sacs about half full I think)...

What settings was he suggesting on the tabs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

So speaking of not knowing fuck all…

I know fuck all about surfing. I’ve never pulled a surfer and I’ve never surfed. And yet, I have a very nice surf boat being delivered shortly. Fortunately, I have at least some experience driving and trailering boats, and I’m very interested in learning. My boat has a pretty complicated surf system that I’ve been reading about on the Internet and will toy with a bunch when the boat arrives. But if anyone has recommendations on great ways to learn more than just what I can find on YouTube and FB groups, please let me know.

Also, I don’t have a lot of the equipment I’ll need. I own one very nice surfboard (which I found on the lake) and couple of things for the kids. I’m in the market for a good surf rope, a tube (and rope) , a skimboard, and a hydrofoil. Damn, those hydrofoils are $$$! At the moment I’m looking at just buying those things on Amazon, but I would love a recommendation for a better place to shop and specific brands.

Thanks!

I was thinking about buying these today:

Leader Accessories 3-Person Towable Tube, Front & Back Tow Points https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SKDFLV6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VPmzFbKZ1CNNF

SWELL Wakesurf 25' Premium Braided Rope with 10" Handle - Wake Surfing Rope https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GCRPH9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CQmzFbF08TBK3

That and my board should get us and the kids off to good start for now. Hydrofoil and skim board on the wish list.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A cooler full of white claw,  some shitty rap music played loud as fuck,  multiple pairs of white framed oakleys and complete disregard for boats anchored in a cove is generally what I see a lot of the wake boats as having.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Oakley’s? Fuck is wrong with you?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha!  The Oakleys were the big problem you identified in that description? ;)

 

 

Edited by utee94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

So speaking of not knowing fuck all…

I know fuck all about surfing. I’ve never pulled a surfer and I’ve never surfed. And yet, I have a very nice surf boat being delivered shortly. Fortunately, I have at least some experience driving and trailering boats, and I’m very interested in learning. My boat has a pretty complicated surf system that I’ve been reading about on the Internet and will toy with a bunch when the boat arrives. But if anyone has recommendations on great ways to learn more than just what I can find on YouTube and FB groups, please let me know.

Also, I don’t have a lot of the equipment I’ll need. I own one very nice surfboard (which I found on the lake) and couple of things for the kids. I’m in the market for a good surf rope, a tube (and rope) , a skimboard, and a hydrofoil. Damn, those hydrofoils are $$$! At the moment I’m looking at just buying those things on Amazon, but I would love a recommendation for a better place to shop and specific brands.

Thanks!

I was thinking about buying these today:

Leader Accessories 3-Person Towable Tube, Front & Back Tow Points https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SKDFLV6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VPmzFbKZ1CNNF

SWELL Wakesurf 25' Premium Braided Rope with 10" Handle - Wake Surfing Rope https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GCRPH9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CQmzFbF08TBK3

That and my board should get us and the kids off to good start for now. Hydrofoil and skim board on the wish list.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I buy most of my boards on evo.com or locally and then all my other crap usually comes from Overton’s. Any surf rope will work, you just want a decent handle. Depending on your kids, I would look for a 2-3 person sitting tube if they are just starting out. If they already tube, mine prefer the flat singles for the speed they can get on them and the stability and then the LeTubes if they want to get stupid. I would think someone would want to wakeboard at some point, so that plus a good line and handle will come in handy.

I keep the following on the boat: one generic kids board, one generic adult size board, a skate, and a surf board and then keep the tubes available to stop and pick up when we need them. Get a good electric pump and you can keep them on the boat and just inflate them when you are ready for them. Buy good life jackets also, that’s the main thing you need is one nice one that fits every family member and then spares in all sizes for people that come along. I keep one each from small-XXL on the boat plus ours which usually covers everyone.

Surfing is pretty straight forward but is highly boat dependent. You’re generally going to run full sacks in the front, middle, and back corner and then use whatever electronic gadgets you have to shape. Most boats pull best at 10-12, but I’ve been on some that have had to be closer to 14-15 to get the wake right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, davidg said:

A cooler full of white claw,  some shitty rap music played loud as fuck,  multiple pairs of white framed oakleys and complete disregard for boats anchored in a cove is generally what I see a lot of the wake boats as having.

We were out last weekend and some jackass was running probably 150 feet off the shoreline surfing. The lake was wide open and there are no houses on the other side of the lake, but this dipshit was running right down the docks in a new MC. I think he probably checked all the other boxes as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

You appear to have identified the joke. Mazel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK.  Cool.  Hook 'em.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We were out last weekend and some jackass was running probably 150 feet off the shoreline surfing. The lake was wide open and there are no houses on the other side of the lake, but this dipshit was running right down the docks in a new MC. I think he probably checked all the other boxes as well.

On Lake Austin, 150’ from the shoreline means you’re running 2” from the opposite shoreline.

Only a slight exaggeration.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:


On Lake Austin, 150’ from the shoreline means you’re running 2” from the opposite shoreline.

Only a slight exaggeration.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m on a decent size lake with houses only on one side. 99% of the people out there run the side with no houses when surfing and we’ll rotate if enough people are out. This guy just consistently ran the side with docks, which as a guy with a dock really irritates me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Lake Austin, 150’ from the shoreline means you’re running 2” from the opposite shoreline.

Only a slight exaggeration.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting up on a surf board is pretty easy and straight forward. Heels on the board. Boat starts to go, let your ass got your ankles and roll up. If you have ever wakeboarded, it’s really, really easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...