The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

On 10/13/2020 at 10:51 AM, Cajun said:

If you've got a dog, especially a freakin' Lab, and you're not getting that F'er out on the water with you, you're doing it wrong.

So, very very wrong.

My black lab hates the water.  She comes out on the boat but she won't get in the lake.  She won't get in the pool, either.  Not just disinterest, but actual fear/loathing or something.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

My black lab hates the water.  She comes out on the boat but she won't get in the lake.  She won't get in the pool, either.  Not just disinterest, but actual fear/loathing or something.

I had a golden who fell into a pool as a puppy over xmas.  Water was cold as shit and I had to go in and get her out as the steps were on the other end of the pool and she wasn’t swimming well.  She would have nothing to do with the water from that point forward.

23 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

It must be out of Houston or Dallas area. Never seen a 109 around these parts. Wish there was because I would be permanent crew till I took over as skipper 😄 

Lol. Out of Galveston it says. Anyhoo, they are signed up for Miami Nassau next month and I was trying to get in touch.

You have to expose the water to some dogs at very young age. We had the newest dog on the boat around 12 weeks. He’s a goldendoodle and absolutely loves it now. Our 13 year old black lab is also a obsessed with the water. Bringing both of them out actually makes going to the lake less relaxing some days because they can’t chill out. They walk all over the seats and I don’t see any damage, the Lilly pad on the other hand looks pretty rough.

@Sbbruin

Well, I'm still in the honeymoon phase, so grain of salt and all that.  I won't lie, when I open up the stall and first lock eyes on it, I don't get hit with the "damn, that's sexy" feeling like I did the Nautique.  That said, as soon as it's on the water, the engine roars, and every little thing on it works w/o a hitch, the "stoke" commences.

And the Gen 2 surf system is a lot of fun to play with.  I'm still learning, but there's something mesmerizing about trying to build just the right wake.

I'm giving my middle daughter her BDay party out there on Sunday.  Supposed to be perfect weather and I've finally gotten the courage up to try the drone over water.  Hopefully I'll have some interesting footage for you fellow Surly waterdawgs next week. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, Brew said:
Took the dog out on the pontoon yesterday just to show I’m not completely mean to the mutt. Nice day for a ride.

D4DD8BDF-5841-479D-8244-A26DF037A5EC.thumb.jpeg.207fcb7956b56a5e518a3e74f6d0640e.jpeg

He can't be trusted off the leash even on a boat?

He stays on it until we get out away from the dock and the birds, still a lot of puppy in him. Spatial awareness isn’t his strong suit either.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Cajun said:

You can tell by the body language, that peckerwood would be over the side of that party cruiser in a nanosecond if not lasso'd.

Bunch of pelicans on the end of a dock had his attention. I don’t think he would jump, but I could definitely see him bouncing from seat to seat and going right over. My wife would have a heart attack, so it’s better not to chance it. He ranks above the kids in her book.

• Hook 'Em 1

Some drone pics from our BDay party hootenanny on Canyon Lake this weekend.  I've got a nauseating story to tell you guys (boat ramp related/not me) when I get a bit more time to type.  I mean, I've still got the urps over it, but for now...

122023381_10158504168662348_7105366112163076808_o.jpg

121710183_10158504168757348_8104322472494263203_o.jpg

121703323_10158504004252348_8936570075074223801_o.jpg

121816230_10158504168597348_7016115476207647058_o.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@AnastasisI didn't that go around.  It was my first time trying out over the water and I was a bit nervous, to say the least.  The minute I got the thing up in the air my tech crack-addict daughters comandered the remote and I went back to being a boat skipper.

One of my daughter hit "record" when she had it and got a couple of vids.  Here's the raw footage on the first ---

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, blacklab said:

So the axis didn't work out as they wanted too much down, so I decided to go used and they gave me a great deal on this one

1F53F7EA-5971-4235-9141-03217C28037C.jpg

Pick it up Thursday. 

I would name that "Murder Hornet".

Just fits.

Go easy on the throttle.  Those Malibus jump.

6 minutes ago, troph said:

oh God.  here comes the "I pay cash for toys" crowd.  3...2...1...

jk

It was a comment on this thread that pushed my wife over the edge on this. I think she's more excited than I am now. I told her:

"I can always work longer and make more money, the smiles on our boys faces and the time we spend together when we go to the lake are priceless"

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, blacklab said:

It was a comment on this thread that pushed my wife over the edge on this. I think she's more excited than I am now. I told her:

"I can always work longer and make more money, the smiles on our boys faces and the time we spend together when we go to the lake are priceless"

exactly.

welcome to the club.

11 hours ago, blacklab said:

So the axis didn't work out as they wanted too much down, so I decided to go used and they gave me a great deal on this one

1F53F7EA-5971-4235-9141-03217C28037C.jpg

Pick it up Thursday. 

Just for the record, I think you won on that deal. That old school VLX will be a great do everything  boat.  I’m assuming it’s an ‘07 or ‘08 which is probably the best VLX Hull series they made. With another couple thousand pounds of weight it will throw a wake that rivals a lot more expensive boats. The classics also just look better than the new models out there. Plus you don’t spend as much time worrying about every little thing happening to it. Maybe your dogs can even go for a ride.