Need a ruling

jimmyjazz

Let's say you buy a whole mess of fried chicken and sides to feed a large group (family, extended family, and several friends).  The rule is "take two pieces at first and we'll figure out how to divvy up the rest when everyone has had some".

One person (who will remain unidentified) originally took one piece, but was spotted going back for a second piece.  No big deal.  

Later on, the leftovers don't add up.  There is one extra piece.  At that point, we learned that said person didn't take two pieces, but rather took one piece and then went back to take the skin off a second piece.

I contend this is a chicken faux pas, even though it actually leaves more meat for others.  My wife disagrees.  Which is better -- taking two pieces but not finishing them both, or eating one piece and taking the skin off a second piece?

Marital harmony hangs in the balance.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That is exactly my perspective.  For starters, they handled someone else's chicken (oh deer lord).

20 Y/O son said it depends who touched the skinless piece.  a 4 Y/O little slobber monster is different than delicate, respectful Grandma cutting away the breading and not wanting to waste the meaty part of the chicken.  He also said if his older brother had done it, he would eat the skinless piece and act like it was the best chicken ever...LOL.

There's another person on wife's side of family who would lose his mind if he knew someone handled the skinless piece and returned it.  This premise would almost make it worth it.

53 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

There was plenty of food, but thanks for the tip, Ace.

No problem, Sport.

I just presumed the demand outstripped the supply when you described your “two piece” rationing process, your surveillance of people seeking seconds, and your inventorying of leftovers.

maybe I read too much into this.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, CoTex said:

maybe I read too much into this.

Yeah, you did.  Lots of younger kids.  2 piece per was a good average.  The offender was a teenage girl.

No need to keep the adult men from a half chicken each -- just trying to make sure everybody got theirs.

But good job missing the whole fucking point, as usual.

• Fuck You 1

I don’t think I missed the point.  In fact I think I distilled it nicely.

You didn’t buy enough chicken and some teenage girl wasted a piece, and you and your wife got in a fight over it.

Now, you’re trying to crowdsource some confidence for round two of the poultry war because round 1 didn’t go your way.

you don’t like my suggestion - buy more chicken next time - fight with wife less.

Aaaand I’m the dumb one.

• Like 1

I’ve got a question of my own now.

how exactly did you think this 2 piece rationing thing was going to work out?  

Two wings is < one breast. Some kids won’t eat thighs.  Not all chicken parts are created equally.

Next time maybe you get a scale and weight out the portions.  There is still the possibility that the kids run on the legs, but you could layer additional rules like “10 ounces of chicken per person and no more than one leg.”

this way you can make sure “everybody got theirs.”

this is is a good thread.  Really sparks my intellectual curiosity.

• Like 2

Don't see the issue with the "2pc" policy to be sure everyone gets a fair shot at the yardbird so that Bob and Edna don't gobble it all down before most get their chance.  Lets be real, people go bonkers over free food. 

Edited by Underdog

Don't see the issue with the "2pc" policy to be sure everyone gets a fair shot at the yardbird so that Bob and Edna don't gobble it all down before most get their chance.  Lets be real, people go bonkers over free food. 

If you don’t bother to buy enough that rationing is not an issue, you’re a poor and shouldn’t be hosting dinners.
  • Like 2

I bought plenty.  There were leftovers.  I'm not poor.

The point was to keep the typically greedy pre-teens and teenagers from going batshit crazy over the "buffet" prior to everyone getting food.

I eagerly await more edumacation from those who aren't parents and who don't have a fucking legion of friends -- headcount unknown -- slamming your house on random nights.  The beauty of having them slam MY house?  I know where my kids are.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, Viper said:

It seems ok in that they didn't take more chicken than they were supposed to. Putting it back however seems a bit of a faux pas. They should have kept it on their plate and asked if anyone wanted a skinless piece. 

This. Molesting the food and leaving it in the serving tray is definitely a faux pas

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davidg said:

Chicken and pizza are buy 25% more than you think you will need food. Because cold pizza chicken is great the next morning. Especially if you are eating it in your garage while drinking a cold beer after mowing the lawn.

This, you always buy extra.  Why? Because it feeds you the next day.  $30 meal becomes two $15 meals, better if you're poor like Jimmy

• Haha 1

I feel like the story has changed.

it went from you were serving chicken to a group of family to...you have a legion of friends and preteens who randomly show up to your neighborhood buffet and you’re trying to protect the olds, because you’re too generous.

im not aware of any neighbor who serves all you can eat chicken to kids and olds but this is starting to sound aggy.

if you are counting who took two and who didn’t, but the number of customers is unknown and uncertain, what’s the point?

just admit it, you didn’t buy enough chicken, you puckered up and decided to ration out the chicken, and shit went wrong.  The real mystery to me?  Mashed potatoes.  No matter how much of that I buy, it disappears faster than the bird.

13 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Once you fondle food served family style it should stay on your plate.

This is a double dipping type social blunder. 

Exactly.  It's idiocy for someone to think that someone should be cool with eating the rest of a piece of chicken that he started.