Teamdirtyleg

Pellet Grills and Smokers

1 hour ago, TPCJ007 said:

From what I've read you get less smoke with a higher cooking temp. If you are cooking beef ribs at 300 you wouldn't get as much smoke as if you cooked them at 225. 

you want more smoke? get one of these and throw in there with your ribs

What temps do y'all smoke at with a pellet? From what I've read you get less smoke with a higher cooking temp. If you are cooking beef ribs at 300 you wouldn't get as much smoke as if you cooked them at 225. Also, the Pit Boss has a setting for "smoke" but it's only 180, that might be good for an hour or so but at some point you've got to crank it up to 225 or 250.

I’m doing that butt at 250.

I do brisket, beef ribs, and pork ribs at 225 for the whole smoke; crutch it with foil if the smoke is going to be really long. I’ve found that I smoke pork ribs longer on the pellet smoker than I did on my old smoker to get similar (or maybe better) results. I’m doing my first pork butt tomorrow and will probably run at 250. I’ll try a prime rib roast the next time HEB has one and is open. 

I picked up the Pit Boss Classic 700 this afternoon. I feel a little ashamed because I've been rolling with a offset stick burner for over 20 years, but I guess I've gotten a little lazy and also willing to see what this new technology can do. I did the first burn in tonight and will do some pig ribs tomorrow. Got post oak pellets and plan to run at 225 or 250.

1 hour ago, TPCJ007 said:

I picked up the Pit Boss Classic 700 this afternoon. I feel a little ashamed because I've been rolling with a offset stick burner for over 20 years, but I guess I've gotten a little lazy and also willing to see what this new technology can do. I did the first burn in tonight and will do some pig ribs tomorrow. Got post oak pellets and plan to run at 225 or 250.

Been using a Traeger for years.  I like a mix of 50/50 oak and mesquite.  Mesquite adds the smoke you will want

Been using a Traeger for years.  I like a mix of 50/50 oak and mesquite.  Mesquite adds the smoke you will want
You buy that as a premixed or do you do it yourself?

8 hours ago, BearSchlong said:
18 hours ago, AustinMT said:

You buy that as a premixed or do you do it yourself?

Bag of oak, bag of mesquite.  

Anybody running the Pit boss vertical pellet smoker? I think I have convinced myself to get one. Seems some people think they have a little more smoke flavor than the grills. Not sure if true or not. 

I bought a Pit Boss 700 grill last weekend, did some pig ribs and was very pleased with the amount of smoke. They say these things get more smoke with lower temperatures so I cooked at 225F.

58 minutes ago, TPCJ007 said:

I bought a Pit Boss 700 grill last weekend, did some pig ribs and was very pleased with the amount of smoke. They say these things get more smoke with lower temperatures so I cooked at 225F.

You do get more smoke on a pellet grill at lower temps.  You’ll see that some of the recipes call for running it on the “Smoke” setting for a certain period of time before cranking it up.  I will typically run a brisket or pork butt on smoke for an hour-ish, turn to 225 then wrap at 165 and turn up the heat to 250 and finish it (occasionally bump to 275 if it stalls too long).

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

couldn't you accomplish all of this with some liquid smoke and an easy bake oven?

No, but go ahead and try.  See if you get these results:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by AustinMT

couldn't you accomplish all of this with some liquid smoke and an easy bake oven?

I was planning on smoking a 12 pound brisket on Saturday but I had a last minute recording session and had to leave town, my wife messed up the recipe but it turned out great, here is what happened:

I brined the 12 pound brisket starting Friday night then left town.
My wife on Saturday night forgot what I told her and took the brisket out of the brine and rinsed it, she then rubbed it with a mixture of ground chipotle pepper, black pepper, chili powder, sugar, $#@!in and cilantro, she then cut it in two (donâ€t ask why) and put each piece in a large freezer bag, put half a bottle of liquid smoke in each bag and put them back in the fridge, on Sunday night she put both pieces into a large metal turkey roasting pan then covered them with a mixture of Stubbs and cattlemanâ€s BBQ sauce, she cooked it at 225 for 5 hours. I was pissed with I got home and while I was yelling about her screwing up my brisket she shoves a piece of the brisket in my mouth, I almost popped a boner, it was the best $#@!ing brisket I have ever tasted outside of a restaurant. My wife is giving me the biggest $#@! eating grin along with a told you so look.

84-E15-E45-FF77-4-BD7-AC24-57-B43476-C99-A.jpg
388-B4681-4946-4-D7-E-BB3-B-24-A2-FC3-E7-D7-F.jpg
9-BC04-FAA-82-CB-4781-A7-F4-1170-E76-DA948.jpg
My wife's car can drive and park itself, doesn't make her a good driver

I was planning on smoking a 12 pound brisket on Saturday but I had a last minute recording session and had to leave town, my wife messed up the recipe but it turned out great, here is what happened:

I brined the 12 pound brisket starting Friday night then left town.
My wife on Saturday night forgot what I told her and took the brisket out of the brine and rinsed it, she then rubbed it with a mixture of ground chipotle pepper, black pepper, chili powder, sugar, $#@!in and cilantro, she then cut it in two (donâ€t ask why) and put each piece in a large freezer bag, put half a bottle of liquid smoke in each bag and put them back in the fridge, on Sunday night she put both pieces into a large metal turkey roasting pan then covered them with a mixture of Stubbs and cattlemanâ€s BBQ sauce, she cooked it at 225 for 5 hours. I was pissed with I got home and while I was yelling about her screwing up my brisket she shoves a piece of the brisket in my mouth, I almost popped a boner, it was the best $#@!ing brisket I have ever tasted outside of a restaurant. My wife is giving me the biggest $#@! eating grin along with a told you so look.
Is that story from the old site?

So what type of pellets are y'all using? I grabbed a bag of B&B post oak from academy and my ribs turned out pretty good. Anyone tried the competition blend?

14 hours ago, NateHitch said:
16 hours ago, AustinMT said:
84-E15-E45-FF77-4-BD7-AC24-57-B43476-C99-A.jpg
388-B4681-4946-4-D7-E-BB3-B-24-A2-FC3-E7-D7-F.jpg
9-BC04-FAA-82-CB-4781-A7-F4-1170-E76-DA948.jpg

My wife's car can drive and park itself, doesn't make her a good driver

But I can sleep while it cooks.

So just purchased a Pit Boss 5 vertical. 

Does anybody empty the pellets after cooks in fear of humidity swelling pellets in auger? I’m in N Texas so does get humid. 

22 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

So just purchased a Pit Boss 5 vertical. 

Does anybody empty the pellets after cooks in fear of humidity swelling pellets in auger? I’m in N Texas so does get humid. 

Live in Austin. Had a Traeger for years and have never had to empty the hopper

Nope, and I'm in Beaumont where we actually have real permanent humidity. I do keep it under a porch roof so it never gets rained on.