Jump to content
Baboontyme

Android Thread

Recommended Posts

My att branded g6 (nougat/7.0) has a "wifi-calling" toggle setting and that icon could be similar. I keep it off b/c I thought it dropped wifi initiated calls when you leave wifi and I figure it is att bloatware, but don't know for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2018 at 11:46 PM, RPM said:

I just bought a new Honor View 10 on Amazon for $499. It's made by Huawei who is really trying to get their foot in the US market and hasn't received anything but good reviews. It has pretty good specs. 6GB RAM + 128GB memory + SD slot. Kirin 970 chipset, dual sim, 5.99-inch 1080x2160 screen, Android 8.1 (Oreo) with EMUI 8.0. There's a dual-camera setup on the back, with a 16mp color sensor twinned with a 20mp monochrome sensor. 13mp camera on the front. If I read it right, it can take 3D pics.

Quite an upgrade from my Gen 1 Moto X but it was needed. It just didn't have enough memory and was starting to randomly freeze or shut down. Hope this new one lasts as long and won't lock up watching DirecTV.

honor-view-10-header.jpg

Amazon has this listed on Prime Day (7/16) for $399. That's a helluva deal on this unlocked dual sim phone with 6gb RAM, 128gb storage and can hold SD cards up to 256gb. It also has a pretty badass camera and a 6 inch screen. I'm completely happy with mine (except I paid $100 too much!). The Mate 10 Pro is on sale for $500 ($85 off). 

CNET

Edited by RPM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently switched from iphone and am having a terrible time with two things.

1) Where the hell are the apps?  I see an icon for Samsung app but am unable to find anything (Strava, Alexa).  I also see Google Play.  No matter what I search for, I don't get a result.  

2) Why do I keep getting live notifications from some of my apps?  I have a weather app which will beep when lightning is near, heavy rain, warnings, etc.. Problem is, the icon shows up on my home screen and I get a beep about every 2 mins until I force close the app.  (Just closing the app doesn't work.)  I understand I have notifications on and I want to keep it that way because I want to get a beep if something dangerous is in the area; however, I don't need continuous beeps nor do I want to have to check in to the phone and force close the app every time.  The same thing happens with a couple of other apps - like YouTube.  If my son gets on YouTube, the icon shows up on my main screen until I force close the app.  Again, just closing out of Youtube isn't enough.  I have to go into apps and force close it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fixed #1.  Apparently Google Play doesn't like @utexas.edu accounts.  Switched it to my regular google account and everything's fine.

Still annoyed by #2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I recently switched from iphone and am having a terrible time with two things.

1) Where the hell are the apps?  I see an icon for Samsung app but am unable to find anything (Strava, Alexa).  I also see Google Play.  No matter what I search for, I don't get a result.  

 2) Why do I keep getting live notifications from some of my apps?  I have a weather app which will beep when lightning is near, heavy rain, warnings, etc.. Problem is, the icon shows up on my home screen and I get a beep about every 2 mins until I force close the app.  (Just closing the app doesn't work.)  I understand I have notifications on and I want to keep it that way because I want to get a beep if something dangerous is in the area; however, I don't need continuous beeps nor do I want to have to check in to the phone and force close the app every time.  The same thing happens with a couple of other apps - like YouTube.  If my son gets on YouTube, the icon shows up on my main screen until I force close the app.  Again, just closing out of Youtube isn't enough.  I have to go into apps and force close it.

You get your apps from the Google Play Store. You need to mess around with your notification settings, or get a better weather app. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I recently switched from iphone and am having a terrible time with two things.

1) Where the hell are the apps?  I see an icon for Samsung app but am unable to find anything (Strava, Alexa).  I also see Google Play.  No matter what I search for, I don't get a result.  

2) Why do I keep getting live notifications from some of my apps?  I have a weather app which will beep when lightning is near, heavy rain, warnings, etc.. Problem is, the icon shows up on my home screen and I get a beep about every 2 mins until I force close the app.  (Just closing the app doesn't work.)  I understand I have notifications on and I want to keep it that way because I want to get a beep if something dangerous is in the area; however, I don't need continuous beeps nor do I want to have to check in to the phone and force close the app every time.  The same thing happens with a couple of other apps - like YouTube.  If my son gets on YouTube, the icon shows up on my main screen until I force close the app.  Again, just closing out of Youtube isn't enough.  I have to go into apps and force close it.

if an app runs in the background android forces it to show in the notification screen so you know it's running. If it's just a notification about an update or something, tapping it will open the app and make it go away and swiping to the right/left will dismiss it.

Edited by Viper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I recently switched from iphone and am having a terrible time with two things.

1) Where the hell are the apps?  I see an icon for Samsung app but am unable to find anything (Strava, Alexa).  I also see Google Play.  No matter what I search for, I don't get a result.  

2) Why do I keep getting live notifications from some of my apps?  I have a weather app which will beep when lightning is near, heavy rain, warnings, etc.. Problem is, the icon shows up on my home screen and I get a beep about every 2 mins until I force close the app.  (Just closing the app doesn't work.)  I understand I have notifications on and I want to keep it that way because I want to get a beep if something dangerous is in the area; however, I don't need continuous beeps nor do I want to have to check in to the phone and force close the app every time.  The same thing happens with a couple of other apps - like YouTube.  If my son gets on YouTube, the icon shows up on my main screen until I force close the app.  Again, just closing out of Youtube isn't enough.  I have to go into apps and force close it.

Step #1: throw it in the trash and don't buy Samsung again.  

 

They add way too many extraneous stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely agree.  I just had so many bad issues with my last two iPhones that I wanted to switch.  The Android has been pretty cool thus far other than having to do a google search (or come here) to figure out basic things.  For example, the #1 above.  It took me forever to understand that the issue was my e-mail address (.edu).  Why would a system be set up that, A) doesn't work with .edu, and/or, B) doesn't somewhere explicitly let the user know not to use .edu?  The fix took all of about 5 seconds.  Finding out the fix took quite awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

I have a weather app which will beep when lightning is near, heavy rain, warnings, etc.. Problem is, the icon shows up on my home screen and I get a beep about every 2 mins until I force close the app.

YOu can long press any app that is showing notification and block them.    I used to use weather channel and it showed a constant notification and no where in the app settings could I find out where to turn it off so finally I just shut off its ability to notify.   googles weather app is better for me anyway.   

 

And agreed as a long time android user.  Fuck samsung.  Buy a pixel

Edited by midtown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The answer is google. They want you to use gmail account and they own youtube.

Youtube is a hog that continuously plays "next" video until shut and won't close without extra steps. Google just wants you to keep using their shit I guess. Only app I have seen do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Youtube is a hog that continuously plays "next" video until shut and won't close without extra steps. Google just wants you to keep using their shit I guess. Only app I have seen do that.

You can turn that off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like S9 Note is being released August 9th and will go on sale August 24th.  My S6 has turned into a brick so I'll probably upgrade either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2018 at 12:26 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Fixed #1.  Apparently Google Play doesn't like @utexas.edu accounts.  Switched it to my regular google account and everything's fine.

Still annoyed by #2.

Yeah, for future reference, utexas email is gmail, but it's not. It doesn't support several Google "apps" or features, one of which is Play Store, so it's inappropriate as a "sync account" for an Android phone.

However, that is a feature, rather than a bug for general purpose email use, because you can have it as a gmail login on your PC and almost none of the spyware is engaged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After 2+ years of no issues with my S7, I accidentally dropped it yesterday and cracked the screen. The Otterbox case doesn't help if it lands perfectly flat on its face with a little rock underneath.

 

I have T-Mobile and stopped by the store today to discuss my options:

 

1) pay $150 deductible and get a replacement S7.

 

2) pay some phone repair place up to about $100 top replace the screen

 

3) upgrade to an S8, S9, S9+, etc and pay sales tax (under $100) plus a monthly payment for 2 years (did that with my S7 and wife's S7 which are paid off).

 

4) Upgrade to LG G7 ThinQ and pay sales tax and monthly payments (under $100 each). They have a B1G1 right now so my wife can get one also and we just pay for 1. Her S7 can go WiFi only and be used by the kids.

 

5) Change to some other phone they offer. They have some cheaper phones but are substantial downgrades in memory, cpu, etc. I use my phone in my job so I can't be dealing with an app crashing the phone.

 

I've gone from the S3 to the S5 to the S7. Not sure if the LG's have wireless charging. I have a wireless charger and don't want it to be wasted. Not wild about the wraparound screen edges and I'll have to buy a new case if I change models.

 

Thoughts? I didn't see Pixels offered.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy the phone in highest popular demand - s9 or s9+ - then swap it for a pixel from some shady dude on Craigslist.  Done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a poor, so I'm not paying $500+ out of pocket for a phone.

My wife really likes her S7 and doesn't want to change. Just got a free like-new replacement after her speaker stopped working. Doesn't want to change.

Maybe I should get the two G7's and sell the extra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2018 at 3:39 PM, 52-80 said:

Step #1: throw it in the trash and don't buy Samsung again.  

 

They add way too many extraneous stuff

I don't know anyone that hasn't had problems with Samsung.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't know anyone that hasn't had problems with Samsung.
Then you don't know me. Only issues I've ever had were from when I damaged it which would happen with any phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Samsung has too much bloatware for me, but I am sure the hardware is fine. There are phones with cleaner versions of Android out there that are probably cheaper too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate my LG V30. Between it and AT&T it is barely usable as a phone or connected device. Had trouble even staying connected to WiFi. That said, the music sounds great with the quad-DAC processing.

Won't get a Samsung with that ridiculous Bixby button.

I'll probably see what Verizon is offering in a couple months and ditch AT&T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

I hate my LG V30. Between it and AT&T it is barely usable as a phone or connected device. Had trouble even staying connected to WiFi. That said, the music sounds great with the quad-DAC processing.

Won't get a Samsung with that ridiculous Bixby button.

I'll probably see what Verizon is offering in a couple months and ditch AT&T. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't see the appeal of these cheap android phones,  guess "cheap" is the appeal. You want a good android phone, go with Pixel or Samsung, you get a top spec phone, with minimal compromise. You have issues running them, get an iPhone. Competition is good, and needed, but the Android competition has sucked lately. Great Samsung/terrible bloat or Great Google Software/Sketechy hardware. This year looks the same with the huge notch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pixel 3 XL looks horrible with that deep notch and large chin, but the regular pixel 3 looks great. Like a smaller version of the pixel 2 XL last year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta say I really like the notch.  Worst case, you can black out the notch to get an equivalent bezel like you already have today.  It is free real estate, normally unused by the notification icons on the top.

 

I've said and said again, if you don't want to pay top dollar for a phone, Essential is blowing out its PH-1 phone, as the company itself is faltering.  The phone itself has an incredible build - dense, solid, with titanium+ceramic construction, that is as good or better than the iPhone 4 (apple's zenith).  Due to the tremendous screen-body ratio, its got a modern 5.7" screen on a footprint similar to a 4.5" phone.  

People poo-poo the camera but I've found no issues.  Also some people have reception problems but for me it's not been a thing.  Amazingly - its best appeal is that the software is actually more stripped down than stock Android.  If that's possible.

***

And as I've vowed to not buy any phone with more software than stock Android (i.e. a Pixel).... just picked up Huawei P20 Pro and surprisingly their overlay is completely and utterly non-intrusive.  Almost tempted to say it's improved upon stock Android.  Phone overall is a beast.... not officially sold in USA I dont think but easily and readily available on gray market

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a big problem with the pixel 3 XL notch is that it's so deep, about twice the size of the notification bar. So you're either going to get a really large notification bar up top, or a regular size bar and have the notch taking up regular screen real estate. The other problem is that is comes with such a large chin. The iphone X notch I get. I don't really like the look of it, but it's there to have the screen take up almost all the face of the phone. So almost no bezel up top and bottom, I get that. But with such a large bezel at the bottom, I don't get what the Pixel 3 XL is doing. It seems like they're just adding a notch because it's the "in" thing to do now and they're just following Apple's lead here (who followed Essential's lead I guess).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2018 at 3:38 PM, midtown said:

... I used to use weather channel and it showed a constant notification and no where in the app settings could I find out where to turn it off so finally I just shut off its ability to notify.   googles weather app is better for me anyway.   ...

I use the WeatherBug app and it works fine for me.  I always get bad weather notifications, but they don't beep or make noises, so I see them when I use the phone (which is fine for me).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I gotta say I really like the notch.  Worst case, you can black out the notch to get an equivalent bezel like you already have today.  It is free real estate, normally unused by the notification icons on the top.

  

I've said and said again, if you don't want to pay top dollar for a phone, Essential is blowing out its PH-1 phone, as the company itself is faltering.  The phone itself has an incredible build - dense, solid, with titanium+ceramic construction, that is as good or better than the iPhone 4 (apple's zenith).  Due to the tremendous screen-body ratio, its got a modern 5.7" screen on a footprint similar to a 4.5" phone.  

People poo-poo the camera but I've found no issues.  Also some people have reception problems but for me it's not been a thing.  Amazingly - its best appeal is that the software is actually more stripped down than stock Android.  If that's possible.

 ***

And as I've vowed to not buy any phone with more software than stock Android (i.e. a Pixel).... just picked up Huawei P20 Pro and surprisingly their overlay is completely and utterly non-intrusive.  Almost tempted to say it's improved upon stock Android.  Phone overall is a beast.... not officially sold in USA I dont think but easily and readily available on gray market

  

 

 

P20 Pro looks awesome, especially with how good the camera is. Don't agree with you about the notch, while the notch doesn't bother me, it just seems overly deep on the Pixel XL 3 leaks, but hard pure no lag android might make up for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Viper said:

a big problem with the pixel 3 XL notch is that it's so deep, about twice the size of the notification bar. So you're either going to get a really large notification bar up top, or a regular size bar and have the notch taking up regular screen real estate. The other problem is that is comes with such a large chin. The iphone X notch I get. I don't really like the look of it, but it's there to have the screen take up almost all the face of the phone. So almost no bezel up top and bottom, I get that. But with such a large bezel at the bottom, I don't get what the Pixel 3 XL is doing. It seems like they're just adding a notch because it's the "in" thing to do now and they're just following Apple's lead here (who followed Essential's lead I guess).

Agree with you there, guessing they are keeping it the bottom chin for the speaker, but makes little sense to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I got an S9. Looks good so far. Weird getting used to the curved edges and I'm missing the home button. I've heard the Bixby button can be turned off but not remapped yet. Still learning the new features and already figuring out the ones I liked that they took away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2018 at 11:05 AM, Modessit said:
On 7/29/2018 at 8:35 AM, Dolemite said:
I don't know anyone that hasn't had problems with Samsung.

Then you don't know me. Only issues I've ever had were from when I damaged it which would happen with any phone.

Same.  I'm on my second Galaxy S_ Active with no problems.  Used the first for three years and then gave it to my FIL who is still using it.

I don't use Bixby and I disabled the Bixby button, so that's not an issue.  28 hours of battery life with the power saving mode off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some real life images of the pixel 3 xl in white are out now. looks like it comes with USB-C earbuds which is nice. That notch still looks big though.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/08/images-google-pixel-3-xl-production-unit-leak-usb-c-earbuds-box/

pixel-3xl-leak-728x393.png 

 

 

I'm definitely leaning for the regular size Pixel 3. Hopefully it comes with the earbuds too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 2:07 PM, BNB said:

I just started getting lazy about texting.

I hate typing on my phone.  So, I had been using Mighty Text.

I just read an article, Google Android is finally going to naively allow you to send and receive texts from your PC.

Same article, I didn't realize there was an app called Samsung SideSync, that allows you to do anything on your phone on a PC.  I just got it working.  It seems pretty great.

https://www.androidauthority.com/text-on-desktop-855019/

https://www.samsung.com/us/sidesync/

https://mightytext.net/

 

 

Just tried to install sidesync on my PC, constant crashing / lost connection with my S8.  Oh well, uninstalled.  Would have been nice to have!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just tried to install sidesync on my PC, constant crashing / lost connection with my S8.  Oh well, uninstalled.  Would have been nice to have!
Works fine for me. I use it often to transfer pics and videos from my phone to keep storage free. It's also good when I'm doing something but want to use the WatchESPN that sonetimes works better than the website. Or playing games on a bigger screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 2:07 PM, BNB said:

I just read an article, Google Android is finally going to naively allow you to send and receive texts from your PC.
 

i was able to do this years ago using google voice integration on sprint.  all text messages showed up in gmail.  could respond right from gmail.  lost it when i switched to tmobile.  maybe if this merger happens i'll get it back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elfenix said:

i was able to do this years ago using google voice integration on sprint.  all text messages showed up in gmail.  could respond right from gmail.  lost it when i switched to tmobile.  maybe if this merger happens i'll get it back.

Or you know, just use android  messages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Note 9 is a beast, and expensive as expected. Not sure why no black model for the U.S. 

just wait a couple of months.  samsung and all the carriers will discount the note 9 for $3-400 off.  i think samsung and android phone oems know that they can't really sell phones at $8-900 retail.  there are simply too many options at too many price points.

 

regarding samsung, you can buy bk disabler app for $2.49 and disable almost every app including boatware and system apps.  i used a similar app on my s8 and disabled all the samsung and some google shit.  phone is fucking marvelous.  great battery life and snappy as shit.  no root required.  just want to make sure you read up on what's ok to disable and what's not.  worst case is that you will have to factory reset your phone if you bork some necessary system file.

info below.

 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s9/how-to/howto-safest-to-disable-bloatware-t3763715

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

really dislike the new pixel.  that godawful notch is ugly and lazy ass design and engineering.  if you're going to have a notch, then at least make it sensible and don't have a chin.  to have both is fucking beyond stupid.

google needs to hire better design people.  you don't have to go full idiocy like johnny form over function ives but there's a ton of middle ground which would be a huge improvement over that big ass notch and chin.

and no headphone jack, no go for me.  fuck assholes who take away useful features in the name of progress.  choice motherfuckers, give it to your consumers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2018 at 2:49 PM, crash_davis said:

really dislike the new pixel.  that godawful notch is ugly and lazy ass design and engineering.  if you're going to have a notch, then at least make it sensible and don't have a chin.  to have both is fucking beyond stupid.

google needs to hire better design people.  you don't have to go full idiocy like johnny form over function ives but there's a ton of middle ground which would be a huge improvement over that big ass notch and chin.

and no headphone jack, no go for me.  fuck assholes who take away useful features in the name of progress.  choice motherfuckers, give it to your consumers.

The regular sized pixel isn't going to have a notch, that's the one I'm looking at. 

 

If you want to see a phone with a great notch design, checkout the new oppo phone. If the OnePlus 6T looks like this, it will be a very attractive phone.

banner-phone-1-bf0b390d2d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I like the S9 I got but the camera sucks compared to the S7. It works great in low light which is what they advertise but quality in zoom sucks. I used to be able to take a pic from a decent distance and then zoom and crop to get a nice clear pic of that I wanted. Now if I do that I get as blurry or pixelated pic. Using selective focus or trying to change the metering doesn't help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...