RollLeft

Covers Good and Bad

11 minutes ago, Cajun said:

And the way he handles the cops bitching about it being too loud during the solo is allsome.

Looked like he just twisted some random knob on the mixing board for his vocals, LOL.

Yeah, that it did.  

I think those cops knew they’d better say their piece and then clear out quick or risk a beating from the crowd listening.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

We'll just have to disagree there.  I mean, I don't like Ariana's music, but for pity's sake, she is a technical wizard.  Same goes for Brandi and Gaga.

Problem with, say, Ariana is she has tools, but feels the need to incorporate every single one of those tools into every single fucking note.  This broad has tools too, but knows when and when not to use them.  That’s part of being a good technician.  Kinda like Gilmour knowing where silence is powerful.  Gaga gets that.  Ariana?  Shit, she’s got a looong way to go in that department.  The old, “It’s not enough to know which notes to play, you gotta know WHY they need to be played” spirit.

Somewhere out there is a prominent voice coach breaking down Reinhardt doing Creep.  Same coach breaks down Ariana, Gaga, and some of the others discussed.  You can tell after watching her vocal “autopsy” the one that really grabs her by the boo boo is Haley.  

If I come across it I’ll post it up.

I'd like to see that.  I'm not disagreeing about the over-the-top Mariah Jr. approach Ariana takes, by the way, but you said "technical", which is usually taken as distinct from taste and style.

Yeah, I know, I'm conflating the two.

To me not overusing the tools is technical, but technically I concede it is not.

Here ya go Jimmy.  This doesn't prove anything really (and I don't intend that) but it's interesting if nothing else.

I've seen others where she critiques/reacts and she doesn't pan anyone, it's usually all positive, but she gets into this one more than on any other I've watched.

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I wouldn't mind "vocal coach" doing a "drop and lock" on my meat. 

You need to get into her weekly course...

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Damn @jinx Goosebumps starting at about 3:00 in the second video.

Bobby Britt has a cool story.   I am a HUGE Mandolin Orange fan, so that makes his story cooler to me.  Lots of surgery for his cleft palate.  I've seen videos where he is wearing a piece to hold his violin against to keep it off of his chin.

https://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/article218408195.html

I really enjoyed these guys last time they were in ATX...

Edited by Cajun

Most would consider this a cover . . . in point of fact, Daryl Hall actually wrote the tune, but Paul Young made it a monster hit.  Still, I'm calling it a cover because Elle King sings the daylights out of it.  I really like her, she is a unique and extraordinarily talented modern pop artist.  Make sure you listen to the track from 7:00 on, or you'll miss her real fireworks.  (As an aside, I think Brian Dunne is a criminally underrated drummer.  He has a massive pocket to his playing, WAY on the back side of 2 and 4 when he feels it.  He's gotta be one of the easiest drummers in the world to play with.)

I tried to focus on the drummer, but that broad kept stealing my attention back.

Holy shit!

23 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I tried to focus on the drummer, but that broad kept stealing my attention back.

Holy shit!

Do you know who her Dad is?  Hint:

Image result for oh no we suck again meme

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Do you know who her Dad is?  Hint:

Image result for oh no we suck again meme

Ed Orgeron?