2018-19 PGA Tour

Wally Fairway

So I see the PGA tour has decided to experiment with pace of play and they have JB Holmes going out in the first group on Thursday (what could go wrong?).
I guess they don't have to worry about falling behind the pace of the group in front of them

FWIW first tee time is 9:15, Jordan is in the 3rd group of the day at 9:37 with Poulter and Rory ( Sabbitini)

Edited by Wally Fairway
spelling (and find the hidden word)

6 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

So I see the PGA tour has decided to experiment with pace of play and they have JB Holmes going out in the first group on Thursday (what could go wrong?).
I guess they don't have to worry about falling behind the pace of the group in front of them

FWIW first tee time is 9:15, Jordan is in the 3rd group of the day at 9:37 with Poulter and Rory ( Sabbitini)

They should pair him and Bryson together in the first group and just time their round. Put Rory and brooks in the time behind them. Then count how long the second group waits on the first. Essentially derive the pace of play rules from the average of the fastest and the slowest. If any group is behind that pace moving forward then the players in the group are penalized. 

Also, by having brooks behind them we might get to see a fight on 18 green or sooner. It would be safer to have brooks and Rory go first and measure the distance in between their finish and brysons but I think we all want to see that dweeb scientist get his ass kicked st this point. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Brooks and his medium shirts shouldn’t really scare anybody. He’s “big” for a golfer I guess.

the "he's like a linebacker" shit is funny. have these guys ever seen an nfl linebacker in person?  he just has some big arms and small shirts.

James Harrison is one of the biggest fuckers I’ve ever seen in person. Koepka couldn’t keep his jock around his chest. His size is definitely overplayed but brooks’s Size compared to the rest of the golf field is considerably bigger. JT is like 5’8” isn’t he? Can’t weigh more than 165. 

Edited by Jhawk

On 8/12/2019 at 6:47 AM, Jhawk said:

Could you imagine a 21 putt round??? I would like to think I’d shoot par at 21 putts but I’d probably have the worst tee to green day of my life and end up with an 86. 

Gross 86 probably gets me into the money in the Saturday game.

7 hours ago, Jhawk said:

James Harrison is one of the biggest fuckers I’ve ever seen in person. Koepka couldn’t keep his jock around his chest. His size is definitely overplayed but brooks’s Size compared to the rest of the golf field is considerably bigger. JT is like 5’8” isn’t he? Can’t weigh more than 165. 

Yeah most of them are tiny. Rory was shockingly little when I stood next to him at the match play.

Couple of bogeys on back 9 hurt Jordan.

Spieth is -2 and 5 shots back after 1st Rd of BMW.   If I heard correctly, Jordan has to place 9th or better to qualify for East Lake.  Good news is there is no cut for BMW Championship this weekend since only 69 players in the field...

5 Birdies and 3 Bogeys...

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Good news is there is no cut for BMW Championship this weekend since only 69 players in the field...

Why does it matter if there is a cut if he has to place 9th? He will need 4 good rounds to crack the top 10 this week - it's an absolutely stacked field. 

-2 is fine for day 1, and he was -3 through 9. Needs to keep the high score off of his card on Saturday. Atlanta will be more fun if Spieth makes it. 

Anyone else getting worried about the lack of drama next week?  Starting scores are as follows:

Leader: -10

Second: -8

#3: -7

#4: -6

#5: -5

#6-10: -4

#11-15: -3

#16-20: -2

#21-25: -1

The remaining field starts at even par.  I'm thinking that there is no chance in hell anyone from outside the top 4 has a chance at this unless they go crazy.  I know the changes were made to avoid having a different cup champ and tour champ but this is going to take all of the drama out of the final event.  I'm not saying that the #30 guy should have a chance to win $15M in one event, but I think that anyone in the top 10 should have a good shot at winning and anyone from 11-15 should have an outside chance with a couple of 65-66 cards.  This basically guarantees the money to whoever has played the most consistent all year, which is anti-dramatic.  The benefit to playing well all year should be that you are in the fedex cup chase at all. 

I would probably give the #1 a 3 stroke cushion and then #2-5 get 2 strokes and 6-10 get one stroke.  That would put a lot of guys in it while keeping #1 from running away with it.  You give a top 2-3 golfer in the world a 2 stroke lead and they aren't giving it back.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

Anyone else getting worried about the lack of drama next week?  Starting scores are as follows:

Leader: -10

Second: -8

#3: -7

#4: -6

#5: -5

#6-10: -4

#11-15: -3

#16-20: -2

#21-25: -1

The remaining field starts at even par.  I'm thinking that there is no chance in hell anyone from outside the top 4 has a chance at this unless they go crazy.  I know the changes were made to avoid having a different cup champ and tour champ but this is going to take all of the drama out of the final event.  I'm not saying that the #30 guy should have a chance to win $15M in one event, but I think that anyone in the top 10 should have a good shot at winning and anyone from 11-15 should have an outside chance with a couple of 65-66 cards.  This basically guarantees the money to whoever has played the most consistent all year, which is anti-dramatic.  The benefit to playing well all year should be that you are in the fedex cup chase at all. 

I would probably give the #1 a 3 stroke cushion and then #2-5 get 2 strokes and 6-10 get one stroke.  That would put a lot of guys in it while keeping #1 from running away with it.  You give a top 2-3 golfer in the world a 2 stroke lead and they aren't giving it back.

I'm fine with it. I always thought it was annoying how heavily weighted the Tour Championship was. It should be about performance over the entire season with the last 3 events being weighted more for points. 

And plenty more than 4 guys will have a crack at winning it. 6 strokes is not a lot over 4 rounds - that puts the top 10 firmly in contention. All you need is for the leader to slip up and have one shitty round and it's anyone in the top 15s ballgame if they can get hot. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm fine with it. I always thought it was annoying how heavily weighted the Tour Championship was. It should be about performance over the entire season with the last 3 events being weighted more for points. 

And plenty more than 4 guys will have a crack at winning it. 6 strokes is not a lot over 4 rounds - that puts the top 10 firmly in contention. All you need is for the leader to slip up and have one shitty round and it's anyone in the top 15s ballgame if they can get hot. 

Or Brooks could just win it by enough that it's a snoozefest

29 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Or Brooks could just win it by enough that it's a snoozefest

Assuming he plays well, under last season's format, he would probably take it home either way. 

Like I said, you still need the leader to slip up a bit. But under the old format you would need the leader to finish outside the top x players and have the winner be firmly up the standings going in. 

We'll see. Like @Jhawk said it will probably take some fine tuning in the years to come, but I get what they're going for and it has the potential to not be a snoozefest. 

Also, it gives this weekend more import - so there's that. 

Edited by ztejas

7 hours ago, Hate said:

100% this. I hate not having any more majors. I had the golf on today, but I don’t really care about it. I just wanted to take a nap.

That's where I am

And the handicap thing, last year Tiger finishes 2nd to Rose, even though he has fewer strokes. Seems like they are playing the club Calcutta for net low score.

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

Assuming he plays well, under last season's format, he would probably take it home either way. 

Like I said, you still need the leader to slip up a bit. But under the old format you would need the leader to finish outside the top x players and have the winner be firmly up the standings going in. 

We'll see. Like @Jhawk said it will probably take some fine tuning in the years to come, but I get what they're going for and it has the potential to not be a snoozefest. 

Also, it gives this weekend more import - so there's that. 

I get what they’re going for with the “playoff” type atmosphere but in the NFL you don’t get a 2 touchdown head start because you finished the regular season ranked higher. Sure there is a bye and home field advantage but not an actual scoring differential. I’m confident the PGA will get it dialed in, but with $15M on the line they need to get it dialed in sooner than later. We can’t spend 3 years tinkering with the system. That’s how you lose fan interest.  

10 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I get what they’re going for with the “playoff” type atmosphere but in the NFL you don’t get a 2 touchdown head start because you finished the regular season ranked higher. Sure there is a bye and home field advantage but not an actual scoring differential. I’m confident the PGA will get it dialed in, but with $15M on the line they need to get it dialed in sooner than later. We can’t spend 3 years tinkering with the system. That’s how you lose fan interest.  

Okay but the FedEx has never been about a one-off tournament. If it was, it would be just another weekend that happens to be worth a ton of money. Players have gone in with "2 touchdown head starts" since its inception. 

They can dial it in but there should still be an incentive to play well during the season if you want your $15M. 

I get that we don’t want the scenarios we had the last two years but you could make it more true to the spirit of the game. . Eliminate the field over 4 weeks. Have the last tourney be 15 guys. Hell, have the season then have the playoffs be double elimination match play with the top 40. Any of that is better than just giving guys strokes in my opinion. 

Thomas hasn’t won all season — good chance today though — and only has five Top 10 finishes in 18 starts yet he’ll be the #1 seed going into next week if this holds? That’s a flawed points system IMO.

Is it really that much different than any other sport that has a playoff? Regular season record only gets you in the dance but doesn’t offer any guarantees beyond that.

Is it really that much different than any other sport that has a playoff? Regular season record only gets you in the dance but doesn’t offer any guarantees beyond that.

Heard the other day these three playoff tournaments are worth more points than any of the majors — that’s silly.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

This whole fed ex cup is the most manufactured bunch of nothing I’ve ever seen. These announcers act like it’s the super bowl or the final four.

It’s just a money grab and the average fan has no idea of the rules or what it even is...

The points system is retarded

2 hours ago, Mileslong said:

This whole fed ex cup is the most manufactured bunch of nothing I’ve ever seen. These announcers act like it’s the super bowl or the final four.

It’s just a money grab and the average fan has no idea of the rules or what it even is...

The last major is the end of golf season.  It begins again with the tournament in Hawaii.  Everything in between those two events is offseason shite, with the exception of the international team competitions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Thomas hasn’t won all season — good chance today though — and only has five Top 10 finishes in 18 starts yet he’ll be the #1 seed going into next week if this holds? That’s a flawed points system IMO.

wtf? JT is the #1 seed? lol. I really hate the Fedex Cup

In addition to winning the tournament these all needed to happen in order for Tiger to win the championship last year:

-- No. 1 Bryson DeChambeau finishes T15 or worse

-- No. 2 Justin Rose finishes three-way for 5th or worse

-- No. 3 Tony Finau finishes T3 or worse

-- No. 4 Dustin Johnson finishes in a three-way tie for 2nd or worse

-- No. 5 Justin Thomas finishes in a three-way tie for 2nd or worse

-- No. 6 Keegan Bradley finishes T2 or worse

Trying to keep all of that in mind and track it even with the help of the broadcast was stupid. Taking time away from actually watching golf shots to try and figure out what needed to happen for X player to win is stupid. 

In the same scenario this year this is what he’d need to happen to win:

- have the lowest score. 

It’s still the same things happening. All of those guys in the top section would still need to finish in those positions or worse, but instead of having to track current points and projected points based on current position, it’s just worked into the score.

18 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

It IS a lot different, because nobody cares about the playoff events or who wins the FedEx cup. And they ruined the tour championship in the process. 

Will the tour championship even count as an official tour win anymore? 

Just imagine if Tiger squeaked into the field this week, and then went on to dominate everyone, but ends up losing by one shot to the #1 seed by one shot because of the handicap in place. It would be scrapped immediately. 

2 hours ago, housious said:

Will the tour championship even count as an official tour win anymore? 

Just imagine if Tiger squeaked into the field this week, and then went on to dominate everyone, but ends up losing by one shot to the #1 seed by one shot because of the handicap in place. It would be scrapped immediately. 

Yeah I was thinking about this too. It really shouldn't count as a win since no one is starting from the same place standings-wise. 

3 hours ago, heso said:

In addition to winning the tournament these all needed to happen in order for Tiger to win the championship last year:

-- No. 1 Bryson DeChambeau finishes T15 or worse

-- No. 2 Justin Rose finishes three-way for 5th or worse

-- No. 3 Tony Finau finishes T3 or worse

-- No. 4 Dustin Johnson finishes in a three-way tie for 2nd or worse

-- No. 5 Justin Thomas finishes in a three-way tie for 2nd or worse

-- No. 6 Keegan Bradley finishes T2 or worse

Trying to keep all of that in mind and track it even with the help of the broadcast was stupid. Taking time away from actually watching golf shots to try and figure out what needed to happen for X player to win is stupid. 

In the same scenario this year this is what he’d need to happen to win:

- have the lowest score. 

It’s still the same things happening. All of those guys in the top section would still need to finish in those positions or worse, but instead of having to track current points and projected points based on current position, it’s just worked into the score.

I think everyone thought that the old scoring system was awful.  That doesn't mean that what they have done is much better.

@TonyTexas, in the NFL they don't give the team with the best record a 2 touchdown head start.  JT is getting a 10 shot lead on anyone outside of the top 10.  If it is about getting to the dance then everyone who is in the field next week has done that.  The field is 30, down from 125 (I believe).  Now everyone should either have an equal chance or they should just cut the field to 10.  It's not like they are going to show a single shot from the 29 & 30 pairing.  Just save us the time and energy.

I think this last 2-3 weeks should be a double elimination match play for the golfers who have earned the points to be present.  Maybe you give them a cash payout for making the field and then the big payout to the overall winner.  Handicapping a pro against another pro is dumb as shit.  JT isn't going to give up a 6 stroke lead on the 6-10 guys and he damn sure isn't going to give up a 10 stroke lead against the #25-30 guys.  Basically, the only guys who have a chance to win it are the top 3 which is the exact opposite of how a playoff works.

Either dump the fedex cup trophy and just give a huge payout to the player of the year (use fedex point system to determine) or dump the tour championship trophy and just give out the fedex cup trophy/payout.  Trying to have both is what created this mess they have to fix.

Hell Brooks had a great year and he is already three shots behind JT.

BTW - the top 10 are "only" 6 shots or fewer behind JT, only BDC, Oosty, ChuckyIII, Glover & Kokrak are 10 shots behind.

For the record I hate this idea, the fact that the person who takes the fewest strokes might not win the Tour Championship seems really off to me. So they conjure something up because golf fans aren't smart enough to figure out that 1 person wins the event and another can win the Fed Ex Cup (with it's $15M deferred bonus). There is a part of me that wants to see Ancer , Webb, Finau, Scott, Hideki, Sneds, Fleetwood, In, Oosty, Glover or Kokrak win it and have the season winner be a player with zero wins this season going into the last even (Damn, I'm surprised that many guys with no wins qualified)