Jump to content
Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×
Sbbruin

Ozark- Netflix

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I’m finally trying to finish off season 2, currently on episode 8. I don’t see myself watching season 3 because I just don’t find it that enjoyable. There are 2 main reasons:

1. I don’t like any of the characters. Wendy has become insufferable and a beating to watch her scenes, the Snells are horrible people, Ruth is a whiny hillbilly brat who has been completely deflated since her father’s return, Rachel is a junkie narc, and Agent Perry is pathetic and incompetent. Marty is still ok except that every scene with him is wide eyed panic mode and it’s growing tired. I like shows with a dark tone as long as they give me someone to root for (i.e. Jesse in BB) and Ozark has me wishing that every character would die, except the kids of course.

2. The plot is slightly less believable than watching Mary Poppins pull a grand piano out of her bag. This was a criticism I had of season 1 but I decided to give the show a second chance, then it only got worse. Let’s see...
-Building a casino for the mutual benefit of a Mexican drug cartel, redneck opioid farmers, and Arkansas businessman/politician
-Building a casino on land that is actively used for illegal drug production and has multiple murder victims buried
-Inserting oneself into state politics overnight to have a bill passed to legalize the building of a casino
-Digging up old bones and magically sneaking them into the medical examiner’s office in place of other bones
-Convincing CPS to give you someone else’s baby in the middle of the night
-Killing the father of said baby and writing it off as though he fled town
-A twelve year old kid laundering $1.8MM through an offshore account

My eyes roll so much that I’m dizzy by the end of an episode. Shows like Breaking Bad and The Americans would put their characters in perilous situations and then create clever escapes for them. Ozark tries to do that but the writers lack the ability to keep anything grounded in reality and the Byrdes survival has become comical. Maybe the next time Marty is backed into a corner, he can forecast the Powerball numbers to pay off some debts. Or turn into a werewolf and eat Darlene Snell. I can suspend disbelief but only so much.

I’ll read back through the thread when I finish the season.

most of this is classic "season two" issue stuff.  

s1 was a success, which was a surprise to some.  then they have to pull it together for s2.  so just like a movie sequel, they want to up the stakes, and make everything a little crazier, which essentially means totally abandoning the formula that made season 1 work.  they also tried to shift it to make bateman break down and linney take charge (#metoo) which changed the dynamic and although the actors are fine, the writing couldn't carry it.

i've said this on multiple threads, but there is a long and growing list of season 2's from streaming services that really disappointed in the past 12-18 months.  several of which were likely never meant to be multiple season shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fentanyl is orders of magnitude more powerful than most opiates/oids and is dosed in micrograms while others in milligrams.  So a very small amount would suffice to render a gram, ounce or even kilo of heroin a fatal hotshot.  However, I don't believe it comes in pill form, so that was BS.


Where’d ya learn that Cheech, drug school??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

most of this is classic "season two" issue stuff.  

s1 was a success, which was a surprise to some.  then they have to pull it together for s2.  so just like a movie sequel, they want to up the stakes, and make everything a little crazier, which essentially means totally abandoning the formula that made season 1 work.  they also tried to shift it to make bateman break down and linney take charge (#metoo) which changed the dynamic and although the actors are fine, the writing couldn't carry it.

i've said this on multiple threads, but there is a long and growing list of season 2's from streaming services that really disappointed in the past 12-18 months.  several of which were likely never meant to be multiple season shows.

Same thing kinda happens in the music industry. New band pops up on the national scene and everybody likes all of their stuff. Thing is, that band has been working at it for ten years and their first big album kinda combines all of their best stuff from the last ten years. So all the sudden they have to come out with a new album the next year or so and it kinda sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just starting Season 2 now.  Linney is a fine actress but damn her face looks like it was carved from Ivory soap and her legs are just as super white.  She just seems miscast because Marty’s character would have married someone much more attractive than her.  Ruth is perfect casting but Wendy’s horse face is really hard to take. Speaking of being unrealistic, how the hell can someone can have toenails removed by pliers only to be walking around just fine in shoes in the next scene?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They really need to stop taking so fucking long between seasons.  I have to rewatch season 2, or at least the last couple episodes, just to remember wtf is going on.  And I dig the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Linney is not cute or hot or pretty but she's certainly attractive if you are going for the whole package.

Fell in love with her in "You Can Count on Me".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Young Linney was highly girl next door fuckable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's not her fault that they cast her alongside the Thinking Man's Paul Rudd---Jason Bateman who is aging incredibly well (no homo, nttawwt).  They have a good sinister chemistry together and you can tell they despise each other yet are still attracted to another through the stress of the situation.  But yeah, they maybe shoulda second guessed casting a wife for him that's biologically 5 years older than he is and when they already knew a few years ago that he was aging well and she was not.  But maybe it's supposed to show the stress of their predicament that it's aging her faster than him because he's still (somewhat) in control.  

I'm guessing Bateman had a hand in it though because he basically invented the show and got it off the ground.  I dunno, I'm just excited it's back but as stated above I am really foggy on the second season it was so damn long ago.  I do remember though just getting exhausted of him constantly inventing a crisis, racing to solve it, and then on to the next thing.  The cartel's lawyer ended up being the most interesting character of Season 2.  

Edited by Lobo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2020 at 10:10 AM, Lobo said:

  I do remember though just getting exhausted of him constantly inventing a crisis, racing to solve it, and then on to the next thing.  The cartel's lawyer ended up being the most interesting character of Season 2.  

 

Yeah, that's kind of the problem with the show is they have no where to go but to crank up the crazy and idiotic situations to get into and out of so easily.

All of them should have been dead at least 15 different times by now for their actions but yet here we are. Don't get me wrong I love the show but you really just have to embrace the crazy ride and ignore the laughable plot holes and real world consequences of their choices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy shit the pivot Linney takes in Ep 3 is fanfuckingtastic! That was masterful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 12:48 PM, henrygandorf said:

most of this is classic "season two" issue stuff.  

s1 was a success, which was a surprise to some.  then they have to pull it together for s2.  so just like a movie sequel, they want to up the stakes, and make everything a little crazier, which essentially means totally abandoning the formula that made season 1 work.  they also tried to shift it to make bateman break down and linney take charge (#metoo) which changed the dynamic and although the actors are fine, the writing couldn't carry it.

i've said this on multiple threads, but there is a long and growing list of season 2's from streaming services that really disappointed in the past 12-18 months.  several of which were likely never meant to be multiple season shows.

I’m in ep 6 of season 3 and wondering why I’m still watching. Reminds me of the latter seasons of SOA, why the fuck am I still watching this shit. Everyone is a fucking idiot.

maybe it will get better 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Season 3 is just dumb. The brother all the sudden has mental issues?  Oh well beats watching some foreign language series. Maybe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even the daylight scenes are so dark I can barely tell what’s going on.

I think I’m less into this season because there is enough grim shit going on in the world right now, I don’t need to seek it out as entertainment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 12:03 PM, wild_turkey said:

I’m finally trying to finish off season 2, currently on episode 8. I don’t see myself watching season 3 because I just don’t find it that enjoyable. There are 2 main reasons:

1. I don’t like any of the characters. Wendy has become insufferable and a beating to watch her scenes, the Snells are horrible people, Ruth is a whiny hillbilly brat who has been completely deflated since her father’s return, Rachel is a junkie narc, and Agent Perry is pathetic and incompetent. Marty is still ok except that every scene with him is wide eyed panic mode and it’s growing tired. I like shows with a dark tone as long as they give me someone to root for (i.e. Jesse in BB) and Ozark has me wishing that every character would die, except the kids of course.

2. The plot is slightly less believable than watching Mary Poppins pull a grand piano out of her bag. This was a criticism I had of season 1 but I decided to give the show a second chance, then it only got worse. Let’s see...
-Building a casino for the mutual benefit of a Mexican drug cartel, redneck opioid farmers, and Arkansas businessman/politician
-Building a casino on land that is actively used for illegal drug production and has multiple murder victims buried
-Inserting oneself into state politics overnight to have a bill passed to legalize the building of a casino
-Digging up old bones and magically sneaking them into the medical examiner’s office in place of other bones
-Convincing CPS to give you someone else’s baby in the middle of the night
-Killing the father of said baby and writing it off as though he fled town
-A twelve year old kid laundering $1.8MM through an offshore account

My eyes roll so much that I’m dizzy by the end of an episode. Shows like Breaking Bad and The Americans would put their characters in perilous situations and then create clever escapes for them. Ozark tries to do that but the writers lack the ability to keep anything grounded in reality and the Byrdes survival has become comical. Maybe the next time Marty is backed into a corner, he can forecast the Powerball numbers to pay off some debts. Or turn into a werewolf and eat Darlene Snell. I can suspend disbelief but only so much.

I’ll read back through the thread when I finish the season.

Due to peer pressure, I re-started season two. I agree. My biggest problem is there is no one to root for - Mason was it until <spoiler>Wendy</spoiler>. When the cartel lawyer and a former mob hitman are your favorite characters and the only ones that seem honest, it is a pretty bad cast of clowns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 10:12 PM, Buzzrock said:

Man this show has some severe women

Darlene may be one of the craziest chicks on TV ... ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

that second to last episode got harder and harder to watch. 

I just finished it. You could see that coming from 30 minutes out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I just finished it. You could see that coming from 30 minutes out.

an episode out but i started feeling sorry for the guy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben is a terrible character and is ruining the season for me. He’s the opposite of a deus ex machina. Only two episodes left thank goodness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought when the brother was first introduced that he would end up fucking the lawyer’s daughter and get killed for it. I still love this show but damn one episode where everything doesn’t turn to shit would be nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just finished s3 this morning.

i never bought into the Ben character being related to Wendy with the shitty over the top hick accent.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Ben is a terrible character and is ruining the season for me. He’s the opposite of a deus ex machina. Only two episodes left thank goodness.

pretty much what i said every episode.  i liked it more when jason bateman was the star.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Way too much Ben. I had to turn it off when he was in the cab blabbering in the opening scene, you know which episode. Overall, nice show, but I can't binge it or else I'd go nuts like Ben

Edited by hundredTT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

pretty much what i said every episode.  i liked it more when jason bateman was the star.

Bateman is tailor made for that character, all they have to do is embrace that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, hundredTT said:

Way too much Ben. I had to turn it off when he was in the cab blabbering in the opening scene, you know which episode. Overall, nice show, but I can't binge it or else I'd go nuts like Ben

They're always dropping in simpleton political comments, so I'm sure was meant to be some subtle commentary on gun violence and mental illness. Fortunately, I've never had to deal with serious mental illness, but many I wanted to call Helen and tell her where Ben is just to get him off the show. He needed maybe 20 minutes not three full episodes.

I am pulling for Marty and Maya to get together.

Edited by Kyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Nelson/Frank Jackson is one cold-hearted motherfucker.

Anton Chigurh level of no fucks given.

lol at helen for thinking that heartless SOB would tell her if her hit was coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one that thinks Ben is still alive? Covered body+off screen death.....Hmm...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I can ever remember a show with more plot holes and utter silliness than Ozark. I love Bateman, and (not a critic) I guess the acting is pretty good ... but the plot / writing. I could believe a kid gets bit by a nuclear spider and because an Avenger more readily than this story.

Spoiler

So guessing Helen did it to herself by moving against the Byrdes, and when they won the War they won the war ... she did not really do anything to Navarro per se. Kind of felt bad for her. She actually tried to do right by Navarro and her kids, even her ex-husband. Seems like her biggest character flow was lack of a good brassiere shop. She was kind of a bitch, but she had a code. Even by the end, Darlene was sort of redeemed - she has a code. We used to live in rural Missouri - that code is very real.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one that thinks Ben is still alive? Covered body+off screen death.....Hmm...

 



Yes you’re the only one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

 


Yes you’re the only one.

 

It was mysterious how they show so much violence to every character but didn’t show that. But I don’t see what purpose it’d serve to have that person back. Why would that person have been spared?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...