Hey Steel Shank!

Judge Roybeanbag

On 7/11/2021 at 4:16 PM, Brisketexan said:

Crispy tots, slightly smushed, are a solid addition to any sandwich or taco.

Folow-up: just did a week at the beach with extended family.  As a treat, I made potato egg and cheese tacos one morning.  Technique was 1) heat entire bag of tots in oven till crispy, make a line of tots on each tortilla, smush down, add eggs and cheese.  The audience was amazed, impressed, and enjoyed the deliciousness.  AND, they hammered the tots that didn't make it into tacos, because everyone loves tots.

1 hour ago, Atxracer said:

This is fantastic.  Everytime I see it I want a James Coney Island. Do we have something similar in Austin?

We USED to have a JCI on Congress avenue.  My wife and I are Houston natives, and she's a lifelong hot dog fan.  We even went there for her birthday one year.  She was quite upset when they closed.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Atxracer said:

This is fantastic.  Everytime I see it I want a James Coney Island. Do we have something similar in Austin?

There once was a James Coney Island on Congress that didn’t survive (terrible location for cheap food). Sadly I have found no serious imitations in ATX as of yet. Not to say there aren’t some good dogs, just nothing like JCI. 

41 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

There once was a James Coney Island on Congress that didn’t survive (terrible location for cheap food). Sadly I have found no serious imitations in ATX as of yet. Not to say there aren’t some good dogs, just nothing like JCI. 

Bummer.  Houston native here too and I would vary rarely eat there but when you get that itch, there's not much that will scratch it.  What are some good hot dog places here?  I think there used to be a trailer on 620 but it either caught fire or shut down.

4 hours ago, mchookem said:

last night's air fried grouper, flash reheated in a scalding cast iron skillet, leftover corn salad and vinegar slaw mixed together, avocado and TJ's creamy jalapeno sauce. bottom tortilla toasted to tostada crispness.

20210719_162123.jpg

Repped but that belongs in the high falutin stuff I cooked lately thread. 😅

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1