2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

2 hours ago, CBT said:

Can we sign Roby to just a GLeague deal or a two-way? Doesn't that take up a spot on the 15 man? My NBA roster construction rule knowledge is rusty. 

I think we still have Macon and Kostas on two ways and 2 is the max. I believe they both signed 2 year two ways last year. Reaves has been signed to what they call an exhibit 10 which means he can be a two way designation before the start of the season, but that would mean Macon or Kostas is out (or brought up). That contract is not guaranteed so they can let him walk just the same. 

Kostas has too much to work on but my fear is we string him along because it will look good in Giannas' eyes before he ultimately says fuck you Dallas and signs his supermax with the Bucks. 

I'm willing to bet we give spot 15 to Roby. 

Another summer league standout Cam Payne signed a two year deal with the Raptors. Good for him. Dude was lights out in Vegas.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Dropout that's fantastic thanks for sharing.

22 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

yeah, that was a fun as hell series to watch.

Yep, that was fun. I remember being excited that maybe this would vidicate in my mind our loss to 8 seed Warriors in 2007. That still hurts, even though 2011 eased it somewhat. I remember thinking early one we had no chance, and each game was fun. Really wish we could have pulled it off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well they definitely like Roby

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2019/08/06/report-mavericks-sign-2019-draft-pick-isaiah-roby-4-year-67-million-deal?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Eric+Dickerson+agrees+Zeke+needs+to+get+his+money+now%2C+Rangers+call+up+newly+acquired+Kolby+Allard+for+Friday+start+and+more+--+Your+Ticket+Ticker&utm_campaign=ticketnewsletter080719

Marks has reported that Roby signed a four-year, $6.7 million contract. His $1.5 million cap hit in year one will be the largest salary a player selected in the 2nd round of the draft out of college has earned in their first year in the NBA.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:35 AM, CBT said:

This is encouraging. I think we might be making a statement to all the non superstars that we'll reward guys at the bottom of the bench. Will it equate to wins, prolly not but still it could help us become more attractive to guys that succeed with a chip on their shoulders created on draft day

58 minutes ago, CBT said:

Bout to be a problem FTMFW

This reminds me of something Bill Simmons says all the time when talking about players taking a leap.  He mentioned this about Luka at some point in the last few months. 

How serious is Luka gonna be about his conditioning. If he comes back 15lbs lighter watch out.  Because he's serious.

• Like 3

On 8/15/2019 at 3:37 PM, TommyGufano said:

Yall still wish Mavs went after Cousins?

Hindsight is always 20/20. At the time I would have liked to have him here. It's sad that his career took a sharp dive once he got hurt last year. Him and AD were a force to be reckoned with (well somewhat) and he's never been the same since that serious injury.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/08/20/dallas-mavericks-luka-doncic-kristaps-porzingis-seth-curry-rick-carlisle

The odds could be stacked against playoff basketball returning to Dallas in 2020. Such a run isn’t close to inconceivable, though, and the general public may be discounting Dallas when slotting the final West playoff spots. Doncic was a clear Rookie of the Year winner; Porzingis can return to a top-20 player if healthy. The Carlisle bump is good for a few wins per year, and the roster as it stands is deep on reliable talent. Dallas is a notable piece away from true contention in the West. For now, consider the Mavericks still firmly in the pool of postseason contenders.

Just about every publication has us making the playoffs which is surprising to me. I think we'll be a decent team but the West is so stacked that I don't think I would predict us making the playoffs. The only team I see us overtaking from last year's playoff bunch is OKC but you would think the Lakers will probably slide into their spot. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 12:41 PM, Johnny Sack said:

The Mavs have a bright future.  Still can’t believe the rape you did to Atlanta.  As a Rockets fan, I’d trade rosters without a second thought.  

Respect, but there is reason the Rockets should be top 3 in the West again. Y'all still stacked and should compete for a title again.

25 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

I like that most of the team has been hanging out together in Miami. I wonder if the bigger contract guys pick up the total tab. Poor Roby wont have much cash left if not.

This got me thinking about who has the most money on the team. Used to be an easy answer with Dirk around. But now?

Courtney Lee? Devin Harris?  Maybe I'm underestimating Porzingis' off court earnings?