Cord Cutters Thread

On 9/10/2018 at 4:03 PM, fuggled said:

I tried Direct TV Now this past weekend to watch the Tulsa game and it was really disappointing (beyond the product on the field).

I had the game recorded and was several minutes behind live TV. When I would fast forward, it wouldn't show how close to live TV I was getting and it would show the game as it was fast forwarding. It would also take forever to buffer and restart the game when I would fast forward. Literally fast forward 15 seconds and then wait 30 seconds for it to start playing again. Also didn't seem to have an obvious way to switch over to the live game. I tried once and when I came back to the DVR, it restarted from the beginning. Better yet it screwed up and said there were -586337842 hours remaining in the recording, so trying to find my spot was impossible.

Is this just the suck you get with a cloud based DVR? I was watching on a Fire Stick, so maybe some of this is just a limitation of that interface. Regardless, it was awful and I'm cancelling before my 7 day trial is up.

Yeah it could be your hardware, FireStick is one of the under-powered devices. I was using an AppleTV and didn't have that issue. Yeah it's still not the smoothest, but it's useable.

Good to know. I thought about trying to watch on a laptop, but was too lazy. I may give it another shot next football season.

Yeah it could be your hardware, FireStick is one of the under-powered devices. I was using an AppleTV and didn't have that issue. Yeah it's still not the smoothest, but it's useable.

DTV NOW DVR response - Now at a PC..  It sucks.  I haven't tried the others, as I am on a grandfathered plan.  But it does suck, compared to traditional.  I have come across the neverending time frame when watching something while recording.  Hopefully they will fix it.  Mine still says Beta DVR.  It still takes quite a bit to bring up the guide or whatever.  It seems like they would put some stuff locally, to make it faster in the cloud.  It is still sort of new, but it seems like it has been long enough for them to work that out....

I also hate, and It think this is the same on all services, no channel  numbers, so no chance for remotes. and no last button.  It makes it hard to switch between 2 games.

Edited by BNB

Any recent data points on how much people are paying for internet only through Spectrum in Austin?  I am cutting the cord this week and am curious what I should be pushing for when I make the call.  We don't watch much tv, and when I looked at the programming option on Youtube TV, it looked like a no-brainer considering how many sports channels there are.  About the only thing I'll miss is Food Network, and the reality is I can watch episodes on You Tube (not youtube tv) if I really want to.

I started studying my bill, and I pay $75 after taxes for cable boxes, DVR, and "local TV and sports programming".  This doesn't include the $99 I pay for bundled Internet and TV.  You Tube TV is $42 after taxes, but I'm curious what I should be shooting for when it comes to Internet only plans from Spectrum.  For reference, I currently have the Extreme plan (100 Mbps down), and it is perfectly fine for what we do so I plan to stay at that level.

On 9/12/2018 at 9:24 PM, BNB said:

DTV NOW DVR response - Now at a PC..  It sucks.  I haven't tried the others, as I am on a grandfathered plan.  But it does suck, compared to traditional.  I have come across the neverending time frame when watching something while recording.  Hopefully they will fix it.  Mine still says Beta DVR.  It still takes quite a bit to bring up the guide or whatever.  It seems like they would put some stuff locally, to make it faster in the cloud.  It is still sort of new, but it seems like it has been long enough for them to work that out....

I also hate, and It think this is the same on all services, no channel  numbers, so no chance for remotes. and no last button.  It makes it hard to switch between 2 games.

There is a reason this is a lot cheaper than cable.  But it's getting better.

I have a Roku 4k Ultra and I prefer the remote 100x more than my Uverse remote.  It's simple.  We don't need channel #s.  Have them in alphabetical order and you can create your own list of favorites.  Plus this has a tv power button + volume keys.  I only need 1 remote!  This is bad-ass compared to the Fire stick (which I have in my gameroom) and there is no volume key.  You still need your tv remote.

And when I turn on the tv, it goes straight to the Roku home screen.  My kids don't watch Directv Now; they watch Amazon Prime or the Cartoon  Network app (which we sign into using DTV Now user/pass).  It's more intuitive.  We don't need to change inputs unless I want to watch my BluRay which is rare.  

51eHEzxJgrL._SY355_.jpg

My big knock on DTV Now is the DVR sucks.  And it shouldn't.  This is cloud-based.  Should be even easier.

And only 20 hours?  What?

And I set it up to record "Rewind with Herman" and it didn't record.  Then saw it later at night, set it up again and no dice again. Come on guys...

3 hours ago, RD3 said:

There is a reason this is a lot cheaper than cable.  But it's getting better.

I have a Roku 4k Ultra and I prefer the remote 100x more than my Uverse remote.  It's simple.  We don't need channel #s.  Have them in alphabetical order and you can create your own list of favorites.  Plus this has a tv power button + volume keys.  I only need 1 remote!  This is bad-ass compared to the Fire stick (which I have in my gameroom) and there is no volume key.  You still need your tv remote.

And when I turn on the tv, it goes straight to the Roku home screen.  My kids don't watch Directv Now; they watch Amazon Prime or the Cartoon  Network app (which we sign into using DTV Now user/pass).  It's more intuitive.  We don't need to change inputs unless I want to watch my BluRay which is rare.  

51eHEzxJgrL._SY355_.jpg

Roku's remote is pretty good.  I wish they would allow some/all of the pre-programmed app keys to be reprogrammed but I know this is a revenue stream for them.

Personally I like the even more simplistic Apple TV remote since it has the volume control too.  the upper portion is a touchpad/button.  and as you said, why do you need a number pad especially if you can talk to Siri (on apple tv.)

MQGE2?wid=572&hei=572&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, Gator Dave said:

Hence the reason there's still a big 'Beta' tag on it. Now granted, it should be working by now, because they've been working on it forever. But still, they're telling you it's not a finished product right on the home screen.

I got it. They ain't hiding it.

36 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Roku's remote is pretty good.  I wish they would allow some/all of the pre-programmed app keys to be reprogrammed but I know this is a revenue stream for them.

Personally I like the even more simplistic Apple TV remote since it has the volume control too.  the upper portion is a touchpad/button.  and as you said, why do you need a number pad especially if you can talk to Siri (on apple tv.)

MQGE2?wid=572&hei=572&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op

Yep, the Roku remote has a button to talk to it and I've found it pretty good when searching.

I also like how Roku aggregates the results by what streaming platforms provide it.  For example, I was searching for "The Equalizer" and it turns out that it was on say Fox movie app, I was able to get download the app, login via my DTV Now account and watch free.

Hence the reason there's still a big 'Beta' tag on it. Now granted, it should be working by now, because they've been working on it forever. But still, they're telling you it's not a finished product right on the home screen.

True, but for fucks sake they’ve been developing it for over a year, plus they already are in the physical dvr business. Not sure why ps vue and you tube can get it right but they can’t.

My shit constantly records random shit, or I can’t ff, or just crashes.

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Same for me.  Once or twice I had the remote upside down so I would prefer a design that makes it slightly more obvious but it’s a rare issue for me.

I have each of these, but prefer the honeycomb one just for the way it feels in the hand. Can always tell which way is up and feels better in the hand, more grip:

https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Protective-Case-Apple-Remote/dp/B01K6LO5SK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537965840&sr=8-3&keywords=apple+tv+remote+case&dpID=41wAN1ZDE5L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/elago-Technology-Anti-Slip-Absorption-Generation/dp/B01B5RF470/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1537965907&sr=8-4&keywords=apple+tv+remote+case&dpID=41FXpYvRVeL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

• Like 1

Apple TV - I gave my mom one.  I hate that touch pad.  It drives me nuts.

Direct TV Now.  - One thing I found really digging is the ability to "Discover" movies.  Then bookmark them to watch later.  They have a huge on Demand service, like having another "Netflix" like service.  Especially since HBO seems to be free for me in this app.

On 9/16/2018 at 4:44 PM, Wiler77 said:

Any recent data points on how much people are paying for internet only through Spectrum in Austin?  I am cutting the cord this week and am curious what I should be pushing for when I make the call.  We don't watch much tv, and when I looked at the programming option on Youtube TV, it looked like a no-brainer considering how many sports channels there are.  About the only thing I'll miss is Food Network, and the reality is I can watch episodes on You Tube (not youtube tv) if I really want to.

I started studying my bill, and I pay $75 after taxes for cable boxes, DVR, and "local TV and sports programming".  This doesn't include the $99 I pay for bundled Internet and TV.  You Tube TV is $42 after taxes, but I'm curious what I should be shooting for when it comes to Internet only plans from Spectrum.  For reference, I currently have the Extreme plan (100 Mbps down), and it is perfectly fine for what we do so I plan to stay at that level.

If you didn't get an answer, we have Spectrum in South Austin because Google Fiber isn't ready yet.  Internet is $90 per month with their equipment (router).  Decent service but too expensive.

Update on my chicken out move. I re-upped with U-verse and AT&T fiber for &110/month + tax. The first bill? $133 + tax. Yup, they tried to eff me yet again. Took a half hour of arguing with customer service to get it fixed, just like every other time. Can’t wait until cord cutting somehow destroys AT&T’s business. I hate them so much.

I have DTVN but never, ever use it for live events.  It was near-unwatchable for last Super bowl and CFP games - stuttering, freezing, erroring out.  Same for my wife with the Oscars   

BUT-DTVN gives me access to the ESPN and FOX apps, which work fine.  That’s what I use for games.  Matter of fact, I generally use the apps for everything.

It is also correct that hardware matters. I couldn’t get the fire stick to work worth a damn.  The FireTV wasn’t loads better, either gen 2 or gen 3 - occasionally just freezing or erroring out for no reason.  Android TV on my Sony and my old Vizio was better but still had issues with big live events. Finally just went with Apple TV on the Sony and the native Roku on my other TV, which are both rock solid even in 4k/Dolby Vision. 

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

If you didn't get an answer, we have Spectrum in South Austin because Google Fiber isn't ready yet.  Internet is $90 per month with their equipment (router).  Decent service but too expensive.

Thanks.  I pulled the trigger 2 weekends ago.

Paying $65 for 200Mb/s down.  I have my own modem and wireless router.

And went with YouTube TV for $40.

After taxes, I'll be saving about $67/month, but now have a better selection of sports channels and almost 3X the bandwidth (had 70Mb/s down before).

3 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Thanks.  I pulled the trigger 2 weekends ago.

Paying $65 for 200Mb/s down.  I have my own modem and wireless router.

And went with YouTube TV for $40.

After taxes, I'll be saving about $67/month, but now have a better selection of sports channels and almost 3X the bandwidth (had 70Mb/s down before).

Ours started off cheap a few years ago but has steadily increased.  Probably because I haven't been diligent enough about calling and threatening to cancel, mostly because Google Fiber was supposed to be done a year ago when they put the box on our house.

Ok I get to join the thread.  Internet finally got upgraded to 10 down and I've been playing with both Amazon Prime and Netflix without issue.

I'm now trying to figure out which service to go with.

I want

- NBCsports, ESPN, FOX1/2

Wife wants

- HGTV, TNT, TBS, Hallmark, E!

Kids would like

- Disney and Nickelodeon

We own 3 televisions, none have the smart features available, I own a PS2, PS3, Chromecast x1.

I'm leaning really hard towards Playstation Vue with the only channel it doesn't have is Nickelodeon which isn't a deal breaker in my mind, but is in my wife's. I can usually win these debates.

I looked at Hulu which looks good as well, but nothing making me want to wander to it with Vue being built for my PS2/3.

I haven't looked at Youtube secondary to devices.

Fuck Direct TV just based on past experiences.

Sling would probably just piss off the wife.

The only other consideration is the wife taking to it and not getting pissed off.  Apparently reading through options Playstation Vue is fairly easy and I already have her using the playstation to watch Netflix without issue.

Thoughts?  Am I talking myself into a bad choice with PlayStation simply because I have both consoles?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

PS Vue is fine.  I had it for a while. Something minor made me choose DTVN but it was a close choice.  LHN maybe?

Every time I put together a Sling bundle it’s a lot more expensive for me to get everything I want.  Like $20-30 more per month.  

LHN isn't necessary.  I can illegally stream the game once a year.

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

PS Vue is fine.  I had it for a while. Something minor made me choose DTVN but it was a close choice.  LHN maybe?

Every time I put together a Sling bundle it’s a lot more expensive for me to get everything I want.  Like $20-30 more per month.  

I have the DTV Now and LHN is included in the "Just Right" package.

I think Sony's big mistake was the name.  PS Vue. I have friends that dismiss it as an option because they don't have a Playstation.

I have to tell them that they don't need it and then they get confused as to the name... 

11 hours ago, BNB said:

Apple TV - I gave my mom one.  I hate that touch pad.  It drives me nuts.

Direct TV Now.  - One thing I found really digging is the ability to "Discover" movies.  Then bookmark them to watch later.  They have a huge on Demand service, like having another "Netflix" like service.  Especially since HBO seems to be free for me in this app.

If you have AT&T for cell service, then you should get HBO free + $15 off per month of DTV Now.  I'm pretty happy about that...

7 minutes ago, RD3 said:

If you have AT&T for cell service, then you should get HBO free + $15 off per month of DTV Now.  I'm pretty happy about that...

Unfortunately not.  I would, but the only cell service that work out at our Hill Country house is Tmoblie,  (ONLY USE IT A COUPLE TIMES A YEAR BUT WORTH IT TO GET AWAY FROM THE FAMILY AND NOW BE ABLE TO STREAM SPORTS). and that is just in the last 2 years.  Hopefully ATT will be out there soon..

Edited by BNB

Since I have an Amazon Prime account and a few Echo's, I went ahead and just got a Fire TV device and then also signed up for Hulu Live so I could get live TV.  Good package of sports/news/TCM that I watch.  Probably the biggest thing I am missing (or not finding) on Hulu live is a guide.  They have a live guide but it is just for what is on now and then what is coming up next.  Am I missing something or is this the best it has right now and if you want to see what is one tonight or tomorrow or this weekend, you have to go online to each network and look at their guide that way?

PS:  Browsing around last night on hulu, I found all three seasons of a cartoon called Brickleberry.  I remember seeing an episode or two a few years ago on Comedy Central.  This has to be the most filthy show I have ever seen.  Will probably binge later.

Ok found an issue. I'm in Durango, CO which is historically in the Alb/Santa Fe market.  I thought I would be in the Denver market.  As such, I don't get Fox, NBC or CBS.  I only get ABC.  If I was living an hour to the east in Pagosa, I'd be Denver and get all 4 local channels from Denver.  This likely is a deal breaker and I'll end up going with another option.

Has anyone had any luck with Playstation Vue allowing a neighboring market? Or am I shit outta luck?  I'm not against setting up a VPN, but my wife will be certainly break it and hate it.

17 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Ok found an issue. I'm in Durango, CO which is historically in the Alb/Santa Fe market.  I thought I would be in the Denver market.  As such, I don't get Fox, NBC or CBS.  I only get ABC.  If I was living an hour to the east in Pagosa, I'd be Denver and get all 4 local channels from Denver.  This likely is a deal breaker and I'll end up going with another option.

Has anyone had any luck with Playstation Vue allowing a neighboring market? Or am I shit outta luck?  I'm not against setting up a VPN, but my wife will be certainly break it and hate it.

Antenna is not an option? 

Went with youtube tv. Previously had directv, and besides the issue with having to bullshit with reps every 6 months to get reasonable rates, their streaming service (the one with satellite, not directv now) was terrible and flaky. It was raining during the first part of the TCU game and I said no more. Pretty happy with youtube tv. Most of my tvs are already smart, and the few that weren't were easily connected with a Chromecast. I do have att gigabit, so connection when running all 6 streams is no problem. And I have twice the amount of sports available for even less than the very best discounted rate I could get from dtv. I do wish there was something more akin to a guide in the phone app. It it really difficult to see what is coming on next using the phone. The TV apps actually have one, so at least it is something.

Edited by Dahobbs

2 hours ago, MoJames said:

I could but why would I if direct tv has all the locals.

If you can pull a good signal, the picture of an OTA signal will look better than any streaming, satellite, or cable service.  Add a Tablo box and a hard drive and you can record your locals and stream them to any TV in the house.  After a while, we finally have two locals over VUE, but the antenna looks much better (and our local CBS affiliate has a crappy stream over VUE for some reason). 

24 minutes ago, dcbc said:

If you can pull a good signal, the picture of an OTA signal will look better than any streaming, satellite, or cable service.  Add a Tablo box and a hard drive and you can record your locals and stream them to any TV in the house.  After a while, we finally have two locals over VUE, but the antenna looks much better (and our local CBS affiliate has a crappy stream over VUE for some reason). 

I might actually do this just for me for game day.  My wife would throw a fit if I had her switch inputs to get local channels

I already cancelled PlayStation Vue as the rep told me I couldn't reset my home to Pagosa without checking in every 60 days.  So fuck that.  I have initiated the Directv Now option and so far looks good.  The one drawback appears to be the DVR is limited, and only 2 screens, but could upgrade to 3 if we need it for 5 bucks a month more.  As well I now have HBO for 5 bucks were I was looking to pay 15 for HBO Now.  So outside of the DVR issue, no down side as of yet and I have all my local channels.

16 hours ago, MoJames said:

I might actually do this just for me for game day.  My wife would throw a fit if I had her switch inputs to get local channels

I already cancelled PlayStation Vue as the rep told me I couldn't reset my home to Pagosa without checking in every 60 days.  So fuck that.  I have initiated the Directv Now option and so far looks good.  The one drawback appears to be the DVR is limited, and only 2 screens, but could upgrade to 3 if we need it for 5 bucks a month more.  As well I now have HBO for 5 bucks were I was looking to pay 15 for HBO Now.  So outside of the DVR issue, no down side as of yet and I have all my local channels.

So latest issue with the local channels. At first look it appeared all was good, I could stream them on my devices without issue.  As soon as I attempted to cast to Chromecast I got the 30001-014 error stating the content is not available in my area.  Did some digging and I believe my issue revolves around my home location and the dynamic IP address I'm assigned from CenturyLink.  It looks like they are giving me a Denver area zipcode IP address and as I covered above Denver and Durango get different local news (Albuquerque vs Denver).  Currently I am able to bypass this with a mirroring device as my devices run the locals fine.  I see this as potentially being an issue down the road when Directv fouls up my streaming to my devices.  I did a factory reset on the Chromecast as I had used it at the rental house in Pagosa, but no luck.  Chatted for about 20 minutes with the rep, but once he started going on about unplugging and replugging shit back in I ended it.

I do like the GUI for PS Vue in comparison to the Directv option, including the bookmarking and DVR options as well as the multiple device streaming option. I'm thinking of getting that antenna and seeing if I can get locals. Any recommendations on antenna's?

18 hours ago, MoJames said:

No need to switch inputs with Tablo.  Just switch apps to either Tablo or Plex. 

Also, with VUE, even if you don't get the locals, you get a good amount of on-demand programming for the locals.  The only reason I have the antenna is for football.

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

Any recommendations on antenna's?

First, go here  https://www.antennaweb.org/Address and see what your distance and direction is.  Consider obstacles like trees and mountains. 

In my case, trees are the issue.  So I had to put the antenna on the roof and boost the signal with a preamp.  Other issue is that I have to split the distance directionwise to pick up the ABC affiliate (VHF to the  north) versus the rest (UHF to the southish).  The preamp was key.  From there, the cable goes into the tablo box (Original 2 Tuner Tablo Refurb on Sale) with an external HD plugged into it.  Then, you just use the Tablo app or Plex to stream your locals (no other wiring required).

If you're close to the antenna farm, a stick up antenna might do the trick just fine.  But I had to go with the Outdoor type (Clearstream 2v).  Bought it used on ebay for about $50.

Edited by dcbc

Well if I was in town, which I'm not, I would only be able to potentially get CBS and PBS :(

StationsAntennaFCC Repack

KRTN-DT 47.1 IND 
RF Channel: 33 
1 miles at 203°MeTV_All.png Yellow

K16GZ-D 16.1 IND 
RF Channel: 16 
1 miles at 184°IND_All.png Yellow

KREZ-DT 6.1 CBS 
RF Channel: 15 
1 miles at 219°CBS_Light.png Green

KRMU-DT 20.1 PBS 
RF Channel: 20 
1 miles at 219°PBS_Light.png Red

5 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Well if I was in town, which I'm not, I would only be able to potentially get CBS and PBS :(

StationsAntennaFCC Repack

KRTN-DT 47.1 IND 
RF Channel: 33 
1 miles at 203°MeTV_All.png Yellow

K16GZ-D 16.1 IND 
RF Channel: 16 
1 miles at 184°IND_All.png Yellow

KREZ-DT 6.1 CBS 
RF Channel: 15 
1 miles at 219°CBS_Light.png Green

KRMU-DT 20.1 PBS 
RF Channel: 20 
1 miles at 219°PBS_Light.png Red

Did you pop in the "more than 30' off the ground" on there just for grins?)

From the map, it looks like the antenna farm is pretty clustered and at pretty high elevation (on a mountain).  Depending on how far you are from town and where you are relative to the antenna farm, I'm guessing you will be able to pick up more than you think with a regular antenna and will have no trouble if you put one on the roof and hit it with a preamp.  Of course, if it starts snowing sideways, it will affect the signal. 

On the positive side of things, you live in Durango.  I have a friend who is a school teacher there.  It looks amazing. 

Edited by dcbc

45 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Did you pop in the "more than 30' off the ground" on there just for grins?)

From the map, it looks like the antenna farm is pretty clustered and at pretty high elevation (on a mountain).  Depending on how far you are from town and where you are relative to the antenna farm, I'm guessing you will be able to pick up more than you think with a regular antenna and will have no trouble if you put one on the roof and hit it with a preamp.  Of course, if it starts snowing sideways, it will affect the signal. 

On the positive side of things, you live in Durango.  I have a friend who is a school teacher there.  It looks amazing. 

Put the 30' off the ground, but I'm on the SW side of town or exact opposite with a mountain in the way.  But this is what I signed up for, as far as Durango goes, the technology part is the by far the worst, but other things make up for it.  Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 10:28 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

couple of items for potential cord cutters to consider:

• If you're looking at the live streaming options (Hulu Live, DirecTV Now, Youtube TV, etc.) they usually offer 1 week free trials.  You don't need to cut the cord with your current cable company to try them out.   Sign up for a trial, and then don't use your cable TV for a week.  See what you think of the experience.    (You will need a roku/apple tv, amazon fire stick/google/smart TV) unless you only want to watch on a laptop or ipad.
  • Don't  worry that if you cancel the cable TV, its a permanent decision.  You can go back in 1 week, 1 month, 1 year.   You're not committing to anything.   
  • I've told anyone that if you're comparing a $150 cable package vs a combo of streaming services that cost you <$50, you have to accept that you will lose something.  The question is whether the loss is worth $1200/year for you?  
  • When you have fewer channels, you watch less TV.  And I don't know anyone that doesn't see this as a positive.

Motley_Fool_TMOT_d78b0b36_comcast_logo_l

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Put the 30' off the ground, but I'm on the SW side of town or exact opposite with a mountain in the way.  But this is what I signed up for, as far as Durango goes, the technology part is the by far the worst, but other things make up for it.  Thanks for the help.

I'd try a cheap set top antenna just to see.  It might be fine.