Deej

Led Zeppelin

The Ocean is great and all, but “best” Zep song?  Nah.  I’d rank at least all of the following higher:

Good Times, Bad Times

Dazed and Confused

I Can’t Quit You, Babe

You Shook Me

Lemon Song

Whole Lotta Love

Bring it on Home

Immigrant Song

Rock ‘n Roll

Black Dog

Houses of the Holy

Dancing Days

God damn, these dudes put out some great ducking music.

Trampled Underfoot belongs up there. In My Time of Dying, too. Hell, 95% of what they released. 

Edited by Deej

Ten Years Gone is an absolutely spectacular song. Amazing. It would be the best song most bands ever recorded or released. Same with The Rain Song. 

And I doubt many people who aren't "into" Zeppelin even know those exist. 

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Clearly it’s Darlene.

Wrong. "Hot Dog"

Posted (edited)

Late to the list thing, but Hots on for Nowhere needs to be in there somewhere.

Edited by dcbc

On 9/20/2019 at 4:10 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

Ten Years Gone is an absolutely spectacular song. Amazing. It would be the best song most bands ever recorded or released. Same with The Rain Song. 

The Rain Song is my absolute favorite.  

Led Zeppelin were more than songwriters.  They were composers.

Zep was slightly before my time (born in 1970).   So I knew of them and could appreciate their songs, but I only ever listened to collections and anthologies that featured their most well-known songs.  And of course I never saw them live.

Well, I’ve gotten on a Jimmy Page kick as a player, so I recently picked up this book on Kindle and am reading it while listening to each album more thoroughly and in chronological order.

Totally different experience and a newfound appreciation for Page and the whole band, maybe particularly JPJ who was such a glue as a multi-instrumentalist. The book isn’t even that great, it definitely reveals some background to the songs and things in the mixes you might miss, but it’s got too much “And then Page played a solo that revealed why he is regarded as one of the best Rock guitarists of all time” without much elaboration.

Rather, the experience for me is different listening to where they are at a moment in time when an album is released, the feel of each album and their progression as a band and as individual musicians. I’ve come to absolutely love LZ III when maybe one of its songs would have made my top 10 Zep songs just listening to randomized collections of their music.

Anyway, it’s an interesting experience that I would recommend if you missed them in real time like I did.

The Ocean would not be my number 1 Zep song. It does have a fantastically catchy main riff that was the first Zep piece I learned to play

I might pick “Ramble On” just because it highlights so much of what they could do so well.  Mellow folksy verses, rocking chorus with a wicked Bonham back beat, Plant’s full range on display, Page soloing through a Leslie, JPJ being melodic with the bass, etc...  

Only thing it doesn’t feature is am iconic hard rock riff like Black Dog, Good Times/Bad Times, The Ocean.

8 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I only ever listened to collections and anthologies that featured their most well-known songs.  And of course I never saw them live.

Well, I’ve gotten on a Jimmy Page kick as a player, so I recently picked up this book on Kindle and am reading it while listening to each album more thoroughly and in chronological order.

I did this recently. I don't think I'd ever listened to their music in the album format it was released in (I bought the two boxed sets when they came out, so to me that running order was natural). Liked it even better that way-- it is one thing to read about how LZIII was written and positioned artistically, etc, with the greater emphasis on acoustic numbers, but hearing the evolution of their use of acoustic material from "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" on the first record to the second side of LZ3 is a whole different thing. 

Nothing is better than spending the weekend starting on track one of Zep I and listening in order all the way to the last track on Coda. 

Led Zeppelin I was basically the blueprint for a hard rock/metal (remember, back in the day this was grouped in with "metal") for a good 20 years.  It still holds up today as a solid listen front to back.  

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

remember, back in the day this was grouped in with "metal"

one of my favorite quotes-- "After <the untitled fourth album>, no one ever compared us to Black Sabbath again". John Paul Jones

On 10/6/2019 at 11:19 PM, TexArcher said:

The Rain Song is my absolute favorite.  

Led Zeppelin were more than songwriters.  They were composers.

Not Page, but this guy does a pretty good job with some of the best riffs. Still have vivid memories of sitting around one particular dive bar in college, drinking beer, and listening to LedZep riffs.

11 minutes ago, Deej said:

The cost of a six pack and a pack of smokes? I'd say yes.

Im a cheap date :P

On 9/20/2019 at 4:10 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

Ten Years Gone, Rain Song, That’s the Way are probably my 3 favorite Zepp songs.  

they have about 20 songs that would be the best song 98% of bands had ever made, and played in a long career of touring just on those songs.   The fact that their catalog is just chock full of entire albums where every song is a “no-skip” is testament to their creative greatness 

Edited by Trey3216

Zep was slightly before my time (born in 1970).   So I knew of them and could appreciate their songs, but I only ever listened to collections and anthologies that featured their most well-known songs.  And of course I never saw them live.
Totally different experience and a newfound appreciation for Page and the whole band, maybe particularly JPJ who was such a glue as a multi-instrumentalist. The book isn’t even that great, it definitely reveals some background to the songs and things in the mixes you might miss, but it’s got too much “And then Page played a solo that revealed why he is regarded as one of the best Rock guitarists of all time” without much elaboration.
Rather, the experience for me is different listening to where they are at a moment in time when an album is released, the feel of each album and their progression as a band and as individual musicians. I’ve come to absolutely love LZ III when maybe one of its songs would have made my top 10 Zep songs just listening to randomized collections of their music.
Anyway, it’s an interesting experience that I would recommend if you missed them in real time like I did.

See that’s strange to me because I was born in ‘72 and I had every album on cassette and listened to them incessantly all through high school. I bought the box sets too just to get extra songs like Travelling Riverside Blues.

Nothing is better than spending the weekend starting on track one of Zep I and listening in order all the way to the last track on Coda. 

We used to do this in college once a year. We called it LZ Lab and listened to all of the studio albums back to back. It’s almost exactly 7 hours and it helps if you have a lot of weed.

I made a Spotify playlist for it.

https://open.spotify.com/user/jackgt72/playlist/3b7rr9Ho4IKa6pUjyDFMvs?si=k-8sqwvXQOefUFYooa5ZEw

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

and it helps if you have a lot of weed.

I didn't think that even needed to be said.

Oh, and even longer if you listen to the latest reissues.

Edited by Deej

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

See that’s strange to me because I was born in ‘72 and I had every album on cassette and listened to them incessantly all through high school. I bought the box sets too just to get extra songs like Travelling Riverside Blues.

Might have been where I grew up (small town west Texas).  By the time my peers and I started to get into hard rock/heavy metal Zep was disbanded and we were listening to Van Halen, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:37 PM, Deej said:

This was by far the best part of that Kennedy Center tribute.  My allergies acted up watching this.

Heart did such a fantastic job. The choir wearing the bowlers was a nice touch.