Andrew Fitzgerald is giving up football

texifornia

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Light just never came on for him, unfortunately. Good luck to him in his studies.

I suspect this may be a trend for players who are in the middle of the pack but also want (and have the means and intellect) to focus on their education. Given the academic competition to get into certain schools on campus (i.e. business) and the year round demands of being in the football program I can see where some sober thinking about where best to invest ones energies is a smart move. With 40 years of post college hindsight, I wish I had worked harder and focused more on school. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I think 247 had him rated really high, not sure what his composite was though.

His composite ended up around 91.  He's shockingly quick for his size is why he turned so many heads.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

A lot of folks thought we got a sleeper. Turns out we were right. He just kept right on sleeping. 

i never saw it. typically if you look back at film on sleepers that turn out good, you see an explosiveness (i.e. Roach). he didn't show any of that. glad for him that he used the opportunity though to hopefully get a degree from UT.

In reality, I'm sure Fitzgerald was counseled out by being told what his options were. Either show up to compete at the position that we think is the most likely to be productive for you, or graduate, or transfer. The guy wasn't getting it done on the field and they're not running a fucking charity. Any program worth a fuck is shooting straight with kids and holding them accountable to this level. I expect we'll hear about position switches or more decisions to stop playing or transfer either in the next few days or directly after the season, and then before and after spring, and then during every fall camp period. It's kind of stunning to see that there is any reaction, whatsoever, negative to this.

• Like 1

I don't know what to think about that.

The 3-deep TE does see the field more than the 3-deep DEs do.  However, Leitao had positive buzz in practice.  However-however, Cummins did just get injured.  Also, Ossai maybe developing quickly?

Maybe a grain of truth to it?

13 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I don't know what to think about that.

The 3-deep TE does see the field more than the 3-deep DEs do.  However, Leitao had positive buzz in practice.  However-however, Cummins did just get injured.  Also, Ossai maybe developing quickly?

Maybe a grain of truth to it?

grain? It sounds entirely plausible. I just can't figure out why Foreman or anyone would think there's anything wrong with doing it.

6 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

So with all these guys quitting / transferring, what do the numbers look like for 2019?

Texas will sign 25-28 guys and the 85 man limit was never going to be an issue. Without anyone else leaving, but including Demarco Boyd and Grandy as removed from the team, the count right now is at like 22 available scholarships for 2019. There will certainly be more than 6 more people leaving between now and August 2019.