¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

8 hours ago, Deej said:

Dog got bit in the yard last night. Never saw it. Vet thinks it was a copperhead. 

Fuck, sounds like she's OK though !!!  

Our vet said copperhead bites are about the least venomous bite out there.   He hasn't seen a single death by bite yet of a normal sized dog 50 lbs and up, and relatively healthy.  

We found one last year in our backyard, got rid of him, but where there's one there's often more.  I've been waiting for our dog to come in yelping.  Have a bottle of Benadryl at the ready.

8 hours ago, Deej said:

Dog got bit in the yard last night. Never saw it. Vet thinks it was a copperhead. 

Our vet said copperhead bites are about the least venomous bite out there.   He hasn't seen a single death by bite yet of a normal sized dog 50 lbs and up, and relatively healthy.  

We found one last year in our backyard, got rid of him, but where there's one there's often more.  I've been waiting for our dog to come in yelping.  Have a bottle of Benadryl at the ready.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Knew a guy who had his daughter (6) bitten by a copperhead. She was fine but scary shit. I used to run where a bunch live and would see one about ever 4 or 5 trips. I wonder how many did I almost step on and never see?

23 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Knew a guy who had his daughter (6) bitten by a copperhead. She was fine but scary shit. I used to run where a bunch live and would see one about ever 4 or 5 trips. I wonder how many did I almost step on and never see?

They apparently account for the most snake bites in the US.  If you get bit, you definitely should get medical attention, however, it is extremely unlikely that a bite form a copperhead will be life threatening. 

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

They apparently account for the most snake bites in the US.  If you get bit, you definitely should get medical attention, however, it is extremely unlikely that a bite form a copperhead will be life threatening. 

Yeah doc said they don't use antivenom for it anymore. Not worth it.

10 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Seems like it matters where the dog gets bitten too. 

It does.  One of my dachshunds came in one morning a few years back with swollen jowls .  The wife and I start looking around, see two red marks that look a snek bite on his snout, and take him to our vet.  The vet looks at him over, says he probably got too close to a copperhead, and tells us to given him a children's benadryl.  He was better later that day. Vet said dogs usually get bit on the snout (as they investigate stuff with their nose), and, since that part of their body is mainly skin and cartilage, the venom can't get into the blood stream.  He'd have been in trouble had the bite been anywhere else.  

Hope your girl feels better soon, deej.

Edited by Dutch

Day two. Haven't found the bastard. I carry a sidearm when out in the yard, now, in case I stumble upon it.
Probably a good idea generally, considering the neighborhood.

If you want to find it, you will have better luck at night or in the morning. I’d say relocate it, but you do you. If you have anything in the yard like wood or large stones laying around? If so, good chance it’s under there. Especially if the cover has been there longer than a year and any vegetation under it is dead.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

If you want to find it, you will have better luck at night or in the morning. I’d say relocate it, but you do you. If you have anything in the yard like wood or large stones laying around? If so, good chance it’s under there. Especially if the cover has been there longer than a year and any vegetation under it is dead.

I'm sure it's in the wood pile. I treated it with snake repellent, in hopes it might move on. Ain't fucking with trying to relocate it. 

Animated GIF

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Tie a mouse to a string, place mouse at end of a board. Balance board above a trash can full of water. Connect car battery to copper wire wrapped around the board. When snake and mouse tumble into trash can, you’ve completed step one of making a roux. 

Well look at the MacGyver brain on this motherfucker, will ya.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Tie a mouse to a string, place mouse at end of a board. Balance board above a trash can full of water. Connect car battery to copper wire wrapped around the board. When snake and mouse tumble into trash can, you’ve completed step one of making a roux. 

This mother fucker has seen eaten some shit. 

Easy like Sunday morning Snek

Wife was out watering some of her plants with the hose...   10 minutes she later came running into the house

IMG_0643_zpsft9uw26m.jpg

See the hose bib (yellow) ... she was in the middle of turning off the water... lulz

Better pic..

IMG_0645_zpsej2eivb8.jpg

pretty sure that's the same Southern Black Racer I saw a few weeks 

Snek is back, back again...   same place, just chillin'

I didn't want to, but I asked my wife if she wanted me to give it a nice shovel massage.  To my great surprise she said no, leave him alone.  I guess maybe she listened when I told her it'll eat bugs and other sneks.   Iguanas, on the other hand, she wants quickly dispatched and turned in fertilizer.

They're not bitey, and they look pretty cool, but they do eat all your plants and flowers, take huge dumps on the pool deck, undermine your foundation, dig up your roof tiles etc...  

you wouldn't want to fuck around with a big one...  They have serious claws...  but they run away.  There is one in my yard that's getting close to 4.5ft long (tip to tail)  As soon as he hears the door open, he's GONE

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

They're not bitey, and they look pretty cool, but they do eat all your plants and flowers, take huge dumps on the pool deck, undermine your foundation, dig up your roof tiles etc...  

you wouldn't want to fuck around with a big one...  They have serious claws...  but they run away.  There is one in my yard that's getting close to 4.5ft long (tip to tail)  As soon as he hears the door open, he's GONE

Florida on iguanas.  Kill with extreme prejudice.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/03/green-iguana-florida-says-kill-them-whenever-possible/1637307001/