Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't think the GGG decision was bad at all, I could easily see it 7-5 and then the knockdown. Derev's biggest successes seemed to be to the body of GGG, but he never really committed to it. Probably because of GGG's jab (which he didn't throw enough of, considering it's the catalyst to everything else he does). Really good fight, but not sure that GGG made a good boxing decision with this new trainer. But if it puts that extra 5% (or 2%, wonder how much he's really fighting over) in his pocket, good for him, he's been about the money for a while.

Interesting that GGG likely won his two biggest fights against real boxer-punchers due to an early knockdown. This fight seemed very similar to the Daniel Jacobs fight where Jacobs was down early and had to claw back. It would make sense why they've never mentioned Andrade or Charlo's name. He better get that Canelo fight asap, before he gets any slower.

Other than the initial report that he's expected to survive, there doesn't appear to be any additional updates.  Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing as far as long term health.  Based on pics of car though he's clearly lucky to be alive so anything else is gravy.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Other than the initial report that he's expected to survive, there doesn't appear to be any additional updates.  Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing as far as long term health.  Based on pics of car though he's clearly lucky to be alive so anything else is gravy.

*disclaimer: this is unsubstantiated conjecture*

but during the mix with norm and donny today gordo hinted at some really bad news, possibly an amputation of part of an arm.  I don’t know where he got that, if it’s real, or if it has any legitimacy at all.  but he hinted toward that and I doubt he’d be joking about this tragedy. 

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

*disclaimer: this is unsubstantiated conjecture*

but during the mix with norm and donny today gordo hinted at some really bad news, possibly an amputation of part of an arm.  I don’t know where he got that, if it’s real, or if it has any legitimacy at all.  but he hinted toward that and I doubt he’d be joking about this tragedy. 

Damn that would suck.  I mean just looking at pics you had to figure odds of him boxing again were slim but confirmation will really suck if/when that comes.  Just hitting his prime and on track to be though of as one of the greats.

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Just heard an update that he had several broken teeth, some severe bruising and some serious bleeding from teeth/tongue, etc, but was expected to be fine.  But he also may be facing a DWI charge now supposedly 

jesus that would be a miracle.  again, his life is all that matters and I’m so relieved he’s alive.  that said, it would be a great thing if he can fully recover and start beating ass in the ring again. 

27 minutes ago, futureman said:

jesus that would be a miracle.  again, his life is all that matters and I’m so relieved he’s alive.  that said, it would be a great thing if he can fully recover and start beating ass in the ring again. 

That was from 1080 KRLD, so we still need to wait and see.  But yes, would be a miracle.  

2 hours ago, michaelpshayes said:

you don't come out of a crash like that the same as you were before

it’s unlikely but it happens.  in high school during a blackout I rolled my truck several times going about 80 mph on the interstate.  woke up staring at pavement through my broken driver’s side window.  crawled up and out through the passenger side window, sat on the side of the road and waited for the fuzz.  I was picking bits of glass out of my scalp for a few weeks but other than I was completely fine.  exact same as I was before.