"What are you in for?" "I gave a customer a plastic straw."

Beau Vine

On 7/26/2018 at 4:32 PM, elfenix said:

the sorting machines aren't good with dealing with something that small, apparently.

They float the plastic to separate or hand separate with labor. I think the issue is they are single use. The answer is to keep them and find a use for them. They are great for lighting Campfires, just like potatochip bags.

I don't know much about the war on straws, but is it just part of the general war on disposable plastic

Yes. Some 9 year old did some rough math for a project and outraged everyone. [FYI-I am in favor of cutting waste and trash and only use straws to snort because dolla billz so dirty]

"Plastic pollution in the ocean is a real problem, but only about 1 percent of it comes from the U.S. Of that 1 percent, only a tiny fraction comes from plastic straws.

How can that be? Celebrities tell us Americans use 500 million plastic straws every day. "Polluting water and killing sea life," according to actor Adrian Grenier.

The 500 million number is repeatedly used by the media. But it comes from a nine-year-old's school project. The real number is much less—closer to 175 million."
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Why does anyone who has outgrown diapers need a straw?

My mom has super sensitive teeth and gums, so she uses a straw when drinking cold liquids.  But she has several reusable straws that she takes with her, and washes them after each use.  

21 hours ago, woohorn said:

Yes. Some 9 year old did some rough math for a project and outraged everyone. [FYI-I am in favor of cutting waste and trash and only use straws to snort because dolla billz so dirty]

"Plastic pollution in the ocean is a real problem, but only about 1 percent of it comes from the U.S. Of that 1 percent, only a tiny fraction comes from plastic straws.

How can that be? Celebrities tell us Americans use 500 million plastic straws every day. "Polluting water and killing sea life," according to actor Adrian Grenier.

The 500 million number is repeatedly used by the media. But it comes from a nine-year-old's school project. The real number is much less—closer to 175 million."

I read about the source of those stats too. Amazing. 

I don’t use straws so really don’t care and I’m sure paper straws can be made to function acceptably. 

My question is what will be the next source of outrage?  What’s the next product that was fine a week ago but now you are “literally Hitler” for using? 

How much is Starbucks charging for those straws?  They won’t be able to sleep at night until you daily coffee costs more than $10 a pop. 

• Like 2

My question is what will be the next source of outrage?  What’s the next product that was fine a week ago but now you are “literally Hitler” for using?

You DON'T want to know, trust me...

"Whataburger's signature orange and white cups are an iconic symbol of Texas' beloved fast-food chain, but an environmental advocacy group is calling on the company to discontinue them."

https://m.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Environmental-advocacy-group-calls-on-Whataburger-13031320.php

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:03 AM, Alien Octopus said:

They float the plastic to separate or hand separate with labor. I think the issue is they are single use. The answer is to keep them and find a use for them. They are great for lighting Campfires, just like potatochip bags.

Why not make fish traps out of them?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, po elvis said:

went thru chic-fil-a drive thru for lunch. the girl asked me if i wanted a straw. i told her "no, i will be good today". she did a little dance with a fist pump. aw young ones these days. saving the world one straw at a time.

You spelled dumb wrong

Edited by HaroldBS

I read about the source of those stats too. Amazing. 
I don’t use straws so really don’t care and I’m sure paper straws can be made to function acceptably. 

How much is Starbucks charging for those straws?  They won’t be able to sleep at night until you daily coffee costs more than $10 a pop. 

I saw a picture of a sea turtle with a plastic 3d printed gun stuck in its nose. Heartbreaking.

Taco Deli "banned" straws about a month or so ago, displaying a sign by the fountain drink station explaining their decision under the header "The Last Straw." But they half-assed their "ban". They'll still give you one on request. The one I frequent the most (N Lamar) even keeps a big tin full of straws right next to the cash register. I never even bother asking. I just reach over and grab one on my way out while staring at the guy behind the register.

56 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Taco Deli "banned" straws about a month or so ago, displaying a sign by the fountain drink station explaining their decision under the header "The Last Straw." But they half-assed their "ban". They'll still give you one on request. The one I frequent the most (N Lamar) even keeps a big tin full of straws right next to the cash register. I never even bother asking. I just reach over and grab one on my way out while staring at the guy behind the register.

You should take all of them and tell the cashier that “I’m taking the last straw”.  Then drop the mic and walkout 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

At alamo drafthouse the other night.

Me: where's my straw?

Waiter: we are starting a straw free initiative.

Me: then what am I supposed to stick in my penis during the movie?

Sure you didn't mean stick your penis in ?

Heeeeeey ooooooooh......

• Like 1

The only paper straw manufacturer in America sold yesterday for an undisclosed sum. Last year sales were up over 5000%.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/07/news/companies/alternative-straws/index.html

Aardvark was acquired yesterday by Hoffmaster Group, a maker of premium disposable tableware. Financial terms were not disclosed.

The straw maker, which grew sales by 5000% last year, had been struggling to keep up with demand since the tide turned against plastic drinking straws. Hoffmaster will bring welcome resources.

"In the coming months, we will aggressively ramp up Aardvark's manufacturing capacity to meet the rapidly accelerating demand for paper straws," the company said in a statement.

Demand has increased because of an environmental movement to eliminate single use plastics. It's estimated that there will be more plastic than fish in the oceans by 2050.

On 8/8/2018 at 5:05 PM, RPM said:

The only paper straw manufacturer in America sold yesterday for an undisclosed sum. Last year sales were up over 5000%.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/07/news/companies/alternative-straws/index.html

Aardvark was acquired yesterday by Hoffmaster Group, a maker of premium disposable tableware. Financial terms were not disclosed.

The straw maker, which grew sales by 5000% last year, had been struggling to keep up with demand since the tide turned against plastic drinking straws. Hoffmaster will bring welcome resources.

"In the coming months, we will aggressively ramp up Aardvark's manufacturing capacity to meet the rapidly accelerating demand for paper straws," the company said in a statement.

Demand has increased because of an environmental movement to eliminate single use plastics. It's estimated that there will be more plastic than fish in the oceans by 2050.

Nice, get rid of all disposable plastics that do not bio degrade.  It will have an immediate impact on our environment, the one we continually destroy in the name of progress.